Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

17 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I think Trask is going to free-fall to the 3rd round.  I'm not sold on him at all.  He kind of disappeared without Pitts.

I like Fitzpatrick as a veteran option if the Colts go all in on Fields or Wilson, which are my 2 favorite prospects in this class.  It was reported today that several teams have Wilson graded higher than Lawrence.   

For me, it goes something like this:

1) Lawrence

2) (a) Fields

2) (b) Wilson

3) Lance

4) Jones

5) Trask (third rounder)

Honorable mention: Ian Book (taken in 6th round)

I think Jones and Trask both fall to the second round. 

I can see NO trading back and grabbing one of the two in the East second round.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

For me

1. Lawrence (and it's not even close)

2. Wilson

3. Lance

4. Trask

5. Jones or Newman (he's got rust)

Trask had 408 and 3 TDs vs Bama.... 

You do realize don't you that FL was without Pitts, Toney, Grimes, Wright, and others vs OK. That's his top 4 pass catchers. Trask didn't really play the 2nd half either. It was a throw away game. 

Are you totally forgetting about Fields? 

I can see you maybe having Wilson & Lance rated higher, but Trask, Jones, and Newsome are not even close to being on his level.

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

My whole point.  Frank seems to be a great guy, but his coaching, and play calling decisions have left skid marks, if you know what I mean.  I am totally against signing Wentz unless it's a steal.  We still have time to see else comes available.

I'm not sold at all on Frank, but I also give him some slack in certain areas. IMO, if he gets Wentz, and struggles, time to look for a new QB and HC. Having 3 QBs in 3 years is a challenge though. But his game plans have been really bad too which can't be ignored.

I really don't see a lot of great options for the Colts now that Stafford is off the table. So a second, or two 2s, is OK IMO for Wentz. Might work out well. Might not. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Are you totally forgetting about Fields? 

I can see you maybe having Wilson & Lance rated higher, but Trask, Jones, and Newsome are not even close to being on his level.

Sorry, Fields after Lance

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Jones and Trask both fall to the second round. 

I can see NO trading back and grabbing one of the two in the East second round.

Jags, Jets, Atlanta, Detroit will all be in on QB's. Probably the Pats. Possibly the Colts  If that's the case I can't see both fallling to the second.   Although I do like Jaime Newman  but like @EastStreet has said he looked plenty rusty in the Shrine game.

I usually figure it to be 4 QB's taken.  This yr I'll lean toward 5 

16 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Jags, Jets, Atlanta, Detroit will all be in on QB's. Probably the Pats. Possibly the Colts  If that's the case I can't see both fallling to the second.   Although I do like Jaime Newman  but like @EastStreet has said he looked plenty rusty in the Shrine game.

I usually figure it to be 4 QB's taken.  This yr I'll lean toward 5 

Yup, but need to factor FAs and other trades or shifts. It's a glut market, and musical chairs year.

2 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Actually I will take Detroit off that list and I agree with you. on the FA.  You convinced  me  I'm back to 4 LOL

I think 4 is a good number. Any team that goes for Jones or Trask in the 1st is really reaching IMO. Nothing would shock though. Seems like a team reaches to far every year.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

He was in 2017. In fact, he was one of the front runner MVP candidates, but then got injured late.

I liked Wentz, but if you go watch film, he wasn’t close to Luck. That team around him was really good, and they won the Super Bowl without him. Luck was busy carrying one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Luck was a generational talent, and we wasted him. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Comparing Wentz to Luck is laughable. He is not on Luck's level.

No, you’re right.   He’s not on Luck’s level.

But, as a longtime Luck admirer, I’d say that for me, he has more Luck-like traits than any other QB.   Physically, personality, athletically, in all kinds of ways.    He’s a Poor Man’s Andrew Luck.  Ok, a very poor man’s AL.  

For a variety of reasons, everything has gone sideways for Wentz.   Some is no doubt his fault and responsibility.  Hopefully, in a new setting, in our culture, he can find his form again.  That’s what Ballard and Reich are banking on. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

For me

1. Lawrence (and it's not even close)

2. Wilson

3. Lance

4. Trask

5. Jones or Newman (he's got rust)

Trask had 408 and 3 TDs vs Bama.... 

You do realize don't you that FL was without Pitts, Toney, Grimes, Wright, and others vs OK. That's his top 4 pass catchers. Trask didn't really play the 2nd half either. It was a throw away game. 

