Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)


Bert Johns
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Got you. To the first underlined, I am still not sure that they missed on both those defensive players. I want to see what Gus does with them. Second, assuming a TE is not the guy in one year is folly. I don't think they missed, and am patient to see what happens this year. 

 

To the second underlined....do you know it was talent....or was it development/scheme?

I like the young guys (Kwity and Dayo). I don't think they are misses. My issue with how the D-line was handled last year has more to do with letting vets go, (Autry and Houston) who were reliable for us, (both who went on to have better seasons with their respective teams), and then relying I. Rochelle to replace Autry. Also, we had to rely on rookies, Kwity and Dayo, (Dayo coming off an injury). It's fine to give the rookies playing time so that they develop, but you should have quality starters ahead of them. We didn't. Aside from Buckner, and the rookies, the rest of the D-lineman were average NFL players and this is where I thought we could have upgraded during last free agency.

 

As for talent vs. development vs. scheme, I'm not sure that there is any way to truly discern which was the root cause, but if I had to guess, it would be a combination of lack of talent and scheme. I do think that Kwity developed nicely and Dayo was coming along at the end of the year. When Autry was signed from the Raiders, he was somewhat raw. He developed nicely during his time with the Colts, so we have evidence of players developing along the D-line.  I think the scheme was very vanilla and allowed offenses to easily plan for our lack of attacking defense. We mainly relied on a four man rush, without many stunts and we blitzed very infrequently. This made it easy for opposing offenses to neutralize our rush.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Wentz for an older Matt Ryan, who hasn’t really been a better QB than Wentz the past few years

You can't be serious? Ryan has played well despite diddly poo to work with. Their WRs look worse than ours. He's lost Jones, Ridley, all he really has is PItts. Worthless RBs and not exactly an elite OL. 

 

I think the Ryan move was great, and lucky for us. But Ballard doesn't appear to be making ANY effort to upgrade in key places like WR, OL, TE (I could go on). Getting Ryan is a "win now" move but he isn't acting like it.

 

He's made some great moves of us while he's been here but also some serious whiffs. I'm seriously questioning if we still should have him as GM. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jonjon said:

You can't be serious? Ryan has played well despite diddly poo to work with. Their WRs look worse than ours. He's lost Jones, Ridley, all he really has is PItts. Worthless RBs and not exactly an elite OL. 

 

I think the Ryan move was great, and lucky for us. But Ballard doesn't appear to be making ANY effort to upgrade in key places like WR, OL, TE (I could go on). Getting Ryan is a "win now" move but he isn't acting like it.

 

He's made some great moves of us while he's been here but also some serious whiffs. I'm seriously questioning if we still should have him as GM. 

Hope we can get Dotson  at wr that guy is a monster

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hope we can get Dotson  at wr that guy is a monster

I doubt we'll get any of those top tier guys, but we can hope. WR crop is deep. If not, maybe one of the top-rated TEs and do a lot of 2 TE sets. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add a wide receiver, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue and trades away Rock-Ya-Sin

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add any players in FA, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Fixed it for you

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

 

So when is that going to be, when he's forced to do it on draftday when it's basically mandatory for every team to participate? Oh wait, we don't have a 1st round pick there either, so looks like we're sitting out day 1 of the draft as well. At least we'll get the depth pieces we were supposed to get in FA (Ballard can't even do that for us unlike previous years).

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add a wide receiver, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

Some just complain or they wouldn’t have anything to say otherwise.  I want players added too but there is still a draft and more of a free agent period to go.  Patience is required.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add a wide receiver, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

the problem is salary cap after saving for draft picks there is around 19 million left its gonna be hard to fill left tackle , wr , corner right guard and tight end .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is salary cap after saving for draft picks there is around 19 million left its gonna be hard to fill left tackle , wr , corner right guard and tight end .

LT and RG have already been filled.  Like it or not Ballard said Pryor is going to be the LT.  RG is going to be Pinter unless they re-sign Reed to compete but that doesn’t look to be happening.  Also the Colts have not touched restructuring contract they can open more space if they need it.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add a wide receiver, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

Where's the fun in that  ;-)

 

I never complained about the pass rush or the QB situation. In fact, while I thought it was a highly risky if not flat out dumb move going in, I applauded cutting his losses with Wentz this year and would have been fine taking our lumps this year with Sam E or whoever and aiming for the QB of the future next year.  

