Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

41 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Let the other teams overpay. There’s not one contract signed yesterday that I would’ve felt comfortable with. The Kirk contract is crazy. Reddick maybe but other than that, no way I’m paying those prices. Get the feeling that with no QB in place, we’re just going to kinda of coast this offseason, which I’m cool with. Sometimes you got to wait on your pitch. Don’t do anything crazy that will set us back once again. 

Yeah this club isn’t going to be very good in all likelihood.  

perhaps we shine up one of the fa qbs.  It happens occasionally though not often.

I think there is strong argument we’ve overpaid our own players the last couple seasons.

it seems like stubbornness an arrogance to me.  Could be something different.

the schedule next season is likely to put some dark clouds in the way of the sunshine mafia.

Just now, Nickster said:

Yeah this club isn’t going to be very good in all likelihood.  

perhaps we shine up one of the fa qbs.  It happens occasionally though not often.

I think there is strong argument we’ve overpaid our own players the last couple seasons.

it seems like stubbornness an arrogance to me.  Could be something different.

the schedule next season is likely to put some dark clouds in the way of the sunshine mafia.

“Stubbornness and arrogance.”

From one of the most stubborn and arrogant posters here.   I love when that happens!   :thmup:

7 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You guys have to listen to this.  I laughed but it is exactly how I have felt with how they handled Wentz.  He also says he thinks Irsays comments were directed at Ballard about being all chips in. He called them out big time how they handled Wentz.

we 

I didn't want to listen to this, but this dude really brings up some good points. 

The comment section on youtube has some good points too :(

9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol..I get your sarcasm.  Yeah...San Diego is what all in looks like.  The Colts are just blowing smoke up our collective...you know what.  Ballard had a horrible off-season last year in my opinion and should be the focus of Irsay's ire for falling short last year.  Instead, they made Carson the scapegoat and face for last season's debacle.  But Ballard was the one who did not pay enough attention to LT and pass rushers.  He put too much confidence in young inexperienced drafted guys and jettisoned key vets who were contributors and locker room leaders. ( I.e. Houston and Autry).  This team basically has the same issues that it did last off season. 

“This team has the same problems as last year….”

So says the guy that hasn’t noticed that free agency has only just started and the draft is roughly 6 weeks away.    

Dear God…..        :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

1:45 ish in Hawaii  insomnia????

Your concern for me is touching.   

But you should go back to posting your outrage over what Ballard isn’t doing.   Those are so important.   It’s why I’m awake!   I can’t wait to read your next genius insight!    :thmup:

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Stubbornness and arrogance.”

From one of the most stubborn and arrogant posters here.   I love when that happens!   :thmup:

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“This team has the same problems as last year….”

So says the guy that hasn’t noticed that free agency has only just started and the draft is roughly 6 weeks away.    

Dear God…..        :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your concern for me is touching.   

But you should go back to posting your outrage over what Ballard isn’t doing.   Those are so important.   It’s why I’m awake!   I can’t wait to read your next genius insight!    :thmup:

Didn't you say you were in Hawaii?

Man, I can't imagine arguing w/ people on a goofy forum, instead of relaxing and drinking something out of a pineapple or coconut on the beach. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't have a problem with bargain bin shopping, what I don't want us to do is trash bin rummaging. This is what he did last season - he didn't go for the top FA, he didn't go for the mid-tier FA... he went for the trash that nobody wanted - Rochell, Tevi, Davenport... of all FAs he signed last year, only Fisher played snaps of any significance and you can argue just how well he played... 

I think the most crucial decision of this off-season is whether or not Ballard will continue bandaiding or will he re-focus himself towards securing a long-term future for this team at the QB spot. I am willing to forgive almost everything else he does or doesn't do in FA, as long as he makes the right decision on the path we take for QB. In fact... I prefer him to save money and assets for the timeline of the new QB, rather than go bonkers in FA now on a team that has no chance for legitimate contention.

We still have a very young roster. With players at important positions with only 1-2 years of playing experience. We have a number of Pillars to anchor a very good team but are forced to wait on these inexpensive young players to step up their games. 

It is PLAIN to see that we are NOT going to be contenders again this season.

So the plan remains the same.

Ballard is looking for good players, young, coming off their first contract, that come at a reasonable price.

And he will fill in with some vets in positions of need.

I hope 1 or two really good players pick us. There are a number of really good looking teams, with high quality QB's that make us not desireable.

LIVE WITH IT!   Life is Tough sometimes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Didn't you say you were in Hawaii?

Man, I can't imagine arguing w/ people on a goofy forum, instead of relaxing and drinking something out of a pineapple or coconut on the beach. 

