Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)


Bert Johns

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm standing by my belief that Ballard has on the phone with the Raiders since yesterday.  They're agreeing on the trade for Carr, just working out the trades and new contract amount.

 

That has to be why they haven't spent any money yet, right?  Seriously Ballard, there is a salary cap floor you know.

Carr is the poster boy for overpaid mediocrity. Cowherd showed where his numbers his first 4 years were worse than Trubisky’s. Trubisky just got 7m per and you want us to pay Carr 30m plus?  No thanks. I’d go with Jameis or Mariota and look to draft my QB next year.  I’d even rather go with Sam for a year and look to next year’s draft over trading capital and having to overpay Carr. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the topic of Ballard and Free Agency, here's what he said in his own words in a Colts.com article dated March 2, 2022:

 

"If an opportunity presents itself that we think is good, when we think we're getting a player of value at the right price, we'll do it," Ballard said. "Even if you have to overpay a bit, I'm okay with that."

 

"It's just when you straddle yourself with three years of guaranteed money because that's where free agency is going for the high price guys, and then you miss on it and leave yourself no out, then that strangles you going forward and we're going to have some players here going forward that we're going to want to keep," Ballard said. "So you got to balance that out."

 

This seams, to me at least, like a fair viewpoint for a GM to have. Of course there is risk involved in the high stakes game of Free Agency. Ballard is risk averse. It's up to you if you feel he's too averse to taking risks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Carr is the poster boy for overpaid mediocrity. Cowherd showed where his numbers his first 4 years were worse than Trubisky’s. Trubisky just got 7m per and you want us to pay Carr 30m plus?  No thanks. I’d go with Jameis or Mariota and look to draft my QB next year.  I’d rather go with Sam for a year and look to next year’s draft over trading capital and having to overpay Carr. 

 

  A quick look. Cowherd is full of it. avg.'s over 4 trs

 Carr 25 td 11int 3700 yds

 Trubisky 16 td 9 int 3200 yds  QBR'S  both around 50

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You act as if you know how one works.

 

Did they have all 4 of the most important offensive positions all on the same time line?  Or did they have to be concerned with just 1 spot.

 

Was there at least one successor to our's ever drafted in 6 years?  And PC was an immediate draft for slot need, not a future Z.  That was just a "what if he could do it"

No, I'm smart enough to know a front office full of long time NFL minds know the team needs better than anyone else. 

 

I'm smart enough to know they obviously have a plan.   

 

Some aren't.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. But that would be a key position filled by a young guy with plenty of prime years left.  If we signed Williams (or Mathieu), Armstead, & Winston, we’d be serious contenders for the AFC South crown next year.  I’m fine with drafting receivers but I’d fill that LT, FS, & QB spot with those 3 names and go from there.  
 

We could probably get Jameis on a 2 year deal worth 20-25m total.  If he falters, he could be our bridge to Stroud, Young, or Haener in next year’s draft. Doesn’t hamstring us with a long, burdensome contract. Plus he’d have familiarity with Armstead. And we’d still have cap room to re-sign our own guys.

The problem is sometimes these roster building plans have to have the first chip drop before the rest fall into place.....we are re-signing our own that fill critical spots and we know them so that is easy.

 

At the same time I firmly believe the next chip is the 2022 starting QB - whether he is a place holder type (any of the free agents on the market) or a trade for a longer term option (Carr, Watson) or potential place holders in trade (Garoppolo, Love, Matt Ryan). Then after that it opens up the FA WR or TE or LT or DE because now they know the direction they can go in the rest of FA or the draft! It all hinges on the type of QB and capital is given up.

 

This requires our fan base to be patient, but this thread is 13 pages already so the patience is clearly not there! LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Carr is the poster boy for overpaid mediocrity. Cowherd showed where his numbers his first 4 years were worse than Trubisky’s. Trubisky just got 7m per and you want us to pay Carr 30m plus?  No thanks. I’d go with Jameis or Mariota and look to draft my QB next year.  I’d even rather go with Sam for a year and look to next year’s draft over trading capital and having to overpay Carr. 

 

$30M is nothing for a top 16 QB in this league, and you have to admit he's at least in that group.  The cap will go up each year anyway.

