Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Is Reich the best Colts coach since Dungy?

RockThatBlue

Is Reich the best Colts coach since Dungy?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is Reich the best since Dungy?

• Yes
    • No

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dungy

Reich

Marchibroda

Caldwell (Peyton Manning)

Arians

All the rest

I would go:

#1 Dungy

Reich as well at #2 already

#3 Marchibroda, who can forget 1995

#4 Ron Meyer, I would put Meyer here. We won the division in 1987 with him.

#5 Arians - Only coached 12 games so he is 5th IMO.

-Caldwell wasn't bad but he rode Manning all year in 2009 IMO. I think he and Chuck are pretty even. Chuck rode Andrew from 2012-2014.

To help in ranking coaches:

1984 - Frank Kush  4-12 record

1985-1986 - Rod Dowhower  5-24 record

1986-1991 - Ron Meyer  36-35 record, 0-1 playoffs

1991 - Rick Venturi  1-10 record

1992-1995  Ted Marchibroda  30-34 record, 2-1 playoffs

1996-1997  Lindy Infante  12-20 record, 0-1 playoffs

1998-2001  Jim Mora  64-32 record, 0-2 playoffs (playoffs???)

2002-2008  Tony Dungy  85-27 record, 7-6 playoffs, 1 superbowl win

2009-2011  Jim Caldwell  26-22 record, 2-2 playoffs, 1 superbowl loss

2012-2017  Chuck Pagano  44-40 record, 3-3 playoffs

2012*  Bruce Ariens  9-3 record (while Pagano was on leave)

2018-2019  Frank Reich  14-8 record, 1-1 playoffs (so far)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would go:

#1 Dungy

Reich as well at #2 already

#3 Marchibroda, who can forget 1995

#4 Ron Meyer, I would put Meyer here. We won the division in 1987 with him.

#5 Arians - Only coached 12 games so he is 5th IMO.

-Caldwell wasn't bad but he rode Manning all year in 2009 IMO. I think he and Chuck are pretty even. Chuck rode Andrew from 2012-2014.

That's why I combined Caldwell and peyton.   Lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

To help in ranking coaches:

1984 - Frank Kush  4-12 record

1985-1986 - Rod Dowhower  5-24 record

1986-1991 - Ron Meyer  36-35 record, 0-1 playoffs

1991 - Rick Venturi  1-10 record

1992-1995  Ted Marchibroda  30-34 record, 2-1 playoffs

1996-1997  Lindy Infante  12-20 record, 0-1 playoffs

1998-2001  Jim Mora  64-32 record, 0-2 playoffs (playoffs???)

2002-2008  Tony Dungy  85-27 record, 7-6 playoffs, 1 superbowl win

2009-2011  Jim Caldwell  26-22 record, 2-2 playoffs, 1 superbowl loss

2012-2017  Chuck Pagano  44-40 record, 3-3 playoffs

2012*  Bruce Ariens  9-3 record (while Pagano was on leave)

2018-2019  Frank Reich  14-8 record, 1-1 playoffs (so far)

Mora was a lot like Meyer IMO, fiery and was ok as coach. Mora was actually 32-32 as Colts headcoach but thanks for posting those numbers :thmup:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coming on strong said:

He's way better then overrated Dungy.  Dungy had manning in his prime Harrison Wayne clark stokley  . A good o line edge addai   . Freeney mathis Bethea  bob Sanders.  And only has one ring give  reich those teams he would have 3 rings .     Reich is winning without a top ten QB and only Hilton and winning .

Dungy didn't have a decent defense or an all pro offensive line either. (not to mention the Colts terrible special teams play either)

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dungy didn't have a decent defense or an all pro offensive line either. (not to mention the Colts terrible special teams play either)

Never liked Purnell.. That was just a random thought.

If we had ever truly found that one dominant interior DL guy that we were always missing, I feel like we would have run off a few more SB's. Oversimplified of course, but if a guy like Simon had worked out, it would have been a Patriots type dynasty I feel.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread topic.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, The Peytonator said:

Need a few more years but he is well on his way. Best this Dungy had going for him was longevity, his well respected demeanor, and a lot of regular season wins, but for all the talent they had on the team, he won one SB. That’s an overrated coach and I was glad to have him. 

