Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

Just now, Bluesmith said:

Ballard has traded Carson Wentz and Rock Ya Sin for:

Matt Ryan and Yannick Ngakoue

AND

moved up 9 spots in the second and third round

AND

received a third (probable second) round pick next year.

I will take same old same old everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, no other GM pulls that off.

I agree 100%, he has made up for everything now and then some. Some people just don't have patience, Ballard is good. We will win the division with a QB that is good and competent. Their was a poll put up by @EastStreetwho would have the better record, us, Washington, or Philly. That is easy to answer to now.

46 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

AND

AND

I will take same old same old everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, no other GM pulls that off.

les snead does so much better

17 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I, for one, am going to be sorry to see Pascal go.

No, he's not starter material.  No, he isn't amazing.

But he always showed up.  He did everything anyone asked him.  From WR to Gunner to ironing everybody's jerseys (if they asked).

You should never have a Zach Pascal starting for you.  But everyone should have a Zach Pascal on their team.

I agree. Pascal was a good Colt and I meant no disrespect to him. I feel like Ballard relied on his relatively cheap contract at WR which kept him from upgrading the position. Every team needs a few Pascals to round out their roster.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

AND

AND

This needs to be reposted repeatedly. Ballard has turned the proverbial sow’s ear into a silk purse. Terrific job. He still has work to do on the receiving corps, LT and the secondary. I’m hoping for Landry at WR; the Badger at FS; and, if he can pull it off without killing the team’s future cap, Armstead at LT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluesmith said:

AND

AND

And let's not leave out that Ballard also oversaw the changing out of defensive coordinators in such a manner that [a] we no longer play ultra-soft on 3rd and long, [b] won't have to make wholesale personnel changes to implement the new defense, and [c] have a new coordinator that has had previous success in the past and not some position coach who's never done this before.

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This needs to be reposted repeatedly. Ballard has turned the proverbial sow’s ear into a silk purse. Terrific job. He still has work to do on the receiving corps, LT and the secondary. I’m hoping for Landry at WR; the Badger at FS; and, if he can pull it off without killing the team’s future cap, Armstead at LT. 

purse handbag GIF by KARA- imagine a purse with Wings in it, that was Ballard :banana:

27 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

he changed his method of getting talent, ballard does the same old same old, a great gm changes when his method is not working

I think Ballard dealt his way through this exceptionally well.  Our team is better today than it was at the end of the season. I was a huge supporter of Wentz but will say we are better on offense and defense now. We still haven’t finished free agency and we are not to the draft yet where Ballard is best. Ballard has changed his method bc he has been poor drafting on the DL so he traded for a proven pass rusher. The team still has holes but some of them were addressed with the QB change. I think Ryan will use Hines and our TEs better than Wentz. That will provide a lot in the weapons category. I’m pumped bc we actually have a legitimate shot at winning our division.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think Ballard dealt his way through this exceptionally well.  Our team is better today than it was at the end of the season. I was a huge supporter of Wentz but will say we are better on offense and defense now. We still haven’t finished free agency and we are not to the draft yet where Ballard is best. Ballard has changed his method bc he has been poor drafting on the DL so he traded for a proven pass rusher. The team still has holes but some of them were addressed with the QB change. I think Ryan will use Hines and our TEs better than Wentz. That will provide a lot in the weapons category. I’m pumped bc we actually have a legitimate shot at winning our division.  

John Carroll Lynch Curveball GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

John Carroll Lynch Curveball GIF by ABC Network

Ballard has exceeded my expectations with his adjustments. I know I had been hard on you bc you were a huge Jimmy G supporter. Ballard going out and getting Ryan is something we both agree on as an improvement over both Wentz and Jimmy.  I still think we need a playmaking FS and tackle should be addressed in the draft if the value is there. We also need some more depth on the OL. I personally think we are good at WR and TE but will welcome additions via BPA in the draft. Matt Ryan should provide two good years and make us competitive in our division and allow us to draft someone to groom. I don’t think we are SB contenders but if we can make the playoffs we can win games. The key is getting into the playoffs bc it’s hard to win a championship. I just want a legitimate shot to win games and if we don’t that’s ok. 

40 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

he changed his method of getting talent, ballard does the same old same old, a great gm changes when his method is not working

He has been their GM since 2012. At the 5 year mark the Rams still hadnt had a winning season. And, if you were in charge he wouldve been fired, and they likely never go to or win a SB.

It took him 9 years to figure out the QB situation, and he had many more high 1st round picks than Ballard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Ballard has exceeded my expectations with his adjustments. I know I had been hard on you bc you were a huge Jimmy G supporter. Ballard going out and getting Ryan is something we both agree on as an improvement over both Wentz and Jimmy.  I still think we need a playmaking FS and tackle should be addressed in the draft if the value is there. We also need some more depth on the OL. I personally think we are good at WR and TE but will welcome additions via BPA in the draft. Matt Ryan should provide two good years and make us competitive in our division and allow us to draft someone to groom. I don’t think we are SB contenders but if we can make the playoffs we can win games. The key is getting into the playoffs bc it’s hard to win a championship. I just want a legitimate shot to win games and if we don’t that’s ok. 

