Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts trade #3 overall pick to New York Jets (merge)

TKnight24

22 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 6:  Chubb, Bradley, DE, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 4:  Wynn, Isaiah, OG, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 5:  Jackson, Josh, CB, Iowa (A-)
Round 2 Pick 17:  Miller, Kolton, OT, UCLA (B)
Round 3 Pick 3:  Sutton, Courtland, WR, Southern Methodist (A)
Round 4 Pick 4:  Leonard, Darius, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 3:  Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A)
Round 6 Pick 4:  Ballage, Kalen, RB, Arizona State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 3:  Tate, Auden, WR, Florida State (A+)

Excellent except Sutton might be a first round pick and Tate won't get out of the second round.

27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Now here's a question, let's say the bills offer both their 1st round picks and the top of the third to move up to 6 for a QB. Would you do it?

I don't know. You got to get at least one blue chipper out of all that.  Depends on how highly they rate who they want.  

Wouldn't doubt if they trade down again on draft night.  Given this move and how free agency has gone, I suspect Ballard prefers one of the other pass rushers anyway.  If you feel Chubb is a can't miss player, you don't go this route.

53 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

His approach to Free Agency is Crap and Producing nothing but crap. Where there online that protect Andrew luck. Where at least a cover line backer or the Corner we need or at least a good DE nope nowhere to be found

His approach to free agency and the draft is that we are in the midst of a full rebuild.  He doesn’t have to say it but his actions say it for him.  This will make a lot of fans unhappy that we are rebuilding again in such a short period of time. Half of our 22 starters will be rookies. 

52 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Colts new identity would be to give up my yard on defense from the run and the pass since it does not have a pass rush and great corners.

Where do you get all your negativity?  Is this a personality flaw or do you do it to draw attention?

58 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm hoping for zero skill position players in rounds 1&2 lol

Haha...that might have been the case if he signed Robison and Hyde...but with all the pick he has, I think that is the target. 

But I am not convinced he's done wheeling and dealing. He likely has his eye on getting some more picks to address more positions.

I am so glad this was now and not on draft day. The bifurcation of possibilities that include trade down, sign and trade, players + picks, etc, just jumped astronomically, If the idea that a second trade down is possible, there is no way to properly plan for both in a same day scenario. This way they have a long time to plan, dissect, and discuss. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...that might have been the case if he signed Robison and Hyde...but with all the pick he has, I think that is the target. 

But I am not convinced he's done wheeling and dealing. He likely has his eye on getting some more picks to address more positions.

I think he'll look at every offer. Buf is intriguing.  It would be temping to pick up a second 1st rounder, but I don't think we can pass on Chubb.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I disagree, I think he would prefer to get offensive line and defensive help in rounds 1-2.  He pretty much said he believes in building from the inside out.

Now he just needs the draft to break his way.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Great teams are built with big uglies and from the inside out!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Corndog said:

If Chubb is available, no, just because there is a big drop off in quality of pass rushers from him and despite the terrible offensive line, this is our biggest need.  If not, sure, might even have a shot at Nelson at 12 if some of the projections are correct.  

Nelson will never last until 12. I think the best we can hope for is 3 QB's go in the first 5 picks. That would leave at least Barkley , Nelson or Chubb for the Colts. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where do you get all your negativity?  Is this a personality flaw or do you do it to draw attention?

28. against the pass 31. against sacks 28. yards given up  and 28. against the run and who do we sign. A freaking back up player with 5 sacks WOOW scary.

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I’m naming my son Chris Ballard!!!!!!

:cheer:

Hahaha

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Boom. 

There you have it. 

Is Chris Ballard awesome again? 

To some

3 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Quenton Nelson!

I sure hope so though I said yesterday that I felt  Fitz was our sleeper pick, now that this has happened, I think there's some validity now to that thought 

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man. I wasn't upset with how FA was going but I was a little concerned, but that changed real quick.

Well done, Ballard.

Yeah same here but I'd still like to see some FA pick ups

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm not sure a few second rounders fix this team more than getting one of the elite pieces possibly available. It looks okay on paper, but there's a risk here.

No but there's a risk with even the number 1 pick. Or any pick in the draft. RGknee, Ryan leaf, Trent Richardson were all "beasts" and "sure things" and all were top 3 picks... yet all are busts. 

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Now we trade #6 to buffalo for #12 , their other #1, their next years #1, and some more #2s. haha

Sounds great, except... why would they do that?   Who are they wanting to get?  If they do that, what are their chances of getting who they want to get?