 

But as I've said before, acquiring Ryan now - a talented but aging QB - shifts us from a potential rebuild to win-now mode. That means surrounding top talent like Ryan and Taylor with as much supporting cast as you can. Ballard doesn't appear to be even trying to do that. He seems convinced he has all the talent he needs on offense, which is laughable. We are IMO as we stand now a borderline wild card-level team, but not SB caliber. We can address some needs in the draft, but drafting 2d-tier (or less) WRs or OL doesn't bode well to get us to the next level. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

LT and RG have already been filled.  Like it or not Ballard said Pryor is going to be the LT.  RG is going to be Pinter unless they re-sign Reed to compete but that doesn’t look to be happening.  Also the Colts have not touched restructuring contract they can open more space if they need it.   

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jonjon said:

You can't be serious? Ryan has played well despite diddly poo to work with. Their WRs look worse than ours. He's lost Jones, Ridley, all he really has is PItts. Worthless RBs and not exactly an elite OL. 

 

I think the Ryan move was great, and lucky for us. But Ballard doesn't appear to be making ANY effort to upgrade in key places like WR, OL, TE (I could go on). Getting Ryan is a "win now" move but he isn't acting like it.

 

He's made some great moves of us while he's been here but also some serious whiffs. I'm seriously questioning if we still should have him as GM. 

This isn’t true 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another day yesterday, no FA signings. 

 

I feel at this point it's fair to say if Ballard doesn't do something that makes us definite playoff contenders by the end of the draft, then we should fire him immediately and promote Ed Dodds as our new GM. Morocco Brown can be promoted to assistant GM. It may not sound fair, but we are just wasting time at this point. We have had plenty of opportunities, and the effort and care for this team by Ballard isn't there. I think Ed Dodds would be an upgrade.

 

The cherry on top of this would be if we traded a 3rd or 4th round pick for Devante Parker, when there have been 30 or so signable WRs in FA that we didn't get for free, and another 30 or so guys in the draft that we can get that are 6-8 years younger.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

 

So when is that going to be, when he's forced to do it on draftday when it's basically mandatory for every team to participate? Oh wait, we don't have a 1st round pick there either, so looks like we're sitting out day 1 of the draft as well. At least we'll get the depth pieces we were supposed to get in FA (Ballard can't even do that for us unlike previous years).

Nope, not even then. Basically, you can never make any judgement about the team or how it's being built. Ever.

 

Don't you know that after draft day you need to wait until 3 years to truly assess the players that have been drafted? So, no, not even after draft day can you make any judgements. You just have to trust the process. Even if you just missed the playoffs or haven't won the division since 2014. Trust the process.

 

Not even on a forum where fans can come together and talk freely about their thoughts on the team can you make any judgements. So tone it down and get in line, bud. 

 

Obviously I'm being sarcastic.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jonjon said:

Where's the fun in that  ;-)

 

I never complained about the pass rush or the QB situation. In fact, while I thought it was a highly risky if not flat out dumb move going in, I applauded cutting his losses with Wentz this year and would have been fine taking our lumps this year with Sam E or whoever and aiming for the QB of the future next year.  

 

But as I've said before, acquiring Ryan now - a talented but aging QB - shifts us from a potential rebuild to win-now mode. That means surrounding top talent like Ryan and Taylor with as much supporting cast as you can. Ballard doesn't appear to be even trying to do that. He seems convinced he has all the talent he needs on offense, which is laughable. We are IMO as we stand now a borderline wild card-level team, but not SB caliber. We can address some needs in the draft, but drafting 2d-tier (or less) WRs or OL doesn't bode well to get us to the next level. 

 

 

I'll do you one better.

I believe that we were in win-now mode last year.  Thus, the Wentz deal, the Fisher deal, etc.  Probably the only non win-now thing we did last year was trust in Paye and Dayo to provide pass rush for us.  Being in win-now mode last year made last year's collapse sting that much more.  We'd done it.  We were winning.  We were dangerous.  And then, poof, nothing.  Worse than nothing.

I think now we're in win-or-else mode.  If what we do this year doesn't get us into the playoffs, then I fear we've effectively peaked, and it doesn't get any better than this.  And that sucks.  Whether they admit it or not, I think Ballard's and Reich's seats are hot.  Not blazing hot.  But hot.  And there are some things that we just can't do this year.  Like find a long term solution at LT.  All we can do is the best we can do.  Put on a helmet, and play.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some just complain or they wouldn’t have anything to say otherwise.  I want players added too but there is still a draft and more of a free agent period to go.  Patience is required.

delayed gratification , year six and waiting

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Dropping this pebble in the calm waters

 

 

That's mostly based on Matt Ryan and the upgrade from Elighner. Remember, the true upgrade is Wentz to Ryan, which isn't huge. The Broncos are up there because of upgrading Lock to Wilson, and the Browns are up there because of Mayfield to Watson. Really only the Raiders and Dolphins are true FA upgrades in the top 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Dropping this pebble in the calm waters

 

 

 

I have seen this list (the full one was previously posted). I still don't see it. Would love to see how they arrived at numbers for each team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

I have seen this list (the full one was previously posted). I still don't see it. Would love to see how they arrived at numbers for each team.

