Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts considering Marcus Mariota at QB

20 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

CBS reports: Colts looking at Mariota. That would be my choice. No draft picks, and not too much money, and next year plenty of draft capital if we want to move up.

Not a surprise.

We put ourselves in a box by being intent on dumping Wentz, no matter what.  The only trade that might be within reach is JG.  We wouldn’t be the only suitors.  And he’ll be coming off a meaningful surgery, to boot.

So the likeliest replacements were always going to be the FAs: Mariota, Trubisky, or Winston.  Probably short-term, with a plan to target a QB in the ‘23 draft.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think I'd have the same reaction of "meh" whether it's Mariota, Trubisky or Winston. If we pick up any one of those guys that tells me we're drafting a quarterback as well.

With other positions needing attention and this being a down year for QBs, I hope you’re wrong.

We’ve drafted 2 later round QBs in recent drafts.  One is already gone and the other is an afterthought at this point.  So draft one this year at 42 and hope to catch an inside straight?

That doesn’t sound like a plan, it sounds like grasping at straws.  We need to use those picks for other needed positions.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

With other positions needing attention and this being a down year for QBs, I hope you’re wrong.

We’ve drafted 2 later round QBs in recent drafts.  One is already gone and the other is an afterthought at this point.  So draft one this year at 42 and hope to catch an inside straight?

That doesn’t sound like a plan, it sounds like grasping at straws.  We need to use those picks for other needed positions.

If we draft a QB I could see the colts trading into the end of the first round to get one.

Not exciting, but i remember him having moments against us.

If used properly, similar  to how we tried to use Wentz, i think he couldbe serviceable.  Youcould also argue his game is similar to Sam.

He has athletic ability and escapability.  
  Not exciting, but i view anyone available as short-term.  
  Not sure how i feel,but i see the angle.

15 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Not a surprise.

We put ourselves in a box by being intent on dumping Wentz, no matter what.  The only trade that might be within reach is JG.  We wouldn’t be the only suitors.  And he’ll be coming off a meaningful surgery, to boot.

So the likeliest replacements were always going to be the FAs: Mariota, Trubisky, or Winston.  Probably short-term, with a plan to target a QB in the ‘23 draft.

Unless a surprise trade or something (unlikely), this looks like the most probable outcome.

Has anyone looked at who will be FA QB next off-season?

I've been thinking he's the best choice for a while. I thought he looked pretty good against us. I like that he can move around pretty well. I'd rather not waste a high draft choice unless Ballard really thinks he can be the guy. Just wait another year.

Think it is down to him or trading a 6 or 7 for Minshew.......we have James Morgan as a 2a and Sam as a 2b...funny thing is when we drafted Eason Morgan was our other option and went shortly after (122 vs 125) And both have huge arms and cant read defenses though Morgan by most reports ahead of Jacob in improving in that area.

Mariota is injury prone but has higher ceiling. Gardner is just an over achiever who grinds it out and inspires teammates.  We would likely make the playoffs with either as long as O line produces and Taylor stays health......

I was unaware that he had nerve damage in his throwing arm.  However, nerves take a long time to recover, so maybe its something that has gotten back to normal over a few seasons of rest.

I would think that Ballard would be all over the medicals, but we know that he is not shy about using decent capital to add players with significant injury recovery. 

10 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Agree. And why draft a sub-optimal quarterback/developmental guy this year when you'll be much better positioned to put together a deal next year, when there are better options? I understand people want action NOW, but sometimes you have to accept reality, and play the hand you're dealt. Unless they can get Carr at the right price (highly doubtful), this just isn't the year.

If Mariota is the guy with the eye on next year's draft for a qb, then this had to be strictly a salary cap thing by trading Wentz and dumping his contract. There is no way that MM is an upgrade over Wentz and the "all chips in" thing was just total nonsense. Not that I ever put much stock in what Irsay said, but saying MM is a upgrade is laughable. 

13 hours ago, Shive said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/quarterback/

I wouldn't expect a lot of the top QB's to be available

The demand for top QBs -- which I would define as top 7 or 8 (we know the current names) -- has always outstripped the supply.  But the chances of a team winning a SB without one are remote.

How many "top" QBs can you name that moved teams via free agency -- especially after they'd already been considered a top QB?  Tom Brady did.  Peyton did, too -- but that was a unique circumstance.  In both of those cases, they were winding down their careers -- yet also won SBs with their new teams.

