Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

23 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He signed a 2 year deal last year with the Colts last year. 

I like Muhammad too...

I don't see it with Lewis. I think they halt that experiment this year and get his weight back down to what he played at at OSU (260'ish) and let him take over the Sheard's strong side spot next year. 

I think playing him at DE was the experiment...partly driven by injuries to guys like Turay. Ballard is on the record as late as November of last year saying that the plan for him is to play DT. And all of those months of scouting him with that plan and then using a valuable 2nd rounder...I don't think it's an experiment. So Lewis at DE is what will get halted this year.

I am sure I sound down on Lewis...I am not. I just think he is a subpar edge player...and a poor edge rusher. Not that I quote PFF often...but they had him graded out around a ~52...and the tape mostly matched it.  

If he drops weight...I think there is a good chance he is still the same player...except now he might not have the added benefit of being able to rush from the DT position. 

Plus, it's not like we can ignore injuries. We will see what happens...I just don't see it. Just too important of a position.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Scheme fit doesn't bother me. He has the traits of an edge rusher, he has the ideal body type, ideal length, and ability to beat blockers from the edge. 

Scheme change is a problem for stiff rushers who can't bend and/or don't know what they're doing on the field. I don't think that's the case for Houston.

I agree. This is not only a good deal (2 years for 24 mill) but he can still ball and is a true pass rusher like Mathis was.

• Like 3

Love this for many reasons. 

I don't think he's a rock star, but I do think he will improve our pass rush big time. He'll demand more attention which will open up lanes for other guys. He doesn't need to be a double digit sack guy to make the front 4 a lot better. 

Love the money and term as well. He's a clear starter caliber guy, at a position of great need, and didn't break the bank, or break it long term. 

It will be very interesting to see how the line up shakes up. It also allows us to prioritize interior DL in the draft this year. Interior is deeper than Edge. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Smith's deal was solid. Especially compared to Flowers and Z.Smith.

That said P.Smith basically got $27.5M for two years compared to Houston's $24M.

Plus if Smith is cut after two years then he has $8M in dead cap space compared to his $12M salary. So it's only saving $4M to cut him in year 3. Which isn't likely then.

So it is basically Smith at 3 years and $39.5M vs Houston at 2 years and $24M

When I think of it like that I prefer Houston.

Smith played w his hand down in a 4-3 in college but his entire pro career has also been as a 3-4 OLB as well.

At the end of the day, both are good signings. I expected it to cost more $ and more years on Houston which is where I would have preferred the Smith deal.

But if I knew Houston would sign to such a short term deal at this reduced cost then I would have preferred Houston personally.

I was wrong on Houston's market. I figured w Brandon Graham getting 3 years and $40M with $27M guaranteed at age 31, that Houston would command a similar investment. Glad I was wrong.

Also, stealing this from CR91's post:

So not entirely worried about Houston not having his hand in the dirt either.

I think WAS played a lot of 4-2-5 and Smith would play with his hand in the dirt at times. Colts obviously believed he was a fit...like they do with Houston. So that's beside the point. 

Like I said...I think...actually I feel comfortable saying I know...that Ballard wouldn't have given Smith a $16M signing bonus...which is why he has that dead cap hit after the second season. His biggest signing bonus was Glow's $4M...I believe. Ballard would have structured it differently. But who knows...that might have also been a dealbreaker for both parties. Hard to pass up $16M in hand.

I think Smith was the priority and Houston was plan B...so at least they got one of them.

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't think he's a rock star, but I do think he will improve our pass rush big time. He'll demand more attention which will open up lanes for other guys. He doesn't need to be a double digit sack guy to make the front 4 a lot better. 

Love the money and term as well. He's a clear starter caliber guy, at a position of great need, and didn't break the bank, or break it long term. 

It will be very interesting to see how the line up shakes up. It also allows us to prioritize interior DL in the draft this year. Interior is deeper than Edge. 

I love everything about it. I agree. It looks like 99% of the forum loves it too which is rare :thmup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

To me, this just reinforces Christian Wilkins as the definitive 1st round target.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Scheme fit doesn't bother me. He has the traits of an edge rusher, he has the ideal body type, ideal length, and ability to beat blockers from the edge. 

Scheme change is a problem for stiff rushers who can't bend and/or don't know what they're doing on the field. I don't think that's the case for Houston.

I think it's more of a problem going from hand in the dirt to standing up...like they tried with Werner. But you are correct...it's all about them traits. 

Jerry Hughes is a great example. Excelled after that transition...and then went back...and still played very well. Traits transfer.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good point.