 

The eye test tells me Carr is a much better QB than anyone else you mentioned.  Going with Sam and looking to the draft is like giving up the season.  We can't do that again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 OK, NOW my _ss IS chapped bigly!
 My dream of Marcus Williams as our new single high safety just went up in smoke.  What are you doing CB. We got nuthin' for reliable Safeties right now!  He was our last hope to anchor a real upgrade to our D.
So take that CB.

 Get your head out and your 5 for a dollar pen ready, we truly are left with crumbs. 

  :lecture::stir::hissy::Cry:

273876427_239365671741618_2382543828171957736_n.jpg

 

Dammit. That was the one guy I was hoping for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

No, I'm smart enough to know a front office full of long time NFL minds know the team needs better than anyone else. 

 

I'm smart enough to know they obviously have a plan.   

 

Some aren't.   

Well then, I guess it comes down to calling people unsmart because they expect a plan to have more than an ounce of proactiveness to it. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The problem is sometimes these roster building plans have to have the first chip drop before the rest fall into place.....we are re-signing our own that fill critical spots and we know them so that is easy.

 

At the same time I firmly believe the next chip is the 2022 starting QB - whether he is a place holder type (any of the free agents on the market) or a trade for a longer term option (Carr, Watson) or potential place holders in trade (Garoppolo, Love, Matt Ryan). Then after that it opens up the FA WR or TE or LT or DE because now they know the direction they can go in the rest of FA or the draft! It all hinges on the type of QB and capital is given up.

 

This requires our fan base to be patient, but this thread is 13 pages already so the patience is clearly not there! LOL


Just curious, in your opinion, how many years does the 6th best GM in football get, to make the Colts a playoff contender?

 

Lastly, when does the Luck excuse run out with Ballard. 

 

 Honest questions and no pun intended. I just want a Ballard guys opinion. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MPStack said:


Just curious, in your opinion, how many years does the 6th best GM in football get, to make the Colts a playoff contender?

 

Lastly, when does the Luck excuse run out with Ballard. 

 

 Honest questions and no pun intended. I just want a Ballard guys opinion. 

 

 

I like Ballard. Although Irsay maybe growing impatient, I dont think Ballard is on the hot seat. Luck did mess things up for him, Jacoby and Wentz did not pan out and Rivers retired sooner then he thought. 

Now he has been less then steller in the reciver postion. But I think he can turn that around in the draft. These FA are going for a ungodly amount of money and some of them are not even close to worth it. 

Just think how * Irsay would be if he spent all 70 mil and we were 1 and done worse yet have another season like last year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The problem is sometimes these roster building plans have to have the first chip drop before the rest fall into place.....we are re-signing our own that fill critical spots and we know them so that is easy.

 

At the same time I firmly believe the next chip is the 2022 starting QB - whether he is a place holder type (any of the free agents on the market) or a trade for a longer term option (Carr, Watson) or potential place holders in trade (Garoppolo, Love, Matt Ryan). Then after that it opens up the FA WR or TE or LT or DE because now they know the direction they can go in the rest of FA or the draft! It all hinges on the type of QB and capital is given up.

 

This requires our fan base to be patient, but this thread is 13 pages already so the patience is clearly not there! LOL

 

MAC and Franklin fill critical spots? MAC is a TE2 and Franklin played less than 20% of defensive snaps. Basically a blocking TE and a STer. 

 

I am glad to have them back, but these are tertiary moves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random thoughts for some context...

 

Losing a franchise QB is fatal, some teams have spent decades trying to recover so 3/4 years, while disappointing isn't unexpected. Throw in at least making the playoffs and being generally competitive and it could be a lot worse. In some respects it might be have been better had it been.

 

Pro bowls are a baaaad way to assess player talent these days. AP I'll give you, but pro-bowl might as well be 50/50 chance from just playing at the current rate.

 

No one here really knows the inner workings of ours, or other front offices. Fine to speculate, to opinionate, but those speaking in absolutes are absolute....

 

We would like to see more FA action, because well, it's exciting. But that doesn't meant spending like it's the end of the world is the way to go. Prices are pretty high looking at the deals so far. Don't buy in a selling market 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I like Ballard. Although Irsay maybe growing impatient, I dont think Ballard is on the hot seat. Luck did mess things up for him, Jacoby and Wentz did not pan out and Rivers retired sooner then he thought. 

Now he has been less then stellar in the receiver position. But I think he can turn that around in the draft. These FA are going for a ungodly amount of money and some of them are not even close to worth it. 