I guess seeing what the team was able to do with Wentz holding them back, and replacing him with Ryan while getting Ngakoue and changing the defensive scheme is the reason. Idk if I buy it considering we’ve not added any offensive weapons. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

I guess seeing what the team was able to do with Wentz holding them back, and replacing him with Ryan while getting Ngakoue and changing the defensive scheme is the reason. Idk if I buy it considering we’ve not added any offensive weapons. 

 

No doubt we are better at QB and ER, but is that really enough for second most improved. I would just like to see how they came to that conclusion and how other teams moves were graded comparatively.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, esmort said:

 

No doubt we are better at QB and ER, but is that really enough for second most improved. I would just like to see how they came to that conclusion and how other teams moves were graded comparatively.

They are probably basing it on Denver and Indy’s rosters are full of talent.  Yes each team still has holes but players will be added and roster filled out. I think a this Matt Ryan led squad beats last years team 70% of the time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

They are probably basing it on Denver and Indy’s rosters are full of talent.  Yes each team still has holes but players will be added and roster filled out. I think a this Matt Ryan led squad beats last years team 70% of the time. 

I think it’s based off the idea that people around football outside of this forum felt they won in spite of Wentz last year and he did more to hold them back then help them.  Around here people seem to feel Wentz was better than most people outside of this forum so and feel the team was worse than others do.  Depending on where you fall on those opinions probably decides how you feel about the Colts off-season.  If you are of the first mindset you feel like Ryan alone makes this team significantly better and that’s before you add a big name pass rusher.  If you felt Wentz was fine and the issue was the players around him then you are probably worried about the Colts right now.  Time will tell who has the right opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s based off the idea that people around football outside of this forum felt they won in spite of Wentz last year and he did more to hold them back then help them.  Around here people seem to feel Wentz was better than most people outside of this forum so and feel the team was worse than others do.  Depending on where you fall on those opinions probably decides how you feel about the Colts off-season.  If you are of the first mindset you feel like Ryan alone makes this team significantly better and that’s before you add a big name pass rusher.  If you felt Wentz was fine and the issue was the players around him then you are probably worried about the Colts right now.  Time will tell who has the right opinion.

I felt like Wentz was fine but also believe Ryan is better.  Plus a new EDGE and the hope this new scheme on D will create more pass rush is why I think this team is better than last years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a commander fan I’ll just say this , I don’t think it’s Ballard that’s the issue but instead it’s the owner . He’s just cheap and I really believe that because no way you have the most cap space in the NFL and do nothing .

 

 


 I do not like the Matt Ryan move for you guys . His arm been more declined than before and his INT ratio has increased . I actually think who ever you draft as a rookie will take his position . 
good luck this season

 

i already have my team losing to u guys

we don’t do well at all against Matt Ryan and in dome games 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I felt like Wentz was fine but also believe Ryan is better.  Plus a new EDGE and the hope this new scheme on D will create more pass rush is why I think this team is better than last years. 

I don’t think Matt Ryan is better at this point .

 

no evident of that unless we talking 2016-2018 version .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, jonjon said:

You can't be serious? Ryan has played well despite diddly poo to work with. Their WRs look worse than ours. He's lost Jones, Ridley, all he really has is PItts. Worthless RBs and not exactly an elite OL. 

 

I think the Ryan move was great, and lucky for us. But Ballard doesn't appear to be making ANY effort to upgrade in key places like WR, OL, TE (I could go on). Getting Ryan is a "win now" move but he isn't acting like it.

 

He's made some great moves of us while he's been here but also some serious whiffs. I'm seriously questioning if we still should have him as GM. 


Last season, Ryan didn’t have anything to work with other than Pitts. That’s why I am looking at more than last year. 
 

The prior two seasons (2019 and 2020), Ryan definitely had receiving weapons, better than the Colts at this moment. And he put up middle of the pack numbers.
 

I think Ryan is still a good QB. But it seems there is a narrative that he’s a huge improvement over Wentz. But Wentz also put up middle of the pack numbers (just with more volatility) prior to and while he was here. So setting aside the volatility, the recent numbers don’t suggest a massive improvement. 
 

I get stats aren’t everything, but that’s how I usually base my opinion. At this point though, I am just repeating myself. 
 

I do agree with the lack of moves. Which is why I also questioned the idea that the Colts have drastically improved so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What’s the over under on left handed passes by Ryan

that alone may be the reason we are ranked 2nd most improved 

 

just his football intellect, his ability to read defenses and audible will be a pleasure to watch


if his arm strength has as some are saying diminished his play action against a stacked box for Taylor will help in that dept 

 

And he will not only see the lay ups He will hit them

 

we needed an upgrade at QB and an Edge rusher hopefully we got the right guys to fill those holes 

 

more work to be done but those had to be up there as our two biggest areas of need

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:


Last season, Ryan didn’t have anything to work with other than Pitts. That’s why I am looking at more than last year. 
 

