Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What's more likely?

A. Ballard and the Colts brass have no plan

Or. 

B.   Things are happening behind closed doors and they are working their plan. 

Obviously there is a plan.    

A plan is proactive.  A plan that changes frequently is not a plan.  That's called being reactive.

Point is, with silence, nobody KNOWS that he has an actual plan...that is working....or if he's just slow to pull a trigger.

• Like 1

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Luck retired on Ballards watch isn't exactly a positive thing to add to your resume.

He was sacked far less under Ballard than Grigs.    His love for the game was obviously lost in the training room for many years of getting the hell beat out of him.     Some of that was on Luck though

Just now, DougDew said:

A plan is proactive.  A plan that changes frequently is not a plan.  That's called being reactive.

Point is, with silence, nobody KNOWS that he has an actual plan...that is working....of if he's just slow to pull a trigger.

Or we don't know what is plan is.   Everyone messing their pants because he hasn't went ham and giving guys like Kirk 21 million per is ridiculous.    This is a billion dollar organization.    They're several people working on several things.    There is a plan.    To think otherwise is nonsense

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He was sacked far less under Ballard than Grigs.    His love for the game was obviously lost in the training room for many years of getting the hell beat out of him.     Some of that was on Luck though

And, from the get go in college, the reports were that Luck was kind of a weird personality...not your traditional football player mindset (whatever that means).  His love or heart for the game may not have ever been there, and it took less adversity for him to walk away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Point is, with silence, nobody KNOWS that he has an actual plan...that is working....of if he's just slow to pull a trigger.

I disagree that a plan that changes frequently is not a plan.  Plans do change frequently.  I see it where I work all of the time.  In fact, in IT we now use - and it is used all over the place - a methodology called Agile that allows us to plan but also respond to changing requirements more quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Marcus Williams 5/70

Randy Gregory 5/70

That is serious cabbage for those two

Christian Kirk the 3rd highest paid WR

You folks really expect the Colts to just throw away money like that? Gregory is one strike away from being kicked out of the NFL and they gave him that contract? Seriously.

You folks need to look around at this lunacy.....

What’s wrong with that contract for Williams?  He’s definitely a top 10 safety and arguably top 5.  Definitely top 5 in coverage for FS’s.  That contract would’ve been fine. Pair him with Blackmon and our secondary & coverage  would’ve been very stout. Hard pass on Kirk and Gregory at those numbers. Maybe we can still get Mathieu at a similar number…  

18 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think now might be a good time to catch a breath.

I've been noticing a lot of posts and responses that are headed the way of potentially getting over heated. I for one am recently guilty of this today towards @GoatBeard and possibly @Scott Pennock I would personally like to take this moment to apologize. FOR NOTHING!! Pound sand!! :funny:

No in all seriousness, I do apologize as I realize that your point of view is just how you feel and with that, I might add this:

**I'm totally guessing here but I think sometimes on here the older guys/girls have different takes than the younger ones. Not in every situation but sometimes when you get older, and things were a certain way for a while you're happy just to be relevant and I think this perception bleeds over into this team. I only mention this based on most of the points of view from that way of thinking.

Too much money

We are just spoiled

We should be grateful to have had Manning and luck

Ballard is making sure this team is in the hunt year after year without overextending the franchise

If we do "X", we can make the playoffs

I could go on and on

Truthfully, I kind of agreed with some of that for a longtime, but then I realized something. The NFL is changing and changing fast. It's actually happening in every facet of our world. Impatience I believe is the word. This isn't about doing "X" anymore just to make the playoffs. This is about doing "more than X" to win it all.

To sum it up. For all of you who are still having a hard time breaking away from that old mantra remember this:

Those of us who are getting really sick of that old mantra are not trying to break away completely or even have anyone still holding on to that way of team building to break completely away either. We are really trying to get a meeting in the middle, just to see if it actually works. We see evidence from other teams good and bad, but with us it's the same old stuff, i.e., the title of this thread and it really isn't working. It seems close sometimes, but there is a disconnect somewhere and it's NOT just about the QB

Hopefully those of you who do not like some of our criticisms can understand that and see it from our view. We have seen it from yours going on 6 years now, you don't have to keep pounding you're point. We have heard it, we have lived it. You could say the same thing to us about pounding our point, however where you hearing it might be comparable to us hearing yours, you haven't lived our point of view. None of us have. We would just like to have a chance to live it for comparison sake. Ballard has yet to allow that to happen. that's why we are growing more unsettled. 

