Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Colts get a extra 5th and 6th round pick in the draft. 

Farming comp picks has been a sneaky masterstroke strategy in the NFL In recent years. NE and Newsome era Baltimore always seemed to gain at least 2 picks a year. Might be late day picks, but it's still getting to throw the dice another go.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jimmy was up 17-7 in the NFC Title Game, was it his fault the D couldn't hold it or get an easy INT to seal the game. Of course Jimmy played bad against the Titans so did Wentz along with the Raiders and the Jags. Brady got shut out by the Saints, it happens but Wentz has laid so many eggs that I have lost count.

its a passing league you cant put up 232 yards in a championship game and go 16-30 that is around 50 percent completion . he cant win games without a strong run game and elite defense .  he averaged 178 yards per game in the playoffs this year only threw  two touchdowns and 3 picks in both playoff games combined  .   in 2019 during his superbowl run he averaged 142 yards per game two touchdowns and 3 picks the whole playoff run .   in three playoff games he threw two touchdowns with 3 picks that is horrible same with 2021 he puts up jacoby stats .     there is a reason the 49ers are trading him when trey lance hasnt really impressed them .  he is a one year stop gap at best so trading anything over one 4th round pick wold backfire

53 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Just curious, in your opinion, how many years does the 6th best GM in football get, to make the Colts a playoff contender?

Lastly, when does the Luck excuse run out with Ballard. 

Honest questions and no pun intended. I just want a Ballard guys opinion. 

In my opinion - and I think Ballard is a pretty good GM:

1. I think Ballard needs to address the QB situation in the next 2-3 years to find a franchise guy.  I throw out that number knowing that he hasn't addressed the QB position with a successful long term solution in several years knowing we need one.  That is on him.  But I also know finding a franchise QB is not easy.  
  2. The Luck excuse has already run out.  It is a fact but a fact in the past.  

I say this with the feeling that just getting rid of Ballard and bringing in some other guy as the GM is not necessarily a solution.  Kind of like the QB situation - you can bring in another guy but will he really be better? 

• Like 1

Draft is on April 28 to 30th. Players can begin work programs in mid April. 

If we want a new QB, we better get him signed before April 16th. You can still draft a QB but that is a back up plan at best. 

I am not confident that Ballard is going to sign Garapolo because 49ers want a 2nd round draft. 

For those who placed "in Ballard we trust" this is the moment of truth. He needs to pull the rabbit out of the hat. 

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

1. I think Ballard needs to address the QB situation in the next 2-3 years to find a franchise guy.  I throw out that number knowing that he hasn't addressed the QB position with a successful long term solution in several years knowing we need one.  That is on him.  But I also know finding a franchise QB is not easy.  

I say this with the feeling that just getting rid of Ballard and bringing in some other guy as the GM is not necessarily a solution.  Kind of like the QB situation - you can bring in another guy but will he really be better? 

nvm deleted

6 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Draft is on April 28 to 30th. Players can begin work programs in mid April. 

If we want a new QB, we better get him signed before April 16th. You can still draft a QB but that is a back up plan at best. 

I am not confident that Ballard is going to sign Garapolo because 49ers want a 2nd round draft. 

For those who placed "in Ballard we trust" this is the moment of truth. He needs to pull the rabbit out of the hat. 

A reasonable plan for this offseason, IMO, is to prepare for getting your young QB next year.    That means to draft all of the position you need on offense to have them have a year of experience, and to grow together with the young Qb over the years.

Assuming Ballard drafts all offense, that's a lot of hitting on all of your picks from 42 through the 4th round just to have a decent team. 

It will take on the appearance of this being a rebuilding offseason in year 5 of his tenure.  And its in stark contrast to those who think that we are a QB away, or are close to being a real contender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I agree with most everything you said. But Luck set this team back big time. I know you have to move forward but that guy was a once in a lifetime player. So until we find our franchise guy then he gets that excuse every year from me.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A reasonable plan for this offseason, IMO, is to prepare for getting your young QB next year.    That means to draft all of the position you need on offense to have them have a year of experience, and to grow together with the young Qb over the years.

