Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

say absolutes about Ballard not knowing anything, etc.

I've read about every post in this thread, and I haven't seen anything resembling that..

Absolutes....Not knowing anything.....are pretty extreme positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This forum is doing the same old same old.

GM tells you how he operates.

The way the GM operates isn’t how fans want him to operate so they ignore what he said and set unrealistic expectations anyway.

Free agency starts and GM operates just as he told people he would.

Fans get mad and panic because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

Look i am not saying what Ballard is doing is right.  I am just saying it’s exactly who he has been since the day he was hired and he told people that he didn’t believe in being a big splash free agency spender.  So I get people who are questioning if that’s the right approach but what I don’t get are the people who are mad that he’s being this way because they didn’t think he would be.  Learn who your GM is and how he operates rather than thinking what you want to happen and you’ll be much less surprised with how things play out.  That doesn’t mean you have agree with it just accept that’s what going to happen as long as that person is in charge.

I agree with this and well said. Don’t you think, however, that it’s reasonable to expect CB to alter his philosophy given that his career record is the definition of mediocrity (one game over .500)? I believe CB has a very healthy ego but he can’t be sitting in his office with no LT, no stud WR, no proven edge rush and no QB and thinking “This is going great!” That would be Emperor With No Clothes territory. It’s hard to envision a deep run next season. CB isn’t a young inexperienced GM anymore. That thing about you are what your record says you are is hard to argue. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My sincere apologies.   Did not mean to misquote you.   My bad.   

As to Ballard, we may have already fixed our DE situation.   That was the whole Paye and Dayo thing.   And I expect more from Granson.   And I expect more from Strachan and Fries.   And others whose time has come. 

Where we struck out was with Wentz and a Fisher.   Those are unfortunate.   Very.   I thought they were the right moves at the time.   Football can be hard and unfair and we got screwed twice.   Could they ultimately cost CB and Frank their jobs?  Possibly.   Eventually.   Who knows how patient and understanding Irsay will be?   Anyone’s guess.

Im not posting on my vacation to be a jerk.  I’m posting to urge people to calm down,   Let’s see what Ballard actually does and doesn’t do before we pronounce him guilty.  One day is meaningless, 

Again..,    Sorry about the misquote.   Glad you nailed me.   And you keep doing that if I do it again.   Honestly.      :thmup:

Much appreciated NCF and we are good. :thmup:

You are right that we should wait and see how it all plays out for this off-season. The day one lack of activity looks like more of the same and I think that is what is triggering some of us…making us think of past off seasons that were not as productive as we would have liked when all was said and done. 

I think looking back to last offseason…many fans wanted to see a veteran pass rusher signed because our talent was so young and we let go of several experienced players. Guys like Ngokoue and Reddick signed reasonable deals elsewhere and ended up having very solid seasons.  That’s an example of what we would like to see Ballard do more of. Effectively using free agency to augment the talent on the team and compliment his draft.  I have high hopes for Kwity & Dayo but we know that rookies take time and patience to develop so it wasn’t wise for Ballard to put all eggs in the youth basket at DE. 

As for LT, Ballard played the waiting game last offseason talking about how deep the draft was. Then the draft came and didn’t really fall the Colts way and we took a late round guy…the name escapes me.  Ballard then circles back to the remaining free agent scraps and signs Fisher a player trying to make a come back from injury.  At the time it seemed good because he was a former all pro, familiar name and still available to be signed at the price Ballard felt comfortable with.  But as we know that discount deal didn’t play out well.  

I give Ballard credit for taking a swing on Wentz. It just didn’t work out.  Luck’s retirement has thrown the Ballard build time table off schedule. While that is true it will still only buy him but so much time to correct.  While the QB dilemma is understandable… when he whiffs on Wentz it just sets the team back that much more.   We have a young roster that is good enough to compete now but missing it’s most important piece.  We essentially are a donut of a team.  This is not an excuse but it is a daunting challenge that Ballard will have to find the answer to if the Colts are to be successful in the AFC.  

I realize you already understand all of this. Just trying to show why some fans are feeling the way that we are even after day one.  But yes you are correct in that we should still wait and see how it all actually plays out this offseason.  To be clear… I don’t want Ballard fired nor am I currently advocating for that at this time. I want him to succeed and for the Colts to be successful. I just don’t know if he will adapt to a more balanced approach which many believe is necessary to maximize the talent on the field. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

You're just being obtuse now. People had been praising Ballard for years. In the interest of fairness, it's also fine to criticize him when he deserves it.  I myself try to be nuanced, but you'll always get people who exaggerate on both sides of the argument. 

Because he is actually a pretty good gm. So yes he gets praised. 

