Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm not 100% sure what the "Wentz is actually a terrible teammate" is about, but if he's not actually a pouty, child (which seems unlikely, that'd be vetted out before the NFL), given the crap that's been talked about him, I have to think this rift might be about something a little more common in our current climate. 

What matters the most to me is can he do the job. I'm firmly on the fence, leaning if last year means anything, don't overpay to bring him at the least.

I don't typically buy the media narratives about players...and it is PHI. However, there is a lot more smoke here than normal. But I tend to look more at actions. Here is a timeline that I have pieced together:

- Some writer at the PhillyVoice writes an article in Feb 2019, citing sources inside the locker room that criticize Wentz for various reasons (including being a poor teammate, egotistical, selfish, etc.). Top players within the locker room defend Wentz. Wentz addresses the report and even admits there was some truth to it...vowing to be a better teammate. (I respect that accountability...but it also lends at least some credibility to the idea that Wentz hadn't been the best teammate. This was also two years ago...shortly after a divisional round loss and only one year removed from the SB win. PHI was a competitive team...and Wentz had also missed the final 5 games and the playoffs, so probably not the best time to kick a man when he was down.)

- That following season (2019)...after a loss to (eventual 5-11) MIA in Week 13...PHI is 5-7. Wentz has played poorly for months at this point...and has regressed far from the level where he was the prior season, let alone the "MVP" season. Wentz then plays much better down the stretch as PHI rattles off (4) straight wins against lowly NFCE opponents (that would finish the season with a combined 15-33 record) and win the NFCE and make the playoffs. Wentz unfortunately then gets knocked out early in the playoff game.

- Despite Wentz playing well in those last four games and PHI making the playoffs, the FO drafts Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round of the following draft. (It would seem that somebody began to see the potential writing on the wall.)

- The following season Wentz is objectively awful, one of (if not) the worst QBs in the NFL. He makes poor decisions...poor reads....holds onto the ball too long. He is benched for Hurts after 12 games. (One source from the team would later say that nearly 2/3 of the sacks were on Wentz...that he had no idea where to go with the ball at times.)

- And then reports of him requesting a trade start to come out...that his relationship with Pederson is fractured and his trade request is somewhat of an ultimatum to the team. He declines to speak to the media on cleanout day. Further reports later surface that he was rejecting (or objecting to) coaching during the season...that he was going rogue and even changing plays (one source even said out of spite). Wentz doesn't address these issues...and the same players haven't come to this defense (at least not that I have seen).

- PHI actually fires Pederson (the coach he doesn't like) and then they hire a young HC who has mentored under Reich (a coach he does like). This move is interpreted as an intention to commit to Wentz going forward.

- But despite PHI firing Pederson and hiring Sirianni, Wentz still then requests a trade (remember that vow to be a better teammate?).

We don't what's true and what's a hatchet job...but that is a lot of smoke. And this doesn't even include the reports about Foles. 

It's not a stretch to think that Wentz is largely responsible for how all of this transpired in PHI...and that it's not just from his play on the field last season (which is an issue onto itself). I know Reich has the connection and rapport...but I struggle to see how the juice is worth the squeeze here. But if they do trade for Wentz, I will hope I am very wrong about him.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dan Sileo reporting the colts and eagles are wrapping it up lol.

That's great news. That dude is never right.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't typically buy the media narratives about players...and it is PHI. However, there is a lot more smoke here than normal. But I tend to look more at actions. Here is a timeline that I have pieced together:

- Some writer at the PhillyVoice writes an article in Feb 2019, citing sources inside the locker room that criticize Wentz for various reasons (including being a poor teammate, egotistical, selfish, etc.). Top players within the locker room defend Wentz. Wentz addresses the report and even admits there was some truth to it...vowing to be a better teammate. (I respect that accountability...but it also lends at least some credibility to the idea that Wentz hadn't been the best teammate. This was also two years ago...shortly after a divisional round loss and only one year removed from the SB win. PHI was a competitive team...and Wentz had also missed the final 5 games and the playoffs, so probably not the best time to kick a man when he was down.)

- That following season (2019)...after a loss to (eventual 5-11) MIA in Week 13...PHI is 5-7. Wentz has played poorly for months at this point...and has regressed far from the level where he was the prior season, let alone the "MVP" season. Wentz then plays much better down the stretch as PHI rattles off (4) straight wins against lowly NFCE opponents (that would finish the season with a combined 15-33 record) and win the NFCE and make the playoffs. Wentz unfortunately then gets knocked out early in the playoff game.

