Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

I don't think Jimmy G is going to end up being the selection because you have to give up draft capital and pay the salary for somebody that produces like Carson Wentz or worse.  And if that's what you're getting then Mariota is the better choice. 

Outside of that you have Jameis Winston who id have no problem getting.  He's a FA so no draft capital will be involved with that.

So my choice is either Mariota or Jameis Winston

• Like 1

I do agree that the early stages of free agency is where GMs go to overspend and not get their money's worth in return. Sometimes the big splash signing pays off, but often, it doesn't.  And it hamstrings your team with cap space issues. Ballard is smart by sitting out this crazy period. There is plenty of value still available.

However, we saw that Ballard did not do enough for the D-Line last year. We all saw it as plain as day. He let Autry get away and Houston walk and tried to replace them with rookies, lesser D Line talent like Rochelle and it weakened that position group. The team greatly suffered for it.

He also made the O-line weaker by electing to sign Tevi (who we all knew would not do well) and his big splash signing was an injured Fisher.  It was no surprise that Fisher struggled coming off of that injury.

Ballard is shrewd for staying away from the early stages of FA; however, he also struggles in FA as a whole. FA is just not Ballard's thing. We as Colts fans have seen this over the past 5 seasons, so I don't worry about this period. I don't have much expectations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't think Jimmy G is going to end up being the selection because you have to give up draft capital and pay the salary for 

somebody that produces like Carson Wentz or worse.  And if that's what you're getting then Mariota is the better choice. 

Outside of that you have Jameis Winston who id have no problem getting.  He's a FA so no draft capital will be involved with that.

Exactly. Totally agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'm betting within the next few days we pick up players. A wide receiver.... A left tackle.... A quarterback.... I'm sure things will look better here in about a week. Keep yer chin up!

Only tackle worth anything is armstead. Looks like bears are Interested in him and Fisher. WR that are worth anything are down  to  just a few.  It’s really sad a guy like Chark would go to lions on a one year deal. But at least they have a QB.

54 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Ultimately, all of this can be traced back to when Irsay hired Ryan Grigson.  If the team would have been built in the trenches, then Luck would still be playing.  In fact, if you replace 2012 Grigson with 2017 Ballard, then I believe we would have been a perennial threat.  Ballard has several solid players on O and D, but had solid QB play in only 2 of his 5 seasons here...and guess what...we made the playoffs both years.

I get that Jim Irsay is upset with the direction of his franchise.  However, he made his bed 10 years ago, now he has to lie in it.

It can't be Grigson's fault 6 years after he was fired.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't think Jimmy G is going to end up being the selection because you have to give up draft capital and pay the salary for somebody that produces like Carson Wentz or worse.  And if that's what you're getting then Mariota is the better choice. 

And Jimmy isn't going to throw until mid summer.  I've been holding back on Ballard, but if we sign JG...

Wasn't Ballard the one complaining about not having a QB until the season started last season?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This idea that Jimmy G is just going to be cut is a pipe dream. No way Lynch does that lmao . Dude is a good QB that wins a lot. He is going to want a 2nd or maybe a 3rd and 4th.

We'll see. They can hang onto the asset and pay him. Or they can let him go. They're caught between a rock and a hard place. 

Ballard is playing that one 100% right. You dont go all in on a QB of that level. If he's available for dirt cheap, you do it. Otherwise, let them have their QB and figure out how to pay for him while keeping him and their young ace QB happy. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Only tackle worth anything is armstead. Looks like bears are Interested in him and Fisher. WR that are worth anything are down  to  just a few.  It’s really sad a guy like Chark would go to lions on a one year deal. But at least they have a QB.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Still quite a few quality wide receivers out there. The Lions may have a quarterback but he's nothing to brag about.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I do agree that the early stages of free agency is where GMs go to overspend and not get their money's worth in return. Sometimes the big splash signing pays off, but often, it doesn't.  And it hamstrings your team with cap space issues. Ballard is smart by sitting out this crazy period. There is plenty of value still available.

However, we saw that Ballard did not do enough for the D-Line last year. We all saw it as plain as day. He let Autry get away and Houston walk and tried to replace them with rookies, lesser D Line talent like Rochelle and it weakened that position group. The team greatly suffered for it.

He also made the O-line weaker by electing to sign Tevi (who we all knew would not do well) and his big splash signing was an injured Fisher.  It was no surprise that Fisher struggled coming off of that injury.

Ballard is shrewd for staying away from the early stages of FA; however, he also struggles in FA as a whole. FA is just not Ballard's thing. We as Colts fans have seen this over the past 5 seasons, so I don't worry about this period. I don't have much expectations.

Was Autry a free agent signing?

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'm betting within the next few days we pick up players. A wide receiver.... A left tackle.... A quarterback.... I'm sure things will look better here in about a week. Keep yer chin up!

Just asking.  Do you think that is a winning strategy?  To rely upon getting a WR, QB, and LT in the second wave of free agency in any random year?  What do you save the draft for, to select Gs , ILBs, Xs, and RBs with high capital.

I'm asking, do you think that is a winning/planned strategy, or does it seem like a guy who might be outmatched and has to play catch-up?

