Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

19 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Joel Erickson said that he was told Fisher isn’t happening. I guess Fisher could change his mind if he can’t get a job anywhere else.

That doesn't shock me. Performance aside, I haven't heard any of the OL guys mention him when they've talked about the OL group. That makes me think maybe he wasn't a great fit with the OL room, in addition to not playing particularly well most of the season.

16 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Once again Ballard is being out worked in free agency. I just read Rams receiver Robert Wood traded to the Tennessee for a 6th round draft choice. The Colts receiver room is thin and a quality receiver like Wood goes to a division rival for a stinken 6th round pick. Is Ballard sleep walking or what.

1. Your entire premise is based off of a blind assumption that our lack of signing FAs is due to Ballard being out-worked, when the reality is just that he sets firm boundaries, and doesn't let the rush of Free Agency affect what he thinks a player is worth and what he's willing to spend. There have been reports that we've been in on a lot of the top FAs this offseason, but they opted to sign somewhere else, often for an exorbitant amount of money.

Woods is a 30 year old WR coming off of a torn ACL, getting paid WR1 money, and has never had WR1 production. From a report I read, McVay really didn't want to trade Woods, but since they needed to, they wanted to do right by him and trade him to a team he wanted to go to. It isn't even that we could have had him if we had offered a 6th, because that wasn't the driving factor for them.

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think Ballard is a good talent evaluator. That’s why he usually drafts pretty well. But a good talent evaluator doesn’t make you a good GM. You have to work fast when your a GM. You can’t take forever to make decisions and mul over everything. Ballard should probably be a scout not a GM.

This kind of goes to the above. Your entire premise is based off of your own assumption that Ballard takes forever to make decisions when you or I have no idea what happens behind the scenes.

What I've come to glean about Ballard is that he's not going to walk onto the dealership lot and pay new car money on a 10 year old used car. He's either going to buy a new car or haggle the price of that used car down until it makes sense to buy.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Shive said:

What I've come to glean about Ballard is that he's not going to walk onto the dealership lot and pay new car money on a 10 year old used car. He's either going to buy a new car or haggle the price of that used car down until it makes sense to buy.

Good analogy.  Then we end up with a sensible car that will get you where you want to go, about the same as about half of the other cars.  While the guys in the expensive cars are whizzing on by you to the SB.

I don't expect him to change his spots.  I do expect him to fill glaring holes with pieces that improve the team.

That could still happen.  There are serviceable players out there.  One he fills in that QB spot, LT better be a priority.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good analogy.  Then we end up with a sensible car that will get you where you want to go, about the same as about half of the other cars.  While the guys in the expensive cars are whizzing on by you to the SB.

I don't expect him to change his spots.  I do expect him to fill glaring holes with pieces that improve the team.

That could still happen.  There are serviceable players out there.  One he fills in that QB spot, LT better be a priority.

Hope so. So far we are worse at wr, te,QB,s, special teams,oline, cb

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hope so. So far we are worse at wr, te,QB,s, special teams,oline, cb

Free Agency as a whole has pretty much grinded to a halt, most likely waiting for the rest of the QB dominos fall. I think we'll be in a much better position to sign FAs with a QB in place that isn't Sam. I feel like there's been conversations with a lot of FAs that are still out there that are just in a holding pattern waiting until we make a move for a QB. If it's the right move (Ryan or maybe Baker), I think we see some pretty quick signings.

28 minutes ago, Shive said:

Free Agency as a whole has pretty much grinded to a halt, most likely waiting for the rest of the QB dominos fall. I think we'll be in a much better position to sign FAs with a QB in place that isn't Sam. I feel like there's been conversations with a lot of FAs that are still out there that are just in a holding pattern waiting until we make a move for a QB. If it's the right move (Ryan or maybe Baker), I think we see some pretty quick signings.

Possibly...I also think the FA market as a whole was pretty weak this year. There is a lot of name recognition but there is a reason most of these guys are available.  Von Miller for 120m, Christian Kirk 72m, Randy Gregory 70m....I doubt any of these guys see the end of these contracts. Overall, this was the year to stay out of the bidding wars.  Still some good players out there but I’m a fan of the 1-2yr contracts Ballard gives out. We should see a slight uptick in signings before the draft but then it will go into the summer as teams wait to see what they have in their rosters 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Once again Ballard is being out worked in free agency. I just read Rams receiver Robert Wood traded to the Tennessee for a 6th round draft choice. The Colts receiver room is thin and a quality receiver like Wood goes to a division rival for a stinken 6th round pick. Is Ballard sleep walking or what.