As far as AJ and Cole, I hated the signings on day one because I didn't think they had much left, not really the money, which was also bad.

Trent Cole - he was 33 just a few weeks into the season after the Colts started in 2015.  Justin Houston will be 30. Robert Mathis gave us some nice years in his early 30s till age 32 and then faded, went back and looked. It seems like the 2 years is what we will get most out of Houston, based on history, and I like that part.

Sacks don't tell the whole story but 9 sacks in 12 games started for Houston is still a respectable number and if he can reproduce a double digit sack season for the Colts and stay healthy for at least 14 games, that might be a win for the Colts, considering the chances that the others will get in on the sack fest as well (Turay, Lewis, Hunt, Autry etc.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trent Cole - he was 33 just a few weeks into the season after the Colts started in 2015.  Justin Houston will be 30. Robert Mathis gave us some nice years in his early 30s till age 32 and then faded, went back and looked. It seems like the 2 years is what we will get most out of Houston, based on history, and I like that part.

Sacks don't tell the whole story but 9 sacks in 12 games started for Houston is still a respectable number and if he can reproduce a double digit sack season for the Colts and stay healthy for at least 14 games, that might be a win for the Colts, considering the chances that the others will get in on the sack fest as well (Turay, Lewis, Hunt, Autry etc.)

Yep, you nailed it like Ballard has since he has been here.

• Like 1

You know the signs of a solid organization is one that can keep things quiet and go about their business without many leaks.

Houston is gonna be great for the Colts. Plus, Turay, Lewis, and any other edge rusher they decide to draft will learn a lot playing behind him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cole got a retirement gift from Grigs. Probably should have been out of the league at that point.

Not to get into it...but Mathis' production post age 30 is dubious at best. I think Houston can be productive though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

And 2 sacks in in the 2 post season games also. He was 11 sacks in 14 games started last year. I think there is plenty in him. And hopefully Turay can improve too, so he splits reps with Houston to keep Houston fresh.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love everything about it. I agree. It looks like 99% of the forum loves it too which is rare :thmup:

lol yup. there were some naysayers earlier, but this makes a ton more sense, and easier to like than the Funchess deal. Houston is without a doubt a huge upgrade at a position of big time need, and the contract terms are fantastic.

Even though he ranked 3rd in sacks in KC, he probably had less opportunity playing right behind Jones. i would not be shocked if he was a double digit guy in 2019. hell, he got 9 or 9.5 the past two years. 

i'm stoked about this one. this is exactly the type of FA move I wanted to see. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Cole got a retirement gift from Grigs. Probably should have been out of the league at that point.

Not to get into it...but Mathis' production post age 30 is dubious at best. I think Houston can be productive though.

At the age of 32, Robert Mathis had 19.5 sacks in 2013.

• Like 7

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At the age of 32, Robert Mathis had 19.5 sacks in 2013.

Oh I know...that's why I said it was dubious...because of PED usage. Like I said...I don't want to deter the conversation...and everyone has an opinion on that by now...I just don't think Mathis is a good comp for 30+ year-old pass rushers.

But Freeney probably is...and he had 18.5 sacks across his age 30-31 seasons.

If I had to guess at his production, I'd say conservatively, look for him to be at least AS EFFECTIVE as Jabaal Sheard. Realistically, he's more of a pure rusher than Sheard, and so I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10 sacks easily, considering he'll be switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Oh I know...that's why I said it was dubious...because of PED usage. Like I said...I don't want to deter the conversation...and everyone has an opinion on that by now...I just don't think Mathis is a good comp for 30+ year-old pass rushers.

But Freeney probably is...and he had 18.5 sacks across his age 30-31 seasons.

It is JMO but Houston is a similar player, he is that great. Not saying he is better than those guys but he can hold his own.

I get the feeling not only was Ballard important in bringing Houston here, but Mathis too. Houston said he was messaging Mathis these last few weeks. I bet there is great camaraderie between the too and someone Justin Houston can enjoy practicing with. Little things like that help a vet find alot comfort in a new environment.

• Like 2

What were the two positions predominantly being stated as needs this off-season? WR and DE! What have been the two major signings for Ballard? WR and DE. Ballard is great at addressing perceived weaknesses on the roster so he wouldn't have to go into the draft with obvious needs and positions he must address through the draft. This is the way you do it. Don't lock yourself into a position that will force you to make sub-optimal choices in the draft. It allows him to just pick the best player without having to worry about securing some base level of production at certain positions. 

• Like 7