Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

But with the ARob news breaking yesterday, I can’t imagine that will help Wentz alleged hesitation to go to the Bears. They’re saying a tag and trade for ARob is very likely and if so, why would you want to go to a team that just traded away their top WR

I don't think he wants to go regardless of ARob. It's not like we have a top 5 WR here either. I think he just has his mind set on Reich, a dome, a good OL, and a stable FO.

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m good with rolling with Eason or Trading for Wentz.    Rolling Eason is a win win for the team IMO. You could find your long term answer at the position or end up with a Top 10 pick. I don’t

If this happens at any point today, I'm off his back. I'll delete all my negative posts about him lol.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think he wants to go regardless of ARob. It's not like we have a top 5 WR here either. I think he just has his mind set on Reich, a dome, a good OL, and a stable FO.

and an up and coming running game

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Who would want to go the Bears in their current situation 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Alright i have to head home from work now but by the time i get back, i want you all to have done your homework, clean your rooms and announce the trade has gone through. 

To the Bears? Sure, I'll gladly announce that

screen media films GIF

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm gonna start by saying I agree with you. 100 Percent. 

That said, I have to play devils advocate and asked what changed between 2017 and 2018.  The answer isnt simply that Reich left.  The answer is Wentz was a one year wonder and has flamed out. Which is why i dont want him.  He's never really been any good. 

Yep...it's definitely a very real possibility that he was a one-year wonder. His career progression to date has ended up below where he was as a rookie.

His rookie season (2016) and this past season (2020) are eerily similar (actually he was even worse last season than he was a rookie). As somebody who probably gives too much credence to stats at times...I can't think really think of a recent example of a legit NFL QB who followed a remotely similar career path. 

Even a late bloomer like Tannehill was never as bad as he was a rookie season. Brees had a down year before FA...but it wasn't as bad as his first season...and he was one season removed from the Pro Bowl when he hit FA.

You know what other QB did what Wentz did? Nick Foles. Foles was a Pro Bowler in his 2nd season...and by the end of his 4th season...he had regressed beyond his rookie season. The next two years he was a backup...before his incredible run. And despite by biased love for a fellow Arizona Wildcat, even I can admit that he's not a viable starting QB in the NFL.

JB sort of did it as well. Except his peak was handful of games and the regression was swift.

There are just a lot of questions with Wentz...and Reich just seems like too simple of an answer.

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's a bit of a strawman argument. Nobody said they don't want Wentz because he wants to play in Indy instead of CHI. Of course I want players that want to be Colts. But let's not pretend that a big part of that isn't the HC (not to mention they just hired his buddy).

But I have no issue that he wants to come here.  

But at one point (probably not that long ago)...Wentz also wanted to be an Eagle. In fact, he signed a massive contract to play a long time there. And in less than two years...that relationship seemed to deteriorate beyond repair (at least as he sees it). So my issue is more about why he wants to leave PHI...and how he is going about it.

And are the Colts immune to him having another falling out? Probably...but we don't know. I am sure he and Pederson had a great relationship earlier in his career.

But this is only one side of this. The other side is performance...and he was awful on the field last season...and hasn't been a great QB since 2017. Thinking that Indy and Reich will easily fix that (on top of whatever else might be going on) seems like a risky proposition.

Apparently, you didn’t read the post I responded to.   The poster I responded to pointed to the fact that Wentz wanted to be a Colt as a bad thing, not good.

So, Strawman my rear end!

And the people who don’t want Wentz are the ones who choose to believe the Wentz is a bad guy narrative.   They choose to ignore or discount the fact that Reich knows Wentz and knows Philly and still wants Wentz.   There’s a lot of “I know better than Reich and Ballard”going on around here.   

I appreciate that this is a fans message board and we all want to come here and express our opinions, but after a while some if this “I know better than Ballard and Reich” gets a little old.   

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Superman said:

tenor.gif?itemid=18284937

He really hasn't been that good when you look at the stats.  2017 was his best year, 2018, he was servicable for a while, then fell off and he has a career TD/INT ratio of nearly 2:1. 

Just now, coming on strong said:

les bowen is a real eagles reporter he knows the truth

yeah... we saw that 9 hours ago, but still nothing concrete. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently, you didn’t read the post I responded to.   The poster I responded to pointed to the fact that Wentz wanted to be a Colt as a bad thing, not good.

And the people who don’t want Wentz are the ones who choose to believe the Wentz is a bad guy narrative.   They choose to ignore or discount the fact that Reich knows Wentz and knows Philly and still wants Wentz.   There’s a lot of “I know better than Reich and Ballard”going on around here.   

I appreciate that this is a fans message board and we all want to come here and express our opinions, but after a while some if this “I know better than Ballard and Reich” gets a little old.   

To the bolded. This is false.  I do not, have not and will never want Wentz on the Colts.  My reasons have nothing to do with a bad teammate/guy narrative. Because honestly, I don't think Ballard or Reich would go for it if that were true.

My reasons and the reasons I have seen most people on here say they don't want Wentz is as followed:

1: He's broken, beat up, physically and mentally.

2: His contract is stupid expensive and really should be getting him PLUS a pick just to take on that salary.

3: He was benched and still the Eagles think he's worth a 1 or more. Heck no

4: His play, has never really been all that great consistently. He had one good year, in 2017, an ok year in 2018 and the wheels got loose in 2019 and then fell off completely last year.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

My reasons have nothing to do with a bad teammate/guy narrative. Because honestly, I don't think Ballard or Reich would go for it if that were true.

We agree on this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I still don’t think anything happens until about a week out from the draft. The Eagles want more, and the longer they wait to pull the trigger the longer they chance getting that better offer. 

It will more than likely do the opposite 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Who would want to go the Bears in their current situation 

I wouldn't want to go to the Bears anyway if I'm being honest (current situation aside) unless I was a D player.

