Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i disagree, this will be done prior to march 17th. Has too, they dont even have the 10 million to pay him. they're gonna have this wrapped up way before then.  My guess is the latest will be the 27th of this month.  Simply because that is when they have to start getting real serious about solving their 70+ million over the cap issue

For some reason I was thinking that his roster bonus was due in June instead of March. Someone else has one in June that ain’t gonna get it, I just can’t remember who now. haha

It’ll definitely get done by the time that roster bonus is due, but I just don’t see it hopping in the express lane and getting done too quickly before that. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To the bolded. This is false.  I do not, have not and will never want Wentz on the Colts.  My reasons have nothing to do with a bad teammate/guy narrative. Because honestly, I don't think Ballard or Reich would go for it if that were true.

My reasons and the reasons I have seen most people on here say they don't want Wentz is as followed:

1: He's broken, beat up, physically and mentally.

2: His contract is stupid expensive and really should be getting him PLUS a pick just to take on that salary.

3: He was benched and still the Eagles think he's worth a 1 or more. Heck no

4: His play, has never really been all that great consistently. He had one good year, in 2017, an ok year in 2018 and the wheels got loose in 2019 and then fell off completely last year.

It’s false FOR YOU.   And it may be false for a few others as well.   I should’ve been more specific with my words.  My bad. 

But for the majority of the Anti-Wentz crowd, it’s is not only accepted, it is weaponized as evidence of why the Colts shouldn’t trade for him. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

When Roseman finally has to throw in the towel and give him to us I bet he takes a real good look around to see if he can file tampering charges... 

I’d honestly be surprised if those rules haven’t been violated in one way or another during this whole process. :dunno:

By who?

59 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Strawman my rear end...haha what.

Saying we think we know better than Ballard and Reich is another strawman for your rear end though.

We are just expressing our opinions on a discussion forum. Any opinion that doesn't agree with the GM or HC doesn't mean we think we know better...we just disagree.

At the end of the day...it's also just their opinion as well (however more qualified it may be). But we don't have to appeal to their authority every time they make a move. If we did that...this wouldn't be a discussion forum...it would be a cheerleading site.

Fair enough...

I’m not looking for a cheer leading site.  
I enjoy forums like this as much as anyone.  Heck, I wouldn’t stick around thru tough days like yesterday if I didn’t enjoy interacting with so many here. 

Perhaps it’s due to the snail’s pace nature of the negotiations.   It’s taken weeks on Wentz.   And this comes after weeks of waiting on Stafford.   We’re all trying to find some golden nugget of info that might reveal some truth about a possible deal one way or another.   

There’s a lot of pounding the table for ones argument.   It can get a little exhausting.   Looking forward to the end of this quarterback pursuit so we can move on to the next big thing. 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

When Roseman finally has to throw in the towel and give him to us I bet he takes a real good look around to see if he can file tampering charges... 

I’d honestly be surprised if those rules haven’t been violated in one way or another during this whole process. :dunno:

The sports media didn't do much to champion the Bears cause that's for sure.  They constantly pushed the GM and the Coach on the hot seat narrative.  Wentz and his agent can see the risks going there. 

17 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

By whom?

26 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

For some reason I was thinking that his roster bonus was due in June instead of March. Someone else has one in June that ain’t gonna get it, I just can’t remember who now. haha

It’ll definitely get done by the time that roster bonus is due, but I just don’t see it hopping in the express lane and getting done too quickly before that. 

Gotcha.

the reason I say end of this month at the latest is because the eagles have just under 70 million over the cap and that’s when RFAs and expiring FA and teams can start to talk. At that point, they will have about 2 weeks to figure out who to cut and who to try to restructure and get under the cap. It’s not gonna be easy. So even though they barely save money by trading Wentz, they will save 850,000 which could mean the world to them. 

they could drag it out until June 2nd, which would allow them to spread out their dead money hit some but it actually cost them more in dead money

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

By whom?

Reich and Wentz. Or Wentz and anyone. But most likely Reich. I wouldn’t be willing to bet that he and Wentz haven’t had some kind of contact in recent weeks that would be a violation. If not Reich there’s gotta be someone else here he’s been in contact with. 

5 hours ago, #12. said:

Your options are very limited.  You only have a few realistic options.  It's not as though you have the #2 pick and Frank is saying, no, let's go with Wentz instead.  If it doesn't work, I don't see it affecting Frank all that much.  They probably just move on to Eason.

Eason is one of my least favorite options, at least for this year.  I would rather go with a free agent or draft pick.  We do have options like Winston and Fitzpatrick or maybe Lance and Mac Jones.

Fitzmagic is a legit option for us if the trades fail

55 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Why would you think that?

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Reich and Wentz. Or Wentz and anyone. But most likely Reich. I wouldn’t be willing to bet that he and Wentz haven’t had some kind of contact in recent weeks that would be a violation. If not Reich there’s gotta be someone else here he’s been in contact with. 

Doubtful 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Doubtful 

I don’t doubt it for a moment. He wants out of Philly bad enough I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to learn he sent some long late night text to Frank about wanting to be here. He’s been in contact with someone here.

Ballard isn’t going to hold his offer on the line with a player reportedly not wanting to go here or there for whatever reason on the blind assumption that if we in fact pay that price we’re not going to wind up learning he would have liked to have gone elsewhere. 