Anyway, regardless of what happens we should not really be infighting. Healthy banter is good, being cruddy is not as we are ALL Colts fans

Again, sorry I got a little snippy/cruddy @GoatBeard and @Scott Pennock and whoever else. You be you my friends. -Peace

I never took anything personal! LOL  Having said that I see this spending money theme and I equate it to something I do in my personal life as a hobby.

I run three adult softball teams. Two of which compete at a national level which requires travel on weekends to various parts of the country. My team plays for me for the love of the game and while I have sponsors who pick up the tab on a few things, for the most part myself and my guys fund our own travel and our own lodging out-of-pocket. We play against teams that 'buy' their talent by promising to pay for travel and lodging and even some of them get paid per diem for the weekend. We routinely beat most of those teams because "we are built, not bought". So from my perspective you don't need to 'buy' a roster no matter what the sport is. 

I'm sure you can see why I align with Ballard's build a bear type philosophy now.....build thru the draft and spend shrewdly and wisely in FA.....I do the same thing. I built the core of the team with solid recruiting and we add a piece here or there every off-season that fits in with our team concept - and they almost always come from those high priced teams!

now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.......

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not to mention he found out he was going to be a father and I think it really hit him he didn’t want his body destroyed from football so he couldn’t do things with his kid.  The one “knock”, if you can really call it that, about Luck when he came out of school was that he didn’t need football.  He was so smart and well rounded he could be just as happy without football.  

11 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

That's a noble way of saying you have no opinion and go with the general consensus of what journos, who have a bias toward to organization, by the way, will tell you. Or his peers, who are also biased. Congrats, I guess. 

It's pretty simple; I look at his inactivity in improving the secondary and the receiving group, and his failure thus far at left tackle and pass rush and then I point out that those things aren't good.

This isn't rocket science. It's not even really armchair criticism, it's pointing out the blatantly obvious. If you're offended by that or that kind of criticism, I don't know what to tell you. If he's a "good" GM, he might be successful in doing this eventually. And maybe he'll do something at the QB position, while we're at it. Here's hoping, eh.

Ive stated my opinion over and over.

My opinion is neither one of us know what we are talking about, but youre the only one making any dubious claims. 

Im not offended at all.

29 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think now might be a good time to catch a breath.

I've been noticing a lot of posts and responses that are headed the way of potentially getting over heated. I for one am recently guilty of this today towards @GoatBeard and possibly @Scott Pennock I would personally like to take this moment to apologize. FOR NOTHING!! Pound sand!! :funny:

No in all seriousness, I do apologize as I realize that your point of view is just how you feel and with that, I might add this:

**I'm totally guessing here but I think sometimes on here the older guys/girls have different takes than the younger ones. Not in every situation but sometimes when you get older, and things were a certain way for a while you're happy just to be relevant and I think this perception bleeds over into this team. I only mention this based on most of the points of view from that way of thinking.

Too much money

We are just spoiled

We should be grateful to have had Manning and luck

Ballard is making sure this team is in the hunt year after year without overextending the franchise

If we do "X", we can make the playoffs

I could go on and on

Truthfully, I kind of agreed with some of that for a longtime, but then I realized something. The NFL is changing and changing fast. It's actually happening in every facet of our world. Impatience I believe is the word. This isn't about doing "X" anymore just to make the playoffs. This is about doing "more than X" to win it all.

To sum it up. For all of you who are still having a hard time breaking away from that old mantra remember this:

Those of us who are getting really sick of that old mantra are not trying to break away completely or even have anyone still holding on to that way of team building to break completely away either. We are really trying to get a meeting in the middle, just to see if it actually works. We see evidence from other teams good and bad, but with us it's the same old stuff, i.e., the title of this thread and it really isn't working. It seems close sometimes, but there is a disconnect somewhere and it's NOT just about the QB

Hopefully those of you who do not like some of our criticisms can understand that and see it from our view. We have seen it from yours going on 6 years now, you don't have to keep pounding you're point. We have heard it, we have lived it. You could say the same thing to us about pounding our point, however where you hearing it might be comparable to us hearing yours, you haven't lived our point of view. None of us have. We would just like to have a chance to live it for comparison sake. Ballard has yet to allow that to happen. that's why we are growing more unsettled. 