Assuming Ballard drafts all offense, that's a lot of hitting on all of your picks from 42 through the 4th round just to have a decent team. 

It will take on the appearance of this being a rebuilding offseason in year 5 of his tenure.  And its in stark contrast to those who think that we are a QB away, or are close to being a real contender.

And that is the issue/concern with Ballard's rigid and methodical approach to team building. It works to a much higher degree when you already have your quarterback in place. Now we face the slow carnival ride towards potentially breaking up the current core and going full rebuild before the next QB is ready to help the Colts contend. Painful to watch. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Farming comp picks has been a sneaky masterstroke strategy in the NFL In recent years. NE and Newsome era Baltimore always seemed to gain at least 2 picks a year. Might be late day picks, but it's still getting to throw the dice another go.

Exactly right! New England was on top of this early. and built much of their depth from trading back and leveraging the compensatory game. They added another 2nd/3rd round pick for next year -this week.

12 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

And that is the issue/concern with Ballard's rigid and methodical approach to team building. It works to a much higher degree when you already have your quarterback in place. Now we face the slow carnival ride towards potentially breaking up the current core and going full rebuild before the next QB is ready to help the Colts contend. Painful to watch. 

Agree with this a lot, I've always liked the GB approach of tending to draft and pay their own, but a lot easier with a franchise QB. Till you nail that position I feel all bets are off, and that's the biggest drawback of the NFL in general.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Darius is all over Twitter trying to recruit players. His latest is chandler Jones and Stephon Gilmore.

I'm curious if we'd even make a move for Jones after his brother flopped with us.

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Put Andrew Luck on this roster,   we make a deep run the last few years

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jimmy IS more an opposite of Carson.

Jimmy is more like Rivers.

Carson more like Jay Cutler.

Is interesting that Kurt Warners video appeared showing Carson was an *, couldn't read a D, had no clue how to properly look off safeties, and didn't bother taking those FB 101 plays, and others say it is a Irsay hissy fit.

I saw plenty of evidence that there is something wrong in his head, and THAT makes Reich look very bad, apology accepted, so far.

It's interesting you mention the Warner video.

For those crying about Wince, the Warner video should be required viewing for Colts fans. 

I realize it is 40 minutes long, but break it up into 2 20 minute sessions. 

If you watch the video it is clear why the Colts got rid of Wince.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Free agency has started and he only has signed one of his own players staying out of the first day feeding frenzy. This is his pattern. First week goes by and waits to see what's left it seems like while most difference makers are all gone. 

SMH.    How is this a surprise to anyone??? He has told everyone he WONT spend big in the first days of FA

I am staying away from this sight for the most part.    Would love it if all the rumors were deleted.

Only on here to see a new thread that says we have signed_________

Ya'll are nuts 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

The offense barely has any players on the roster.  That's a fact.  There are only two sources, free agency and the draft.

His plan is to not have anybody under contract on offense, and then to rely upon getting them in free agency or have the players fall to him in the draft the right way?

Does that sound like a plan?  Not just a different plan than mine, but any reasonable plan at all? 

Or is the situation a culmination of previously bad decisions coming to a head in one offseason?

sounds like a plan of delayed gratification

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You have said nothing intelligent to support your opinion. I at least gave you some info but if you cannot research anything and provide your reasons other than 41-40 then there is no amicable conversation to be had. 

You are like that new intern that goes to the boss and poo poo's on a new process but offer zero alternatives. If you think Ballard is so bad - prove it by laying out what you would do different (in hindsight of course) given the circumstances the Colts Franchise has faced.

Talk about weak. You're just hiding behind insults......

He may not be  bad but honestly one even has a hard time saying he is average. He is 41 and 40 I  believe. Please don't use the Luck excuse.  They should have been looking for the future qb after Luck bailed.  However they tried to sell Brissett. Their  evaluation was bad and set the  organization back. Then onto Rivers who had a year left in him and then onto Wentz. U  starting to see a trend here????

