Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They gave him the franchise tag before even played a snap that year...$28M.  I understand that it was a unique situation, but it was clearly a very questionable business decision at the time. Could have just added some incentives to JB's deal or given him a slight bump, but $28M? 

After that, they tried really hard to sell us on JB being the guy. It was a very cringe-worthy set of events. 

The franchise tag would have been there AFTER the season when he had showed he needed another season. And then, when they inevitably learned that they shouldn't be tagging Jacoby Brissett, they wouldn't have done it and wouldn't have been saddled with his $21M cap hit in 2020.

Even though it was just cap space, Ballard has gotten a major pass for that gaffe, while other GMs get heavily criticized for how they use cap space. Seems like a different standard.

Interestingly, for a GM who doesn't like to overpay players, in that case he did. But Ballard's approach to QB has run fairly contradictory to his overall team approach. It's equally interesting and frustrating. 

I don’t recall JB being tagged, but he was still on his rookie deal, so there was no need to extend him to that ridiculous contract. JB had zero leverage. They should have simply let JB prove himself and assess after the season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jimmy was up 17-7 in the NFC Title Game, was it his fault the D couldn't hold it or get an easy INT to seal the game. Of course Jimmy played bad against the Titans so did Wentz along with the Raiders and the Jags. Brady got shut out by the Saints, it happens but Wentz has laid so many eggs that I have lost count.

That can go both ways. It was his fault he didn’t score after their first possession in the 2nd half. Jimmy G Les offense was blanked in the 1st and 4th quarter.  That defense held the SB champions to 20pts.  

Jimmy G has a passer rating of 74.1 with 962 yards, 4 touchdowns and 6 interceptions in 7 games in the playoffs in his career.  That’s 137yds a game.  Blaming the defense is a bit of a stretch. 

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I understand your POV! There was data involved in those articles that is why I suggested you google them! LOL

I am 'trusting' that Ballard will fix the issue and I guess I have more patience than most on here so that is my issue - but, Rome wasn't built in a day and Ballard has a lot of 'meh' type options out there that (in my opinion) don't provide us with what we truly want - a franchise QB. He has to shoot the moon on a scouting play to really solve the issue THIS year and that is with Jordan Love or a draft pick. None of the other options, including Garoppolo solve anything other than we have a QB for 2022 not named Sam Ehlinger.

I still stand by my comments on Luck derailing this franchise and putting us in this purgatory type position where IN GENERAL the roster is solid enough to with 50% or more of it's games in spite of 4 QB's in 4 years......

You're correct about losing Luck and the devastating effect it has on a roster

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I understand your POV! There was data involved in those articles that is why I suggested you google them! LOL

I am 'trusting' that Ballard will fix the issue and I guess I have more patience than most on here so that is my issue - but, Rome wasn't built in a day and Ballard has a lot of 'meh' type options out there that (in my opinion) don't provide us with what we truly want - a franchise QB. He has to shoot the moon on a scouting play to really solve the issue THIS year and that is with Jordan Love or a draft pick. None of the other options, including Garoppolo solve anything other than we have a QB for 2022 not named Sam Ehlinger.

I still stand by my comments on Luck derailing this franchise and putting us in this purgatory type position where IN GENERAL the roster is solid enough to with 50% or more of it's games in spite of 4 QB's in 4 years......

And I'm not someone who bashes Ballard, or think's he's bad.

But look at the offensive roster right now.  It couldn't field a team.  No LT.  One WR. No QB.  This is an entire rebuild of one half of the field.  

Everybody knew TY and AC were getting old...and Doyle.

By the end of FA and the draft, the holes will be filled.  I'm sure of it.  But rebuilding the entire O was part of Ballard's plan?  Its a sign that he's not the master of his surroundings that some believe him to be.  That's my POV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They gave him the franchise tag before even played a snap that year...$28M.  I understand that it was a unique situation, but it was clearly a very questionable business decision at the time. Could have just added some incentives to JB's deal or given him a slight bump, but $28M? 

After that, they tried really hard to sell us on JB being the guy. It was a very cringe-worthy set of events. 

The franchise tag would have been there AFTER the season when he had showed he needed another season. And then, when they inevitably learned that they shouldn't be tagging Jacoby Brissett, they wouldn't have done it and wouldn't have been saddled with his $21M cap hit in 2020.

Even though it was just cap space, Ballard has gotten a major pass for that gaffe, while other GMs get heavily criticized for how they use cap space. Seems like a different standard.

Interestingly, for a GM who doesn't like to overpay players, in that case he did. But Ballard's approach to QB has run fairly contradictory to his overall team approach. It's equally interesting and frustrating. 