Anyway, regardless of what happens we should not really be infighting. Healthy banter is good, being cruddy is not as we are ALL Colts fans

Again, sorry I got a little snippy/cruddy @GoatBeard and @Scott Pennock and whoever else. You be you my friends. -Peace

Or maybe we have just had real problems in life and dont get too worked up over NFL free agency?

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

We get it, you love Ballard. I’m fine with that. 

However, your embarrassing yourself with the Pro Bowl stuff. 

I see two or three All Pro, currently on the Colts roster.  Not enough to make the playoffs. A roster with to many holes after five years. 

2022 doesn’t look good IMO and I’d like to see a regime change. If, that makes you mad, so be it. 

Embarrassing myself.....lol

You have your opinion and I have mine. We'll see who's looks better moving forward. You do realize that Ballard was rated the best talent evaluator and 6th best GM overall as recently as 2021......doubt you will get your regime change!

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Or we don't know what is plan is.   Everyone messing their pants because he hasn't went ham and giving guys like Kirk 21 million per is ridiculous.    This is a billion dollar organization.    They're several people working on several things.    There is a plan.    To think otherwise is nonsense

Yes, when you lose out signing Engram, you start a new plan to find a TE.  There is always a plan.  But that kind of a plan isn't a complement.  

Going into the offseason with virtually no offense under contract is a plan?  I understand that yeah, 2 months ago that may have been the plan when you decide to trade Wentz and let Fisher walk a long walk.

But knowing for 3 to 4 years that AC, TY, and Doyle are getting old....and after you sign a 39 year old QB that you know you will have to replace too, somebody with a more proactive plan would have seen this coming.  He backed himself into a corner that he now needs help/luck to get out of successfully.  JMO. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Grigson closed the deal on free agents he brought in.....look how that turned out

33-15 in first 3 seasons, 3 playoff appearances including 2 Division Titles  plus 3 playoff wins and a AFC Championship Game appearance (deflate gate game). 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And, from the get go in college, the reports were that Luck was kind of a weird personality...not your traditional football player mindset (whatever that means).  His love or heart for the game may not have ever been there, and it took less adversity for him to walk away.

I worried about that personality trait from the start. He always seemed like he would be content walking away and pursuing other interests. I think when the injuries and rehab started piling up the Colts should have already been looking for a replacement (Green Bay style) . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I disagree that a plan that changes frequently is not a plan.  Plans do change frequently.  I see it where I work all of the time.  In fact, in IT we now use - and it is used all over the place - a methodology called Agile that allows us to plan but also respond to changing requirements more quickly. 

But a constantly changing plan is not the context people use to compliment Ballard.  They act as if he just sits around eating popcorn knowing that the exact players he wants 2 weeks from now will be there.

• Like 2

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Embarrassing myself.....lol

You have your opinion and I have mine. We'll see who's looks better moving forward. You do realize that Ballard was rated the best talent evaluator and 6th best GM overall as recently as 2021......doubt you will get your regime change!

Yes, you’ve  stated on more than one occasion he’s the 6th best GM in the league. Hopefully, that translates to a division title, playoff wins soon. The clock is… 

time watch GIF by Chris Kläfford

Year six of the Ballard train. 

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

What’s wrong with that contract for Williams?  He’s definitely a top 10 safety and arguably top 5.  Definitely top 5 in coverage for FS’s.  That contract would’ve been fine. Pair him with Blackmon and our secondary & coverage  would’ve been very stout. Hard pass on Kirk and Gregory at those numbers. Maybe we can still get Mathieu at a similar number…  

Exactly, maybe we can get the honey badger at a lower number with similar or better production? We will have to be patient and see though! Having said that I do agree that Williams would be a good get......still, those price tags are just hard to swallow!

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But a constantly changing plan is not the context people use to compliment Ballard.  They act as if he just sits around eating popcorn knowing that the exact players he wants 2 weeks from now will be there.

And we both know this isn't true.  I heard Ballard hates popcorn.  Saw it on Twitter...

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, when you lose out signing Engram, you start a new plan to find a TE.  There is always a plan.  But that kind of a plan isn't a complement.  

Going into the offseason with virtually no offense under contract is a plan?  I understand that yeah, 2 months ago that may have been the plan when you decide to trade Wentz and let Fisher walk a long walk.

But knowing for 3 to 4 years that AC, TY, and Doyle are getting old....and after you sign a 39 year old QB that you know you will have to replace too, somebody with a more proactive plan would have seen this coming.  He backed himself into a corner that he now needs help/luck to get out of successfully.  JMO. 