I do realize that, but he still made boneheaded decisions and awful throws that left me thinking: That's *alarming.*  Plus, Alabama's defense was kind of inconsistent this season.  Ole Miss lit them up.  Regardless, I'm not going to judge him solely by his best/worst games. 

No Fields in the top 5?  That's bold!  I like bold.  Why though?

Lawrence was a fumble machine against OSU.  He didn't lose all of them, but he looked unbelievably rattled in that game when facing a real pass rush.  And while I'm not judging him solely by that game, either, I also share the concerns expressed by June Jones in this article:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-qb-3-thats-how-one-former-nfl-coach-grades-him-205523234.html

I also agree with Jones regarding the other Jones (Mac):

"Mac's deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks," June Jones said. "He’s almost at 55 percent at over 20 yards, which is unbelievable."

6 hours ago, DattMavis said:

I liked Wentz, but if you go watch film, he wasn’t close to Luck. That team around him was really good, and they won the Super Bowl without him. Luck was busy carrying one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Luck was a generational talent, and we wasted him. 

Colts didn't waste anything, they just had some bad hires and Luck got sick of football/getting hit. If every qb that got hit a lot retired, it'd be a wildcat league. Building an Oline isn't an exact science, especially when you are lacking in a lot of areas. Blaming the Colts for Luck's retiring is a lazy media take. The same media that didn't have enough respect for him to let him make his own announcement and then railed on Colts fans for booing.  Anyways, sorry to all for the OT...I just despise echoed media garbage.

I should've mentioned that i agree with the rest of your post.

4 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Luck wasn’t a generational talent. He was great, but generational QBs usually leave the game with at least one SB ring.

(Apologies to Dan Marino)

I'd feel worse as a Fish fan for not winning a Super Bowl with Marino, than not winning one with Luck. Dolphins protected him, but never had the run game or D in a perfect storm season. That 759 passes without a sack stat is one of the most unbelievable in football. I think Luck would've eventually got one in Indy if he'd stuck around.

11 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Mac Jones is the most over rated QB since Brady Quinn. 

Jonny football was pretty sad too.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   if true, it’s interesting.  Because the tweet is roughly two hours old and the story still hasn’t broken?!?    I mean...   really?

No one has reported this for two hours until Vin Fosh?    

Call me crazy, but I think I’ll wait for confirmation from a higher source. 

10 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

One of the responses called him an attention hound

@Chloe6124 @John Waylon

I mean the guy has reported that the deal is same as done with like 3 different teams, and for at least the last 4 days at this point. He doesn’t even have to write new tweets at this point, he can just start cycling out names and/or teams like interchangeable parts. 

He’ll be the first one to report that the New York Knicks are in the fast lane to get the deal done. Unless the San Diego Padres step in with their own offer... 

Who knows what kind of info the guy is getting, but he’s got a lot of people on the edges of their seats and so far it just hasn’t paid off. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

An opinion, is just an opinion. I do try to be logical in mine. 

So another simple question, in the last 5 or 10 years, how many guys were hired as HC coming from the offensive side of the ball that had neither prior HC, or playing calling experience. 

And also, what specifically from Sirianni's background was hugely successful (where a team showed significant improvement in the area he coached). KC WRs, Rivers or WRs in SD, the O in Indy? IMO, his best time was WRs in SD when he was the WR's coach, but he was blessed with a ton of talent, and had PR tossing it and air-schemes.

To be fair, in re-reading your posts about Wentz/Sirianni in this context, you made it clear it was your opinion only, so I'll back off. 

There is a lot of certain declaration on this topic, though, and there's nothing certain right now. Unless The Foshinator is correct.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

If this happens at any point today, I'm off his back. I'll delete all my negative posts about him lol.

He didn't specify noon today.    If it is done at any point it will be done before noon on the following day so hes in the clear. lol.

6 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

My father taught my brothers and I when we were kids that the most important thing you own is your name.  When you tarnish it, people have difficulty believing anything you say or share.  I believe Vin Fosh may have some "sources" but, to spit unverified, confirmed or honest information out tarnishes his name.  That goes for anyone, IMHO.  Writers, bloggers, anchors, news outlets, me, you.  I won't put ANY faith in "reports" until an announcement comes from the Colts that they have signed a QB.  Just my thoughts on all of this.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL

I mean he's just throwing dung at the wall too see if it will stick especially with the pen to paper comment because nothing is actually official until the new league year so nothing will technically be signed until then...

Archived