Just think how * Irsay would be if he spent all 70 mil and we were 1 and done worse yet have another season like last year. 

Every GM has their weakness in the draft. Sometimes, it's not selecting the right players. Sometimes it's not getting the players they selected the right coaching. Sometimes it's not using the right scheme for that player. Sometimes it's bad luck in injuries.

 

Grigson didn't get it done with offensive linemen. Ballard so far it's WR and QB. I think it's fair to say that the biggest difference between those 2 GM's, is stability at the QB position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MPStack said:


Just curious, in your opinion, how many years does the 6th best GM in football get, to make the Colts a playoff contender?

 

Lastly, when does the Luck excuse run out with Ballard. 

 

 Honest questions and no pun intended. I just want a Ballard guys opinion. 

 

 

The Colts were a playoff contender and still are with the right QB.

 

Perhaps you should go back and look at the 2020 free agency and draft for a viable QB. Or 2021 for that matter and tell me what you would have done differently given the circumstances Ballard has faced.

 

When you come back empty handed then you will understand why I support a GM that has kept us competitive in spite of the circumstances he was dealt when Andrew chose retirement rather abruptly AFTER the 2019 draft and free agency period had passed.

 

4-12 in 2017 while rebuilding that mess of a roster he inherited and Jacoby Brissett as his starter/place holder for Luck that was injured

10-6 in 2018 and 1-1 in the playoffs with Luck back and healthy - still rebuilding the roster

7-9 in 2019 after Luck retired abruptly and we had to turn back to Brissett who is a quality back-up but not starter

11-5 in 2020 and 0-1 in the playoffs with Rivers - though I blame Frank for some poor coaching calls in that game losing to the Bills 27-24 and we should have advanced

9-8 last year under Wentz who we ran out of town but 9-6 before crumbling under the pressure of win and get in

 

Some things require context instead of just looking at won-loss records. I'm sure you would likely use that same argument when talking about Peyton Manning's career when folks bring up "his" playoff record - context is remembering that our former drunken * kicker failed to convert game winning field goals against the Dolphins (not to mention the defense giving up 220 rushing yards to Lamar Smith) and Steelers in back-to-back years even though Manning got them in position to win (I'm sure I am missing one or two but those come to mind easily). No different than Tom Brady doing the same thing and Vinatieri making his field goals to advance the Patriots.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

The Colts were a playoff contender and still are with the right QB.

 

Perhaps you should go back and look at the 2020 free agency and draft for a viable QB. Or 2021 for that matter and tell me what you would have done differently given the circumstances Ballard has faced.

 

When you come back empty handed then you will understand why I support a GM that has kept us competitive in spite of the circumstances he was dealt when Andrew chose retirement rather abruptly AFTER the 2019 draft and free agency period had passed.

 

4-12 in 2017 while rebuilding that mess of a roster he inherited and Jacoby Brissett as his starter/place holder for Luck that was injured

10-6 in 2018 and 1-1 in the playoffs with Luck back and healthy - still rebuilding the roster

7-9 in 2019 after Luck retired abruptly and we had to turn back to Brissett who is a quality back-up but not starter

11-5 in 2020 and 0-1 in the playoffs with Rivers - though I blame Frank for some poor coaching calls in that game losing to the Bills 27-24 and we should have advanced

9-8 last year under Wentz who we ran out of town but 9-6 before crumbling under the pressure of win and get in

 

Some things require context instead of just looking at won-loss records. I'm sure you would likely use that same argument when talking about Peyton Manning's career when folks bring up "his" playoff record - context is remembering that our former drunken * kicker failed to convert game winning field goals against the Dolphins (not to mention the defense giving up 220 rushing yards to Lamar Smith) and Steelers in back-to-back years even though Manning got them in position to win (I'm sure I am missing one or two but those come to mind easily). No different than Tom Brady doing the same thing and Vinatieri making his field goals to advance the Patriots.

 

 


You didn’t answer either question. I didn’t need your novel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

All I know is Marcus Williams at $16M AAV would have been fine with me. Reddick too. The two most important needs on defense, especially for Bradley's scheme. But it wasn't to be.

 

Those two I agree with, but would you say our holes on O might stop us splashing on the D side? Not that the secondary is all that great...and pass rush we're relying on hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

MAC and Franklin fill critical spots? MAC is a TE2 and Franklin played less than 20% of defensive snaps. Basically a blocking TE and a STer. 