Yo his defense it’s probably like 1 am in Hawaii. 

14 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

How many people on this forum predicted the 2-14 Bengals of the 2020 season to win the afc north AND go to the super bowl in 2021??????? I don't recall one. Maybe all the whiners on here aren't as smart as they think they are!

lol I'll be back when Joe Burrow retires in 2026 lmao

Ballard isn’t the only one who is same old, same old. Every year we have this thread and every year the homers among us remind everyone that “FA just started.” 

Some people might want to wake up to the fact Ballard is white bread. Plain. Bland. Boring. No flair. No willingness to take the risk for greatness. 

Maybe FA signings won’t get us to the top, but neither has the approach he has been taking. 

If Irsay is serious about being all in than perhaps he should make sure his GM is too. I will call it now. Ballard will continue to be Ballard and this team will continue to be this team. Average at best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to read through the full thread shortly but before that.

Sitting out the madness of the early FA rush is 100% correct. No 99%, not 98....100% correct. It's not like Peyton hitting the open market, or Brady. There're no HoFers to go gaga about or tweak your usual approach. 

Secondly, his roster has some big holes this year but for the most part under Ballard, the missing piece has been QB. We can argue till we're blue in the face but this is pretty much true. 

His brief this off season, find a QB. No excuses.

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I used to believe the logic in staying away from top tier free agents. 

But, the last two SB winners show that times have changed. NE turned away from that philosophy & made the playoffs with a rookie CB. 

It’s time for Ballard to start taking risks. 

What's the common denominator with all the teams you mentioned?

10 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Yes, but this year the Colts are ALL IN!

You're all in on your health and your life, does that mean you've gone and bought a Rolls Royce? Are you buying only brand new cars without a care in the world for depreciation? Have you ensured you're only shopping organic and supporting your local farms, and definitely growing your own food?

All in means a lot of things. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Let's keep this going 

It's like going to a restaurant and complaining before the waiter has taken your order 

It's like watching a movie but turning it off 3m in cause you disliked the opening credits

Well, if the waiter tells you that the table next to you just got the last piece of prime rib, I can see why someone might be a bit disappointed.

And if your second and third choices also ran out, you might be skeptical about what you were going to get.

30 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Ballard isn’t the only one who is same old, same old. Every year we have this thread and every year the homers among us remind everyone that “FA just started.” 

Some people might want to wake up to the fact Ballard is white bread. Plain. Bland. Boring. No flair. No willingness to take the risk for greatness. 

Maybe FA signings won’t get us to the top, but neither has the approach he has been taking. 

If Irsay is serious about being all in than perhaps he should make sure his GM is too. I will call it now. Ballard will continue to be Ballard and this team will continue to be this team. Average at best. 

At least they don’t say “FA hasn’t even started yet!” anymore. That was really annoying.

Ultimately, all of this can be traced back to when Irsay hired Ryan Grigson.  If the team would have been built in the trenches, then Luck would still be playing.  In fact, if you replace 2012 Grigson with 2017 Ballard, then I believe we would have been a perennial threat.  Ballard has several solid players on O and D, but had solid QB play in only 2 of his 5 seasons here...and guess what...we made the playoffs both years.

I get that Jim Irsay is upset with the direction of his franchise.  However, he made his bed 10 years ago, now he has to lie in it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Did they pay market prices on Leonard, Buckner, Smith, and Kelly?  The Colts will re-up Nelson in his prime while the Jags just paid big money for a once great Guard who is coming off multiple years of injuries.  Spending money on your own players isn’t as flashy but it does count.  Ballard’s system is that of Polish’s except he didn’t have Peyton fall in his lap. I too would like to see some signings but there’s nothing today that should make me angry. 

Scherff has definitely missed a lot of games the past few years, but he is not a “once-great” G. He has been to 3 straight PBs.

His contract is worth up to $17M AAV. 

Q also missed games last year and there are concerns about his back. And his contract is probably going to be substantially higher.

If a Q deal is a good move, then the Scherff deal is too. 

I was fully supporting the getting your guys through the draft but how many times will Ballard talk about being flexible and changing their outlook and approach, but at the end not really doing it. 

It is early. We will see what he does and who they have talked to or are targeting. I don't see him not doing anything at all. We will see if there are any splash signings. 

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ballard didn't sign the players YOU wanted to bloated contracts yesterday. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh do you need a wambulance to come pick up your feelings? @$%& your feelings! 

I saw people say the Jags are makin' moves - they also WAY OVERPAID! Oddly enough, if Ballard overpaid and a contract were to become an albatross you'd complain about that too!