There aren’t all these ties between him and us, and us offering this price as a blind shot in the dark. He’s been in contact with someone who has relayed the appropriate messages to the appropriate people. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honestly I would bet there some back channel dialog is going on some how. Perhaps even Eagles approved or moderated.

I said a few weeks ago I wonder if the eagles would allow the colts to actually talk to Wentz. But then I thought about it and I am not sure why they would allow that. If it went bad it could cost them in the trade or cost them a trade partner.

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t doubt it for a moment. He wants out of Philly bad enough I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to learn he sent some long late night text to Frank about wanting to be here. He’s been in contact with someone here.

Ballard isn’t going to hold his offer on the line with a player reportedly not wanting to go here or there for whatever reason on the blind assumption that if we in fact pay that price we’re not going to wind up learning he would have liked to have gone elsewhere. 

There aren’t all these ties between him and us, and us offering this price as a blind shot in the dark. He’s been in contact with someone who has relayed the appropriate messages to the appropriate people. 

His agent. Is it still tampering if the agent does it?

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

And this guy is who exactly? Some random dude posting on Twitter?

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Technically yes. Even if Wentz reached out and no one responded, it’s technically tampering

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said a few weeks ago I wonder if the eagles would allow the colts to actually talk to Wentz. But then I thought about it and I am not sure why they would allow that. If it went bad it could cost them in the trade or cost them a trade partner.

Could be a moderated conversation. There are situations where the Eagles would want the two to communicate. They just need to make sure they know the Qs and As before hand. For instance, Chicago will want to ensure Wentz is at least moderately OK with a move to Chicago, and would want to likely talk to him. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes. But Wentz is all about this relationship with Frank. How many times have we heard it described as a father/son type?

He wouldn’t want to deal with an issue of this magnitude through indirect channels. Wentz has said something to Frank. I’d bet it. Even if Frank didn’t respond, they have that deep relationship where they make sure to be on the same page. 

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

They were accurate it seems when it came to coach hires

I've never known them to be horrible, but I don't pay that much attention to them to be honest. I know a lot of people listen to them, so they can't be all that bad.

A year with Fitzmagic might be interesting. I'm not really buying that JB won't be back in some capacity. Yet anyway. IMO the QB market will be a glut, and he's not going to get the offers he wants (both money wise and somewhere he could compete for a starter's job). And if he doesn't, he'd prefer to come back here. The only way I can see a situation (right now) where someone's been told JB won't be back, is if the Colts have already made the decision to go with Eason as backup. Which would not surprise me though, just think it's too early to communicate.

2 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

Acquire  Fitzpatric through free agency. Dump Brissett. Move Eason out of seclusion to first backup. Draft Mac Jones and suit him up to eventually take over as the colt future starter. Please do not leave him inactive every week like they did Eason.

AnchoredRipeLeveret-max-1mb.gif

6 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

Acquire  Fitzpatric through free agency. Dump Brissett. Move Eason out of seclusion to first backup. Draft Mac Jones and suit him up to eventually take over as the colt future starter. Please do not leave him inactive every week like they did Eason.

2oL.gif

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Gotcha.

the reason I say end of this month at the latest is because the eagles have just under 70 million over the cap and that’s when RFAs and expiring FA and teams can start to talk. At that point, they will have about 2 weeks to figure out who to cut and who to try to restructure and get under the cap. It’s not gonna be easy. So even though they barely save money by trading Wentz, they will save 850,000 which could mean the world to them. 

they could drag it out until June 2nd, which would allow them to spread out their dead money hit some but it actually cost them more in dead money

Thr biggest reason he will be gone is that Laurie has to pay him 10 million out of pocket if he is still an Eagle by March 19th I beleive. Thats real money not monopoly money. He won't pay that

What if there was a person (coach) that really was being an * to Wentz? I'm not advocating one way or another, but we seemed to have given a pass to Pat M who admitted later that he couldn't stand to be in the building with our last GM. 

There are no facts yet (if ever), but one constant.....our coach, and GM. I'm willing to bet that Frank knows Carson better than any one of these click begging tweeters. Certainly more than any fan here. 

21 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

I can get behind it.  I think the pecking order might be Ryan, Mac and then Jacob.  

I like this better than trading for Carson Wentz, the Eagles would keep him if they thought he was going to be good again

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I can get behind it.  I think the pecking order might be Ryan, Mac and then Jacob.  

I like this better than trading for Carson Wentz, the Eagles would keep him if they thought he was going to be good again

They went all-in on Wentz by hiring Sirianni, so it's not like they didn't try to keep him....

For me, I go Fitzmagic and Eason without Jones. If I'm going to litter the roster with another non-1st round QB, it would be Trask, who IMO is more well rounded than Jones, and more of a gamer.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Did he request a trade? I'm not really clear on that part

All the reports suggest the Eagles got rid of Pederson, and brought in the most-Wentz-friendly HC (Sirianni) they could find to keep him. And he still said "I want to leave"... 

I kind of feel sorry for Sirianni lol. IMO, they would not have hired him had they known Wentz wouldn't stay. And now Sirianni won't get much for Wentz, and Philly is in bad cap situation. At least he'll have low expectations for a few years, and perhaps get a decent QB with that 6th pick. Regardless, he'll have to earn it. If he turns them around, he'll deserve a lot of props.

Archived