Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m good with rolling with Eason or Trading for Wentz.    Rolling Eason is a win win for the team IMO. You could find your long term answer at the position or end up with a Top 10 pick. I don’t

If this happens at any point today, I'm off his back. I'll delete all my negative posts about him lol.

18 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Let's play the devil's advocate. If we get Wentz and Reich can't resurrect his career & he struggles and his selfishness starts to create problems in our locker room should Ballard still have faith in Reich???  Could Reich pushing for Wentz and things falling apart because of it actually cost Reich his job?  Or is Reich untouchable regardless of how it plays out?  

Reich isn't untouchable by any means.  I think Reich pushed for Rivers and it worked out.  Now he's pushing for Wentz so we will see.  I do think both Ballard and Reich's contract come up for renewal at the same time.  So they are somewhat tied together.   So far so good though.  I have faith in Reich.  It's great when a player wants to play for you and has confidence in you as a coach.   That's half the battle.  

I'm not 100% sure what the "Wentz is actually a terrible teammate" is about, but if he's not actually a pouty, child (which seems unlikely, that'd be vetted out before the NFL), given the crap that's been talked about him, I have to think this rift might be about something a little more common in our current climate. 

What matters the most to me is can he do the job. I'm firmly on the fence, leaning if last year means anything, don't overpay to bring him at the least.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I see it like Kevin Bowen sees it.  If Ballard really had ultimate faith and belief that Frank could resurrect Wentz to MVP level, what's an extra 3rd or 4th round pick to get a franchise QB?  Or who wouldn't trade the 21st pick for an MVP caliber QB?  The fact that he's being firm in his positioning tells me that he doesn't have supreme confidence in a Wentz career resurrection.  He may ultimately do the deal but he's not in any sort of a hurry to do so.  At any given moment another team could have swooped in and grabbed Wentz.  Ballard doesn't seem too concerned at the moment.

Or he wants to pay at the current value, because why pay more if you don't have to and keep those picks because Ballard likes his picks.

For example you know a stock is gonna go up from its current value 10 dollars to 15 dollars, it wouldn't make sense to pay an extra 2 or 3 dollars per stock because you know the current value is 10. Sure you could pay more and still get a profit but to maximize your gain you pay at the current value.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Press Taylor being his "friend" is what worries me.  His play declined, him being accountable for his own poor play was non-existent, and all of the reports of him being a poor teammate came after they promoted his "friend" Press Taylor to O.C. or QB Coach.  He needs tough love from people that are going to hold him accountable.  Not hold his hand and tell him that it's not his fault.  I've read a couple articles where Wentz semi-admits that maybe he was selfish and needed to be a better teammate.  That was before this past season.  So was that just lip service or did the team drafting Hurts just crush what little resolve and fight he had left in him?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Or he wants to pay at the current value, because why pay more if you don't have to and keep those picks because Ballard likes his picks.

For example you know a stock is gonna go up from its current value 10 dollars to 15 dollars, it wouldn't make sense to pay an extra 2 or 3 dollars per stock because you know the current value is 10. Sure you could pay more and still get a profit but to maximize your gain you pay at the current value.

But everyone is acting like the Wentz stock is for sure to go up to $25 from its current $10 valuation.  In that scenario you snatch them up for the extra $2 if they are in short supply and others are lurking and waiting to snatch the stock up for $11.  But it's probably like you said, Ballard only views Wentz stock value increase to $15 and isn't gonna move off of his $10 offer.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, csmopar said:

im not so sure.  Its still in the Eagles court at this point.  I can't imagine this dragging on much more before Ballard just walks away.  

I doubt he walks away until Wentz is actually dealt, but I'd be fine with him bailing in the talks.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You would think a smart GM such as Ballard would have checked into all of those allegations.  And he has Reich as his coach and he wants him.  Apparently he's not worried. 

Apparently that's speculation. He hasn't exactly come out and acted like a GM that is super confident in Wentz either. I'm not saying he is worried, but you can't discount it either.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

Apparently that's speculation. He hasn't exactly come out and acted like a GM that is super confident in Wentz either. I'm not saying he is worried, but you can't discount it either.

If I remember right, GMs can't talk about players that are on another team. So Ballard can't talk about his confidence in Wentz. it would also hurt our position in negotiating a trade, if you talk up the player that you are trying to trade for.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

If I remember right, GMs can't talk about players that are on another team. So Ballard can't talk about his confidence in Wentz. it would also hurt our position in negotiating a trade, if you talk up the player that you are trying to trade for.

Correct. I'll let his offer for Wentz do the talking in regards to how much confidence he has in him.

57 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s not going to stay on the hook for a player that he values as little as he seems to value Wentz.

