Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jets at Colts Post Game Thoughts....

EastStreet

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nationally, the 2 INTs last week are all anyone will remember about Wentz, but if you've watched every down, the guy has been very good.  For year one on a new team, he has exceeded my expectations.  He's played well enough to be 6-3.  

Wentz is a franchise QB.  You only worry about injuries and covid.  

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

We need help badly on the back end.

Flus has got to stop playing so loose with the lead.  Drives me NUTS!!

Frank called a great game tonight.  A little too cute, but it worked out okay.

JT and Hines both ran well behind a line that had huge holes all night.

This should have been a blowout game against a bad team.  We let them back in it.  We're not ready for prime time yet.

It was a blow out. The game was never I doubt save the first quarter. 

3 hours ago, James said:

We won, yet I am still annoyed. Actually kinda angry. The Colts defense is a disaster. A third-string QB is slicing up Indy’s starters. The defense continues to be abysmal, and Eberblus and his soft scheme will experience no consequences. This should have been a 40+ for the Colts and below 14 points for the Jets sort of games. 

Why cant the Colts simply focus and play proper defense despite of being far ahead? I wanted to do to the Jets what the Saints did to us in the 60+ burger game. The Saints still played proper defense ALL the way through. Not this soft stuff from Eberflus.

The Colts make every no name QB look great. 3 TDs for.... Josh Johnson, are you kidding me?!

This game exemplifies everything right AND wrong with the defense.

Big turnovers but no consistency in terms of stopping the pass. 

Josh Johnson and Mike White went 34 of 52 for 412 yards, 4 TDs and 0.

Simply pathetic. 

Downright embarrassing to see that stat line put up on you.

Please terminate Eberflus’ contract and change the scheme. Show some accountability, Irsay. The playmakers will still be there, but the Colts need consistency. Not just the occasional big play on defense.

And don’t give me “garbage time”. They did it the whole 2nd half, and other no named QBs have carved up the Colts as well. We allowed over 450 yards of offense... to the Jets.

I agree with you this scheme is terrible and flus needs to be held accountable. This is why we are losing games not the offense someone needs to step in and get rid of flus because hasn't worked for four years. 

Happy for the win, but 2 more QBs threw at will all over the field.  I’m trying to think if any QB struggled against us this year.  I know a few were setting career-high type numbers.

I can somewhat trust our O will show up.  Btw, granson reminded me of dallas clark on that run after catch.

Our D.... it really confuses me.  There are just easy receptions all over the field.   For every team we played i think.  I have no confidence late in games, even if we are up.  They need to figure something out soon because we ate almost at must-win-out level.

Love this team tho and so many of the players, just confused on defensive inconsistency.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Mathis and Wayne are not happy about the defense. 

I’ll side with them and their knowledge and opinions.

I am not happy with the pass D either, I have been saying that for 2 years actually. Not sure why we can't correct it? Having said that when we win I just enjoy it and move on. We could easily be 6-3 but we aren't, if we were not too many people would be saying much. We will see what happens when we play the Bills, remember last year in the playoffs we had them on the ropes, only lost 27-24 and they were just as good last year. Our offense may be better this year because Taylor and Pittman both are better. 

Wentz has played pretty well and I have come around on his game play, but still hard for me to respect him being that he CHOOSES to be non-vaccinated. Huh? I just assumed he was. Lost a little respect for him, not going to lie.  Will it come back to bite the team like Aaron Rodgers? #FreeDumb

4 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Wentz has played pretty well and I have come around on his game play, but still hard for me to respect him being that he CHOOSES to be non-vaccinated. Huh? I just assumed he was. Lost a little respect for him, not going to lie.  Will it come back to bite the team like Aaron Rodgers? #FreeDumb

It probably won't because he follows all the protocols and he isn't lying about not being Vax'd. I am actually Vax'd but there are plenty of people that are Vax'd that have still got Covid. Rodgers lied about it, Leonard isn't Vax'd either and says he isn't.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It probably won't because he follows all the protocols and he isn't lying about not being Vax'd. I am actually Vax'd but there are plenty of people that are Vax'd that have still got Covid. Rodgers lied about it, Leonard isn't Vax'd either and says he isn't.