The criticism is actually more like chuldish mocking him and his supporters disguised as "criticism".

You are almost always going to overpay in free agency so you might as well overpay for really good players instead of over paying for average players.  We need a WR badly.  Sign Robinson please. Overpay for the top players not some of the recent average players like Ballard has been known to sign.  Build their the draft but plug in high need players from free agency

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, this is where I’m at. I like our GM, think he’s a little rigid on certain philosophies, but I think we’ve got a good one for the most part.

But he’s in a tough position on offense, to have glaring needs at QB, LT, WR, and TE.

Agreed.

I don't really care for the approach they have taken to replace the QB.  I was OK with the Brissett attempt since I figured they saw something promising in him.  It didn't work out.  I wasn't a big Rivers fan since I felt like he was well past his prime.  Wentz - I was OK with it but I really wanted Stafford.

So now we are several years down the road with no real answer in sight.  It's frustrating and to get a franchise guy is going to cost - either draft capital to move up, or draft capital and cash to trade.  The reality is it will be expensive and there is no way around that.

And as you said we still need a good LT, solid WR and TE.  Maybe Granson makes a year 2 jump and maybe Pryor can be our LT at this point.  I wouldn't even mind trying to swap Smith and Pryor to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I agree with this and well said. Don’t you think, however, that it’s reasonable to expect CB to alter his philosophy given that his career record is the definition of mediocrity (one game over .500)? I believe CB has a very healthy ego but he can’t be sitting in his office with no LT, no stud WR, no proven edge rush and no QB and thinking “This is going great!” That would be Emperor With No Clothes territory. It’s hard to envision a deep run next season. CB isn’t a young inexperienced GM anymore. That thing about you are what your record says you are is hard to argue. 

You can want it but it rarely happens.  This is life long beliefs these guys have developed by the time they get these jobs.  Those are very hard to change.

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Because he is actually a pretty good gm. So yes he gets praised. 

The criticism is actually more like chuldish mocking him and his supporters disguised as "criticism".

No, he's arguably a good GM, hence the arguments on both sides. That's a result of him doing some good things and some bad, and from having around a 500. record with the Colts. Not sure what you have to be mad about here. Do you expect a GM with those credentials not to get criticized?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've read about every post in this thread, and I haven't seen anything resembling that..

Absolutes....Not knowing anything.....are pretty extreme positions.

Not in this thread - but those kinds of statements happen.  I should have referred to the silly comments about guys not really wanting to win, which was my etc. to the Ballard statement.  Another statement I saw was something like Ballard never closes the deal.  Never?  That is just not true.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

The fact that Ballard just inquired about trading for Watson and was told no by the Texans tells me we have no plan at QB. If you dont have a QB or a path to get one you have nothing and this signals to me that we dont have a plan. 

It doesn’t tell me that at all.  It’s not really a secret with Rodgers staying in GB and Wilson already being traded that Watson is the best QB available so Ballard could very well be working on someone else but thought I don’t expect the Texans to want to engage in a trade of Watson to Indy but I might as well call and see if I get lucky.  That does two things it takes a chance to see if you can get a better player but it also tells whoever they are working on that they aren’t the only option and is an attempt to create a little leverage for the Colts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Field Yates posted yesterday the team that spent the most in FA increased their wins from anywhere from 3-7.

Field Yates is wrong, going back to 2012 (taken from Spotrac):

Looking at Total Contract Value: 

image.png.ea8b9c7a5c486138255844773f31fa4b.png

And cap hit for that season:

image.png.c54c3a27214918f98e4230c5ba2fe3f1.png

Teams improve, but not a guaranteed 3-7 wins, and some get worse. There's repeat offenders on there that spent heavy over consecutive seasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

No, he's arguably a good GM, hence the arguments on both sides. That's a result of him doing some good things and some bad, and from having around a 500. record with the Colts. Not sure what you have to be mad about here. Do you expect a GM with those credentials not to get criticized?

Well there arent many people qualified to judge him that think the way you do about him, so I take your opinion with a grain of salt. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It doesn’t tell me that at all.  It’s not really a secret with Rodgers staying in GB and Wilson already being traded that Watson is the best QB available so Ballard could very well be working on someone else but thought I don’t expect the Texans to want to engage in a trade of Watson to Indy but I might as well call and see if I get lucky.  That does two things it takes a chance to see if you can get a better player but it also tells whoever they are working on that they aren’t the only option and is an attempt to create a little leverage for the Colts.

Let's just say Ballards plan is to sign Mariotta and Mariotta's team sees Ballard trying to get Watson. Do you think it'd make sense for Mariotta to start looking elsewhere too or is it only fair for the Colts to have a prom date and still ask others girls if they want to go to prom with them?