• Like 1

Same old way Ballard approaches his way is broken, he has not got us into pass the first round of the playoffs.  Need to change his way by signing quality free agents....Randy Gregory could have signed with the Colts.  Definitely could use more edge rushers....

• Like 1

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but with so much cap there's no excuse for not filling the major holes - LT, Edge Rusher, and WR.  Those guys are sitting there waiting to be overpaid by someone.

I'm hoping that they're working on how to address QB and that will start the dominoes.  If they go with a stop gap, there's plenty of cap space to get the top guys in those positions.  If they somehow swing a deal for Carr, then it's a different story.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm for me if the Colts have actually made a trade offer to another team to get a new QB this season? This is a serious question. We were supposedly interested in Russell Wilson, but did we actually ever submit an offer to Seattle? We have been linked closely to Carr, Garoppolo, Mariota, Minshew and others but have we really ever put an offer on the table anywhere? You would think with all of the reports and rumors out there we would at least hear that the Colts have made specific offers for specific players. I have never seen this confirmed yet. If we were seriously going after Carr or Garoppolo than you would think that reports would leak that the Colts have actually offered picks, players, whatever. Can anyone confirm this?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Same old way Ballard approaches his way is broken, he has not got us into pass the first round of the playoffs.  Need to change his way by signing quality free agents....Randy Gregory could have signed with the Colts.  Definitely could use more edge rushers....

Randy Gregory got 70m and his career high is 6 sacks in a season.  No thanks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Only thing I don't agree with is how we always sign players (mostly our players) to one year deals.  I feel like it always puts us in a weird spot every FA

Do you think this is a choice of management...or the player?

On 3/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, philba101 said:

Can anyone confirm for me if the Colts have actually made a trade offer to another team to get a new QB this season? This is a serious question. We were supposedly interested in Russell Wilson, but did we actually ever submit an offer to Seattle? We have been linked closely to Carr, Garoppolo, Mariota, Minshew and others but have we really ever put an offer on the table anywhere? You would think with all of the reports and rumors out there we would at least hear that the Colts have made specific offers for specific players. I have never seen this confirmed yet. If we were seriously going after Carr or Garoppolo than you would think that reports would leak that the Colts have actually offered picks, players, whatever. Can anyone confirm this?

Do you really expect a credible source to confirm any of this?  No one in the Colts organization is going to say yay or nay.  What purpose would it serve them to show their hand?

Listen to Kevin Bowen, Mike Chappell, etc..  Those guys have sources, but even they say it's pretty buttoned up right now.  

I'm as frustrated as everyone else.  I hope that once the QB situation is straightened out, Ballard will fill the other holes, like LT and WR.

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Do you really expect a credible source to confirm any of this?  No one in the Colts organization is going to say yay or nay.  What purpose would it serve them to show their hand?

Listen to Kevin Bowen, Mike Chappell, etc..  Those guys have sources, but even they say it's pretty buttoned up right now.  

I'm as frustrated as everyone else.  I hope that once the QB situation is straightened out, Ballard will fill the other holes, like LT and WR.

I don't expect to get details about every trade deal discussed between GM's but you would think by this point we would know what the Niners actually expect to get for Jimmy G, or what has been offered and rejected so we know that they that is not enough.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

I don't expect to get details about every trade deal discussed between GM's but you would think by this point we would know what the Niners actually expect to get for Jimmy G, or what has been offered and rejected so we know that they that is not enough.

Half the time it's agents leaking things to reporters to build up their client's value.  I can answer your question about what the Niners want for Jimmy G - as much as they can get!  

I heard some people projecting that a 3rd round pick would do it.  In this QB hungry league, I'd guess it would be more than that.  He's not my favorite mainly because he's still healing up and will miss OTAs and maybe some of the camp.