Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)


Bert Johns

Recommended Posts

On 3/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, Colt.45 said:

There is no tanking though. We're not trying to give away our assets. I'm saying the thought that we should go all out for Jimmy G or Ryan is nuts. We have a team that could have made the playoffs with slightly better QB play, yes but we also have a team that could be a long term threat if we get in position to draft a rookie QB we like. Think KC and Mahomes, or Buffalo and Allen. This is not about now or the short term, this is about the long term.

 

The difference between what you're saying and what i'm saying is that you dont seem to care the cost, you just want that best available vet QB even if it costs a 2nd in 22 and a 1st in 23.

 

If they come at a low price then yeah, lets ride... but if you're mortgaging your future to get them then it's insane and that's what the front office is saying internally. Basically, they'd probably like to get a rookie QB AND bring in a one year stop gap. 

 

No one is saying anything about tanking, i am however saying that we need to reload and that may mean settling for a QB who is less than what you accept because his price is cheap. 

That price we got for Wentz? I am betting the Colts want to pay LESS than that for Ryan or Jimmy, and those teams will be over the gun and have to concede. THAT is why we are patient. So, what happens if they dont concede? Then they can give those players to other teams or be stuck with them but it is absolutely not in our interest to pay premium for those guys. We need those picks. We have our eye on a rookie and we need those picks. This year or next. 

 

You spoke of thinking like a GM. Rule # 1, if you're going to mortgage your future, you'd better do it on sure things because if Ryan busts and you've given up your high draft picks then you're going to be looking for a new job in short order as payment for your foolishness. That's the truth. Bitter but that's how it is.

 

Chris Ballard is no fool. Yet he is extremely transparent. As a fan, if you strip yourself of emotions and think logically, he is pretty easy to anticipate AND to agree with....because he makes extremely smart decisions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

FA begins....Colts don't buy the most expensive players....

 

Fans makes comments like....G.M. doesn't have a plan....needs to be fired if it's not fixed.

 

G.M. actually has a plan, executes it pretty freaking well.

 

Whining shrivels....................yep.....same ol same ol.....

 

 


It worked out well on paper… Colts still have a TON of holes on offense.

 

Need a G,T, and some WR help.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Actually, the way an NFL G.M. should....and likely did act, was to be dissecting each and every QB option.....should the Wentz experiment fail.....right after he was traded for. Once they recognized that Wentz was not the guy moving forward (which we will never know, but was likely during the season....not after the last 2 games), he would have began an extensive plan of the reality and affordability of each and every QB, be it FA, trade, or future draft pick. I have not the slightest doubt that he did exactly that. I'll wager a guess that some QB's were simply not on their radar because of cost of acquisition, fit, or character....but I am quite confident that he inquired into every one, so as to not look focused on a particular player, and lose his position in negotiating. 

 

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that he always has a plan. I'll bet he'll soon be formulating a plan for Ryan's succession asap.  

Yes, having a list of players Ballard would acquire, were it possible to acquire them, is part of his job. Nonetheless, it was obviously not his ultimate plan to acquire Matt Ryan. The chips just fell where they did and he reacted. Again, the compensation aspect is advantageous for us, so well done to Ballard on that end, but this was not 4D chess, as they say. We might just have different definitions of what "having a plan" entails. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ballard's plan of moving on from Wentz to get a dependable vet like Ryan will work, but only if he can find the answer at longterm franchise QB for Indy within the next few drafts, preferably in the 2023 draft. Ryan would be a great QB to learn under for a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He's is older and more expensive than Wentz.  We are one of the few teams that could afford Ryan.  And we can afford him because we don't have a lot of expensive pieces that take up cap space.

 

Mattie will probably have to work with rookies.  Not a bad thing, though.

Do you think he planned for ATL to invite Watson, lose, then trade Ryan anyway?  

 

Where are you getting that Ryan is more expensive than Wentz ? They both look to have 2 years at almost the same price for each year....

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

Yes, having a list of players Ballard would acquire, were it possible to acquire them, is part of his job. Nonetheless, it was obviously not his ultimate plan to acquire Matt Ryan. The chips just fell where they did and he reacted. Again, the compensation aspect is advantageous for us, so well done to Ballard on that end, but this was not 4D chess, as they say. We might just have different definitions of what "having a plan" entails. 

Because he was patient and didnt panic.......like the fans do every year.

