Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nice deal! Hope we frontloaded the first year a bit. Houston should get 8-10 sacks this year.

The question is. . . Do we start him or do we put him in during obvious passing downs to try to keep him healthy.  

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

12m is a bargain for what edge rushers go for these days tnh. I think this is probably right in line with his value if he can manage 8-12 sacks

Whew.  Thank God.  I don't think I could handle it if they had signed him for 13m instead of 12.  That would change everything.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

The question is. . . Do we start him or do we put him in during obvious passing downs to try to keep him healthy.  

I would put him in during passing downs, and unleash him in the playoffs. I'm liking the draft better with Houston on the team now.

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

With less accomplished pass rushers getting 17-18 million on he market this year, this is a bargain and relatively low risk at 2 years.

Yep, it's possible we have an out after the 1st year too, in case things don't work out. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You sneaky fox!!!! 

Actually laughed out loud at that. 

I oddly pictured Ballard with a coy little smile and a side-glance.   A disturbingly funny image. 

I like this signing and I like the fact that it was under the radar. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Imagine: 

Resigned:

CB: Pierre Desir

OG: Mark Glowinski 

SS: Clayton Geathers

DE: Marcus Hunt 

Signed:

WR: Devin Funchess

DE: Justin Houston 

RB: Jay Ajayi 

OLB: Aaron Lynch

I would consider that a big success. Super stoked! 

we didn't sign Ajayi or Lynch, Unless I missed something 

Finally...a move to win now. You don't give a 30 year-old Houston $24M if you don't plan on competing during the upcoming two-year window.

Colts need DEs...and even at age 30...Houston probably still has better athleticism than anyone but Turay and can get after it.

Wonder if this opens up a possibility for a Suh signing as well.

10 minutes ago, TheMose said:

KC has one of the best pass rushes last year and Houston was a huge part of that. He was graded the 14th best rusher by PFF last year

I'd like to know what's up with the KC front office.  A great pass rush but they let both Houston and Dee Ford leave.  They must have somebody on the roster to take one of those spots or they are telegraphing their draft plans pretty badly.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

So as far as I can tell at defensive end we have

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

How to do we work this out in terms of playing time?  Can any of them be shifted inside? 

well it sure makes the decision of going for a DB in the first round, or trading out of first round to get more picks easier lol. I Think the D-line is set. maybe add another DT. 

6 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

Actually laughed out loud at that. 

I oddly pictured Ballard with a coy little smile and a side-glance.   A disturbingly funny image. 

I like this signing and I like the fact that it was under the radar. 

174076-178991.jpg?itok=kyVI-s64

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

How to do we work this out in terms of playing time?  Can any of them be shifted inside? 

Autry plays inside a lot, and Lewis supposedly can.

• Like 1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-best-low-budget-options-available-in-free-agency

PFF summary:

"After the dust settled from the franchise tags, the edge rusher market turned into Trey Flowers and question marks. Houston’s release changes that though. In fact, Houston had a higher pass-rushing grade than even Flowers last season. The veteran edge defender has had injuries over the past few seasons, but he can still dominate when he’s healthy. He had 48 pressures on only 374 rushes last season."

His PFF grades are shown in the image. PFF sucks many times, but at least it shows him relative to himself. He still has some good football left as evidenced by last year when he was on the field.

Justin-Houston2.jpg

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

I think it's more like Houston, Sheard, Turay and Ward right now. I think those other guys play inside more...outside of special situations.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

Hunt Autry and Lewis can play inside

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

Autry, Lewis, and Hunt will be primarily inside.

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

Hunt and Autry are DT's and the Colts want Lewis to play there eventually.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Margus Hunt

Kemko Turay 

Denico Autry

Justin Houston

Tyquan Lewis

Houston and Sheard are more than likely going to be the starters. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd like to know what's up with the KC front office.  A great pass rush but they let both Houston and Dee Ford leave.  They must have somebody on the roster to take one of those spots or they are telegraphing their draft plans pretty badly.

They were pushing deep into their cap and those guys (Ford, Berry, Houston) were the casualties. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It looks like ballard asked about a trade for Dee Ford but opted to keep the draft pick and sign Houston instead.

Interesting...I think I might have bit the bullet and did that Ford trade (with the #59 pick)...if I believed he could be a DE in this defense.

But Houston should be a decent consolation...especially if they squeeze a couple of years out of him. But you never know with aging pass rushers.