I wanted Matt more than anyone but I was high on Jimmy because I really didn't think we could get Matt. I definitely didn't want to draft a QB or roll with Sam. I didn't want Mariota either.

11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Btw, I know this is off topic but I think Lynch priced Jimmy G so high bc he may want to keep him. My hot take is Trey Lance is a possible bust and Jimmy G is the 49ers best chance to win. 

I doubt it. I would bet teams called the 49ers this off-season & asked about Lance. If they wanted to unload Lance & keep Jimmy they would

14 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I doubt it. I would bet teams called the 49ers this off-season & asked about Lance. If they wanted to unload Lance & keep Jimmy they would

It’s too early to bail on Lance. I could see Lynch setting a price for Jimmy G that he is willing to roll with a guy not ready.  Otherwise, Jimmy can come back and give Lance another half to full year to learn and the 49ers stay competitive 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

He has been their GM since 2012. At the 5 year mark the Rams still hadnt had a winning season. And, if you were in charge he wouldve been fired, and they likely never go to or win a SB.

It took him 9 years to figure out the QB situation, and he had many more high 1st round picks than Ballard. 

So if we are comparing Ballard to Snead at the 5 year point you can't say Snead was better than Ballard.  To win the Super Bowl it took him about a decade to build that roster.  

Guess we need to give Ballard a few more years to match Snead's performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

So if we are comparing Ballard to Snead at the 5 year point you can't say Snead was better than Ballard.  To win the Super Bowl it took him about a decade to build that roster.  

Hey don't let the facts get in the way of irrational complaining! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

When did he become good

When did Ballard?

We aren’t any better than when he took over and we have needs at multiple key positions. 
In the worst division in the AFC we can’t even get a wild card let alone the division title. 

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

For that to be the fact Ballard would have to change his approach, like Snead. He won’t though. 

I don’t hate Ballard, but in my book this is the final season he gets to prove his method works. 

@Superman said it best, though, in the Ryan thread. Ballard seems to be stuck between wanting us to compete and to build our team through the draft and by managing the cap.
We’re just not in a place right now where we can compete against the big boys.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

When did Ballard?

We aren’t any better than when he took over and we have needs at multiple key positions. 
In the worst division in the AFC we can’t even get a wild card let alone the division title. 

For that to be the fact Ballard would have to change his approach, like Snead. He won’t though. 

I don’t hate Ballard, but in my book this is the final season he gets to prove his method works. 

@Superman said it best, though, in the Ryan thread. Ballard seems to be stuck between wanting us to compete and to build our team through the draft and by managing the cap.
We’re just not in a place right now where we can compete against the big boys.

Why can’t we compete against top teams? We competed in nearly every single game last year outside of the most obvious one, week 17. No team blew us out and there isn’t a single playoff team we played that I feel really out matched us. 

With better leadership via Ryan and the new coaches I think this team has enough talent to win many games. We aren’t the flashiest of teams but we don’t need to be. We will be in the division race come the end of the year and that’s all we need to worry about right now. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cjrulli said:

Why can’t we compete against top teams? We competed in nearly every single game last year outside of the most obvious one, week 17. No team blew us out and there isn’t a single playoff team we played that I feel really out matched us. 

With better leadership via Ryan and the new coaches I think this team has enough talent to win many games. We aren’t the flashiest of teams but we don’t need to be. We will be in the division race come the end of the year and that’s all we need to worry about right now. 

Well, our roster is just worse in my opinion. 

-Our WR group is bottom third in the league. 
-Our Oline was 29th (or 30th?) in pass protection last season. And we let our starting right guard walk and we’re essentially playing an unknown at LT (even if I have high hopes for him). 
Yes they were injured last season, but I’m not sure we’ll see a top 5 unite this year. 
-Ngokue should be an instant upgrade at the Dline but it came at the cost of worsening an already quistionable CB group. 
-We need an actual FS. 
-And our TE1 retired and he was hardly a threat in the passing game last season. 

Right now I don’t see us as a better team than last year. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Well, our roster is just worse in my opinion. 

-Our WR group is bottom third in the league. 
-Our Oline was 29th (or 30th?) in pass protection last season. And we let our starting right guard walk and we’re essentially playing an unknown at LT (even if I have high hopes for him). 
Yes they were injured last season, but I’m not sure we’ll see a top 5 unite this year. 
-Ngokue should be an instant upgrade at the Dline but it came at the cost of worsening an already quistionable CB group. 
-We need an actual FS. 
-And our TE1 retired and he was hardly a threat in the passing game last season. 

Right now I don’t see us as a better team than last year. 

Solid points and do agree we have weak spots. Though I do disagree that we aren’t a better team this year, even before the draft. 

I definitely think we are better then we were last year. None of the guys we lost added much value last season outside of Odum and Rock IMO.