- Despite Wentz playing well in those last four games and PHI making the playoffs, the FO drafts Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round of the following draft. (It would seem that somebody began to see the potential writing on the wall.)

- The following season Wentz is objectively awful, one of (if not) the worst QBs in the NFL. He makes poor decisions...poor reads....holds onto the ball too long. He is benched for Hurts after 12 games. (One source from the team would later say that nearly 2/3 of the sacks were on Wentz...that he had no idea where to go with the ball at times.)

- And then reports of him requesting a trade start to come out...that his relationship with Pederson is fractured and his trade request is somewhat of an ultimatum to the team. He declines to speak to the media on cleanout day. Further reports later surface that he was rejecting (or objecting to) coaching during the season...that he was going rogue and even changing plays (one source even said out of spite). Wentz doesn't address these issues...and the same players haven't come to this defense (at least not that I have seen).

- PHI actually fires Pederson (the coach he doesn't like) and then they hire a young HC who has mentored under Reich (a coach he does like). This move is interpreted as an intention to commit to Wentz going forward.

- But despite PHI firing Pederson and hiring Sirianni, Wentz still then requests a trade (remember that vow to be a better teammate?).

We don't what's true and what's a hatchet job...but that is a lot of smoke. And this doesn't even include the reports about Foles. 

It's not a stretch to think that Wentz is largely responsible for how all of this transpired in PHI...and that it's not just from his play on the field last season (which is an issue onto itself). I know Reich has the connection and rapport...but I struggle to see how the juice is worth the squeeze here. But if they do trade for Wentz, I will hope I am very wrong about him.

These are the events I was paraphrasing in my earlier post.  I didn't give it a CSI breakdown like you did but these are exactly all the same things I heard.  Thanks for posting this.

This from your post above is very troubling:

"- But despite PHI firing Pederson and hiring Sirianni, Wentz still then requests a trade (remember that vow to be a better teammate?)."

I think the biggest aspect that those who DON'T WANT Wentz don't seem to fully appreciate....

Frank knows Wentz and wants him.

Frank knows Philly and understands how that city can be.

Frank believes that the Colts culture and locker room can help Wentz.     So does Chris Ballard.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there's anything out that that outweighs the above.     

And,  the stubborn fact that never seems to go away,  whatever you think of Wentz,  there aren't many (any?) better choices. 

Hopefully we will know how this Wentz saga ends before the end of the week.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

These are the events I was paraphrasing in my earlier post.  I didn't give it a CSI breakdown like you did but these are exactly all the same things I heard.  Thanks for posting this.

"- But despite PHI firing Pederson and hiring Sirianni, Wentz still then requests a trade (remember that vow to be a better teammate?)."

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

That last "report" suggests they would use #6 on a QB, so not sure why you're concluding they wouldn't draft a QB. I think they should, because Hurts ain't it, IMO.

And the thing is that it isn't a choice between Wentz and Hurts. It's a choice between multiple options. And Hurts doesn't look like a good option to me, so I wouldn't give up a top 100 pick for him, personally. 

I am just disagreeing with that last "report" about them drafting a QB at #6. That came from an "NFL management source"...someone from outside the organization. If they do trade Wentz...they will definitely bring in another QB...I just don't think it would be that early in the draft.

If they didn't want to give Hurts a shot...then why not just hold onto Wentz instead of selling him to the highest low bid? They save nothing by trading him anyways. With Pederson gone...perhaps time would help heal the fracture. And maybe that's what happens. PHI makes it look like they tried to trade him...but can't back a deal of how they much value him...and they are able to make amends.

Seems more likely that he already knows that Hurts is the likely plan next season...hence that he wants out.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

It's funny to me how wanting to be traded to the Colts is being used by the Wentz-detractors as a BAD thing,  not a good thing.     One would think getting a QB that wants to be with the Colts would be a good thing?    But not by some here....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's funny to me how wanting to be traded to the Colts is being used by the Wentz-detractors as a BAD thing,  not a good thing.     One would think getting a QB that wants to be with the Colts would be a good thing?    But not by some here....

You all are being scammed all these unverified reports on Wentz coming to Indy are being generated by Philadelphia  leaked to ESPN and everyone goes nuts, so they can be the first to report it. just like Pat Macaffey called it ..... nonsense

19 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I'm gonna start by saying I agree with you. 100 Percent. 