• Like 2

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Was Autry a free agent signing?

Yes. He was a rotational player that came in and proved himself, earning a payday. Good for him. He should have bee re-signed.

Rochelle was a free agent signing too.

Just now, Smonroe said:

And Jimmy isn't going to throw until mid summer.  I've been holding back on Ballard, but if we sign JG...

Wasn't Ballard the one complaining about not having a QB until the season started last season?

I think so and quite honestly I don't think Jimmy will ever be more than a game manager type.

I think that's his ceiling.  All in all I wouldn't spend draft capital on that when honestly all 3 of these

QBs are in the same realm only yards away from each other in different respects.  Winston has the most

ability to be big time out of the 3. 

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Just asking.  Do you think that it a winning strategy?  To rely upon getting a WR, QB, and LT in the second wave of free agency in any random year?  What do you save the draft fort, select Gs , ILBs, Xs, and RBs with high capital.

I'm asking, do you think that is a winning strategy, or does it seem like a guy who might be outmatched and has to play catch-up?

Heck we are still in the first wave. I think we will pick up some players here in the next few days. And no I don't think it's a winning strategy to get all your players from the second tier. That's A big reason we're in the boat we are in now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

We'll see. They can hang onto the asset and pay him. Or they can let him go. They're caught between a rock and a hard place. 

Ballard is playing that one 100% right. You dont go all in on a QB of that level. If he's available for dirt cheap, you do it. Otherwise, let them have their QB and figure out how to pay for him while keeping him and their young ace QB happy. 

The thing is there are probably other teams that are offering Lynch a 2nd for him. If Ballard just sits there and does nothing then he is off the board. I don't see Carr being traded so that leaves Winston. Otherwise we are stuck with a QB that is worse than Carson unless we get Ryan.

Does anyone actually have the data?

Many see free agency as a way to waste money by overspending on the high profile FAs.  Others see it as the path to build a Super Bowl contender.  The truth lies somewhere in there.

Looking at the last 10 Super Bowl winners - other than QB - how many of those teams made a high profile, expensive FA acquisition the year they won?  Maybe look for FAs that were a top 10 contract for that year.  Let's see where they land.  

Last 10 Super Bowl winners

• Rams - Stafford
  • Buccaneers - Brady
  • Chiefs
  • Pats
  • Eagles
  • Pats
  • Denver - Manning, the year before
  • Pats
  • Seahawks
  • Ravens

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing is there are probably other teams that are offering Lynch a 2nd for him. If Ballard just sits there and does nothing then he is off the board. I don't see Carr being traded so that leaves Winston. Otherwise we are stuck with a QB that is worse than Carson unless we get Ryan.

I tend to agree, if JG is the Qb he wants.  Why is Ballard smart to haggle over a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick?  Why isn't it smarter to go get JG for a second and next year's 3rd, if that's who he wants?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It can't Grigson's fault that they aren't a very good team 6 years after he was fired.  

True. We cannot cry over spilled milk. I do think Irsay screwed the pooch hiring Grigson. When he hired Polian, he got someone with a great pedigree. There were plenty of experienced candidates to choose from then and just like we trusted Polian with Manning, we could have trusted an experienced GM with Luck and things would probably have been different, IMO. IFs and BUTs, ya I know. We probably wouldn't be having a QB carousel.

Luck has now become the poster child for what not to do when you have a talented young QB like that and the Bengals signed 2 for their OL day 1 of free agency. Year 1 - Burrow on IR, Year 2 - most sacked QB and Mr. Brown gave clear directions to his GM. 

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Does anyone actually have the data?

Many see free agency as a way to waste money by overspending on the high profile FAs.  Others see it as the path to build a Super Bowl contender.  The truth lies somewhere in there.

Looking at the last 10 Super Bowl winners - other than QB - how many of those teams made a high profile, expensive FA acquisition the year they won?  Maybe look for FAs that were a top 10 contract for that year.  Let's see where they land.  

Last 10 Super Bowl winners

• Rams - Stafford
  • Buccaneers - Brady
  • Chiefs
  • Pats
  • Eagles
  • Pats
  • Denver - Manning, the year before
  • Pats
  • Seahawks
  • Ravens

Field Yates posted yesterday the team that spent the most in FA increased their wins from anywhere from 3-7.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just asking.  Do you think that is a winning strategy?  To rely upon getting a WR, QB, and LT in the second wave of free agency in any random year?  What do you save the draft for, to select Gs , ILBs, Xs, and RBs with high capital.

I'm asking, do you think that is a winning/planned strategy, or does it seem like a guy who might be outmatched and has to play catch-up?

Free agency hasn't even officially started.   My goodness.    

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Free agency hasn't even officially started.   My goodness.    

Doesn't matter.  He's going to have to rely on this free agency to fill a lot of holes in important starting positions...or a lot of rookies.    Most other teams have less money because they have fewer holes.

Just asking what evidence suggests that a GM who went 9-8 last year, two playoff appearances, and is still left with a team with huge holes in its roster evidence that he is in the top 10 of smart GMs?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Yes. He was a rotational player that came in and proved himself, earning a payday. Good for him. He should have bee re-signed.