I think there's a difference between 'we don't want to give up a first for a player who struggled last year and is owed $47m' and 'we value him very little.' 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

It is reported Ballard has offered 2 second rounders. Knowing how he values his draft picks, would he do that if he was worried? Of course not.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is reported Ballard has offered 2 second rounders. Knowing how he values his draft picks, would he do that if he was worried? Of course not.

and i believe that rumor is fabricated or embellished. If he offered 2 seconds it was for more than Wentz imo.

51 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Press Taylor being his "friend" is what worries me.  His play declined, him being accountable for his own poor play was non-existent, and all of the reports of him being a poor teammate came after they promoted his "friend" Press Taylor to O.C. or QB Coach.  He needs tough love from people that are going to hold him accountable.  Not hold his hand and tell him that it's not his fault.  I've read a couple articles where Wentz semi-admits that maybe he was selfish and needed to be a better teammate.  That was before this past season.  So was that just lip service or did the team drafting Hurts just crush what little resolve and fight he had left in him?

He won’t be the QB coach so it doesn’t worry me that much.

1 minute ago, MarquisJ said:

Darnold has always been the one I thought he would go after 1st.   Younger, friendlier contract, still plenty of upside, good relationship with Jets front office.  Maybe that's why he's not budging on offering more for Wentz.  He's trying to acquire Wentz for less draft capital than it might take to acquire Darnold.  He could like them both and Wentz is the one currently available and the one Reich is pushing for.   Just guessing. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

I do think there is some risk for Reich here.  It may not get him fired but it will certainly be a strike or two against him if it goes really badly with Wentz

Your options are very limited.  You only have a few realistic options.  It's not as though you have the #2 pick and Frank is saying, no, let's go with Wentz instead.  If it doesn't work, I don't see it affecting Frank all that much.  They probably just move on to Eason.

If Wentz does indeed end up in Indy, I hope it is highway robbery for Ballard in getting him. I wouldn’t be a fan of dealing two 2nds for him, and adding Ertz to the deal isn’t much better since he’ll most likely be cut from Philly anyhow. 

Wentz’s value should be more on par with Jared Goff, and LA gave up additional draft capital to unload his contract. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think there's a difference between 'we don't want to give up a first for a player who struggled last year and is owed $47m' and 'we value him very little.' 

I didn’t say we value him very little. In fact, they’re still paying a steep price for him if the reported offer is indeed correct. 

We gave up an even better first round pick a year ago for Buckner. 

So trading a 1st for a player they want and feel is a difference maker is obviously not out of the question. 

And that just proves how they value Wentz. 

They aren’t increasing their offer. They made an offer lower than they knew the asking price would be. And they’re telling the Eagles to take it or don’t, because that’s the offer and it’s not getting any better. And if someone outbids us is Ballard going to try to get back in the race? 

No. 

That’s not how you handle something that you truly value. 

If we offered our 1 this year the deal would be done. We don’t value him enough for that, not “we value him very little”. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I read some interview from Taylor about Wentz and he literally wouldn't criticize Wentz.

TBH...I don't know much about Taylor...but at the surface level...I am not impressed. He got promoted after the SB season...and the PHI passing offense has regressed each year. Not necessarily on him...but it would appear that the Colts have brought him in for a reason...and a Wentz trade would confirm that.

I just think there's way too much smoke here around Wentz. It's one thing to fix the off-field stuff when that player has been playing well. But it's another thing to fix that AND his performance on the field.

And if Reich is enough a QB whisperer to do it...then draft a QB and let him work his magic.

On that note...I watched more Fields the other night...and now I dislike the idea of trading for Wentz even more. Trading up for Wilson/Fields is by far the best play they can make. I will remain hopeful each day they haven't traded for Wentz.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Superman said:

No thanks.

Fair enough. I would gladly take Hurts for one Day 2 pick over allocating $48M in cap and multiple Day 2 picks to Carson Wentz...the guy that benched for Hurts. At least Hurts would be fun to watch...and you can much more easily finish building the roster with him.

But PHI isn't going to draft a QB...so they won't trade Hurts. 

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Fair enough. I would gladly take Hurts for one Day 2 pick over allocating $48M in cap and multiple Day 2 picks to Carson Wentz...the guy that benched for Hurts. At least Hurts would be fun to watch...and you can much more easily finish building the roster with him.

But PHI isn't going to draft a QB...so they won't trade Hurts. 

That last "report" suggests they would use #6 on a QB, so not sure why you're concluding they wouldn't draft a QB. I think they should, because Hurts ain't it, IMO.

And the thing is that it isn't a choice between Wentz and Hurts. It's a choice between multiple options. And Hurts doesn't look like a good option to me, so I wouldn't give up a top 100 pick for him, personally. 

• Shive locked and unpinned this topic