Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

1 minute ago, stitches said:

The problem of this team is not just the QB. We are devoid of talent at some of the most important positions in football - QB, WR, DE, LT, CB, TE... 

And it will be 3 years after Luck retired in August. So yeah. That's plenty of time to address QB. 

So is that why most all NFL teams have good franchised QBs because they are so easy to find in a year or two?

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah basically that would be tanking but we will waste a year of Taylor's career.

I agree. We should do everything we can to go 9-8 again, that will make us all feel better that he wasn't wasted. chuckle
I kid because no matter who we are likely to get at QB, 9-8 seems like a reach to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Absolute Truth!  Irsay stood there at the podium introducing Grigson saying he would be mentoring him.

What we then witnessed was Irsay doing a lot of GM ing "mentoring". This back when he had serious personal issues that had his family very concerned.  

I do believe Irsay is well grounded now, and understands that we are in a defensive position in our team build, because of the QB market. 

He knows this sucks, we know this sucks. What to do?

This is such a great point that never gets brought up when people talk about Grigson. Ultimately, his failures are his own, however, Irsay's approach to Grigson was a far cry from his approach to Ballard. He was much more hands-on with Grigson and far less patient.

Once Manning left, Irsay's stated goal was a more "balanced team" that didn't rely on "Star Wars numbers." He also clearly wanted to win right away. And while there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of a franchise QB being on a rookie deal, you had Irsay was tweeting about briefcases full of money for FAs. You even had him going flying around to talk to FAs. Very unorthodox for an owner.

How much influence he had during that time is not really known. But there was clearly some. 

And then it culminated with the the serous off-field issues you alluded to.

Irsay seems much more grounded now. 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree. We should do everything we can to go 9-8 again, that will make us all feel better that he wasn't wasted. chuckle
I kid because no matter who we are likely to get at QB, 9-8 seems like a reach to me.

I think many in here underestimate Jimmy G. With him I believe we can 11 games, Winston is also good. We will see what happens.

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

So is that why most all NFL teams have good franchised QBs because they are so easy to find in a year or two?

Why are the Titans then able to win with Tannehill and Henry running the show? I think we were on par with Wentz and JT, IMO. Is it just them or the talent they assembled around them with free agency acquisitions like Dupree, former Colt Autry, drafting Landry and A J Brown, and other OL free agency and secondary additions?

Tannehill is not what I call a very good franchise QB but they make it work due to the pieces built around him to the fact they have won the division 2 years in a row. The stubbornness to not acknowledge free agency acquisitions or parting with draft picks for talent at key positions is why we are a middle of the road team, not just the QB part unless the QB is absolutely low ceiling like Brissett.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be honest, I would rather part with draft picks to get experienced FAs, a little bit like the Rams (not all the way) if you find the contract affordable since it is hard to outbid most teams in free agency. That is the best way I can fill my roster holes with proven talent at positions of need. Just need to find the right balance there. Certain positions like pass rush, corners and safeties do take time to flourish unlike the skill positions that it is worth to pony up draft picks to get the proven talent.

I agree, the Colts could trade to fill some of their many holes. Teams were doing it all week leading up to FA (Amari Cooper to Browns for 5th and 6th rounders). But, it is a catch 22 for Ballard because he only uses the draft to build this team. Therefore, he cannot give up any of his precious draft picks that he so highly covets.  See the predicament? Won't sign free agents, won't trade draft picks to fill needs. This means you have to hit home runs in the draft constantly or wait 3-5 years for players to develop. When those players do not develop into producers, the team simply does not get better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Players have got to want to come here!!

Perhaps...just a guess....that Irsay dumped Wentz for obscure personal reasons...made a big deal out of something only he cares about....now players are issed at Irsay and have second thoughts about the quality of the organization. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think many in here underestimate Jimmy G. With him I believe we can 11 games, Winston is also good. We will see what happens.