That said, I have to play devils advocate and asked what changed between 2017 and 2018.  The answer isnt simply that Reich left.  The answer is Wentz was a one year wonder and has flamed out. Which is why i dont want him.  He's never really been any good. 

8 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

You all are being scammed all these unverified reports on Wentz coming to Indy are being generated by Philadelphia  leaked to ESPN and everyone goes nuts, so they can be the first to report it. just like Pat Macaffey called it ..... nonsense

i really hope you're right

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

not when that QB is garbage as a player.

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

No problem. I wasn't really aware of the overall situation...I have mostly just been very weary of what I saw on tape last season.

But after doing some digging...it's hard to know what to make of all of that. Relationships with players do break down with most orgs...it happens.

But I am not really sure what makes PHI at fault here (at least until they drafted Hurts and put a target on his back). From reports I have gathered, they treated him incredibly well. They gave him influence in the org, gave him a massive contract (after he had finished the season on IR again), promoted his friend Taylor, helped get Foles out of the picture, fired Pederson, hired Sirianni.

If anything, they might have been too easy on him.

And after all of that, to request a trade just seems like he is about one person. It also makes me think he has lost the locker room as well, which would help explain why there's no going back even if the FO and HC still wanted him as a starter. 

What happens in Indy if he struggles? Or even worse...if some of these "reported" issues persist? Are the coaches (including Reich) going to protect him? Are the other leaders in the locker room going to sort him out? Neither of those sound ideal. So do we just think everything will magically be fine and he will become a top 10 QB again?

I just have a lot of questions about his performance last season...and even more now because of the off-field/locker room stuff. Reich obviously knows him...but he is three years removed from that locker room. When he left, they had just won a SB...everybody loved everybody. I will just have to trust their judgement on this if it happens. 

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

(One source from the team would later say that nearly 2/3 of the sacks were on Wentz...that he had no idea where to go with the ball at times.)

Just on a couple points:

-The first is denying to speak to the media, I think that was a smart move because with the type of questions they would ask I really don't think you come out of that press conference looking any better. All it would take was one misquote for the media storm to blow up, and make him look even worst then now. He should of made a statement by now saying the reports about him coming out are false but even that could backfire.

- As for the Pederson firing, I think Roseman wanting control of the coaching staff was a bigger deal than what people are making of it. Pederson didn't want to give up control of his staff which he had to fight to keep Frank when Roseman wanted to fire him and last offseason when Roseman fired Groh (Which Pederson threatened to quit after).

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/1/12/22225977/doug-pederson-peace-no-longer-being-eagles-head-coach-philadelphia-howie-roseman-nfl-news

-Which leads me to the Sirianni hiring, I don't think they hired him to keep Wentz. I think they hired him because he ran a similar style to Doug Pederson, so no huge changes on what type of players they want and since he is young Roseman and Lurie could have control of the coaching staff. So basically a doug pederson style coach that they can control.

-and the 2/3rds of sacks being his fault I doubt that just on the fact the Eagles broke the record for most different offensive line combinations, which if you are constantly having new lineman how can they work in sync 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's a bit of a strawman argument. Nobody said they don't want Wentz because he wants to play in Indy instead of CHI. Of course I want players that want to be Colts. But let's not pretend that a big part of that isn't the HC (not to mention they just hired his buddy).

But I have no issue that he wants to come here.  

But at one point (probably not that long ago)...Wentz also wanted to be an Eagle. In fact, he signed a massive contract to play a long time there. And in less than two years...that relationship seemed to deteriorate beyond repair (at least as he sees it). So my issue is more about why he wants to leave PHI...and how he is going about it.

And are the Colts immune to him having another falling out? Probably...but we don't know. I am sure he and Pederson had a great relationship earlier in his career.

But this is only one side of this. The other side is performance...and he was awful on the field last season...and hasn't been a great QB since 2017. Thinking that Indy and Reich will easily fix that (on top of whatever else might be going on) seems like a risky proposition.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Just on a couple points:

-The first is denying to speak to the media, I think that was a smart move because with the type of questions they would ask I really don't think you come out of that press conference looking any better. All it would take was one misquote for the media storm to blow up, and make him look even worst then now. He should of made a statement by now saying the reports about him coming out are false but even that could backfire.

- As for the Pederson firing, I think Roseman wanting control of the coaching staff was a bigger deal than what people are making of it. Pederson didn't want to give up control of his staff which he had to fight to keep Frank when Roseman wanted to fire him and last offseason when Roseman fired Groh (Which Pederson threatened to quit after).

