Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

10 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Free agency has started and he only has signed one of his own players staying out of the first day feeding frenzy. This is his pattern. First week goes by and waits to see what's left it seems like while most difference makers are all gone. 

Several overpayments today 

12 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Free agency has started and he only has signed one of his own players staying out of the first day feeding frenzy. This is his pattern. First week goes by and waits to see what's left it seems like while most difference makers are all gone. 

I just love fans who comment after one day of an event that lasts more than a month.   This  is like commenting after the first mile of a marathon.   Big deal.   It means nothing.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

One.   Day.   In.        One. 

Keep saying it over and over.   

Im not saying Ballard is going to spend a fortune.   I’m just saying one day in is a silly rush to judgement.  

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

It’s technically not even day 1 of FA. However if the next few days are similar and they pass up on upgrades then it becomes obvious there’s something wrong in FO.

:facepalm:

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just love fans who comment after one day of an event that lasts more than a month.   This  is like commenting after the first mile of a marathon.   Big deal.   It means nothing.   

Let's keep this going 

It's like going to a restaurant and complaining before the waiter has taken your order 

It's like watching a movie but turning it off 3m in cause you disliked the opening credits

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just love fans who comment after one day of an event that lasts more than a month.   Big deal.   It means nothing.   

Actually it usually does mean something because the more talented FA's are usually signed early and the ones that are signed say a week or two later are mostly regarded as fill-ins.

Now I haven't been keeping up on this year's signings so far or even who are the FA's available. But generally speaking the early days in Free Agency is  when the better players are signed, more expensive yes but more desirable for teams.

:thmup:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Let's keep this going 

It's like going to a restaurant and complaining before the waiter has taken your order 

It's like watching a movie but turning it off 3m in cause you disliked the opening credits

Sometimes man...you've seen the contrived plot so much that you already know the ending. Lol  Colts fans have observed  Ballard's rigid way of doing things for 5 years now.  He isn't changing and the Colts aren't getting any better. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually it usually does mean something because the more talented FA's are usually signed early and the ones that are signed say a week or two later are mostly regarded as fill-ins.

Now I haven't been keeping up on this year's signings so far or even who are the FA's available. But generally speaking the early days in Free Agency is  when the better players are signed, more expensive yes but more desirable for teams.

It's outrageous how expensive some are 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol..I get your sarcasm.  Yeah...San Diego is what all in looks like.  The Colts are just blowing smoke up our collective...you know what.  Ballard had a horrible off-season last year in my opinion and should be the focus of Irsay's ire for falling short last year.  Instead, they made Carson the scapegoat and face for last season's debacle.  But Ballard was the one who did not pay enough attention to LT and pass rushers.  He put too much confidence in young inexperienced drafted guys and jettisoned key vets who were contributors and locker room leaders. ( I.e. Houston and Autry).  This team basically has the same issues that it did last off season. 

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Like Christian Kirk?  Should the Colts have topped that offer?  Which free-agent specifically should the Colts have signed today?   What contract should they have topped. ?

39 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Yes, but this year the Colts are ALL IN!

Again, it was very clear Irsay was talking about a mind set and not a strategy.  It’s looking more and more like Irsay said that because he didn’t feel Wentz was all in last year and was getting that point across.  Regardless it was never a statement about strategy.  People who keep talking about it like it was just heard what they wanted to hear when he said it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Like Christian Kirk?  Should the Colts have topped that offer?  Which free-agent specifically should the Colts have signed today?   What contract should they have topped. ?

Cooper was available for a 5th round pick 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

They dont have an answer to that question.

These people just complain. This is what they do. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It's outrageous how expensive some are 

I think though that thinking has to go out the window nowadays. I remember the old days #'s, but literally every free agent seems to get a minimum 10M+ per year.

Every guy some folks clamor for every off season ends up signing on day one for usually 10M to I'd say 18M per year nowadays. 

I honestly stopped caring about cost years ago. 

Rant wasn't directed at you, just the talk about expensive players. The good ones never average below 10M a year anymore. That's average nowadays.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There’s a difference between the first WEEK and the first DAY.   See if you can figure it out?

People who are commenting after the first DAY haven’t figured it out.   Now, it’s possible a week from now, those who are complaining will have more to complain about.   But that’ll happen in 6 more days.   The math really isn’t all that hard.     :thmup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I said above I haven't paid any attention to the signings so far or even who are the FA's.....but we go through this every year...those who are disappointed and complain about Ballard being cheap and not signing the premium FA's and then  those that justify him not paying what other teams are paying. It's  now predictable & comical on a annual basis. Lol 

As far as how much players get, that's what the market is.... The Colts don't do that, they don't pay market prices,Ballard &  Irsay won't overpay for players they need.....  and the Colts will continue to be  IRRELEVANT. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s a difference between the first WEEK and the first DAY.   See if you can figure it out?

People who are commenting after the first DAY haven’t figured it out.   Now, it’s possible a week from now, those who are complaining will have more to complain about.   But that’ll happen in 6 more days.   The math really isn’t all that hard.     :thmup:

Actually history tells us there isn't much if any difference for Ballard & Irsay between the first day or first week..... haha :banana:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Like Christian Kirk?  Should the Colts have topped that offer?  Which free-agent specifically should the Colts have signed today?   What contract should they have topped. 

Jax realizes that they still have their franchise QB on a rookie contract so they spent money to get him key weapons that they wanted him to have. They targeted the receivers they wanted and used their large amount of cap space to SET THE MARKET.  Yes.. the price paid seems ridiculous but it was a price that they could afford to pay that others were not willing to.  Therefore they have their guys Kirk and Zay.  And they still have their high draft picks to add more weapons if they so choose.

Meanwhile...teams like the Colts are shocked by the sticker price and resign themselves to play the waiting game in an attempt to see prices come down to a level where they value a player.  Thus because Jax has already set the market...some players that the Colts thought might be available latter at their price may now be out of the price range they feel comfortable paying.  Thus, we end up signing lesser talent.  This is the residual effect of Jax taking initiative in setting the market at a position that is also a need for their much more conservative divisional rival.

This year it would have been nice to see the Colts actually try to set the market for a pass rusher like Chandler Jones.  They have the money to get a difference maker at the position but if we continue to always play the waiting game sometimes you miss your opportunity to add a legitimate game changing talent to your team. We have the most cap space in the league.  Improve this team in a way that matters. Enough with these incremental or neglible improvements. One significant early signing at a position of need isn't too much to ask in my opinion.  Especially this off-season where jobs may be on the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1