Same stuff, different year. The Browns, Dolphins, Chargers all non-playoff teams last year are getting better. The Titans who were the AFC's #1 seed last year, just got better. The Colts....status quo at best....very frustrating!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Agreed, If Ballard was serious Beasley would be signed already and our slot would be taken care of....but....

There's no way Beasley would be worth what he's asking as a FA. You could easily find someone in the draft that could give you equal production this season with much higher upside.

25 minutes ago, Shive said:

There's no way Beasley would be worth what he's asking as a FA. You could easily find someone in the draft that could give you equal production this season with much higher upside.

Yes, because Ballard has been nailing our later round draft picks at WR for the last 5 off seasons so that should be simple. Beasley is a producer when healthy and the Colts desperately need another WR who produces. The WR salaries are meaningless at this point as they go up every year with the expanding salary cap. What do you think those salaries are going to look like in 3-4 years? Most of these 3-4 deals offer a good bit of guaranteed money up front and an out when needed. Every team is doing this and if the Colts do not they will be left behind quickly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JediXMan said:

He’ll look good in Blue and white.

A move like this hinges on us getting a qb like Ryan or Winston on the team first. Same with Armstead if we wanted to go that route at LT.  I think Ballard is really working the Ryan deal while praying Jameis doesn’t just re-sign with the Saints in the meantime.  Baker is probably the fallback plan.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You left out something.......nearly everyone of those guys with the expensive cars doesn't actually get to or win the SB......now can't afford to even go to dinner. So they sit there....while perhaps someone driving a sensible car keeps right on living his life. He might not get to or win the SB....but he has a shot at driving to it every year. 

Just having fun with your analogy. :sip:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I prefer to look at the long game not the instant gratification.

I do agree that folks should wait until the QB decision is made and the ensuing moves are made before trying to run the FO out of town.

Well Ballard's Into year 6, isn't that considered "long game" ? Lol 

If Ballard would have addressed the needs previously on our lack of weapons WR & TE, the cupboard wouldn't be so bare now and the need as dire to fill now......same with LT,  CB, and of course they still need a QB. 

Lots of Premium needs for a team that doesn't like to spend AND No 1st round pick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shive said:

most of ballards wr picks in the draft have been strikeouts

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

..but he has a shot at driving to it every year. 

Just having fun with your analogy. :sip:

...but you see the game better at home in front of your Big Screen UHD TV and the commercials too without paying outrageous prices for snacks. haha

Having fun with you too. :D

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well Ballard's Into year 6, isn't that considered "long game" ? Lol 

If Ballard would have addressed the needs previously on our lack of weapons WR & TE, the cupboard wouldn't be so bare now and the need as dire to fill now......same with LT,  CB, and of course they still need a QB. 

Lots of Premium needs for a team that doesn't like to spend AND No 1st round pick. 

Luck retired early and forced the FO into the QB purgatory we are currently in. I do not understand how the fans of this team cannot grasp that concept yet and the moves made by our FO were the BEST ones they could have since that August day in 2019! Andrew is still ONLY 32 years old right now.

Castonzo retired earlier than expected. He's still ONLY 33 years old right now.

What you may consider a lack of weapons are based on Campbell all of a sudden being injury prone as a NFL player. And fans are too impatient to wait for development of Patmon, Granson and Strachan which they can see everyday but we can't. It is a common fact that most WR's/TE's develop slower that other positions. But that doesn't mean going out and buying over-priced veterans is the answer either.

Doyle retired this off-season so yes he needs replaced - but Cox and Granson are still in place and will take on larger roles this year with Doyle now departed.

Almost all fans wanted TY back last year but not this year, can't have your cake and eat it too.

LASTLY.......the off-season just started last Wednesday folks, get a grip!

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Luck retired early and forced the FO into the QB purgatory we are currently in. I do not understand how the fans of this team cannot grasp that concept yet and the moves made by our FO were the BEST ones they could have since that August day in 2019! Andrew is still ONLY 32 years old right now.

What you may consider a lack of weapons are based on Campbell all of a sudden being injury prone as a NFL player. And fans are too impatient to wait for development of Patmon, Granson and Strachan which they can see everyday but we can't. It is a common fact that most WR's/TE's develop slower that other positions. But that doesn't mean going out and buying over-priced veterans is the answer either.

Doyle retired this off-season so yes he needs replaced - but Cox and Granson are still in place and will take on larger roles this year with Doyle now departed.