Sorry, but i more believe that once again, Reich had to stand up big for JB, and would more believe that when we were so far under the multi-year spending requirements, that Irsay got enthusiastic to get behind Jacoby, and Wanted to write the checks. It was expected to inspire the lockerroom.

As it made no real sense, i can't imagine CB thought it up. jmo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wexhave been in qb hell because Ballard has always thought his talent is better than it actually is. He thinks we r just a qb away. If I am a free agen5, I ain't coming to Indy. The all chips in statement by Irsay looks quite premature and looks silly right now.

Well, I also think we are just a QB away from being a perennial playoff team.  This would make Indy attractive to FAs.  If Luck were still here, do you think we'd have any problems getting FAs?  My one knock on Ballard is that he isn't willing to spend money to bring in outside FAs.   I agree with you 100% about Irsay...why did he even make that statement if he can't back it up.

We have young talent on both sides of the ball, but my concern is that their prime years will be wasted because of the QB situation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Jimmy g can’t even compare to rivers . Jimmy g overthrows everything from the super bowl to the titans game . It was like watching paint dry as soon as the running gane is stop he shrinks .   I rather Sam play and draft a Qb next year . 

refuse

Ravens signed Safety Marcus Williams from the Saints.  He was one of the top 2 free agents I wanted us to sign. I’m starting to get a little worried. Although, Mathieu would make for a great 2nd option.  If we miss out on Armstead though I’m gonna be livid. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No its not. 

But when you expect him to either win without a franchise QB or just crap one it becomes rather ridiculous.

C'mon, this isn't about the QB.  Or about not signing big named FA early on.

Should we go into the FA period with no starting LT, no backup LT.  Both backup Gs gone.  The #1 TE gone.  No #1 WR...and Pascal, whatever he was, not on the roster.  Pittman and two 6th round picks that got a combined 8 targets last year...who couldn't beat out Pascal, the guy who's gone.   And yes, no starting QB and not much of a backup QB.

I'm probably forgetting a player or two.

If you did not know that his name was Chris Ballard, would you think that this guy even knew what he was doing?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I used to believe the logic in staying away from top tier free agents. 

But, the last two SB winners show that times have changed. NE turned away from that philosophy & made the playoffs with a rookie CB. 

It’s time for Ballard to start taking risks. 

Taking risks for guys like Von Miller, Odell Beckham Jr, and Jalen Ramsey, all top 5 guys at their spot at one point, makes total sense. NONE of the guys signed so far are those guys. JC Jackson might have been one we slip away but he's had 1 good year and we know being the #1 corner in NE does miraculous things to you in that system. Signing high price free agents is way different than signing top 5 players who wanted out of a poor situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And I'm not some who bash Ballard, or think he's bad.

But look at the offensive roster right now.  It couldn't field a team.  No LT.  One WR. No QB.  This is an entire rebuild of one half of the field.  

By the end of FA and the draft, the holes will be filled.  I'm sure of it.  But rebuilding the entire O was part of Ballard's plan?  Its a sign that he's not the master of his surroundings that some believe him to be.  That's my POV.

And CB sees a line that is an average LT away from having one of the best ground games in the NFL.

He believes in Paris and thinks one of his big young receivers can break out this season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Polian had already built up a lot of credibility with his previous success.

Its funny how the forum can criticize Polian's mistakes objectively, but Ballard deserves some kind of special status, apparently to some.  Everything good that happens is the result of his plan.  Everything bad that happens is the result of circumstances or Frank.  Its weird.

Oh for sure. Polian had a great track record.

This will no doubt be controversial, but if we are objective, let's compare that 5-year period of Colts football to the 5-year period that followed:

• Had less playoff wins with a better HOF QB
  • Didn't win a SB with HOF QB
  • Didn't fully maximize the roster with HOF QB
  • HOF QB got hurt, eventually had neck surgery and missed a season
  • Successor did not get to use HOF QB
  • Saddled the roster with overpaid, aging vets which put the team in cap space trouble
  • Failed to bring in young talent through the draft
  • Oversaw a roster that regressed and eventually bottomed out to a level I had not seen before (was bit too young to remember '97)

Lots of similarities to the guy that followed him (except for the salary cap trouble). Yet very few blame Polian for "ruining" the Manning era of Colts football. And I don't know if I have seen anybody blame him for Manning getting hurt and missing a season.

Meanwhile, Grigson gets blamed and criticized for everything...while also getting none of the credit.