Sam Ehlinger 2022 MVP  

he's gonna do it throwing to michael pittman and patmon... and strong man Mike. We trade all 3 of our first picks next year to the jaguars for agnew. We don't play agnew the whole year just in case someone wants to trade us a 5th rounder. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Let's just say Ballards plan is to sign Mariotta and Mariotta's team sees Ballard trying to get Watson. Do you think it'd make sense for Mariotta to start looking elsewhere too or is it only fair for the Colts to have a prom date and still ask others girls if they want to go to prom with them?

if Mariota believes in his own talent then he should want to go to the best situation, not the highest dollar. If he balls out there's no way they move on from him,. 

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Well there arent many people qualified to judge him that think the way you do about him, so I take your opinion with a grain of salt. 

Lol, why are you making out as if I'm ripping him? I'm not. I try to criticize him fairly. Meanwhile, you're the one taking every criticism of him extremely literally. This is getting boring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

It would make sense for Ballard and Mariota to both look at all options available to them.  This is a business with millions of dollars changing hands, not a prom.

For those of you poo pooing on everything Ballard right now, let me throw this at you!

The genius of Ballard.....

We all know that MOST GM's would never trade a player to a division rival, especially one of Watson's prowess.

But Ballard reached out to the Watson camp and the Texans to ask for a chance to meet with Watson.

The TEXANS said no per all the reports, not Watson's camp.

Why is this genius you wonder? Watson is the one with the no-trade clause in his contract, not the Texans. If he does his meetings with the other teams and is not interested in what they are selling him - Watson himself can force the Texans to trade him to the Colts if they want any compensation back for him.....

Even though Ballard knew the answer would be no initially, Watson knows there is interest. What competitor wouldn't want the opportunity to kick the butt of the team that gave up on them - twice a year!

Food for thought while you all are bashing him for the "same old, same old" crap!

I think now might be a good time to catch a breath.

I've been noticing a lot of posts and responses that are headed the way of potentially getting over heated. I for one am recently guilty of this today towards @GoatBeard and possibly @Scott Pennock I would personally like to take this moment to apologize. FOR NOTHING!! Pound sand!! :funny:

No in all seriousness, I do apologize as I realize that your point of view is just how you feel and with that, I might add this:

**I'm totally guessing here but I think sometimes on here the older guys/girls have different takes than the younger ones. Not in every situation but sometimes when you get older, and things were a certain way for a while you're happy just to be relevant and I think this perception bleeds over into this team. I only mention this based on most of the points of view from that way of thinking.

Too much money

We are just spoiled

We should be grateful to have had Manning and luck

Ballard is making sure this team is in the hunt year after year without overextending the franchise

If we do "X", we can make the playoffs

I could go on and on

Truthfully, I kind of agreed with some of that for a longtime, but then I realized something. The NFL is changing and changing fast. It's actually happening in every facet of our world. Impatience I believe is the word. This isn't about doing "X" anymore just to make the playoffs. This is about doing "more than X" to win it all.

To sum it up. For all of you who are still having a hard time breaking away from that old mantra remember this:

Those of us who are getting really sick of that old mantra are not trying to break away completely or even have anyone still holding on to that way of team building to break completely away either. We are really trying to get a meeting in the middle, just to see if it actually works. We see evidence from other teams good and bad, but with us it's the same old stuff, i.e., the title of this thread and it really isn't working. It seems close sometimes, but there is a disconnect somewhere and it's NOT just about the QB

Hopefully those of you who do not like some of our criticisms can understand that and see it from our view. We have seen it from yours going on 6 years now, you don't have to keep pounding you're point. We have heard it, we have lived it. You could say the same thing to us about pounding our point, however where you hearing it might be comparable to us hearing yours, you haven't lived our point of view. None of us have. We would just like to have a chance to live it for comparison sake. Ballard has yet to allow that to happen. that's why we are growing more unsettled. 

Anyway, regardless of what happens we should not really be infighting. Healthy banter is good, being cruddy is not as we are ALL Colts fans

Again, sorry I got a little snippy/cruddy @GoatBeard and @Scott Pennock and whoever else. You be you my friends. -Peace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It would make sense for Ballard and Mariota to both look at all options available to them.  This is a business with millions of dollars changing hands, not a prom.

Its odd that no rumors at all are around MM.  He could already have a deal done with the Colts, with both parties being tight lipped about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Les Poulains said:

Lol, why are you making out as if I'm ripping him? I'm not. I try to criticize him fairly. Meanwhile, you're the one taking every criticism of him extremely literally. 