Reich on the other hand is in his second year and has shown no sign of regress, this after losing his franchise QB two weeks into the year. The man is a stud and I’m so glad Snake McDaniels bailed. Frank will beat you in  a thousand different ways, has lots of personnel groupings and seems to understand role players better than the other guys. 

Not to mention the gargantuan balls that he has to carry between his legs every day. Can’t be hard to move around so well carrying that much weight in your pants every day. 

Here’s to another 30 years of Reich/Ballard rocking the Horseshoe. 

You know people call some things risk taking that I don't think should be considered a risk.

Like the 4th and 1 in I think the Falcons game.  Game situation and everything to me said that the chances of converting on 4th and 1 was much much higher than the chances of stopping them from scoring after punting.

Odds of converting on a 4th and 1 with a QB sneak NFL wide are close to 90%.  Now when you consider that we have a big QB and one of the best OL's in the NFL that has to bump the chances up to like 95% chance or close to it.  

There is no way that our chances of stopping the Falcons from scoring after a punt where anything near that high.  Given that they where on a roll before that, they have a good vet QB and possibly the best receiver in the NFL and I think they would have had like 4 minutes at that point, I would say the odds of making the stop at that time where probably less than 25%

That's not being risky, that's being smart.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

You know people call some things risk taking that I don't think should be considered a risk.

Like the 4th and 1 in I think the Falcons game.  Game situation and everything to me said that the chances of converting on 4th and 1 was much much higher than the chances of stopping them from scoring after punting.

Odds of converting on a 4th and 1 with a QB sneak NFL wide are close to 90%.  Now when you consider that we have a big QB and one of the best OL's in the NFL that has to bump the chances up to like 95% chance or close to it.  

There is no way that our chances of stopping the Falcons from scoring after a punt where anything near that high.  Given that they where on a roll before that, they have a good vet QB and possibly the best receiver in the NFL and I think they would have had like 4 minutes at that point, I would say the odds of making the stop at that time where probably less than 25%

That's not being risky, that's being smart.  

It’s definitely smart but a lot of coaches fail to understand such a basic concept. Reich has a great understanding of analytics and when you should take chances versus when you shouldn’t. Going for it on fourth down on that pitch to Mack this weekend was a great example even though it didn’t work. I even liked the play call, Houston just made a good defensive play. 

I also liked that that we were throwing on first downs and running on second. The analytics show that the conventional wisdom of running on first and throwing on second is backwards. Frank has started to pick up on that and he really displayed it over the weekend. It was a sexy game plan offensively by a great coach. 

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

that is not true at all. first off only nelson is a pro bowler on the line.   glenn and saturday were probowlers for the colts and the offensive line rankings for the colts between 2002 and 2006 were very high . 

second the colts defense in 2005 was ranked number two overall in points given up per game 7th in creating turn overs .    2002 they were 7th in points  .   those teams had good players on defense between 2002 and 2006    cato june pro bowler mathis freeney sanders bethea  they had a lot of talent the problem was playing cover 2 every play is not good against the run and defenses can game plan against you when they know what your gonna run.  a good coach mixes up coverage .   the colts got burned by mahomes last year playing cover 2 they learned there lesson went to man . that is what good coaches do dungy let manning control the offense then just played cover 2 on defense  . 

20 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

It’s definitely smart but a lot of coaches fail to understand such a basic concept. Reich has a great understanding of analytics and when you should take chances versus when you shouldn’t. Going for it on fourth down on that pitch to Mack this weekend was a great example even though it didn’t work. I even liked the play call, Houston just made a good defensive play. 

I also liked that that we were throwing on first downs and running on second. The analytics show that the conventional wisdom of running on first and throwing on second is backwards. Frank has started to pick up on that and he really displayed it over the weekend. It was a sexy game plan offensively by a great coach. 