And I do agree regarding Ballard. There seems to be double standard when it comes to him. Not only compared to his predecessor, but also to other GMs in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And I'm not someone who bashes Ballard, or think's he's bad.

To be fair Parris Campbell was supposed to be the new TY.........he went from never injured (to my recollection) to injured every year in the NFL.....and he has the talent but not the availability. While you should never count on any draft picks I do think Patmon and Strachan have the ability to play well in this league - but will they? Will Campbell every get healthy? If anything I think Ballard's pride may be his weakness in sticking with players too long.

Kind of blew that theory up with the one and done with Wentz - BUT - I still think that decision was ALL Frank's (including Rivers) and the GM trusted in his coach. It backfired so now I think that Ballard is going to make his own decision regarding our next QB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

C'mon, this isn't about the QB.

Should we go into the FA period with no starting LT, no backup LT.  Both backup Gs gone.  The #1 TE gone.  No #1 WR...and Pascal, whatever he was, not on the roster.  Pittman and two 6th round picks that got a combined 8 targets last year...who couldn't beat out Pascal, the guy who's gone.   And yes, no starting QB and not much of a backup QB.

If you did not know that his name was Chris Ballard, would you think that this guy even knew what he was doing?

Yes Doug teams usually go into the FA period with holes. 

Btw we are only one day in.

And yes I think Chris Ballard knows what he is doing.

Winning in the NFL is all about the QB. So if you want the Colts to win games, you essentially want them to have good QB play. That is the #1 most essential thing to have and the hardest thing to find. 

14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t recall JB being tagged, but he was still on his rookie deal, so there was no need to extend him to that ridiculous contract. JB had zero leverage. They should have simply let JB prove himself and assess after the season. 

Let me clarify...I meant that he was essentially given the franchise tag, not officially. The projected tag amount for the following offseason was $28.3M, which was very close to what they gave him. I wouldn't be surprised if they even positioned that extension as such. Or it could been JB's agent who came up with the offer. 

The thought process was to give JB a raise now that he was the starter, but also gain cost control over him for next season. But the issue was that it pushed a good amount of gtd money into 2020 without even seeing him play that year. I just think there were better ways to handle it without having to end up with JB and Rivers on the books for $46M the following year. Not only that, JB being here certainly didn't help provide a backup QB spot for a rookie QB to learn behind Rivers.

And to your point, what would have been so wrong with JB having to play it out and earn a big contract? Isn't that part of their team philosophy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

C'mon, this isn't about the QB.

What are your thoughts on Les Snead?

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry, but i more believe that once again, Reich had to stand up big for JB, and would more believe that when we were so far under the multi-year spending requirements, that Irsay got enthusiastic to get behind Jacoby, and Wanted to write the checks. It was expected to inspire the lockerroom.

As it made no real sense, i can't imagine CB thought it up. jmo

I don't disagree. Reich has clearly had a ton of influence over the QB position. So it's not a stretch at all to think Reich was the driving force behind that. 

And after they gave JB that money, Reich called JB "the guy" and "the answer." I think he not only believed in JB, but also believed that the team would rally around him.

Goes to show how a lot of that stuff is just noise when the QB can't get it done on the field. 

8 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes Doug teams usually go into the FA period with holes. 

Btw we are only one day in.

And yes I think Chris Ballard knows what he is doing.

Winning in the NFL is all about the QB. So if you want the Colts to win games, you essentially want them to have good QB play. That is the #1 most essential thing to have and the hardest thing to find. 

Other teams have holes, yes.  An incomplete roster, no.  We have a defense under contract that could play a game.  We need a couple of holes to fill to make it better.  And even so, it is not an elite defense.

We went into FA not being able to field an offense.  I see a GM who now has to work from behind, not a master that's in front of the curve.

• Like 3

This forum is doing the same old same old.

GM tells you how he operates.

The way the GM operates isn’t how fans want him to operate so they ignore what he said and set unrealistic expectations anyway.

Free agency starts and GM operates just as he told people he would.

Fans get mad and panic because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

Look i am not saying what Ballard is doing is right.  I am just saying it’s exactly who he has been since the day he was hired and he told people that he didn’t believe in being a big splash free agency spender.  So I get people who are questioning if that’s the right approach but what I don’t get are the people who are mad that he’s being this way because they didn’t think he would be.  Learn who your GM is and how he operates rather than thinking what you want to happen and you’ll be much less surprised with how things play out.  That doesn’t mean you have agree with it just accept that’s what going to happen as long as that person is in charge.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You didn't ask me, but I will share my thoughts. Given that he was hired AFTER Jeff Fisher, I think it's possible that the GM/HC dynamic in STL/LA was different than most teams. Much like Reid in PHI, it's possible that Fisher had more roster control, given his lengthy track record in the NFL.

