Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded DT Hassan Ridgeway to the Eagles [Merge]

MTC

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Wait, so we come out of this draft with one less D-Line than going in?

NCF isn't going to like this.

Is it really down one guy if he wasn't even any good? That's my logic honestly.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

That leaves only 5 players left from Grigson drafts:

2012 - 1/1  Andrew Luck

2012 - 3/92  T.Y. Hilton

2015 - 4/109 Clayton Geathers

2016 - 1/18  Ryan Kelly

2016 - 3/82 Le'Raven Clark

Honestly, only three of those are on the after next year. Might even be sooner.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

How many games did he dress this year

I can't lie I honestly don't remember him doing much of anything this year.

Im not mad at Ballard for cutting bait. I'd rather that then keeping an inferior player simply because you drafted him.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

He never got consistent reps. I always thought he had ability but barely got to play. I hope he gets a shot in Philly.

IMO, he usually played well when he got the chance.  Liked his ability to get into the backfield.  Not sure why he didn't get more of a chance.  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 3:50 PM, shastamasta said:

Hmmm...it's a shame he never amounted to anything. Liked him coming out of college. Maybe Ballard is targeting Willis. 

Ballard said in the post-draft press conference when asked about not really addressing the interior DL in the draft that he thinks we are very strong on the inside.

Key points were: (1) He thinks Autry is a very good player, (2) He likes Hunt and thought by bringing him back it eliminated a need to make a major move on the IDL, (3) He thinks Grover Stewart is going to make a big leap this year, and (4) He likes Tyquan Lewis' ability to play both inside and outside.

My thinking is there is something about Ridgeway that the coaches/FO didn't like how he fit our scheme or maybe he work ethic, etc.... I thought he got pretty good penetration when he had time to get into a groove... but the past two seasons we've had 8 and 9 DL on our final roster, respectively and we already have quite a bit of competition and talent there right now..... I'm bolding who I think are the top 9 DL on our current roster (assuming we don't make any more moves to acquire other DL):

Justin Houston, DE

Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE

Carroll Phillips, DE

Jabaal Sheard, DE

Kemoko Turay, DE

Anthony Winbush, DE

Margus Hunt, DT

Grover Stewart, DT

DeShawn Williams, DT

Jihad Ward, DT

Denico Autry, DT/DE

Tyquan Lewis, DT/DE

Gerri Green, DE/LB

Chances are, Ridgeway would have not made our final 53 anyway, even if we don't pursue someone like Gerald Willis....  

Kelly has had trouble staying healthy over the course of a full-season and we probably need depth/competition a little more at interior OL than DL right now.  Ballard probably thought Javon Patterson either (a) had a more likely chance of making our 53, or (b) realizes we can stash Patterson on the practice squad for a year or 2, which we wouldn't be able to do with Ridgeway.

Overall, I like the move.

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard said in the post-draft press conference when asked about not really addressing the interior DL in the draft that he thinks we are very strong on the inside.

Key points were: (1) He thinks Autry is a very good player, (2) He likes Hunt and thought by bringing him back it eliminated a need to make a major move on the IDL, (3) He thinks Grover Stewart is going to make a big leap this year, and (4) He likes Tyquan Lewis' ability to play both inside and outside.

My thinking is there is something about Ridgeway that the coaches/FO didn't like how he fit our scheme or maybe he work ethic, etc.... I thought he got pretty good penetration when he had time to get into a groove... but the past two seasons we've had 8 and 9 DL on our final roster, respectively and we already have quite a bit of competition and talent there right now..... I'm bolding who I think are the top 9 DL on our current roster (assuming we don't make any more moves to acquire other DL):

Justin Houston, DE

Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE

Carroll Phillips, DE

Jabaal Sheard, DE

Kemoko Turay, DE

Anthony Winbush, DE

Margus Hunt, DT

Grover Stewart, DT

DeShawn Williams, DT

Jihad Ward, DT

Denico Autry, DT/DE

Tyquan Lewis, DT/DE

Gerri Green, DE/LB

Chances are, Ridgeway would have not made our final 53 anyway, even if we don't pursue someone like Gerald Willis....  

Kelly has had trouble staying healthy over the course of a full-season and we probably need depth/competition a little more at interior OL than DL right now.  Ballard probably thought Javon Patterson either (a) had a more likely chance of making our 53, or (b) realizes we can stash Patterson on the practice squad for a year or 2, which we wouldn't be able to do with Ridgeway.

Overall, I like the move.

I like the move too...especially since he didn't really have a role on the team.

I was never "all-in" on drafting DTs in this class...because the ones I liked wouldn't be there (and they weren't). So I believe them when they say they like their IDL depth over who was available.

Plus, from their moves this offseason, it is clear that the edge is where they are focusing their pass rush improvements (which is what I wanted to see).

Still, I think trading Ridgeway definitely intentionally opened up some flexibility for the IDL. A lot of teams addressed DT in this draft, so other players will become available, either through trade or release. I expect the Colts to grab at least one (who could make the roster) before TC. I would love for that DT to be McCoy...as a win-now move and to help mentor other young players. But it could be several different players, depending on how everything shakes out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The fact that they traded him is a strong indication by itself. Add to it the fact that Ridgeway only played in five games and got 65 defensive snaps last year, and it's pretty obvious that the staff wasn't a fan. Why, I don't know, but that doesn't change the fact that he wasn't going to be on the final roster. 

In that respect, I have no problem with the trade. My main question is why they didn't like him, because I thought he played well when he got his (rare) chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He never got consistent reps. I always thought he had ability but barely got to play. I hope he gets a shot in Philly.

Yeah, he was one of my favorite Grigson picks... not that it says much... I thought he was disruptive whenever he played but he just never really got consistent playing time.