Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

Just now, The Oopty Oop said:

Let's try pulling off the same deal, even a little more money for Suh and let's get ready to watch the show next season.

Suh is a UT not a NT. We already have Autry to play the UT

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You’re correct...    but in fairness, Suh actually did play the nose this season for the Rams.    

To the best of my knowledge,  first time in his career. 

We don't have an arron donald to make that work

42 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

correct, he has had nagging knee injuries, also,  he's never played DE in a 4-3, and is 30 years-old, but Houston believes with his lower load of responsibilities at end, he could be effective.  Ballard played it smart with an aging veteran w/knee issues.....don't offer a long-term deal....keep it short-n-sweet.  I think we did ok with this one!

His knee injury was almost 3 years ago.. In the last 2 years he's logged over 2000 snaps and performed at a high level. Your right, he technically hasn't played as a 4-3 DE but he's played with his hand in the dirt ~70% of his snaps. We just made his job easier in that he won't be asked to drop in coverage like he's used to. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We don't have an arron donald to make that work

No...   but he might make whoever we have next to him better than he’s been.

That’s possible. 

That said...   I’m nit interested in Suh in our locker room and on our sideline st all.   Don’t want him with the Colts.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No...   but he might make whoever we have next to him better than he’s been.

That’s possible. 

That said...   I’m nit interested in Suh in our locker room and on our sideline st all.   Don’t want him with the Colts.  

Honestly I think he played the nose just because he wanted to play for the rams not because he wanted to play the nose. Hes a pass rusher not a run stopper

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J@son said:

Why do you say that? 

Because when you are as close as we are and have the money to spend that we do, you have to add veteran players to put you over (or near) the top. You have to. Or you will lose to teams that do add key vets. That's the way the NFL is now.

Nobody wins solely because of the draft anymore

Andrew is in his prime.   And we have the money to spend.

Let's pay the cost to be the boss.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Because when you are as close as we are and have the money to spend that we do, you have to add veteran players to put you over (or near) the top. You have to. Or you will lose to teams that do add key vets. That's the way the NFL is now.

As Ballard has repeatedly noted since he arrived......

Teams that win Free Agency in March,  rarely do anything in September, October, November and December.    That's not 100 percent,  but it's far more the rule than the exception.    Teams spending big rarely get much bang for their free agent bucks....

That doesn't mean you ignore free agency....    it just means you don't go as crazy as a good number of teams have this off-season...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I could still see Ballard drafting a great DT with that 1st round pick. Someone like Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Or even Tillery. I'd like Lawrence as my first option, Tillery/Wilkins

I am on the train for a huge Dexter Lawrence as the pick. Big space eater. 

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

...low risk...high reward

It means we're trying to win the conference THIS year,,and not overly concerned with  'building a team the right way'

I don’t agree this is a low risk, it’s a moderate risk with high reward. At 12 million per year, that’s not low risk and with his injury history and age , that’s at least creating a moderate risk in my mind. I’d also think Ballard isn’t thinking I’m hopeful he gets 5 sacks and everything past that is gravy. I’m assuming CB expects 10 sacks with plenty of disruptive pressures for that cash. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I will start by saying I like the move on a two year deal to add pass rush, a veteran presence in the locker room and a potential teacher of Turay, Lewis, Muhammad, Phillips, Winbush and whatever rookies are brought in.....plus it weakens a potential playoff opponent.

And now I will eat my crow as I thought Ballard would go younger versus older and never even considered him signing....

I understand your thinking... after everyone said we weren't looking for any stop gap players, this is certainly a stop gap player.  We all have no idea if we lost bidding wars on the few guys who were younger out there, and it might just be that he's realizing it is too big of a hole to leave bare and hope for something in the draft.  NOW we can STILL look for a pass rusher, and the pressure is less to reach too far to get one.  And if one doesn't appear, then we're not as bad off as we were.  Many of us would have reached out to a guy like Preston Smith, (who cost too much in the end) but he was never going to overpay.   In this case he apparently went with the lesser of two evils, stop gap versus overpay, he chose stop gap.   We may not need Houston full time (i.e. 60% or more) leaving lots of room for rotation and development of whoever we have in the cupboard when the season starts.  In that respect, it's great.  I think most of us would have wanted this deal, but like you and I am a little surprised he went there.  I am sure his direct experience with Justin didn't hurt at all.  There must have been a bidding war of sorts on him as I doubt we would have paid this much if we were bidding alone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I've liked most of Ballard's signings in the past, but this one seems a bit pricey. 

I don't know.  I haven't watched KC that much to tell how much Houston has left in the tank.  At that price, I hope we won't be thinking Trent Cole by mid season.

Oh god!

of course YOU do.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I've liked most of Ballard's signings in the past, but this one seems a bit pricey. 

I think he was due $30+ million over the next two years.  This is notably less expensive, no question.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know.  I haven't watched KC that much to tell how much Houston has left in the tank.  At that price, I hope we won't be thinking Trent Cole by mid season.

He has some gas, if he can stay healthy.  I still wonder how and how much Eberflus will use him.

I know I want him wide 9 at the very end of a game we are on defense leading by a touchdown, the rest of the snaps???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think he was due $30+ million over the next two years.  This is notably less expensive, no question.

He has some gas, if he can stay healthy.  I still wonder how and how much Eberflus will use him.

I know I want him wide 9 at the very end of a game we are on defense leading by a touchdown, the rest of the snaps???

Yeah, my Trent Cole comment was harsh.  But I do think if we count on him to be the go to guy for pass rush we relied on Cole to bring every down every game, I'm not confident we'll see different results.

I think Houston's contract and statements reflect the notion that he'll be part of the rotation and used where most effective, so he will be managed better and have better results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm backing this post entirely for the James Brown reference

4 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I guess the challenge long term is that Sheard, Autry, Hunt and Houston (ages 28-31) have all got either 1 or 2 years left on their contracts. I don't see any of them getting extensions. We have up and coming players like Turay, Lewis, Ward, etc. I expect Ballard to continue to invest in the d-line in the draft, particularly at DT, where it's a good class. 

IMO , we are in great shape as none of those players carry any dead money after 2019. The only player that won't have a contract going into 2020 is Sheard. So it boils down to we can cut any one of those player after this year with no cap hit while all but Shread will be under contract. 

I also wouldn't be opposed to Ballard packaging some picks to move up and get some real studs.  Maybe 5 picks instead of the 9, something like that.  Package the 1 and a 2 and move into the top 10 if a player he really likes is available, etc. 

I really think with the signings and improvement in players on the roster come next year, we can take some chances now. 

• Like 1