The answer is a draft day deal,  Goes something like this- {Hypothetical call}

"Hey Chris, it's Brandon (Beane)

CB- Hi,Brandon.  What can I do for you today?

BB- I'd like to know your thoughts on a potential draft day trade for our 12th pick Plus a few others for your 6th?

CB - OK, but what are the ... others?  (they haggle and work out a potential deal)

BB - Understand Chris, I'll call you immediately when the Colts go on the clock, IF, it's a big if here, our guy (no specific names are ever mentioned) is still there. OK?

CB- Let me get this straight, so if I don't hear from you within a few minutes after we go on the clock, I am to assume your guy was taken and you don't want to finish the deal?

BB- That is correct.

CB- OK, but here's the final part of the deal.  I also have one specific guy I'd like at  #6. Now, if he is still there, I won't do this either, even if your guy is there.  I'll take my guy. Do we still have a deal?

BB- Agreed.

CB- OK, look forward to hearing from you on draft day to let you know if we do this or not.  Thanks for calling.

BB- Thanks Chris.  Talk to you soon. "

The Bills have an opportunity to get a draft pick at 12 that was never going to fall to the 20's (where their other pick is)...  so they are not totally despondent if they can't move up any further.  But if a franchise QB is still there at 6, it would be foolish for them to not have worked out a deal with us beforehand to get their QB.

6 minutes ago, i am yoda said:

Great teams are built with big uglies and from the inside out!

And that is where Ballard has focused his attention thus far. I think we will still see a signing or two. I also think interior OL is a target on day two, but I do think he will look at RB and WR. 

52 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

His character comes across that way to me.  Arrogant player, thinks very highly of himself, that could be his downfall.  It's good to be confident, but I think he's arrogant

He won the starting spot in two different power 5 conference programs as a walk on and then won the Heisman in the second one and led the team to the playoffs. I have absolutely no issue with his confidence. If anything I love it. I would be worried if he's shown he doesn't have the work ethic or talent to justify his high confidence, but this is like... the opposite of what seems to be in his make up. He works like hell to improve and to succeed. Manziel was a guy who was born with a golden spoon and was given things on a silver platter all his life. Mayfield's path is the complete opposite - he had to fight and work for every bit of success he's had. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

I think he will do both..He is letting everyone else run out of bullets..Then he will be there with a pile of money to snag the diamonds..He will get double the haul of talent for same price..The 1 guy he needs to splurge on is Suh..I see what he is doing now and it's brilliant! He is playing Chess when everyone else is playing checkers..

1) you would be well served to stop using words likes "needs" in the context above. 

2) you should not get accustomed to the idea of Suh in Indy. Won't happen. Goes against everything you know to be true about Ballard. 

38 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

His approach to free agency and the draft is that we are in the midst of a full rebuild.  He doesn’t have to say it but his actions say it for him.  This will make a lot of fans unhappy that we are rebuilding again in such a short period of time. Half of our 22 starters will be rookies. 

i agree with you and just to add on..this is what grigs should have been doing instead of signing old aging players on there way out. we wouldn't be in a second rebuild mode.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i agree with you and just to add on..this is what grigs should have been doing instead of signing old aging players on there way out. we wouldn't be in a second rebuild mode.

Winning early made Grigson think he magically rebuilt the team in 1 season. He ignored the fact that the division was terrible and that’s where most of their wins came from. Ballard won’t have that problem since the division is much improved. He can build the team the correct way. The only problem is how long the fanbase will live with a rebuild. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Winning early made Grigson think he magically rebuilt the team in 1 season. He ignored the fact that the division was terrible and that’s where most of their wins came from. Ballard won’t have that problem since the division is much improved. He can build the team the correct way. The only problem is how long the fanbase will live with a rebuild. 

Not long is my guess. Based on past history. It's one thing to praise a rebuild, another to sit through multiple losing season's. ST holders are definitely not going to get their value next year, or maybe 2 or 3. Last year you could get seats for nothing.  

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

jshipp. I understand that, but lets not talk about FA in this thread. Ballard pulled off something really good here. Lets be happy about it and discuss FA in the other thread. Don't want you to get torn up here, we should be happy right now. We'll worry about FA as the days go by.

I expect this years FA will be much like last year. Young up and comers that can start. 99% of the stars on this team will be through the draft. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Like 1