 

I am glad to have them back, but these are tertiary moves.

Tertiery......word of the day, I like it ~ not being sarcastic either! Cox is our TE1 and while Franklin played 20% or less snaps doesn't matter when he plays ALL special teams snaps.

 

They do fill critical spots whether we see it or not. So does Dulin. Our special teams units are ranked in the top of all statistics because of critical players like them.

 

Teams need three strong units and if we can retain our own players in those spots that is even better.  Not too mention I do believe Franklin is a locker room leader and team captain! Bringing those guys back is always critical!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well then, I guess it comes down to calling people unsmart because they expect a plan to have more than an ounce of proactiveness to it. 

 

 

You don't know the plan.   How do you know it doesn't have proactiveness  to it?   Just because Ballard and company haven't made their plan known to the public doesn't mean their isn't a plan.   Good lord

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

The Colts were a playoff contender and still are with the right QB.

 

Perhaps you should go back and look at the 2020 free agency and draft for a viable QB. Or 2021 for that matter and tell me what you would have done differently given the circumstances Ballard has faced.

 

When you come back empty handed then you will understand why I support a GM that has kept us competitive in spite of the circumstances he was dealt when Andrew chose retirement rather abruptly AFTER the 2019 draft and free agency period had passed.

 

4-12 in 2017 while rebuilding that mess of a roster he inherited and Jacoby Brissett as his starter/place holder for Luck that was injured

10-6 in 2018 and 1-1 in the playoffs with Luck back and healthy - still rebuilding the roster

7-9 in 2019 after Luck retired abruptly and we had to turn back to Brissett who is a quality back-up but not starter

11-5 in 2020 and 0-1 in the playoffs with Rivers - though I blame Frank for some poor coaching calls in that game losing to the Bills 27-24 and we should have advanced

9-8 last year under Wentz who we ran out of town but 9-6 before crumbling under the pressure of win and get in

 

Some things require context instead of just looking at won-loss records. I'm sure you would likely use that same argument when talking about Peyton Manning's career when folks bring up "his" playoff record - context is remembering that our former drunken * kicker failed to convert game winning field goals against the Dolphins (not to mention the defense giving up 220 rushing yards to Lamar Smith) and Steelers in back-to-back years even though Manning got them in position to win (I'm sure I am missing one or two but those come to mind easily). No different than Tom Brady doing the same thing and Vinatieri making his field goals to advance the Patriots.

 

 

 

So basically a 9-win team the past 4 years. That's a fringe playoff team. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Those two I agree with, but would you say our holes on O might stop us splashing on the D side? Not that the secondary is all that great...and pass rush we're relying on hope.

 

I might say that if they actually signed anybody. But regardless, I would rather fish where the fish are...so to speak. If there are legit studs available on defense at positions of need in FA (and I believe those two to be studs), I would rather sign them and use my draft capital on offense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:


I want a Ballard guys perspective. And you can’t answer either question? Lol

Based off of our interactions you don't want perspective you just want to troll and continue to argue your point. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me. Move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want us to get good free agents too BUT. I still believe in Ballard. We went from having Andrew Luck and a few Manning colt leftovers to having a solid all around team that is being held back by not being set at the most important position in sports. QB solves EVERYTHING for us. Easier said than done.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Based off of our interactions you don't want perspective you just want to troll and continue to argue your point. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me. Move on.


I asked two questions you refuse to answer. And now you want to call me a troll. Weak! 
 

Who have I attacked? You are clearly angry and aggressive in our convo. We disagree and your entitled to your opinion as I am. 
 

Sad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

So basically a 9-win team the past 4 years. That's a fringe playoff team. 

Yeah. Apply for a job at Colt's HQ's and do better than the guy that is supremely respected by his peers for his abilities! If you folks did your own research and looked at all options available since Lucks retirement you may actually learn something. But no, you'd rather waste energy trying to convince a guy who did the research and can see the reasoning behind those decisions.

 

Perhaps I'd be more amicable to your position if any of you said anything about how you would have handles the situation differently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MPStack said:


I asked two questions you refuse to answer. And now you want to call me a troll. Weak! 
 

Who have I attacked? You are clearly angry and aggressive in our convo. We disagree and your entitled to your opinion as I am. 
 