I didnt.

I merely said I put more value on what experienced people think about him than what a random fan I dont know from 3rd base on an anonymous message board thinks about him.

He is highly respected in his field. If we fired him he would be snatched up in about 5 m9nutes and that is enough for me.

A lot of people have criticism but none of those people have any real solutions. 

What do you want me to say here?

Its easy to be critical. Very easy.

You know Tom Bradys recent show "The Man in the Arena".....well thats actually based on a great quote by Teddy Roosevelt, and directed at people like these people trashing Chris Ballard.

All these armchair critics who think they have the worlds issues figured out, whether its politics or disease management or NFL GMs.....need to read it about 20 times in a row and take it to heart. Seriously. The world would be a much, much, much better place if they did.

10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Who says they aren’t already looking else where?  That’s how free agency works very rarely do they only talk to one team.

Its like buying a used car.  The salesman (or in this case the agent) is always going to tell you someone else is about to buy the car you are looking at even if they aren’t.  

52 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You lost me at 7 Pro Bowlers. 

Kelley and Moore :facepalm:

And the team couldn’t make the playoffs with 7 Pro Bowlers. 

So what......teams are led by their QB's and that problem has been removed.

How are the wheels falling off with 7 pro bowlers on the current roster?

"The NFL announced Pro Bowlers for each team on Wednesday evening, and seven Colts players have earned a spot. Those players are running back Jonathan Taylor, linebacker Darius Leonard, cornerback Kenny Moore II, left guard Quenton Nelson, defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, center Ryan Kelly and long snapper Luke Rhodes." ~ Stampede Blue, December 23rd, 2021

7 minutes ago, gspdx said:

That's exactly my point. If Ballard really wants Watson - then go get him. If that's your plan, then do it. If he said we'll give you 15 first round picks, Nelson, Leonard and Buckner then Watson would be a Colt. (I realize thats insane comp but you get the point).

If Mariota is your plan - then go get him. Do it. If you need to pay $2mil more per year than do it. 

Having an iron in every fire is not a plan. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Indeee said:

To answer your question bolded YES. Guys like you use this same line EVERY OFFSEASON and yet every offseason we have the same results. Why not try something different and by different, I mean SPEND SOME CASH!! Who cares if we miss and give a player more money than you believe him to be worth. The production might ease that initial reaction, but guess what we will never know, because under this GM he NEVER spends cash.

Let's keep this about Ballard and how he assesses the players worth. He spends cash on free agents, just not the free agents the fans, including you, want. Every year he does it, it's just not the NFL Network Free Agent Frenzy worthy type of signing where teams win the off-season but struggle to win in season! 

I'll take Ballard's approach over 99% of the other GM's that throw cash against the wall then find themselves in cap hell a couple years later and fired.....

Nothing you say will sway me from that opinion! So, let us just agree to disagree!

We have to be consistent. If Grigson doesn't get points for trying and intent, neither should Ballard. 

It is a bottom line business and the ones who close the deal to get the talent on the squad end up being recognized more than the ones who wished and intended, at the end. Again, I am not mad after Day 2 that some holes have not been filled but would be disappointed after Week 2 if not enough has been done. I want the Colts to win just as much as the next man on this forum. We have the talent to be a fringe playoff team, time to take us to at least a division contender and I don't think that is too much to ask as a fan that wants his team to win.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Fair point.

Didn’t they decide to stop testing for weed? If so, that’s better for him.

I don't know, but if I'm trying to build for a Super Bowl I would prefer to keep my potential losses due to injury and not an NFL decision.....

Just my semi-conservative nature I guess?

14 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

That's exactly my point. If Ballard really wants Watson - then go get him. If that's your plan, then do it. If he said we'll give you 15 first round picks, Nelson, Leonard and Buckner then Watson would be a Colt. (I realize thats insane comp but you get the point).

If Mariota is your plan - then go get him. Do it. If you need to pay $2mil more per year than do it. 

That is my basic point also.  Why is it important to save a few million dollars if the guy you want is available?   Watson is unrealistic.  Who is a better option at this point than MM or JG?.  Is there a reason to NOT have a deal done now?   Is he haggling with SF over a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

There are many who would say to relax, because they KNOW Ballard has a plan.  That the silence is going exactly to plan.  No, they don't know, and, he may be having to change plans daily, because he's continually a step late and a dollar short.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So what......teams are led by their QB's and that problem has been removed.

How are the wheels falling off with 7 pro bowlers on the current roster?