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/1/12/22225977/doug-pederson-peace-no-longer-being-eagles-head-coach-philadelphia-howie-roseman-nfl-news

-Which leads me to the Sirianni hiring, I don't think they hired him to keep Wentz. I think they hired him because he ran a similar style to Doug Pederson, so no huge changes on what type of players they want and since he is young Roseman and Lurie could have control of the coaching staff. So basically a doug pederson style coach that they can control.

-and the 2/3rds of sacks being his fault I doubt that just on the fact the Eagles broke the record for most different offensive line combinations, which if you are constantly having new lineman how can they work in sync 

200.gif

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's a bit of a strawman argument. Nobody said they don't want Wentz because he wants to play in Indy instead of CHI. Of course I want players that want to be Colts. But let's not pretend that a big part of that isn't the HC (not to mention they just hired his buddy).

But I have no issue that he wants to come here.  

But at one point (probably not that long ago)...Wentz also wanted to be an Eagle. In fact, he signed a massive contract to play a long time there. And in less than two years...that relationship seemed to deteriorate beyond repair (at least as he sees it). So my issue is more about why he wants to leave PHI...and how he is going about it.

And are the Colts immune to him having another falling out? Probably...but we don't know. I am sure he and Pederson had a great relationship earlier in his career.

But this is only one side of this. The other side is performance...and he was awful on the field last season...and hasn't been a great QB since 2017. Thinking that Indy and Reich will easily fix that (on top of whatever else might be going on) seems like a risky proposition.

dance dancing GIF by Real Canadian Superstore

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Cardinal fan here.   

I was thrilled with that trade this season.  This should inject some life into that roster.   I don't expect Arenado's number to match what they have been in Colorado, but even at 20% less, it will be huge for the Cardinals.  

Oh for sure...if he hits .280 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs it’ll be more than worth what they give up. Not to mention he had 15 defensive runs saved last season in 60 games. I love me some Scott Rolen in Cardinals gear but Arenado might leave more of an impact if he sticks around.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i saw a couple sources saying its a done deal i hope its right .   carson is refusing to go to bears and bears will not trade for him unless he commits to wanting to be there .   colts only team left lets hope deal is done soon

links?

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not if Sileo is the source

A Tiger in TigerTown 

season 3 agree GIF by Animals

Tried to put tweets in didn't work

Here's what they said:

RE: Doug Pederson’s firing. This has been boiling since last offseason when Jeffrey/Howie Roseman pressured him to fire OC Mike Groh. As I reported in Sept., Pederson was angry. He initially threatened to quit, per sources close to him. #Eagles didn’t take seriously then.

— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane)

Previously heard that the Eagles gave serious weight to firing Doug Pederson after his first season in 2016. Actually interviewed Jim Schwartz for HC at the time even though Pederson hadn’t been removed.

True. While it wasn’t called a HC interview, some caught win and considered it as much. It gave Jim some clout and led some in the building to believe he was behind the Mike Lombardi criticisms of Doug.

— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane)

IFFF Wentz comes to the Colts, I hope his work ethic improves and he takes winning seriously. (Reports say otherwise in Philly).

He obviously has talent but it’s more than that as a QB.

Also his massive contract may hurt the Colts in Free Agency. I’m not a numbers guy however so I’m not sure how much.

2 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

IFFF Wentz comes to the Colts, I hope his work ethic improves and he takes winning seriously. (Reports say otherwise in Philly).

Also his massive contract may hurt the Colts in Free Agency. I’m not a numbers guy however so I’m not sure how much.

As far as the contract.   Put it this way even taking on Wentz we will save about 20 million this yr compared to last yr at the QB position. LOL

2 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I believe his cap hit Is similar to what PRs was last year and the team has an out after 2 years

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i really hope you're right

You should contract Ballard and Reich.

Tell them how stupid they are to have wasted all this time the last few weeks on a terrible player and person!    After all there are so many other better options!

And tell them you’ll be happy to consult with them to help them not make such a disastrous decision going forward.  It’s a public service from a concerned fan.  I’m sure they’ll appreciate it. 

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That said, I have to play devils advocate and asked what changed between 2017 and 2018.  The answer isnt simply that Reich left.  The answer is Wentz was a one year wonder and has flamed out. Which is why i dont want him.  He's never really been any good. 

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

tenor.gif?itemid=18284937

Archived