Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign G Chris Reed

Colt.45

This is a good move, not the big name pickup but a good pickup

One of the reasons we lost the Pitts game was due to OL depth.

We are now building it...... 

Bring in 3-5 more..... let them compete, pick the best, cut the rest

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Haha ravaged?

AC missed 4 games yes...but the other 4 starters missed a combined 3 games last season.

If your starting OL players only missed a combined 7 out of 80 starts...that’s pretty fortunate actually. 

Nothing wrong with depth. I don’t agree that it’s only thing they need...but it is a need nonetheless.

Curious which OL players fill out the 53-man roster. Seems like this would be the depth chart: 

OT - Smith, rookie, Tevi, Davenport 

G - Q, Glowinski, Reed, Pinter 

C - Kelly, Joey Hunt 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Nothing wrong with depth. I don’t agree that it’s only thing they need...but it is a need nonetheless.

Curious which OL players fill out the 53-man roster. Seems like this would be the depth chart: 

OT - Smith, rookie, Tevi, Davenport 

G - Q, Glowinski, Reed, Pinter 

C - Kelly, Joey Hunt 

You are missing Holden

1 minute ago, Shepman said:

You are missing Holden

And O’Donnell.

Can’t remember if they carried 11 last year. I would assume Holden still makes it, but is a game day inactive.

Of course that assumes he doesn’t beat out Davenport or even Tevi...which is possible. 

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Haha ravaged?

AC missed 4 games yes...but the other 4 starters missed a combined 3 games last season.

If your starting OL players only missed a combined 7 out of 80 starts...that’s pretty fortunate actually. 

I just saw that tweet this morning and I was like that is not true. One of the games Smith missed was due to covid. He wouldn’t of missed the other if they could of found a way to wrap his hand. 

11 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

competition?

...is always good.  Bowen made a great point on his last podcast.  Going into the season last year, we had almost no real playing time experience with out backup O Linemen.

This year, whoever makes the roster, is going to have real game experience.  You can't discount that.

This kind of signing is how you win the division.  Allows BPA in the draft and if a starter goes down you have good backups ready.  Tennessee isn’t messing around either and will be a tough team to compete against. They are built very similar to us. The division will be decided in the final weeks and I think whoever can withstand injuries will come out on top. 

34 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

And O’Donnell.

Can’t remember if they carried 11 last year. I would assume Holden still makes it, but is a game day inactive.

Of course that assumes he doesn’t beat out Davenport or even Tevi...which is possible. 

There were 8 OL on the opening day 53-man roster last year.

» Anthony Castonzo

» Le'Raven Clark

» Mark Glowinski

» Chaz Green

» Ryan Kelly

» Quenton Nelson

» Danny Pinter

» Braden Smith

And there were 3 OL on the PS.

Eldrenkamp, Hunt, and O'Donnel

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just saw that tweet this morning and I was like that is not true. One of the games Smith missed was due to covid. He wouldn’t of missed the other if they could of found a way to wrap his hand. 

Haha right? So from an injury standpoint...it was basically AC missing (4) games and Kelly missing one game. That is one ravaged OL. 

The only "ravaged" part of the OL was the LT position for a couple of games where the depth got hurt as well.

I mean...we would have thrown a party to have that type of injury luck in past. The 2018 OL was way more ravaged than last season.

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

There were 8 OL on the opening day 53-man roster last year.

» Anthony Castonzo

» Le'Raven Clark

» Mark Glowinski

» Chaz Green

» Ryan Kelly

» Quenton Nelson

» Danny Pinter

» Braden Smith

Perhaps we will go to 9 then. A guy like Pinter can double as G/C depth...so Hunt might be out then. I am guessing Holden and Davenport are competing for that 4th OT spot.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Perhaps we will go to 9 then. A guy like Pinter can double as G/C depth...so Hunt might be out then. I am guessing Holden and Davenport are competing for that 4th OT spot.

I just updated my earlier post to include:

6 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

And there were 3 OL on the PS.

Eldrenkamp, Hunt, and O'Donnel

Just a thought here and I'm really just spit balling.......Maybe if they can't get the caliber of LT that they feel can slide right into a starting position BUT they draft two edge rushers that they feel can slide into a starters position they feel like Reed could start at LG and Q can slide to LT?  Maybe it is just until a young LT is ready or they wait until 2022 draft to take one high now that they theoretically have the defensive line squared away.

Just a thought....

54 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just a thought here and I'm really just spit balling.......Maybe if they can't get the caliber of LT that they feel can slide right into a starting position BUT they draft two edge rushers that they feel can slide into a starters position they feel like Reed could start at LG and Q can slide to LT?  Maybe it is just until a young LT is ready or they wait until 2022 draft to take one high now that they theoretically have the defensive line squared away.

Just a thought....

LT is obviously a need.  But we survived with a couple subs and a statue at QB last season.

We have to improve the pass rush.  It makes the DBs jobs a lot easier.   If they're the BPAs on our first two picks, I would not be surprised if thats the way Ballard goes.  I doubt it though.

• Shive changed the title to Colts sign G Chris Reed
1 hour ago, buccolts said:

One more step towards BPA round 1, and/or do we have a trade pc or two as PS unfolds(?).

You are 100% correct

I hope we keep adding depth on both lines. 

We dont have to be down to final roster numbers for a long time

I imagine many of these recent adds wont be with the team on final cuts after we let them compete for backup roles

Its ok to bring in the 50/50 guys......  for now...

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just a thought....

I'm wondering this now too.  This guy is decent.  I am wondering if they are going to have a starting guard competition.  I love Q. He's fun to watch.  But if we get in a situation where we have a LG and a WILL LB making LT and OLB money, I can't see how that will work out well for us.

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'm wondering this now too.  This guy is decent.  I am wondering if they are going to have a starting guard competition.  I love Q. He's fun to watch.  But if we get in a situation where we have a LG and a WILL LB making LT and OLB money, I can't see how that will work out well for us.

Q would be an all-pro at Tackle too and I'm sure he would do whatever the team asked, just like he did at ND when he was better than their LT McGlinchey but there was no combo better than Glinch and Q as they were.......so he played Guard.

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Q would be an all-pro at Tackle too and I'm sure he would do whatever the team asked, just like he did at ND when he was better than their LT McGlinchey but there was no combo better than Glinch and Q as they were.......so he played Guard.

If he is good enough to be all pro at LT, then it would seem like a no brainer to me.

Guards are probably more valuable in a college rushing attack that averages 270 yds pg like ND did in Q's last year than tackles too.

Take this with a giant grain of salt but the latest mock drafts I saw this morning didn’t have the Colts going tackle in round one or two.  This guy could be a starter at guard if they kick Nelson out to tackle.  It gives them another option.  Not sure that’s the option I want them to go but it’s an option so they don’t have to “force” a tackle pick.

Archived