I'm one that thinks he could win 11 games. He has a lot of Rivers in him.
   IF, there is competition for his service and we pay say a 3rd this year and a 2nd next, don't you think at such a price you are going with him for more than one year? He is your guy!   It's a conundrum. lol 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree, the Colts could trade to fill some of their many holes. Teams were doing it all week leading up to FA (Amari Cooper to Browns for 5th and 6th rounders). But, it is a catch 22 for Ballard because he only uses the draft to build this team. Therefore, he cannot give up any of his precious draft picks that he so highly covets.  See the predicament? Won't sign free agents, won't trade draft picks to fill needs. This means you have to hit home runs in the draft constantly or wait 3-5 years for players to develop. When those players do not develop into producers, the team simply does not get better.

At some point as a GM you’ve got to have some intestinal fortitude and get out of your comfort zone and make something happen. “Force something!”

I posted this article in another thread. I think the writer was spot on and particularly at the end. Focus on the end of the story.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/3/11/22971935/colts-quarterback-position-chris-ballard-frank-reich-carson-wentz

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

So your saying if KC lost Mahomes or Buffalo lost Allen they would bounce back by year 2 no problem?

Not by year 2 maybe. However, they were in a very similar situation with Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor. KC was a perennial playoff team who couldn't get over the hump and BUF was a fringe playoff team. They both got aggressive in the draft. And while those didn't pan out for a couple years, there was a general direction after a year or two.

The difference is, the Colts are heading into their 3rd offseason, and there is no real direction (yet). I hope that changes soon, but if we trade for Jimmy G...I fear that we will still be in a similar situation a year or two from now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

IF, there is competition for his service and we pay say a 3rd this year and a 2nd next, don't you think at such a price you are going with him for more than one year? He is your guy!   It's a conundrum. lol 

If we are parting with draft picks, you have to know he is your QB for more than just 1 year. If that is the case, we can part with the Redskins 3rd rounder and call it a deal. We gave up a 1st and 3rd for Wentz that we had for just 1 year (got him thinking we would have him for 2 years at least) and unlike Wentz, Jimmy G does not come with questions in the locker room or coachability issues whatsoever, so it would be worth it if it is the direction we choose to go.

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's like deja vu all over again.  Looking at the Free Agent Tracker and not seeing many horseshoe in the 'New Team' column.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-tracker-updates-on-where-the-top-100-free-agents-are-signing/

That isn't a huge concern for me.  While I don't think Ballard is the plan following genius many make him out to be....my concern is that we have not yet signed our own good players back to the team, Pryor and Reed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think if we trade for him he would be our guy for at least 3 years if he plays well. JMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That isn't a huge concern for me.  While I don't think Ballard is the plan following genius many make him out to be....my concern is that we have not yet signed our own good players back to the team, Pryor and Reed.

You mean he’s not a top 10 GM? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not by year 2 maybe. However, they were in a very similar situation with Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor. KC was a perennial playoff team who couldn't get over the hump and BUF was a fringe playoff team. They both got aggressive in the draft. And while those didn't pan out for a couple years, there was a general direction after a year or two.

The difference is, the Colts are heading into their 3rd offseason, and there is no real direction (yet). I hope that changes soon, but if we trade for Jimmy G...I fear that we will still be in a similar situation a year or two from now. 

Agree with you here but we swung and missed with Wentz based on Reich, the QB whisper, campaigning hard for him. I for one thought we had our QB and am a little concerned we may have thrown in the towel too early.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Why are the Titans then able to win with Tannehill and Henry running the show? I think we were on par with Wentz and JT, IMO. Is it just them or the talent they assembled around them with free agency acquisitions like Dupree, former Colt Autry, drafting Landry and A J Brown, and other OL free agency and secondary additions?

Tannehill is not what I call a very good franchise QB but they make it work due to the pieces built around him to the fact they have won the division 2 years in a row. The stubbornness to not acknowledge free agency acquisitions or parting with draft picks for talent at key positions is why we are a middle of the road team, not just the QB part unless the QB is absolutely low ceiling like Brissett.

Great questions! This is a good, objective, comparison to a divisional opponent. There is a reason we are the only team in the division to not win a divisional championship since 2015. Management, coaching, and Luck leaving unexpectedly all play a role for better or worse. But we can only make excuses for so long. We need to identify what is not working and make changes (be it strategy, management, or player personnel) so we are at least on par with our divisional opponents.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

They are not easy to find. But they are not impossible to find either. But again... this is not just about the QB. We are lacking talent at the most important positions in football. Luck's retirement has nothing to do with that. 