Other than those two?

Most of them spend most of their careers with the teams that draft them.  But, unfortunately, the batting average for drafted QBs is not great.  The list of highly drafted QBs who never became "top" is long.

As far as trades go, as seen by Stafford and now Wilson (and probably Watson here soon), the cost to acquire a surefire guy via trade is smothering.

Pipe dream is talking to Watson, blowing him away in the meeting, and him saying he'll only wave the no trade for Indy....  This getting him for the best deal possible, and trust me, that'll still be exorbitant, even with value minimized....  You'd have to sell him on the D, the chance to play Houston twice a year, and the unique fact that you could offer him more input into who he wants to play with on offense (tons of capspace to get some people "he" wants.....  

You'd have to get creative with a proposal like that, give him a direct voice to the GM/HC, and some skin in that type game....that's exactly what ticked him off in Houston....so play to it, sell him on the ability to put his "vision" into play alongside yours.... 

Tldr..... Watson ain't happening...lol.

1 hour ago, RevoltingBlob said:

If Mariota is the guy with the eye on next year's draft for a qb, then this had to be strictly a salary cap thing by trading Wentz and dumping his contract. There is no way that MM is an upgrade over Wentz and the "all chips in" thing was just total nonsense. Not that I ever put much stock in what Irsay said, but saying MM is a upgrade is laughable. 

No one EVER said "all chips in" meant anything more than buying in And committing....on the part of players who got flaky as hell last year....Wentz was aloof as usual, and the players talked their way out of darn near all off-season work.... That's what ticked Irsay off enough to make that rant.

They canned Wentz because of attitude, and lack of leadership ability....not because they demanded more Free agents....or demanded a skill upgrade at QB.  That's just what some of you wanted to hear, so you did.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Agreed, I’d rather have Curtis Painter

I guess I'm in the minority. I'd really like Mariota. He is currently my #1 choice of available QBs (with Winston close or trade for Carr).

I don't believe Jimmy G brings much more than Mariota and you will have to give up multiple picks, probably about what Commanders gave us... Hard no thanks.

Mariota is a smart guy who has talent. And by all accounts people like him. I can see him being the Tannehill of our offense (we would have killed for Tannehill last year).

I have no doubt, barring injury, Mariota is a large upgrade to Wentz.

Sign Mariota and, hopefully, a QB you like can be had in the draft.

7 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I guess I'm in the minority. I'd really like Mariota. He is currently my #1 choice of available QBs (with Winston close or trade for Carr).

I don't believe Jimmy G brings much more than Mariota and you will have to give up multiple picks, probably about what Commanders gave us... Hard no thanks.

Mariota is a smart guy who has talent. And by all accounts people like him. I can see him being the Tannehill of our offense (we would have killed for Tannehill last year).

I have no doubt, barring injury, Mariota is a large upgrade to Wentz.

Sign Mariota and, hopefully, a QB you like can be had in the draft.

I love marriota have wanted him for a while now ... he does what we need , he’s accurate and don’t turn the ball over he fits great with this team and can be had for pennies in the dollar compared to others 

I would be OK with Mariota. He has talent, and could work out for Indy. 

It's frustrating seeing other agents signing and going places, yet the Colts don't have a QB.  Maybe talks are taking longer than expected, but I'm starting to get impatient. Free agency isn't over, so I guess I just to wait  another day or so. 

18 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

CBS reports: Colts looking at Mariota. That would be my choice. No draft picks, and not too much money, and next year plenty of draft capital if we want to move up.

I would prefer Jameis Winston but the problem we are all aware of is that this is a small, brackish pool of available qb's in the FA market.  Option A, B, or C don't seem great but here we are. I wholeheartedly agree, under no circumstances should draft capital be given up unless DeShaun Watson is available(and he won't be available to the Colts.

I think Mariota will surprise a lot of people.  He's been a back-up with LV, but when they put him in a limited role on pass option, etc...he's productive, and besides, he's gain some experience from the bench and learning a lot. And he's only 28....Go get him Ballard...

41 minutes ago, craigerb said:

pff_mock_first.jpeg.0311a825a48098fbecc8aed82c935f91.jpeg

pff doesn't like Strong QB as our first pick!

PFF mock simulator is funny because they have such a hard on for certain players in that even if you select them at great value(they have player A listed as 43rd best prospect and you select him at 60) they still give a bad grade on the selection.

Archived