To follow this up when I got Vax'd I made my mom happy - so I did my due dillgence , that 2nd shot took a toll on me for around 3 days and I never get sick. I was fatigued and very dehydrated for a couple of days and my arm was even sore for 3 days. Strange but true.

Looks to me to be the worst of Flus' defences since he has been in charge. 

2nd string and 3rd string qbs throwing with time to open receivers. Absolutely no pass rush yet again. 

Inevitably when the turnovers drop, the team is going to be in a big hole. 

On the positive nice game from Wentz, JT, Nyheim and the offence as a whole 

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not happy with the pass D either, I have been saying that for 2 years actually. Not sure why we can't correct it? Having said that when we win I just enjoy it and move on. We could easily be 6-3 but we aren't, if we were not too many people would be saying much. We will see what happens when we play the Bills, remember last year in the playoffs we had them on the ropes, only lost 27-24 and they were just as good last year. Our offense may be better this year because Taylor and Pittman both are better. 

Addressing the D I'd go with a mixture of:

• Transitioning back to a 4-3 from a 3-4 requiring a significant change of the roster. Saying that, I don't there were too many usable pieces when Ballard took over anyway. Best players we had were Davies (already declining), Walden & Mike Adams? It has impact on decisions such as drafting Hooker. Injuries aside, moving on from Pagano made him a bit of a square peg.
  • Missing when we have invested high-level draft capital in DBs (talking Ballard but you can also throw in the likes of TJ Green). 
  • No legit pass rushers since... Mathis? Again the capital invested hasn't paid off... so far. Paye looks promising.
  • Leaning too far into the bend don't break and getting overly conservative. 
  • A large amount of individual error/poor execution.
  • Injuries, injuries & injuries.

6 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

How many times did the Jets punt with a 3rd string QB that put up three touchdowns and almost 300 yards while not even playing a entire game? Jets D stopped us in crunch time when we had to keep the ball away from them. We did nothing in the 4th quarter when they were scoring every single drive. You’re in absolute denial if you think that game wasn’t in danger of being lost. Give the Jets 3-4 more minutes, and I guarantee that game is down to a single score, if not worse. 

Yeah, no it was never in doubt. 

Good win. Unfortunately, the offense needs to be even more clinical especially if the defense is going to keep playing like that. This means we'll likely see Wentz trying hero ball more than he should because he feels he has to score 40+ to win.

That defense was putrid. At some point, i started wondering if Flus was holding back plays so he didn't get anything on tape that might be used v the Bucs/Bills. That was some preseason defense, middle of field was open all day and Josh Johnson also picked apart the boundary on short and intermediate plays. The Jets did this exact thing to the Bengals so none of it should have been surprising. They did same to Tennessee. 

Something's got to give with the defense. We got some pressure last night but not enough to affect the QB, he still had way too much time to pick us apart. 

So happy for the win! I thought Frank called a good game against a team the Colts should've beaten and did. There could’ve been a letdown from the Titan loss but the team responded well and handled their business.

Now what gives with this defense? Talent wise Leonard, Buckner, Moore and maybe Rhodes are their best players now and only ONE was drafted by Ballard on a team that wants to build through the draft. Too many "just guys" and not enough playmakers but with that being said the scheme being ran simply stinks. I've seen enough through the years of Fluss as a first time dc to know he's not the answer. The passive soft zone with the corners giving a 10yd cushion on top of usually having no pass rush is a recipe for disaster against ANY NFL QB whether he's a starter or backup. It's like shooting crabs in a bucket. 

My problem with Fluss is his refusal to switch things up and his tendency to stay the course. (Sound familiar with Frank also but at least he will try to change at time just not consistent enough.) How many times did Ryan T gash the Colts in the first game with the naked boot? Last week in the rematch you would think they would be prepared for it.... WRONG! They made Ryan T look like Lamar Jackson on the boots.

At some point Frank as hc has to step in with the overall gameplan and suggest a more aggressive approach. I can't imagine any top hc standing pat on one of their coordinators and allowing something that gives you a good chance to be beaten. Talent wise the d is just ok overall but I think the scheme does them no favors.

I would've liked to see Reich pull Wentz in the 4th quarter and let Ehlinger play. Not because of the pick/snaps, but he was taking some extremely unnecessary shots at the end. Why in the * were we still pass happy in the 4th?? Extremely dumb

The Defense looked like they were trying to avoid injury, and the Offense looked like they were trying to get one in the 4th. 