• Like 1

The weirdest part about the whole Wentz situation is he had the ninth highest total qbr in the league last year but was just dreadful in those last 3 games. And those last 2 losses to 2 VASTLY inferior teams were inexcusable and he was the absolute worst player on the field for those 2 games. Mind numbing!

Edited by Two_pound
misspelled qbr

19 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am still convinced Keefer was used by Irsay to spread lies about Wentz in his story.  Irsay having a personal vendetta has screwed this team. I feel bad for Reich. 

Yes and Jeffrey Lurie paid Philly media to spread lies about Wentz, too...  :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

No, but you referenced two of the teams that were able to find them once, so I am not sure if it's fair to assume they couldn't do it again.

I don't think anybody has said it is easy to address QB, but Ballard is held to a very high standard with this fanbase and around the NFL. We shouldn't say "he's a top 5/10 GM" and then hold him to the standard of the lower 20-25 other teams when it comes to addressing QB.

17 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s hard for me because the stuff in keefers article is the same stuff that came out from Phili. Something though just seems weird to me. Especially when I see players going out of their way on his IG sticking up for him.

My thinking is that the stuff in Philly had some substance, probably overblown and a matter of individual perceptions, but had some roots.  But when Keefer basically says the exact same script that was said in Philly, and never supports it with actual incidents of Wentz' misbehavior (so to speak), it sounds like a cover up/gloss over of some real reason that Irsay wanted him gone.

I understand nobody in Indy having specific incidents in Philly of Wentz not taking coaching, or selfishness, or whatever subjective perceptions a person might have...we weren't there.  But our reporters are supposed to be here in Indy.  They are supposed to ask for specific things Wentz did, on what date, during what game, during what practice, etc., 

To just spout off the same derogatory things that was done from afar last year seems like a half assed way of reporting, and sounds like he may simply have not wanted to embarrass Irsay over the half assed reason Irsay wanted Wentz gone.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

like I said I get torn on this because it is the same stuff from Phili. But it just doesn’t sit well with me. Everything is so vague. What’s the off field stuff? Not working hard? I know there was stuff that came out of Phili about him arguing with coaches during film sessions.  What happened from the time Reich left Phili and he came here? If that had gone on with Reich in Phili he never would of asked to get him. It’s just all weird.

Tell Me What GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

It can't be Grigson's fault 6 years after he was fired.  

Irsay hired Grigson.

Grigson ultimately broke Luck because he didn't properly fix the OL.

We've been in QB hell ever since.

If Irsay had hired a GM in 2012 with the same philosophy as Ballard, then Luck would still be playing, we'd be a perennial playoff team, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your concern for me is touching.   

But you should go back to posting your outrage over what Ballard isn’t doing.   Those are so important.   It’s why I’m awake!   I can’t wait to read your next genius insight!    :thmup:

Are you out surfing the waves?

8 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Irsay hired Grigson.

If Irsay had hired a GM in 2012 with the same philosophy as Ballard, then Luck would still be playing, we'd be a perennial playoff team, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Irsay hired Grigson.

True, but Polian allowed his son to slowly make the front office decisions, leading to his own firing. So, overall, it's Polian's fault because his firing led to Grigson's hiring.

So long story short, the current issues we are facing are not Ballard's fault whatsoever. Nuh uh, not at all.

Sarcasm, if you didn't catch it.

• Like 1

Normally, I'm on the train of "Ballard's free agency strategy is nonsense", but there's no point spending big money on playmakers or oline if you don't have a QB, or if you simply have a bridge QB. Better to try to hit on someone in the draft. 

We badly need secondary help, and  pass rush, though. That has to come.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

True, but Polian allowed his son to slowly make the front office decisions, leading to his own firing. So, overall, it's Polian's fault because his firing led to Grigson's hiring.

So long story short, the current issues we are facing are not Ballard's fault whatsoever. Nuh uh, not at all.

Sarcasm, if you didn't catch it.

There is “one” player left from the previous regime.