But Snead definitely had misfires during that time, no doubt about that, including drafting Jared Goff. And I remember reading that Fisher didn't even want Goff...or at least didn't want to trade up to get him.

However, once Snead was untethered to Fisher, he was able to hire McVay and the rest is sort of history. And when Fisher left, that is about the same time that Snead started becoming very aggressive.

I think Snead and Licht are both examples of how GMs getting extended trials cam ultimately work out for a team. And I am sure Irsay is aware of that. So I don't think Ballard is close to being on the hot seat. If anything, Irsay will give Ballard another chance to hire a HC (like Snead did with McVay and Licht with BA).

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Other teams have holes, yes.  An incomplete roster, no.  We have a defense under contract that could play a game.  We need a couple of holes to fill to make it better.  And even so, it is not an elite defense.

We went into FA not being able to field an offense.  I see a GM who now has to work from behind, not a master that's in front of the curve.

Who said be was a "master"?

Hes a good GM who has been hit with a lot of adversity, which includes the single hardest thing for a GM to do which is land a franchise QB without a top pick.

This is my problem with you people. You make these illogical statements and pretend youre being logical. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

The way the GM operates isn’t how fans want him to operate so they ignore what he said and set unrealistic expectations anyway.

Look i am not saying what Ballard is doing is right.  I am just saying it’s exactly who he has been since the day he was hired and he told people that he didn’t believe in being a big splash free agency spender.  So I get people who are questioning if that’s the right approach but what I don’t get are the people who are mad that he’s being this way because they didn’t think he would be.  Learn who your GM is and how he operates rather than thinking what you want to happen and you’ll be much less surprised with how things play out.  That doesn’t mean you have agree with it just accept that’s what going to happen as long as that person is in charge.

But. but but buuuuuuuut the owner said they were all in!

i'm going to take my lollipop with me and go support Peyton Manning when he buys the Broncos haha

Really though, you've nailed it. This GM is actually pretty predictable. I can't knock the approach.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

C'mon, this isn't about the QB.  Or about not signing big named FA early on.

Maybe, he’s tank mode. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Btw Doug, I bet we have a complete roster whn, you know, we actually have to have a complete roster. Wanna wager on that?

And I bet its a pretty good roster. 

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Didn't you say you were in Hawaii?

Man, I can't imagine arguing w/ people on a goofy forum, instead of relaxing and drinking something out of a pineapple or coconut on the beach. 

I have to pick and choose my moments.  So far, so good.   :thmup:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Hes a good GM who has been hit with a lot of adversity, which includes the single hardest thing for a GM to do which is land a franchise QB without a top pick.

This is my problem with you people. You make these illogical statements and pretend youre being logical. 

What's illogical about it about pointing out the holes on this roster?

I honestly don't know if anyone has used the word "master," but it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, Ballard is largely considered by many fans to be a top 5 GM...some even think he is THE best GM. 

So I have no problem holding him to that standard, even at the QB position.

And the QB adversity is not remotely unique in anything but strange timing. Nearly all GMs have to address the QB position (many without a top pick). Ballard getting even one season of a QB like Luck is more than most GMs get. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Let's be real clear on this.........if the Bucs did not allow that nonsense, single coverage deep ball in the waning seconds of the game we would not even be talking about the Rams or the Stafford deal in any other light than they bet the entire farm on a high priced free agents and one trade. That ball drops or he's double covered and Stafford gets sacked on that play the Bucs probably march to the SB again.......

That one trade, btw, that we never stood a chance in making because the Lions new front office that year drafted Jared Goff and wanted a starting caliber QB in return PLUS the picks. We did not meet their trade criteria so we were never in the running - before you blame Ballard!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Dude @jvan1973 I'm not sure what you think is so funny? You think I like many are over-reacting?

This stuff is the same stuff EVERY YEAR since Ballard has been at the helm.

Answer me this? 

You're telling me it's okay to potentially pay a guard 20mil a year but it's not okay to give a WR 12?

Newsflash: Guards don't win games. Guards are not playmakers.

If you look at the needs of this team, it's all positions that actually WIN games or are key components to successful teams

WR

TE

CB

Edge Rush

LT

QB

Laugh all you want dude, but this is truth. Ballard is killing this team by blatantly not addressing the areas voided of talent because he can't get beyond the notion he might overpay

I think @NewColtsFan mentioned yesterday about sportrac numbers regarding Cox and how Ballard actually came in a mil less than a perceived value for a guy like Cox. Well, if Ballard is going to follow sportrac when evaluating every player that comes along, this team is screwed. It will never truly compete for Super Bowls. Super Bowls dude, not playoffs, not division champs, Super Bowls!!!