The prior two seasons (2019 and 2020), Ryan definitely had receiving weapons, better than the Colts at this moment. And he put up middle of the pack numbers.
 

I think Ryan is still a good QB. But it seems there is a narrative that he’s a huge improvement over Wentz. But Wentz also put up middle of the pack numbers (just with more volatility) prior to and while he was here. So setting aside the volatility, the recent numbers don’t suggest a massive improvement. 
 

I get stats aren’t everything, but that’s how I usually base my opinion. At this point though, I am just repeating myself. 
 

I do agree with the lack of moves. Which is why I also questioned the idea that the Colts have drastically improved so far.

Why are you "setting aside the volatility"? 

 

Thats a pretty important aspect of that position in particular. You have to be dependable in important situations.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's mine: We're just a couple/few pieces away and we don't have a 1st round pick. Ryan is an upgrade, but we were in desperate need of a couple WR's, a pass catching TE, and OT that we can rely on, a quality DE and general depth. Armed with 70 million in cap space we signed a few of our own to low value contracts and took on Ryan's contract. We made the trade to get the DE, but lost a quality CB that needs to be replaced. Every team well under us in cap room is making move after move. Teams like the Rams, who also don't have a 1st, found ways to improve. The Dolphins seem able to sign everyone they want. My issue with Ballard is, he seems to always be discount shopping. Pascal is gone, TY is a shell of himself even if he returns, which doesn't look likely. At least shore up that position..

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 6:31 PM, John Hammonds said:

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't address the pass rush, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard trades for Ngakue

Colts Fans: If Ballard doesn't address the quarterback, I'm gonna lose it!

Ballard acquires Ryan

Colts Fans:  If Ballard doesn't add a wide receiver, I'm gonna lose it!

 

Let the man work.  We can complain about the team he's built after he's built it.

Exactly!  Free Agency is still on going, the draft is a month away, and players get cut after the draft.  This isn't the team that will be on the field in September, there will be some new faces.  People just need to be patient.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

 My issue with Ballard is, he seems to always be discount shopping.

Exactly. Ballard acts like he's managing a 401K. Again I'm not suggesting he go crazy and put us in cap hell, but he goes too far the other way. God forbid he "overpay" for someone (in his mind), even if it's a huge upgrade and desperately needed. He'd rather stick with guys who have been backups and bit players for a reason. If you're going to do that, why even bother with Ryan? It just doesn't make sense.  And there were guys who could have really upgraded us that didn't cost a ton. Schuster is making what $3-4M a year? He would have been a nice addition. etc.

 

Anyway, we will see. A lot of good comments here even though I don't agree with all of them. I wonder if Harrison is still in good shape.  ;-) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Exactly. Ballard acts like he's managing a 401K. Again I'm not suggesting he go crazy and put us in cap hell, but he goes too far the other way. God forbid he "overpay" for someone (in his mind), even if it's a huge upgrade and desperately needed. He'd rather stick with guys who have been backups and bit players for a reason. If you're going to do that, why even bother with Ryan? It just doesn't make sense.  And there were guys who could have really upgraded us that didn't cost a ton. Schuster is making what $3-4M a year? He would have been a nice addition. etc.

 

Anyway, we will see. A lot of good comments here even though I don't agree with all of them. I wonder if Harrison is still in good shape.  ;-) 

Rumor is we had a deal with Ju Ju when it looked like Watson was going to Falcons. Because Ryan would of been a colt. When Watson changed his mind so did Ju Ju. He could of held out a little longer to see who the colts QB was but he had a chance to go to the chiefs.  The QB situation  taking longer then expected screwed everything up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:


Last season, Ryan didn’t have anything to work with other than Pitts. That’s why I am looking at more than last year. 
 

The prior two seasons (2019 and 2020), Ryan definitely had receiving weapons, better than the Colts at this moment. And he put up middle of the pack numbers.
 

I think Ryan is still a good QB. But it seems there is a narrative that he’s a huge improvement over Wentz. But Wentz also put up middle of the pack numbers (just with more volatility) prior to and while he was here. So setting aside the volatility, the recent numbers don’t suggest a massive improvement. 
 

I get stats aren’t everything, but that’s how I usually base my opinion. At this point though, I am just repeating myself. 
 

I do agree with the lack of moves. Which is why I also questioned the idea that the Colts have drastically improved so far.

I agree with you 

I think colts should just go wideout with the second round. Maybe get Carson strong in the third .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...