Rock is offset by Yannick and that is a net positive. Replacing Odum will probably be via the draft. 

By mid season we were rolling out backups at both safety positions. We hopefully get a healthy Leonard and Khari and Blackmon back. 

This team still managed to win 9 games against some very good teams. Lost some really close games to playoffs teams, high seeds and Super Bowl winners. 

Every single team in the NFL has weaknesses and spots where they could use more depth, every single one. Our talent is spread out across all sides of the ball. We aren’t loaded one way or another and that’s ok. We can win with that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Solid points and do agree we have weak spots. Though I do disagree that we aren’t a better team this year, even before the draft. 

I definitely think we are better then we were last year. None of the guys we lost added much value last season outside of Odum and Rock IMO.

Rock is offset by Yannick and that is a net positive. Replacing Odum will probably be via the draft. 

By mid season we were rolling out backups at both safety positions. We hopefully get a healthy Leonard and Khari and Blackmon back. 

This team still managed to win 9 games against some very good teams. Lost some really close games to playoffs teams, high seeds and Super Bowl winners. 

Every single team in the NFL has weaknesses and spots where they could use more depth, every single one. Our talent is spread out across all sides of the ball. We aren’t loaded one way or another and that’s ok. We can win with that. 

We have made clear upgrades at the top positions on offense (QB) and defense (DE), no doubt

Neither Willis or Blackmon are true FS, though, and we need that. 

Losing Glow, Fisher and Rock and starting Pinter, Pryor and Rodgers also means we have lost quality depth at the oline and CB on top of at best matching the quality at RG and CB while maybe upgrading a little at LT. 

We got sweeped by the Titans and even lost without them having Henry. 
The Jags once again beat us at home and outplayed us for 3 quarters at our place. 

I’m just not conviced we’re more than a 9-11 win team and a fringe playoff team. 

This is before the draft of course, but Ballard, in my opinion, has a bad habit of drafting projects rather than difference makers, meaning they won’t contribute much if anything this year anyway. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We have made clear upgrades at the top positions on offense (QB) and defense (DE), no doubt

Neither Willis or Blackmon are true FS, though, and we need that. 

Losing Glow, Fisher and Rock and starting Pinter, Pryor and Rodgers also means we have lost quality depth at the oline and CB on top of at best matching the quality at RG and CB while maybe upgrading a little at LT. 

We got sweeped by the Titans and even lost without them having Henry. 
The Jags once again beat us at home and outplayed us for 3 quarters at our place. 

I’m just not conviced we’re more than a 9-11 win team and a fringe playoff team. 

This is before the draft of course, but Ballard, in my opinion, has a bad habit of drafting projects rather than difference makers, meaning they won’t contribute much if anything this year anyway. 

I think Henry played both games against us got injured at the very end of the second meeting, no?

14 hours ago, Nyvart said:

I think it also needs to be said that Ballard cost us a 1 with Wentz and Rock was 34th overall.  Those hurt bad.

He's done well this offseason for sure but those two whiffs took a toll.

That's true, but it's job to field the best team possible (with all things considered).

Carson was a gamble that, if it paid off, would have given us a franchise QB for years to come.  We know Frank vouched for him and thought he could 'fix' his issues.

A lot has been written about how he wasn't a leader, a good fit in the locker room, etc., but until that comes out of the players mouths it's all second hand gossip.

What you have to admit is that Ballard made the best of that whiff, he essentially traded Ryan for Carson without losing a draft pick and got him at a better salary.

As far as Rock, yes he was starting to come on.  But I'll take a proven edge rusher over a proven CB every time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

That's true, but it's job to field the best team possible (with all things considered).

Carson was a gamble that, if it paid off, would have given us a franchise QB for years to come.  We know Frank vouched for him and thought he could 'fix' his issues.

A lot has been written about how he wasn't a leader, a good fit in the locker room, etc., but until that comes out of the players mouths it's all second hand gossip.

What you have to admit is that Ballard made the best of that whiff, he essentially traded Ryan for Carson without losing a draft pick and got him at a better salary.

As far as Rock, yes he was starting to come on.  But I'll take a proven edge rusher over a proven CB every time.

The problem with losing Rock is that he was the only remaining starting outside corner. X. Rhodes is now a free agent. I know that Rogers started a few games, but that's because he was a back-up forced to start due to other players' injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

The problem with losing Rock is that he was the only remaining starting outside corner. X. Rhodes is now a free agent. I know that Rogers started a few games, but that's because he was a back-up forced to start due to other players' injuries.

They must like what they see in Rodgers and Tell, and figure that Facyson will add depth.  Rhodes dropped off last season, maybe due to injury and age.  He probably won't be back.  You have to admit, the CB talent now is still better than the edge rusher talent (before the trade).  

Yes, it's tough losing Rock.  Not only a guy who was coming on, but a great person and teammate.  

But I'd still take a proven edge rusher over a CB any day.

• Like 2