Almost all fans wanted TY back last year but not this year, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Amen

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

For Ballard (or any GM) this game is far more complex than it looks. There are many aspects of the game that no one can control. Even lost opportunity costs have lost opportunity costs, and delayed gratification cannot be postponed indefinitely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

For Ballard (or any GM) this game is far more complex than it looks. There are many aspects of the game that no one can control. Even lost opportunity costs have lost opportunity costs, and delayed gratification cannot be postponed indefinitely.

Yes, so his job is far more difficult than the folks who want to pretend that running their own EASports Madden team is the same......players are not just currency. They have feelings of their own and often times it is not ALWAYS about the money when signing a free agent contract. There is usually a connection to that team, coaching staff, current players, etc. that ultimately helps decide between offers. Trades work the same way - some GM's have better relationships with other GM's and trades would work smoother between the two of them......so many dynamics but people just b*tch just to b*tch like they don't understand this stuff......irritates me!

FA begins....Colts don't buy the most expensive players....

Fans makes comments like....G.M. doesn't have a plan....needs to be fired if it's not fixed.

G.M. actually has a plan, executes it pretty freaking well.

Whining shrivels....................yep.....same ol same ol.....

• Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I still don't really agree with what he's doing philosophically or long term, but he's manoeuvered nicely in trades. Getting an upgrade on Wentz and giving up less for the upgrade. And then trading a straight up worse player for a better one.

He's is older and more expensive than Wentz.  We are one of the few teams that could afford Ryan.  And we can afford him because we don't have a lot of expensive pieces that take up cap space.

Mattie will probably have to work with rookies.  Not a bad thing, though.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Fans makes comments like....G.M. doesn't have a plan....needs to be fired if it's not fixed.

Do you think he planned for ATL to invite Watson, lose, then trade Ryan anyway?  

• Like 2

Just now, Four2itus said:

I don't think you can look at what's happened this offseason and speculate there's been this huge plan all along.

Ballard has simply reacted to what's happened and made the best of it. You have to applaud him for that, but there was no plan to speak of.

• Like 1

yep Ballard and his DELAYED GRATIFICATION :).  It still amazes me how people criticize others just cus its not who they want or when they want them.  One reason why i look at football and all sports that I do its entertainment, win lose or tie ( boy do i hate ties though) atleast i have the freedom to be able to enjoy those things. 

• Like 2

The problem is also what can be done after Ryan. Will the platform be there to get our QB after? That's really what it's all about when you judge a GM nowadays. The QB and then the roster.

It's a short term move. Admittedly a good one, after seeing the compensation given up.

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

I don't think you can look at what's happened this offseason and speculate there's been this huge plan all along.

Ballard has simply reacted to what's happened and made the best of it. You have to applaud him for that, but there was no plan to speak of.

Not much was going to happen with Qbs until the Watson deal was done and most fans should have known that. After that it was all about the dominoes falling. 

That being said I do think that Ballard seen maybe a qb in a draft they worst case scenerio we do this so we can let Carson go, even if they wanted to keep Carson with all the "noise" that was going on if Wentz didn't have any effect from just the Philly ordeal combine that with the noise from Indy I'm sure something was being rattled there I don't see how it wouldnt rattle anybodys confidence a lil atleast.

2 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The problem is also what can be done after Ryan. Will the platform be there to get our QB after? That's really what it's all about when you judge a GM nowadays. The QB and then the roster.

It's a short term move. Admittedly a good one, after seeing the compensation given up.

Colts might be good now till the Arch comes to town.

CB really needs to find at least 2 playmakers imo to give Ryan a chance.  A top flight WR and TE.  I think they can probably get by at LG with who they have.  But to bring in a Ryan...who is known for passing the ball...and not give him more weapons than what he has now is a great disservice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Actually, the way an NFL G.M. should....and likely did act, was to be dissecting each and every QB option.....should the Wentz experiment fail.....right after he was traded for. Once they recognized that Wentz was not the guy moving forward (which we will never know, but was likely during the season....not after the last 2 games), he would have began an extensive plan of the reality and affordability of each and every QB, be it FA, trade, or future draft pick. I have not the slightest doubt that he did exactly that. I'll wager a guess that some QB's were simply not on their radar because of cost of acquisition, fit, or character....but I am quite confident that he inquired into every one, so as to not look focused on a particular player, and lose his position in negotiating. 

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that he always has a plan. I'll bet he'll soon be formulating a plan for Ryan's succession asap.