JT is a man among men, and clearly the best player on this team. Keep feeding him!! 

That play with Ehlinger and Wentz on the field needs to be stripped from the playbook. Was super dumb. 

I did love the pass to Pinter in the endzone. I've been waiting for a O-Lineman pass since Castanzo caught one years ago and did the Dhalsim dance. 

Eberflus should be ashamed of himself letting a 3rd string QB carve up a prevent D - playing 15 yards off and letting them score on 80 yards drives THREE TIMES. While Leonard punching the ball out is absolutely amazing, you can't predicate your Defense on just hoping he will punch the ball out every series. 

Way to go Hines on that foot race to the endzone! 

3 hours ago, presto123 said:

Is he looking for your respect in the first place?

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Great job by the offense and the defense plays a terrible half with prevent defense where the Jets had a shot at an onside kick to potentially tie the game if Okereke doesn't get the interception when they had a 42-10 lead.

Eberflus needs to be fired and Reich needs to be reprimanded.

Other than that, the offense had a great game for 3 quarters until they let off the gas.

But wait....why should you care ? Aren't you the guy that said you are no longer a Colts fan and all you care about is your fantasy football team ?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love this post. 

Probably not the reason you'd agree too though. At least part of it. 

Draft picks. A lot. No change. Still hope from last class though. Need to rely a lot on KP/Dayo though.

A big, very big FA. No big change in 2 years (not saying he is not good)

Let 3 key F7 FAs go. They are all doing better in their new homes.

To your last bolded above, it was our O, not our D that kept us in it. Rivers was gangster, our D was hands up wuss.

Not giving up yet, I'll be die hard till we're below 5%. Our pass D sucks though. If you disagree, just please, please provide a factual or thoughtful response lol. I know we disagree, and you know I love ya. Just want a serious answer. 

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The pass rush didn’t get sacks but I do think the first quarter they did get good pressure at times. Dayo is showing a little bit of spark. Most of it is Eberflus snd baker just not being good at designing pass rush. 

Dayo looked decent

I don’t see any complaints about Hines running up the middle today. 

We’re not an aggressive D to begin with and once we got up 45-16, the clock was our ally. However the pass rush couldn’t get past the Jets OL enough times to my liking and it was a combination of less than stellar talent overall on the D and the clock killing measures adopted by the DC.

The truth is somewhere in the middle but we have definitely fallen short vs good QBs consistently and it falls both on Ballard and Eberflus, IMO. Frank is the lesser problem, no doubt in my mind.

We need to almost fully rebuild the secondary. Rhodes is having a bad year. Ya Sin isn't showing enough for a second contract imo. I like Blackmon and Whillis but injuries are a concern with them. If we can get the secondary dialed in, I believe our defense will become top tier. Pass rush also needs work, but if the Seco day gives them more time there could be improvement.

Look for the draft this coming year to be heavily defensive focused. We need to completely overhaul that secondary, with the exception of Kenny Moore, Blackmon and Willis. The linebackers are good, but we still need more up front.... it would certainly help if Paye and Dayo starting hitting paydirt a bit more consistently, but the pass rush and the secondary are just absolutely glaring issues.

It was nice to see that Reich learned from his ignorant play calling last week.   Split 30/30 run pass last night.  

I still was not a fan of going for it on 4th and goal from the 2.   Had an 18 point lead and the FG would have made it 21.  

I disagree to a point about lack of players on D. I think we do have some good to well above average starters. And even some depth. Dayo and Paye do need to learn how to finish, Paye was deep in several times and was just a fraction of a second too late. Same with Stewart last night. I think our front 4 are more than serviceable. 

our LBs are okay. It’s the secondary where we need help but ...

my issue with the D continues to be the giant soft zones and the miscommunications between line backers and corners. We get toasted a lot right at the hand off area between the linebackers and CBS or the CBS and the safety. Plus our safeties almost always appear lined deeper than most other teams.  We can’t give speedy guys a 10-15 yard open area and expect them to make a play on the ball. 

This is why I’m really calling for Wentz to be sat and our number 1 back. There are a few VERY good CBs at the top of this draft that look to be great play makers. Then it drops off big time. If we end up with a top 10 pick, we’d have a shot at an instant stud

Archived