 

If fans ran the team they would just make every free agent they like that fits a need position the highest paid guy at their position until they run out of cap space and realize they cant think that way and be successful. 

 

Everyone points to the Rams, but what they have really been good at is not whiffing on the players they spend on. Donald, Ramsey, Stafford and Kupp. Now theybadded Robinson, not sure what hes making. Their roster really isnt that great and is extremely top heavy. But the top of that roster is truly great. They arent paying any duds top level money. Only 4 guys make over 10 million.

 

The Colts have 7 guys making over 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Actually, the way an NFL G.M. should....and likely did act, was to be dissecting each and every QB option.....should the Wentz experiment fail.....right after he was traded for. Once they recognized that Wentz was not the guy moving forward (which we will never know, but was likely during the season....not after the last 2 games), he would have began an extensive plan of the reality and affordability of each and every QB, be it FA, trade, or future draft pick. I have not the slightest doubt that he did exactly that. I'll wager a guess that some QB's were simply not on their radar because of cost of acquisition, fit, or character....but I am quite confident that he inquired into every one, so as to not look focused on a particular player, and lose his position in negotiating. 

 

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that he always has a plan. I'll bet he'll soon be formulating a plan for Ryan's succession asap.  

In military planning the various goings on at times like these are "branches and sequels" (if-then loops).  Ballard works this way, IMO.  He ALWAYS has a plan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

No more relying on the cheap Pascal contract for the Colts. Need to go sign or trade for an upgrade now!

I, for one, am going to be sorry to see Pascal go.

No, he's not starter material.  No, he isn't amazing.

But he always showed up.  He did everything anyone asked him.  From WR to Gunner to ironing everybody's jerseys (if they asked).

You should never have a Zach Pascal starting for you.  But everyone should have a Zach Pascal on their team.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really think Ballard has done much to make the team better this year. Yes, Ryan should be an upgrade but outside of that where have we gotten better. The edge, but at the expense of the secondary...Still need a starting Corner, and depth across the entire secondary. Still need a starting LT. Still need a WR to start opposite of Pittman and WR depth. TE is a big ? mark if Granson doesn't show major improvement in year 2..For having over 70 mil in cap space and really only getting an Aging stop gap QB, a player for player trade and an average free agent CB feels pretty Ballard being Ballard to me

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

He's is older and more expensive than Wentz.  We are one of the few teams that could afford Ryan.  And we can afford him because we don't have a lot of expensive pieces that take up cap space.

 

Mattie will probably have to work with rookies.  Not a bad thing, though.

Do you think he planned for ATL to invite Watson, lose, then trade Ryan anyway?  

Ryan makes $24.8M next year and $28.4M in 2023. Wentz makes $29M both years as I understand it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can Beat writers be fired? Mike Wells is absolutely the worst. Read his article on today’s move, a third grader opinion from a person who knows absolutely nothing about football. His Hate towards every move Ballard makes is so obvious, as is his poor work deliverable we hear and read daily which is unacceptable on a professional work level. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Can Beat writers be fired? Mike Wells is absolutely the worst. Read his article on today’s move, a third grader opinion from a person who knows absolutely nothing about football. His Hate towards every move Ballard makes is so obvious, as is his poor work deliverable we hear and read daily which is unacceptable on a professional work level. 

This is the new thing for talentless hacks like Dakich and Wells.......just be overly critical because it always gets more attention.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard's plan of moving on from Wentz to get a dependable vet like Ryan will work, but only if he can find the answer at longterm franchise QB for Indy within the next few drafts, preferably in the 2023 draft. Ryan would be a great QB to learn under for a year.

Bet on it. They like multiple guys in this class, and now they've set themselves up to NOT have to reach. If one of those guys falls to them, they will pull the trigger. They are somehow staying relevant, while also keeping an eye out on the future of the franchise. This isnt an easy act to pull off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Because he was patient and didnt panic.......like the fans do every year.

 

If fans ran the team they would just make every free agent they like that fits a need position the highest paid guy at their position until they run out of cap space and realize they cant think that way and be successful. 

 

Everyone points to the Rams, but what they have really been good at is not whiffing on the players they spend on. Donald, Ramsey, Stafford and Kupp. Now theybadded Robinson, not sure what hes making. Their roster really isnt that great and is extremely top heavy. But the top of that roster is truly great. They arent paying any duds top level money. Only 4 guys make over 10 million.

 

The Colts have 7 guys making over 10.

