Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

honestly, so far there are maybe 3 signings or contracts that i am jealous of for the value:

1) Reddick- $15M APR for a guy with double digit sacks in back to back years that is young is a steal. Good on Philly and happy for Sirianni

2) JC Jackson- I think the APR for him was spot on and worth it for his talent. And his presence in that secondary can be lethal w their pass rush. Huge get for the Chargers

3) E.Engram- Jax overspent on almost everyone but this was a nice value , espeiclaly with rumors he was supposed to get more than a one year prove it deal. So a one year prove it deal for $9M is a solid get.

I will also say some teams that usually kill FA w solid deals (Ravens, Patriots, etc) have not done anything yet.

And the Titans who we are chasing basically just re-signed their own. 

Plenty of time to get some good players. All these guys are still out there:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Cooper was available for a 5th round pick 

And $20 million per year.  That’s debatable. It’s worth a discussion.  $20 million per plus a draft piece vs getting a wideout on a rookie contact in a loaded WR draft. Dallas preferred an oft-injured WR to him. I get the argument either way. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I said above I haven't paid any attention to the signings so far or even who are the FA's.....but we go through this every year...those who are disappointed and complain about Ballard being cheap and not signing the premium FA's and then  those that justify him not paying what other teams are paying. It's  now predictable & comical on a annual basis. Lol 

As far as how much players get, that's what the market is.... The Colts don't do that, they don't pay market prices,Ballard &  Irsay won't overpay for players they need.....  and the Colts will continue to be  IRRELEVANT. 

Did they pay market prices on Leonard, Buckner, Smith, and Kelly?  The Colts will re-up Nelson in his prime while the Jags just paid big money for a once great Guard who is coming off multiple years of injuries.  Spending money on your own players isn’t as flashy but it does count.  Ballard’s system is that of Polish’s except he didn’t have Peyton fall in his lap. I too would like to see some signings but there’s nothing today that should make me angry. 

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually history tells us there isn't much if any difference for Ballard & Irsay between the first day or first week..... haha :banana:

Well….  You wrote.   And I don’t know that I’m disagreeing with you.   But if Irsay is on board, then I’m good and don’t care about silly fan reactions. 

Good luck with that!         :thmup:

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

honestly, so far there are maybe 3 signings or contracts that i am jealous of for the value:

1) Reddick- $15M APR for a guy with double digit sacks in back to back years that is young is a steal. Good on Philly and happy for Sirianni

2) JC Jackson- I think the APR for him was spot on and worth it for his talent. And his presence in that secondary can be lethal w their pass rush. Huge get for the Chargers

3) E.Engram- Jax overspent on almost everyone but this was a nice value , espeiclaly with rumors he was supposed to get more than a one year prove it deal. So a one year prove it deal for $9M is a solid get.

I will also say some teams that usually kill FA w solid deals (Ravens, Patriots, etc) have not done anything yet.

I thought Reddick was a nice fit at that contract.  He went home. Maybe they didn’t value him either. 

I could never see Ballard paying $21 million for a zone corner. Projections were dead on though. I think they’re letting Heyward figure out his value on the market. He took a cheap deal last year and is looking for a raise. 

Engram interested me too.  Giants fans sure don’t think much of him.  I didn’t think Cincy would let CJ leave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  You wrote.   And I don’t know that I’m disagreeing with you.   But if Irsay is on board, then I’m good and don’t care about silly fan reactions. 

Good luck with that!         :thmup:

Well we should mark the calendar to note that today You & I are not Disagreeing! haha

But honestly, I didn't even know today was first day of FA...I thought I heard someone say or post it would be on Friday. And I have no idea who are on the FA list. Shows how much I'm into it these days. Lol

Take care 

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I thought Reddick was a nice fit at that contract.  He went home. Maybe they didn’t value him either. 

I could never see Ballard paying $21 million for a zone corner. Projections were dead on though. I think they’re letting Heyward figure out his value on the market. He took a cheap deal last year and is looking for a raise. 

Engram interested me too.  Giants fans sure don’t think much of him.  I didn’t think Cincy would let CJ leave. 

I loved Jackson due to his versality. Lethal in man or zone.

This is part of why I loved the idea of signing Rasul Douglas due to his versatility as well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

And $20 million per year.  That’s debatable. It’s worth a discussion.  $20 million per plus a draft piece vs getting a wideout on a rookie contact in a loaded WR draft. Dallas preferred an oft-injured WR to him. I get the argument either way. 