Did the Steelers know Ben could retire at any time.    Did the Saints?  Bucs?    Is funny you think you have any clue how a front office does its work.    

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Yes, you’ve  stated on more than one occasion he’s the 6th best GM in the league. Hopefully, that translates to a division title, playoff wins soon. The clock is… 

Until we find a franchise QB those things aren't happening.  Ballard has made some mistakes.  He does need to find a way to get that guy!

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Let's say that tomorrow comes and goes by without any new information on Jimmy G

What approach should Colts take

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

I do like popcorn even if Ballard doesn't!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention he found out he was going to be a father and I think it really hit him he didn’t want his body destroyed from football so he couldn’t do things with his kid.  The one “knock”, if you can really call it that, about Luck when he came out of school was that he didn’t need football.  He was so smart and well rounded he could be just as happy without football.  

That football money made it easier though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

33-15 in first 3 seasons, 3 playoff appearances including 2 Division Titles  plus 3 playoff wins and a AFC Championship Game appearance (deflate gate game). 

All under Luck. And damn near every person in the fan base (and those complaining right now) wanted him run out of town.......hmmmmmm

Remember Luck unexpectedly retired AFTER the draft and free agency in 2019 so Ballard has done what he could to keep us competitive since then! Doubt Grigson would maintain a .500 record under those circumstances ESPECIALLY since he's barely worked in a front office with any type of responsibility since getting fired. He's been a "consultant" and an "advisor" since his departure......

Cleveland Browns (2017)
Senior personnel executive

Seattle Seahawks (2018–2019)
Senior football consultant

Cleveland Browns (2020–2021)
Senior football advisor

Minnesota Vikings (2022–present)
Senior football advisor

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I never took anything personal! LOL  Having said that I see this spending money theme and I equate it to something I do in my personal life as a hobby.

I run three adult softball teams. Two of which compete at a national level which requires travel on weekends to various parts of the country. My team plays for me for the love of the game and while I have sponsors who pick up the tab on a few things, for the most part myself and my guys fund our own travel and our own lodging out-of-pocket. We play against teams that 'buy' their talent by promising to pay for travel and lodging and even some of them get paid per diem for the weekend. We routinely beat most of those teams because "we are built, not bought". So from my perspective you don't need to 'buy' a roster no matter what the sport is. 

I'm sure you can see why I align with Ballard's build a bear type philosophy now.....build thru the draft and spend shrewdly and wisely in FA.....I do the same thing. I built the core of the team with solid recruiting and we add a piece here or there every off-season that fits in with our team concept - and they almost always come from those high priced teams!

now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.......

You left out one key element, the most important element IMHO. 

That element being that under no circumstances, will you ever accept Fried Chicken on a Monday when everybody knows it's been  Meatloaf Monday ever since Moses took a dump... :lol:

I'm standing by my belief that Ballard has on the phone with the Raiders since yesterday.  They're agreeing on the trade for Carr, just working out the trades and new contract amount.

That has to be why they haven't spent any money yet, right?  Seriously Ballard, there is a salary cap floor you know.

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I didn't state it.......smarter NFL than you and I stated it......

But, I am tired of this conversation so let's just agree to disagree and move on - because I know I am!

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did the Steelers know Ben could retire at any time.    Did the Saints?  Bucs?    Is funny you think you have any clue how a front office does its work.    

You act as if you know how one works.

Did they have all 4 of the most important offensive positions all on the same time line?  Or did they have to be concerned with just 1 spot.

Was there at least one successor to our's ever drafted in 5 years?  And PC was an immediate draft for slot need, not a future Z.  That was just a "what if he could do it"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Exactly, maybe we can get the honey badger at a lower number with similar or better production? We will have to be patient and see though! Having said that I do agree that Williams would be a good get......still, those price tags are just hard to swallow!

Yeah. But that would be a key position filled by a young guy with plenty of prime years left.  If we signed Williams (or Mathieu), Armstead, & Winston, we’d be serious contenders for the AFC South crown next year.  I’m fine with drafting receivers but I’d fill that LT, FS, & QB spot with those 3 names and go from there.  

We could probably get Jameis on a 2 year deal worth 20-25m total.  If he falters, he could be our bridge to Stroud, Young, or Haener in next year’s draft. Doesn’t hamstring us with a long, burdensome contract. Plus he’d have familiarity with Armstead. And we’d still have cap room to re-sign our own guys.

• Like 1