The Rams best players are a generational defensive lineman, a lockdown corner, great receivers and the quarterback. Our best players are a running back, a guard, an inside linebacker and an interior rusher. 3 out of 4 aren't in valuable positions. We're not similar at all. 

 

Also, "not panicking" is not having a plan. He's possibly managed to turn chicken poo into chicken salad thus far this offseason in the short term. Good for him but that likely won't be enough to have us go where we want to go. Especially in this ridiculous AFC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimdcoltsfan said:

I don't really think Ballard has done much to make the team better this year. Yes, Ryan should be an upgrade but outside of that where have we gotten better. The edge, but at the expense of the secondary...Still need a starting Corner, and depth across the entire secondary. Still need a starting LT. Still need a WR to start opposite of Pittman and WR depth. TE is a big ? mark if Granson doesn't show major improvement in year 2..For having over 70 mil in cap space and really only getting an Aging stop gap QB, a player for player trade and an average free agent CB feels pretty Ballard being Ballard to me

 

The free agency period is not over. Give it some time. He has a plan that fans are not privy to. There is plenty of time. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The Rams best players are a generational defensive lineman, a lockdown corner, great receivers and the quarterback. Our best players are a running back, a guard, an inside linebacker and an interior rusher. 3 out of 4 aren't in valuable positions. We're not similar at all. 

 

Also, "not panicking" is not having a plan. He's possibly managed to turn chicken poo into chicken salad thus far this offseason in the short term. Good for him but that likely won't be enough to have us go where we want to go. Especially in this ridiculous AFC.

 

 Les, you are so hung up on BEING RIGHT about this point you aren't seeing the forrest for the trees. 

 There is no getting through to you, but here is a nuggett.

 Peyton Manning played with Hall of Famers at WR, A Pro Bowl TE, a Hall of Fame RB, an excellent pass blocking o-line. We were the winningest team team ever over a decade. Manning was one and done seven times, and NEVER would have won a SB here if we hadn't traded for Inside pass rusher Booger McFarland. His interior disruption totally changed our D's effectiveness.
 Unfortunately, for whatever reason we are Very Young and very inexperienced at many positions. Life is tough, some can deal with reality, and some whine and B****  about things. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Ryan makes $24.8M next year and $28.4M in 2023. Wentz makes $29M both years as I understand it.

Ryan was more expensive from a cap perspective, but a lot of that stayed with ATL.  I think Ryan's total cap expense is more than Wentz over the next two years, but I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont put people on ignore.

Maybe you should. 

 

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

Absolute gibberish.

 

People have different opinions. Maybe you both can see something in a different perspective.

 

Leave it alone and move on.

 

image.png.16e31c248413c38bbb1ea1efbe4d6e7f.png

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Maybe you should. 

 

I love the ignore feature. I actually appreciate dissenting opinions. However, I detest whining. I respect a strong hard opinion even if it is the opposite of my own. When I see that a poster for good or bad uses this forum to always bring the neg? Ignore time. It's a personal choice and I am here to root for my team alongside other hopeful fans.

 

Once every 6 months....I go back through each person on the list and check their recent content. Did that today, and opened my viewing to about a dozen. I also believe sometimes folks change their habits. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ryan was more expensive from a cap perspective, but a lot of that stayed with ATL.  I think Ryan's total cap expense is more than Wentz over the next two years, but I could be wrong.

Nope, them be the figures according to all reports, Atlanta eats most of it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I love the ignore feature. I actually appreciate dissenting opinions. However, I detest whining. I respect a strong hard opinion even if it is the opposite of my own. When I see that a poster for good or bad uses this forum to always bring the neg? Ignore time. It's a personal choice and I am here to root for my team alongside other hopeful fans.

 

Once every 6 months....I go back through each person on the list and check their recent content. Did that today, and opened my viewing to about a dozen. I also believe sometimes folks change their habits. 

 

I think that is good to do. I don't get how sports fans spend so much time unhappy and looking for things to complain about. Enjoy the team. Why be a fan of a team if all you see is bad? 

 

Anyway, Matt Ryan has a lot of fans in Atlanta/Georgia. There are so many new fans here today. Let's show them what a great and inclusive site this is. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ryan was more expensive from a cap perspective, but a lot of that stayed with ATL.  I think Ryan's total cap expense is more than Wentz over the next two years, but I could be wrong.