Cry me a river......this ain't Madden and this ain't Burger King.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

As of right now the team is worse than last year . Lost starting Qb starting right guard and likely more . Ballard will pick up c minus players to fill the gaps . 

As of right now, not even 24 hours into free agency. I hope you're not this pessimistic in all areas of life because you'd probably be an awful miserable person if that were the case!?

I think the thing that is frustrating to people is we haven't got a QB yet so people are panicking. It is safe to say the smart thing to do is to upgrade if you just kick Wentz to the curb otherwise Ballard and Irsay are saying mail it in in 2022. We have 7 pro-bowlers, a good roster, and 70 Mill to spend. Getting a QB like Mariota would just be an insult - Carson is better. Go out and get Winston or Jimmy G for cry and out loud, then sign a player like Armstead to protect them. I am patient and get on people for not being patient but this is getting to the point where it is dicey. I am starting think Ballard is doing this homer simpson sleeping GIF- when a deal is in the works. On paper the Jags look good now no matter what anyone says + they have a franchise QB which is scary.

To the Ballard supporters (and I consider myself an objectivist, I look at each deal/decision as they are made.)

How do you know that Ballard knows what he's doing., that he isn't a middle of the road GM kind of flailing around?

Why is it that when Ballard is bidding on a player, and the player chooses the other team, why then does it become the other GM being dopey because he spent too much money?    Why don't you say that Ballard got outmatched, outwitted by the other GM?

Why is Ballard the litmus test for what other GMs should pay?

Do you know why the Colts have $70m...more than other teams?  Its because we have fewer players on the roster right now.  We don't have a QB more competent than a second year 6th round pick.  We have one competent WR.  Before MAC, we had a second year 4th round TE.  We still don't have a #1 TE.  We have no LT.  

We have no team, that's why we have so much money.

Why is that evidence to you that Ballard knows what he's doing?

What tells you that he is smarter than player agents, or other GMs?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

As of right now the team is worse than last year . Lost starting Qb starting right guard and likely more . Ballard will pick up c minus players to fill the gaps . 

Pinter can step in at RG and Reed could still be brought back 

It's obvious Ballard is waiting to see if Garoppolo value lowers. They could have traded for him a week ago when his value was most like a 2nd. His value the more this goes on goes down and will probably be traded for a 5th by tomorrow. There's also the chance the 49ers keep messing around and keep him.

Plenty of gap solutions like Winston and Mariota right now. I think eventually whoever they bring in I hope they draft rookie soon. 

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I truly think Ballard and his team get overwhelmed by FA. 

Opposed to say Bill Belichick who paid the most last year for a wide receiver (at least one day 1), then paid for the top two TEs....and then drafted another 2 TEs, and had a season where the FA TEs and that heavily paid WR proceeded to do diddly and squat.

Spending money like it's going out of style does not make success. By this point, most of this forum knows this. Good players dont necessarily cost a ton. It's been one day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Pinter can step in at RG and Reed could still be brought back 

I'm not too worried about our guard situation. I'm sure we can pick a guy or two up with the second tier of free agents. I do hope we get the quarterback situation figured out within the next day or two. I just want to know who we're rolling with.

We don’t have to spend a ton. But adding a piece here and there is what he needs to start doing.  But wait the only thing we will do is add a washed up TY and pascal at WR.

There is no evidence Ballard knows what he is doing. Everyone seems to be content with mediocrity.  Ballard sweet talks and everyone thinks he is GOD.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We don’t have to spend a ton. But adding a piece here and there is what he needs to start doing.  But wait the only thing we will do is add a washed up TY and pascal at WR.

There is no evidence Ballard knows what he is doing. Everyone seems to be content with mediocrity.  Ballard sweet talks and everyone thinks he is GOD.

I will say this we need a QB and a LT. I would be happy if traded for Jimmy G and signed Armstead for now, then do good in the draft.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'm not too worried about our guard situation. I'm sure we can pick a guy or two up with the second tier of free agents. I do hope we get the quarterback situation figured out within the next day or two. I just want to know who we're rolling with.

Guard situation is good. They clearly like Fries. We have Pinter and can still sign reed. 

Offensive skill positions is what is bad. We have no first round pick. May be moving up for a QB so may not have a 2nd. No future LT. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Guard situation is good. They clearly like Fries. We have Pinter and can still sign reed. 

Offensive skill positions is what is bad. We have no first round pick. May be moving up for a QB so may not have a 2nd. No future LT. 

I'm betting within the next few days we pick up players. A wide receiver.... A left tackle.... A quarterback.... I'm sure things will look better here in about a week. Keep yer chin up!