• Like 1
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

It will do the opposite 

Maybe, but at some point everyone’s focus is going to turn from making trades to just how in the hell they’re going to properly scout this draft. Once that happens making trades are going to be way down the list of priorities. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Maybe, but at some point everyone’s focus is going to turn from making trades to just how in the hell they’re going to properly scout this draft. Once that happens making trades are going to be way down the list of priorities. 

They have been doing both

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Strawman my rear end...haha what.

Saying we think we know better than Ballard and Reich is another strawman for your rear end though.

We are just expressing our opinions on a discussion forum. Any opinion that doesn't agree with the GM or HC doesn't mean we think we know better...we just disagree.

At the end of the day...it's also just their opinion as well (however more qualified it may be). But we don't have to appeal to their authority every time they make a move. If we did that...this wouldn't be a discussion forum...it would be a cheerleading site.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I still don’t think anything happens until about a week out from the draft. The Eagles want more, and the longer they wait to pull the trigger the longer they chance getting that better offer. 

They are probably unlikely to wait until then to pay Wentz £10 mill and then trade him!

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Or the less they get offered...

Teams can decide to move on because they don’t want to wait that long and they decide to go all in on other options. Some teams aren’t going to play hard ball.

Can go both ways I guess.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe Ballard then brings in Nelson Agholor at WR.  He's a FA who had a nice year with the Raiders.  Another familiar face and target.  He won't cost a lot either.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

i disagree, this will be done prior to march 17th. Has too, they dont even have the 10 million to pay him. they're gonna have this wrapped up way before then.  My guess is the latest will be the 27th of this month.  Simply because that is when they have to start getting real serious about solving their 70+ million over the cap issue

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I agree...from a strategical standpoint. I don't know if that is when that will happen...but PHI should have no real urgency to just trade him for what they can get. They are still a month out from that roster bonus. And even that roster bonus is just $10M. If they can accommodate it on the cap...then that makes Wentz a more attractive trade target because his gtd money is now $10M less.

Things change fast in the NFL. The teams in on Wentz now are not necessarily the teams that could be in on him in the future. PHI can just let it play out and see what happens. At this point...it's really just about whether they can handle that $10M roster bonus.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the biggest aspect that those who DON'T WANT Wentz don't seem to fully appreciate....

Frank knows Wentz and wants him.

Frank knows Philly and understands how that city can be.

Frank believes that the Colts culture and locker room can help Wentz.     So does Chris Ballard.

We also know that Frank and Payton discussed several quarterback options. I don’t think it’s likely Frank would want Wentz for the colts if Payton didn’t think it was a good option. Obviously that’s all speculation on my part. So at least in my mind Peyton gave this option the okay. Haha 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

No problem. I wasn't really aware of the overall situation...I have mostly just been very weary of what I saw on tape last season.

But after doing some digging...it's hard to know what to make of all of that. Relationships with players do break down with most orgs...it happens.

But I am not really sure what makes PHI at fault here (at least until they drafted Hurts and put a target on his back). From reports I have gathered, they treated him incredibly well. They gave him influence in the org, gave him a massive contract (after he had finished the season on IR again), promoted his friend Taylor, helped get Foles out of the picture, fired Pederson, hired Sirianni.

If anything, they might have been too easy on him.

And after all of that, to request a trade just seems like he is about one person. It also makes me think he has lost the locker room as well, which would help explain why there's no going back even if the FO and HC still wanted him as a starter. 

What happens in Indy if he struggles? Or even worse...if some of these "reported" issues persist? Are the coaches (including Reich) going to protect him? Are the other leaders in the locker room going to sort him out? Neither of those sound ideal. So do we just think everything will magically be fine and he will become a top 10 QB again?

I just have a lot of questions about his performance last season...and even more now because of the off-field/locker room stuff. Reich obviously knows him...but he is three years removed from that locker room. When he left, they had just won a SB...everybody loved everybody. I will just have to trust their judgement on this if it happens. 

Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

3 minutes ago, HoosierHero said:

We also know that Frank and Payton discussed several quarterback options. I don’t think it’s likely Frank would want Wentz for the colts if Payton didn’t think it was a good option. Obviously that’s all speculation on my part. So at least in my mind Peyton gave this option the okay. Haha 

who's Payton? Or do you mean Peyton, as in Peyton Manning

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, but honestly, while I love JT, I think most RBs will do well behind our OL.

I agree to a point, but overall I am of the mind that I would never give a rb a second contract because they usually decline after the first contract. Perfect example is Zeke Elliott who is a big cap hit and isn’t playing to his contract anymore

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I agree...from a strategical standpoint. I don't know if that is when that will happen...but PHI should have no real urgency to just trade him for what they can get. They are still a month out from that roster bonus. And even that roster bonus is just $10M. If they can accommodate it on the cap...then that makes Wentz a more attractive trade target because his gtd money is now $10M less.

Things change fast in the NFL. The teams in on Wentz now are not necessarily the teams that could be in on him in the future. PHI can just let it play out and see what happens. At this point...it's really just about whether they can handle that $10M roster bonus.

they're some 70 million OVER the cap. pretty sure if they pay that roster bonus, it increases their dead money for when they trade him after that, but i'd have to look again to be sure. 

10 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Yep, I'd love to add Mack back in to the equation  to if he is affordable 

Coming off his injury, he should be very affordable on a one year deal. 

Just hope he's able to come back regardless where he ends up.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It limits the carries(possibilities) for NH and limits the O

I don't mind NH getting less standard carries. 

If Mack is back healthy, he's easily the best zone rusher we have.

That's not to say JT won't be better in time, or isn't better now in terms of power runs... 

• Shive locked and unpinned this topic