Rochelle was a free agent signing too.

Autry was a FA and Ballard ID'd him, so the point about Ballard not doing well in FA doesnt necessarily hold. He brought in Tevi but also brought in Pryor right?

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. We cannot cry over spilled milk. I do think Irsay screwed the pooch hiring Grigson. When he hired Polian, he got someone with a great pedigree. There were plenty of experienced candidates to choose from then and just like we trusted Polian with Manning, we could have trusted an experienced GM with Luck and things would probably have been different, IMO. IFs and BUTs, ya I know. We probably wouldn't be having a QB carousel.

Luck has now become the poster child for what not to do when you have a talented young QB like that and the Bengals signed 2 for their OL day 1 of free agency. Year 1 - Burrow on IR, Year 2 - most sacked QB and Mr. Brown gave clear directions to his GM. 

FYI, Mike Brown, the Bengals owner, is also the GM, so he makes those decisions on his own. Just to clarify

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

Ok, outside free agents aside, can someone explain to me why we haven’t resigned Chris Reed and Matt Pryor yet? We finally found quality OL depth and we haven’t locked them up?

Valid question.  A bit early.  More germaine after more time passes, but still a valid question since he could have already "signed" them.  Maybe today. 

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Valid question.  A bit early.  More germaine after more time passes, but still a valid question since he could have already "signed" them.  Maybe today. 

I know FA hasn’t officially started, but those guys need to be locked up. Weird that we didn’t do that immediately

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Well, if the waiter tells you that the table next to you just got the last piece of prime rib, I can see why someone might be a bit disappointed.

And if your second and third choices also ran out, you might be skeptical about what you were going to get.

That last piece of prime rib is usually over-done.

If Ballard sits on his hands too long and misses out on say a Jameis Winston or Mariota, or both pass rushers in Z'Darius Smith and Chandler Jones, he will start hearing it more and more from fans on his lack of free agent activity. This team MUST get better in the pass rush department, and MUST find a competent bridge QB for 2022 until they find their longterm franchise QB, most likely in the 2023 draft.

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

If Ballard sits on his hands too long and misses out on say a Jameis Winston or Mariota, or both pass rushers in Z'Darius Smith and Chandler Jones, he will start hearing it more and more from fans on his lack of free agent activity. This team MUST get better in the pass rush department, and MUST find a competent bridge QB for 2022 until they find their longterm franchise QB, most likely in the 2023 draft.

If we don't get Winston or Jimmy G we are screwed. Mariota doesn't cut the mustard IMO.

Just now, BProland85 said:

I am not even that worried about defense. Just add a vet on the line and sign Turay and Lewis back. Offense is where it’s really bad.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It can't be Grigson's fault 6 years after he was fired.  

Yeah, Grigson has his own sins and will carry his own cross. I can understand being lenient toward new management for a year or two after taking on the team that was in shambles and totally devoid of talent, but we are way past the time Ballard can use Grigson or Luck's retirement as excuses for the situation his team is in.  

Just now, indyagent17 said:

I really think that is Ballard doesnt make this team better he could be on the hotseat this season. We just cant go on for more years of this

He has to be and I agree. Everybody focused on the QB. FORGET the QB right now, we need WRs, TE, LT, Edge Rush, and CB. This * (Ballard) doesn't know this? Oh my bad, we resigned Cox and CB Troy Brown. That takes care of it. 

JC Jackson should have been a Colt. We need at least one premier corner on this team, not some washed up vet who might have 2 good years left of mediocre to above average play. You have to pay top tier talent, it's that simple. 

This team will not legitimately compete for SUPER BOWLS as long as Ballard is the GM. We just won't, not unless he does a 180 fast

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Field Yates posted yesterday the team that spent the most in FA increased their wins from anywhere from 3-7.

I want to exclude QBs.  And I want to see where the high priced FAs landed in comparison to the team at least reaching the Super Bowl.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Other teams? Like who? Doesnt even really matter, they all know what position the Niners are in.

You dont bend backwards for a QB who's tier 2 or 3, you just don't.

Better or worse than Carson doesnt really matter. This year is a transition year no matter how we spin it, if we pay a high price for an average or slightly good QB, we'll have dug a deeper hole than we are already in. Go cheap or stay out of it. If it's average to slightly good you want then go to the draft, or FA. I'd rather get Jameis in FA than pay a substantial pick for Jimmy G, he just isnt the guy to lift his teammates, we've seen it over time. Folks, there's a reason San Fran mortgaged their future to get Trey Lance. When these teams make these moves, we need to learn and understand the why's instead of rushing in headlong and expecting that we can do things better than them, did we not learn from Wentz? Jimmy G is an average to slightly good QB. If we got him for anything more than that WA 3rd, i think we'd have paid far too much considering the circumstances....and yes i know what Washington gave us for Wentz, and etc etc but it's all about leverage and understanding who you are and what your needs are, and what assets are worth.

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

That last piece of prime rib is usually over-done.

Tell them to put it on a French roll, melt some provolone (or swiss if you prefer) and give me a bowl of that au jus haha

But seriously, overcooked prime rib is such a huge letdown.