Every Colts fan should be tired of this non-sense. Not posting laughing emojis on obviously serious issues with this team. I care. That's why I'm bent. I care!!!!

I never said Ballard follows Spotrac.    I mentioned Spotrac to show what people who analyze contract value think of MAC.   Many here don’t seem to like him.   

And by the way, not to defend them,  but I think in balance,  Spotrac does a nice job with contract projections.   But they didn’t project Kirk at $18-21 mill per year.   That’s insane money.   But  I don’t think Ballard follows Spotrac at all.   Because he either doesn’t sign guys they like, or he doesn’t agree with the valuations.    

I think you and others are getting way too bent, way too soon.   He can still do plenty in the next few weeks to help this team.   But patience would be helpful. 

5 hours ago, Detectacon said:

Ballard isn’t the only one who is same old, same old. Every year we have this thread and every year the homers among us remind everyone that “FA just started.” 

Some people might want to wake up to the fact Ballard is white bread. Plain. Bland. Boring. No flair. No willingness to take the risk for greatness. 

Maybe FA signings won’t get us to the top, but neither has the approach he has been taking. 

If Irsay is serious about being all in than perhaps he should make sure his GM is too. I will call it now. Ballard will continue to be Ballard and this team will continue to be this team. Average at best. 

What your saying seems to be correct based on past successes. We’ve had one playoff win in five seasons under Ballard that’s not good enough. I really like Ballard  very much. But this is a bottom line business produce or they’ll find someone who will.  I mean Ballard sitting on his hands is not helping anything make this team into a championship contender especially in this very tough afc now. The competition is fierce even with 70 mill in cap space may not be enough if Ballard was to spend it all to compete and by all accounts he has done nothing to this point is disgraceful. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

nonsense...

Ballard sat right there on Daitrich show or however you spell his name and said point blank this team needed playmakers... HIS WORDS, echoing what some of us fans have been saying for years at the behest of others... Ok awesome!! Where are they? **chirp, chirp** .... Still waiting.... Crickets... Oh there one is, oh wait it's Cox... :facepalm: A guy who has not had more than a secondary role at best, who has had at least three years to step up and be a playmaker and zilch 

Enough with the apologies. Enough with the cliches. Enough. 

I will admit, Ballard is a cool guy. I would love to have a beer with him but this isn't about being a guys guy. It's about being a competent GM that wants what is best for this team, not how it relates to his perception of the team should be.

Seen the difference? His perception makes it all about him. This isn't rocket science nor is it hard to figure out.

Stop enabling this mediocrity

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

What's illogical about it about pointing out the holes on this roster?

I honestly don't know if anyone has used the word "master," but it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, Ballard is largely considered by many fans to be a top 5 GM...some even think he is THE best GM. 

So I have no problem holding him to that standard, even at the QB position.

And the QB adversity is not remotely unique in anything but strange timing. Nearly all GMs have to address the QB position (many without a top pick). Ballard getting even one season of a QB like Luck is more than most GMs get. 

I didnt say THAT was illogical.

Its illogical to suggest that the reason the Colts havent been more successful is that they didnt sign a guy like Christian Kirk or Kenny Golladay when the real reason is the glaring hole at QB which would prevent any of those players from even making the slightest impact. 

27 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Btw Doug, I bet we have a complete roster whn, you know, we actually have to have a complete roster. Wanna wager on that?

And I bet its a pretty good roster. 

I said that it will be filled by the end of the draft.  I'm sure of it.

The roster will be filled with free agents and rookies.   How do you know that it will be good?  How do you know that Ballard knows that good players will be in all of these positions of need, waiting there when he chooses to sign them or draft them?

Does that sound like a good plan to build a playoff roster?  A guy that's ahead of the curve?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Quarterback is one position and I think people are usually quite fair and ready to concede he's been quite unlucky on that front, Wentz debacle aside. 

What about the bad pass rush, though? Paye, Dayo and the other young guys better start producing soon. What about receiver? He only has Pittman to his credit. What about whiffing at left tackle with Fisher? He can still get that right this summer, but that was bad. What about the mediocre secondary that he hasn't addressed? Everything I've mentioned there regards basically the most important positions in the sport.

So even puting aside the QB issues, there's loads of fair criticisms to put on Ballard. These aren't illogical things to point out.

• Like 3