Sad

You have said nothing intelligent to support your opinion. I at least gave you some info but if you cannot research anything and provide your reasons other than 41-40 then there is no amicable conversation to be had. 

 

You are like that new intern that goes to the boss and poo poo's on a new process but offer zero alternatives. If you think Ballard is so bad - prove it by laying out what you would do different (in hindsight of course) given the circumstances the Colts Franchise has faced.

 

Talk about weak. You're just hiding behind insults......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

You have said nothing intelligent to support your opinion. I at least gave you some info but if you cannot research anything and provide your reasons other than 41-40 then there is no amicable conversation to be had. 

 

You are like that new intern that goes to the boss and poo poo's on a new process but offer zero alternatives. If you think Ballard is so bad - prove it by laying out what you would do different (in hindsight of course) given the circumstances the Colts Franchise has faced.

 

Talk about weak. You're just hiding behind insults......


Who posted 41-40 Scotty? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

So basically a 9-win team the past 4 years. That's a fringe playoff team. 

Isnt "fringe playoff team" another way of saying "playoff CONTENDER" ?

 

Or do you mean they should be soooo good they are not only in the playoffs, they are competing with the upper echelon of the AFC despite a tremendous disadvantage at QB?

 

Cmon man.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Tertiery......word of the day, I like it ~ not being sarcastic either! Cox is our TE1 and while Franklin played 20% or less snaps doesn't matter when he plays ALL special teams snaps.

 

They do fill critical spots whether we see it or not. So does Dulin. Our special teams units are ranked in the top of all statistics because of critical players like them.

 

Teams need three strong units and if we can retain our own players in those spots that is even better.  Not too mention I do believe Franklin is a locker room leader and team captain! Bringing those guys back is always critical!

 

But having MAC as your TE1 isn't a good thing though...that's the point. He shouldn't be a priority.

 

I imagine Franklin being a locker room leader and team captain did play a big role. That's how this team operates. But truthfully, I can't begin to tell you how little that stuff matters to me. That's JMO...I am not criticizing it, but I also don't applaud it. 

 

It is interesting that Ballard wouldn't give Odum a long-term deal, but Franklin gets one. Something tells me that won't sit well with Odum.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It's good for the team to get this far but outside of that, it is meaningless.  The GM will have a better grasp on what is needed.  Hopefully no one demands a trade or chooses to sign elsewhere.   Now if they win today, this discussion is moot.    I am a realist and it has served me well at work.  I have worked with people who think everything will work out fine no matter what, like you.  It doesn't go well for them.  You have to admit faults.  
    • I didn't vote 'cause it's still a bit early for my prediction.   I wasn't crazy about the off-season not acquiring new talent to a team that is running it back with the same players that missed the playoffs with a favorable schedule.  This years schedule seems tougher but the roster with the top two draft picks, AR5 hopefully stays healthy AND JT at the beginning of season is reason to be optimistic of hopefully improving on the win total and more importantly making the playoffs.   So for now I'll wait and see how training camp goes before evaluating the upcoming season with a win total......... But despite the lack of signing FA's to bolster the roster I'm thinking it's not going out on the limb to think this year it could be the colts turn to shine in the AFC south?   '24  ??? '23 Texans '22 Jags '21  Titans   
    • I used to be a huge track guy back in the 90's. A friend of mine had a house right behind the track, I used to park in his driveway, get drunk all weekend, eat barbecue while walking around near the track on Saturday night and go to the race on Sunday = great ol' days. I also went to some qualifications in my day, even stayed in a suite that Vern Fleming was in, and we talked basketball for hours back in 1994 when the Pacers 1st got good, got drunk and ate Shrimp LOL. I didn't miss a race from 1989-2002, but things started to change with me when the police got worse not letting people party the way they wanted too and monitoring everything. I had a buddy get arrested for some dumb nonsense. Since then, I have boycotted going to the race or partying around the track.  - Thank you!
  • Members

    • TheNewGuy

      TheNewGuy 38

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Moe

      Moe 607

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Smoke317

      Smoke317 2,439

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 1,910

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 9,085

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Myles

      Myles 7,087

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superman

      Superman 20,969

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • colts89

      colts89 1,051

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • G8R

      G8R 54

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LJpalmbeacher2

      LJpalmbeacher2 5,500

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...