How many impact players are usually drafted in the 5th round every year? 2, 3 players? I’ll take the receiver from a loaded offense that’ll put up 80+ catches and 1200 yards here

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well we should mark the calendar to note that today You & I are not Disagreeing! haha

But honestly, I didn't even know today was first day of FA...I thought I heard someone say or post it would be on Friday. And I have no idea who are on the FA list. Shows how much I'm into it these days. Lol

Take care 

Technically,  today is the first of two days of legal cheating.  You can talk and negotiate, but not sign actual contracts.   Just announce deals.  

The actual free agent signings don’t happen until Wednesday.   That’s the actual official start of free agency.   These first two days are sort of unofficial.   

But in our little community, the complaining always starts on Monday of FA week.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Technically,  today is the first of two days of legal cheating.  You can talk and negotiate, but not sign actual contracts.   Just announce deals.  

The actual free agent signings don’t happen until Wednesday.   That’s the actual official start of free agency.   These first two days are sort of unofficial.   

But in our little community, the complaining always starts on Monday of FA week.   

Day 1

sad black and white GIF

Day 2

dark die GIF by diejuliewierd

Day 3 (Actual FA)

Night Of The Living Dead Horror GIF by filmeditor

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

In good news, the Texans and Jags continue to shoot themselves in the foot while Tennessee has done very little as well. It wouldn’t shock me if we won this division next year by the sheer ineptitude of all four teams in it.

Getting Lawrence as many weapons as possible isn’t shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

Gotta say, so far I’m impressed with the Bengals and Chargers. Cincy is quietly fixing their OL and paying the right prices for the right guys, and San Diego is getting quality players. If I was a betting man, I would bet my money on a Bengals-Chargers AFCC game in January at this point.

34 minutes ago, runthepost said:

How many impact players are usually drafted in the 5th round every year? 2, 3 players? I’ll take the receiver from a loaded offense that’ll put up 80+ catches and 1200 yards here

I can see that. I thought he would have paired well with Pittman. I was good either way on Cooper.  One reason I liked the idea of Cooper is I see the Colts possibly trading up now for someone like Corral and will have less picks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Getting Lawrence as many weapons as possible isn’t shooting themselves in the foot.

They just gave over 110 million in contracts to two decent WR. Weapons, maybe, but also handicaps when it comes to cap space. The Jags are the pinnacle of stupidity in this league

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Some of my favorite remaining targets:

OT - Trent Brown Pats

WR - DJ Chark; 2nd choice Juju

TE - OJ Howard - 1 or 2 year prove it deal;  Gerald Everett

DE - Chandler Jones or Nwosu... possibly Zadarrius Smith (health permitting)

• Like 1

@TaylorTheStudMuffinFor reference:

1F4A5580-B3EC-44E6-8AA5-B933C21B14D6.jpeg

1 minute ago, bertjones7 said:

Some of my favorite remaining targets:

OT - Trent Brown Pats

WR - DJ Chark; 2nd choice Juju

TE - OJ Howard - 1 or 2 year prove it deal;  Gerald Everett

DE - Chandler Jones or Nwosu... possibly Zadarrius Smith (health permitting)

I would sign Chark as long as it’s reasonable and swing for the fences on Chandler Jones

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You guys have to listen to this.  I laughed but it is exactly how I have felt with how they handled Wentz.  He also says he thinks Irsays comments were directed at Ballard about being all chips in. He called them out big time how they handled Wentz.

we 

Good video. Saw it earlier today.  Strong language so listeners be advised.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You guys have to listen to this.  I laughed but it is exactly how I have felt with how they handled Wentz.  He also says he thinks Irsays comments were directed at Ballard about being all chips in. He called them out big time how they handled Wentz.

we 

While I’m still not ready to totally rail on Ballard and Reich, I do have major concerns. I get it takes a while to build a team, but it’s frustrating at this point. I mean, if teams like the Bengals and Patriots can go from bad to good in just a year, why are we taking so long? (And yes I know they have a franchise QB and we don’t)

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol..I get your sarcasm.  Yeah...San Diego is what all in looks like.  The Colts are just blowing smoke up our collective...you know what.  Ballard had a horrible off-season last year in my opinion and should be the focus of Irsay's ire for falling short last year.  Instead, they made Carson the scapegoat and face for last season's debacle.  But Ballard was the one who did not pay enough attention to LT and pass rushers.  He put too much confidence in young inexperienced drafted guys and jettisoned key vets who were contributors and locker room leaders. ( I.e. Houston and Autry).  This team basically has the same issues that it did last off season. 