"The NFL announced Pro Bowlers for each team on Wednesday evening, and seven Colts players have earned a spot. Those players are running back Jonathan Taylor, linebacker Darius Leonard, cornerback Kenny Moore II, left guard Quenton Nelson, defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, center Ryan Kelly and long snapper Luke Rhodes." ~ Stampede Blue, December 23rd, 2021

We get it, you love Ballard. I’m fine with that. 

However, your embarrassing yourself with the Pro Bowl stuff. 

I see two or three All Pro, currently on the Colts roster.  Not enough to make the playoffs. A roster with to many holes after five years. 

2022 doesn’t look good IMO and I’d like to see a regime change. If, that makes you mad, so be it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Scott, you are a well informed poster. I like your stances on many things, but using the pro bowl (popularity contest) as any real metric to assess the talent level of a team leads to a weak argument. You have to know this, right?

Ask yourself if it's just coincidence that the team featured on the first ever "In Season Hard Knocks" has the most amount of pro bowlers, which relies partially on fan voting.

Would you deny that those players are worthy of a pro bowl selection? Ryan Kelly was more than likely sympathy but lets not act like when he is in the lineup he's been pretty darn good.

As far as the metric, yes, to claim the wheels are falling off of the team simply because of the three same spots that EVERY NFL team always struggles to fill is just as outlandish. So I spoke fire to fire in that regard. 

Aside from the fact that most of these same complainers wanted Wentz gone and now that he is OMG the world is imploding.....what did they expect after shipping Wentz off? Ballard is pretty calculated so did people really think he would trade Wentz just to trade him? There is a plan we just don't know it yet and THAT is why folks are up in arms. No patience whatsoever....

Having said that, thank you for the kudos Flash! I enjoy reading your commentary as well!

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That is my basic point.  Why is it important to save a few million dollars if the guy you want is available?   Watson is unrealistic.  Who is a better option at this point than MM or JG?.  Is there a reason to NOT have a deal done now?   Is he haggling with SF over a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

There are many who would say to relax, because they KNOW Ballard has a plan.  That the silence is going exactly to plan.  No, they don't know, and, he may be having to change plans daily.

I laugh at people who always think Ballard has a super secret plan. He doesn’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Grigsons record 49-31

Ballards. Record. 41-40

And Grigson had Luck.....Luck retired on Ballard and most GM's wouldn't have a 41-40 record after losing their Franchise QB unexpectedly AFTER the draft and Free Agency had passed for that season!

Try again....

14 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  I think he needs to leave no stone unturned to find a QB.  Difference in philosophy or approach.

19 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I didnt.

I merely said I put more value on what experienced people think about him than what a random fan I dont know from 3rd base on an anonymous message board thinks about him.

He is highly respected in his field. If we fired him he would be snatched up in about 5 m9nutes and that is enough for me.

A lot of people have criticism but none of those people have any real solutions. 

What do you want me to say here?

Its easy to be critical. Very easy.

You know Tom Bradys recent show "The Man in the Arena".....well thats actually based on a great quote by Teddy Roosevelt, and directed at people like these people trashing Chris Ballard.

All these armchair critics who think they have the worlds issues figured out, whether its politics or disease management or NFL GMs.....need to read it about 20 times in a row and take it to heart. Seriously. The world would be a much, much, much better place if they did.

That's a noble way of saying you have no opinion and go with the general consensus of what journos, who have a bias toward to organization, by the way, will tell you. Or his peers, who are also biased. Congrats, I guess. 

It's pretty simple; I look at his inactivity in improving the secondary and the receiving group, and his failure thus far at left tackle and pass rush and then I point out that those things aren't good.

This isn't rocket science. It's not even really armchair criticism, it's pointing out the blatantly obvious. If you're offended by that or that kind of criticism, I don't know what to tell you. If he's a "good" GM, he might be successful in doing this eventually. And maybe he'll do something at the QB position, while we're at it. Here's hoping, eh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That is my basic point.  Why is it important to save a few million dollars if the guy you want is available?   Watson is unrealistic.  Who is a better option at this point than MM or JG?.  Is there a reason to NOT have a deal done now?   Is he haggling with SF over a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

There are many who would say to relax, because they KNOW Ballard has a plan.  That the silence is going exactly to plan.  No, they don't know, and, he may be having to change plans daily.

What's more likely?

A. Ballard and the Colts brass have no plan

Or. 

B.   Things are happening behind closed doors and they are working their plan. 

Obviously there is a plan.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

And Grigson had Luck.....Luck retired on Ballard and most GM's wouldn't have a 41-40 record after losing their Franchise QB unexpectedly AFTER the draft and Free Agency had passed for that season!

Try again....

Luck retired on Ballards watch isn't exactly a positive thing to add to your resume.