 

 

That's mostly due to the fact the Atlanta restructured his deal more than once. They kicked the can down the road and are now eating 40 million. But to say that the compensation for Ryan was less than Wentz due to age AND contact size IMO is incorrect. Age .. yes but the cost to a new team would be the same for both players . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Seems like the current team building philosophy - keep your own, pay them at at or near the top of the position ceiling regardless of position; which drives the cap further north.
-Then never entertaining the creative restructuring of contracts.

 

Both seem to put immense pressure on our Draft and UDFA to be nearly perfect each off season to fill team needs ; some at critical positions.

 

Not saying I am a fan of getting into dead money scenarios, just saying the current  philosophy appears to leave little room for error to find low cost value and production. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive locked and unlocked this topic
8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ryan was more expensive from a cap perspective, but a lot of that stayed with ATL.  I think Ryan's total cap expense is more than Wentz over the next two years, but I could be wrong.

Carson is 28 this year 26 next year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ballard has traded Carson Wentz and Rock Ya Sin for:

Matt Ryan and Yannick Ngakoue

AND

moved up 9 spots in the second and third round

AND

received a third (probable second) round pick next year.

 

I will take same old same old everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, no other GM pulls that off.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Think he is saying odds are better then zero he starts which leaves us in a range from .1 to 99.9...lol
    • I read that .... then reread it.......   Are you saying that he is a guaranteed starter?   Or there is no chance that he is the starter?   Its early, I havent finished my coffee.....  It might be my denseness       Goncalves would seem to have a real chance at RG.... IMHO  
    • A couple things that took place last year and throughout the off-season that I think will pay dividends this year on the defensive side of the ball.   Brents and Jones showed, in spurts, that they have the chops to play CB in this league and with a full season under their belt plus this off-season I think they will be a very solid tandem on the outside. Add in Flowers and his growth potential and a versatile rookie in Simpson I think the CB room is just fine and ready for the next step. Will they end up with more INT's and PBU's - I certainly think so.   Another coverage area that I think has improved is a full season and off-season of learning the LB spot for Ronnie Harrison and then the drafting of Jaylon Carlies and the singing of the UDFA Craig Young. All are former Safety's that have or had made the transition to LB and bring coverage skills with them and LONG arms - all three have 33" arms or longer which means wingspan and shutting down passing lanes. If the coaching staff isn't married to playing Zaire (Contract) and Speed (Veteran) on passing downs, then 2-3 of those fella's could play in sub packages and clog up passing lanes. They did cut bait with Shaq last year so I would hope that they play the kids that can actually cover versus the highest paid fella.   The addition of Latu, though he is just one man should also help speed up the QB's eyes and lead to more errant throws that could be picked off!??!   All three of those things tied together create a perfect storm of improvement in the weakest areas of our D last year.   As for Safety - I have mixed feelings about the FS spot and there are several 'what if' scenarios:   Cross could have something click and then the mental game meets up with his physical ability - which I feel like he played decent down the stretch last year (last 2-3 games)?   Thomas could return to his rookie form.   Daniel Scott could be a pretty good option but is also technically a rookie after sitting out all last year - though mental reps and walk throughs do help from time to time.   A really off the wall thought - perhaps they move Harrison back to SS and slide Blackmon to FS if the kids (Carlies & Young) prove capable as nickel and dime coverage backers?   Denbow is not the answer....... Dabo will be on year three of using the International Roster Exception..... Maybe they try Ameer Speed at FS with his size and speed combination? Maybe his college teammate Kendall Brooks earns a spot? Maybe Abraham or Simpson take FS and run with it? Both played that spot in college. Maybe Abraham proves he can play the NB and they slide Moore back to FS like he played in college?   Lots and lots of ifs and buts.........
    • Good question    Wiki simply says he's nicknamed AD, I wonder if it had to do with Hebrew pronunciation of the word Adonai, which means Lord.. maybe, it's just that his family or friends started calling him AD  
    • Fever get their 1st win over the Sparks. Clark hit a couple of 3s from real deep. 1 sealed the game late in the 4th.
  • Members

    • TheRadiantAerynSun

      TheRadiantAerynSun 6

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Architects08

      Architects08 284

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Aaron86

      Aaron86 440

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GwinnettColt

      GwinnettColt 236

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bellevuecolt

      bellevuecolt 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • holeymoley99

      holeymoley99 2,672

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEV

      IndyEV 96

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Powerslave

      Powerslave 61

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 4,666

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 8,378

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...