100% correct. Spot on. There’s a lot of people in this fan base who need to admit Ballard is mediocre and overly-conservative. Scared money don’t make no money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Free agency has started and he only has signed one of his own players staying out of the first day feeding frenzy. This is his pattern. First week goes by and waits to see what's left it seems like while most difference makers are all gone. 

I’m fine so far pass rusher are left , best Lt , couple wr, couple vet QBs

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

If needed they could gain another $20M in cap space just by advancing a bonus for Mahomes I believe. Frank Clark just gave them $11M in cap space in the last hour

If Allen goes from the Jags to the Bears and finally the Lions that’ll suck lol.

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

While I’m still not ready to totally rail on Ballard and Reich, I do have major concerns. I get it takes a while to build a team, but it’s frustrating at this point. I mean, if teams like the Bengals and Patriots can go from bad to good in just a year, why are we taking so long? (And yes I know they have a franchise QB and we don’t)

The Pats missed nearly 8-10 good players who sat out in 2020 due to Covid who came back and played in 21.   That accounts for part of the jump.  

They also spent unusually heavy in free agency in 21.   That accounts for another jump.  

And they hit big with their rookie quarterback and got far more performance than anyone expected for Mac Jones.    Those three things account for the Pats big improvement in one season.  But bad to good in one season is a bit of an allusion.   They were good and had a one year fall off. 

The Bengals have sucked for years and got good due to Burrow and Chase.   Also they got hot at the end and it happed as the rest of the  AFC North, Pitts, Balt, and Cleve, who were all favored ahead of Cincy to start the year, all had very disappointing seasons at the same time.   Good luck played a large part in the Bengals success.  

For what it may be worth, I’ve already seen a story predicting that Cincy could easily fall back among the pack.   They’re viewed by some as a one hit wonder until they prove themselves again

I don't have a problem with bargain bin shopping, what I don't want us to do is trash bin rummaging. This is what he did last season - he didn't go for the top FA, he didn't go for the mid-tier FA... he went for the trash that nobody wanted - Rochell, Tevi, Davenport... of all FAs he signed last year, only Fisher played snaps of any significance and you can argue just how well he played... 

I think the most crucial decision of this off-season is whether or not Ballard will continue bandaiding or will he re-focus himself towards securing a long-term future for this team at the QB spot. I am willing to forgive almost everything else he does or doesn't do in FA, as long as he makes the right decision on the path we take for QB. In fact... I prefer him to save money and assets for the timeline of the new QB, rather than go bonkers in FA now on a team that has no chance for legitimate contention.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

My only concern with the first day is that there was a tweet saying that the G market is now thin so the market for Chris Reed is heating up.  SInce we lost Glow, I hope we do not lose Reed.

I hope we get Reed back, too.. but I could see Ballard wanting to insert Pinter into the RG spot.

6 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think Irsay tied Ballard’s hands this year by forcing Wentz out. Hard to get FA with no QB.

The conundrum to me is: 1) What QB wants to sign with a team who has a bottom 10 in the league WR/TE group which just saw its top TE retire? AND (2) what wr/te wants to sign with a team who has Sam Ehlinger as their current #1 qb?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One.   Day.   In.        One. 

Keep saying it over and over.   

Im not saying Ballard is going to spend a fortune.   I’m just saying one day in is a silly rush to judgement.  

:facepalm:

5 years in..same pattern...same results...

5 years in...same pattern...same results...

This QB situation was a product of Irsays quirkiness and knee jerk reaction. I used to defend him and told friends he is one of the best owners in sports....but I think this year he has become unhinged. Mid season he was tweeting crazy stuff like winning 2 or 3 Super Bowls..2 months later he demands Wentz be traded or cut in a year that has the worst QB draft in recent years coming up. Ballard and Reich had no choice but to go along or I think Irsay would have fired one of them (Frank)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and as he ages,I think we are watching Jim Irsay morphing into Robert Irsay.

• Like 2

Let the other teams overpay. There’s not one contract signed yesterday that I would’ve felt comfortable with. The Kirk contract is crazy. Reddick maybe but other than that, no way I’m paying those prices. Get the feeling that with no QB in place, we’re just going to kinda of coast this offseason, which I’m cool with. Sometimes you got to wait on your pitch. Don’t do anything crazy that will set us back once again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Pretty early to be labeling Jones a 'franchise' QB....