I was ok with that call but not as firm behind it.  The call against the Falcons was 100% the right call.  It was the end of the game so it was essentially a question of make the 1 yard or stop them from scoring.  They also used the QB sneak which statistically NFL wide works about 90% of the time.  It's very difficult to stop even if you are prepped for it.

The call against the Texans was ok but it wasn't an end game scenario and put them in field goal range right away.  I was less happy about the play call running to the outside.  

Granted the 1 yard against the Texans was a longer yard than it was against the Falcons.  

On 10/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, coming on strong said:

that is not true at all. first off only nelson is a pro bowler on the line.   glenn and saturday were probowlers for the colts and the offensive line rankings for the colts between 2002 and 2006 were very high . 

second the colts defense in 2005 was ranked number two overall in points given up per game 7th in creating turn overs .    2002 they were 7th in points  .   those teams had good players on defense between 2002 and 2006    cato june pro bowler mathis freeney sanders bethea  they had a lot of talent the problem was playing cover 2 every play is not good against the run and defenses can game plan against you when they know what your gonna run.  a good coach mixes up coverage .   the colts got burned by mahomes last year playing cover 2 they learned there lesson went to man . that is what good coaches do dungy let manning control the offense then just played cover 2 on defense  . 

Just how many play off games did Manning have a lead in or had the opportunity to get a win in his time here? 

The defense rankings do not tell the whole story of how bad they were during the Manning years. 

The special teams play in itself was a joke. Manning would get a lead just to see the kickoff not covered good enough. Then the defense would give the game up because they couldn't hold a lead. 

The Colts wouldn't have the one super bowl win had the Colts faced any other NFC team in the playoffs besides the Bears and Rex Grossman. 

You may take regular season raking and numbers that a lot of them were put up against poor teams to judge but you are not seeing the bigger picture. The reality was this Colts teams sucked in the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts wouldn't have the one super bowl win had the Colts faced any other NFC team in the playoffs besides the Bears and Rex Grossman. 

If Colts were in the NFC, the Saints would have been a hand full, but the Colts are in the AFC.

Now, the Super Bowl. Do people not remember the Bears were 13 - 3 that year, and scored the same amount of offensive points (tied for 2nd in the whole NFL) as the Colts?  Also, the Bears version of Cover/Tampa 2 was 3rd in the league in points allowed, while the Colts Tampa 2 was 23rd?

I feel the rain in Miami w/ Rex small hands (QB measure) really helped do him in, for that game and thereafter.

21 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Colts were in the NFC, the Saints would have been a hand full, but the Colts are in the AFC.

Now, the Super Bowl. Do people not remember the Bears were 13 - 3 that year, and scored the same amount of offensive points (tied for 2nd in the whole NFL) as the Colts?  Also, the Bears version of Cover/Tampa 2 was 3rd in the league in points allowed, while the Colts Tampa 2 was 23rd?

I feel the rain in Miami w/ Rex small hands (QB measure) really helped do him in, for that game and thereafter.

I also thought the best thing to have happen was for the Bears to start the game off with a return TD. It kind of ensured that it wouldn’t happen again, such as in a really critical part of the game which could flip momentum. I might sound crazy with that take, but I’ve always believed that

Caldwell & Pagano sucked Arians with his deep ball was awesome if you disregard the fact that the was the beginning of 12 holding the ball to long which ultimately led to his early retirement Dungy was a good leader of Men not the greatest Coach he was brought in to give Manning some help he would get the Colts the Lead only to watch the defense fail time & again .

Tom Moore deserves all the credit not Dungy the Offense was running on all cylinders ..

Frank Reich with out Manning & Luck has made the Colts Winners the offense & defense both look good we have a great offensive line & a running game with Ballard & Reich at the helm we have been given a gift an ex QB who is what we thought he was an offensive mind that is more than capable to get our Colts to the next level  ,

Tony Dungy had a great playoff run but Manning deserved better as did we fans once again Tom Moore deserves all the credit .