Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lots of former Colts want Barkley to be drafted

IndyScribe

On March 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM, oldunclemark said:

Rob, Browns must get a QB and their choices may change by the 4th pick.

Giants have a bad offensive line (to be kind)

Will they pass on Nelson for Barkley and will they leave every QB on the board.?

Nelson is the surest bet in the draft.

Barkley and Chubb may very much be available at 3

You might be right but after the combine results. I bet the Browns or Giants won't pass up Barkley now. We need OL help too, however I don't see us grabbing Nelson at #3.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/3/2018 at 10:18 PM, Surge89 said:

Oh boy.  I've been trying my hardest not to say anything lol and avoiding this subject altogether.  I'll be interested in the replies. (Still reading thread lol)

I haven't really read this thread since I posted that.  But yours in the only reply.

17 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The evidence is overwhelming that the injury rate of backs that carry to much of the load ,don't stay on the field long. that why for years the college ranks have keep alternating backs constantly, and that has carried over to the NFL.

our window with luck isnt going to last another 10 years anyway

they could make a run in the next 5 years or so.  

last year we took a safety that got hurt, and our first round center from the year before couldnt stay on the field.  pretty much anyone we take can get hurt on the turf 

What we do with the #3 pick will become much clearer once the FA period is underway and we start signing players.

If we hit the jackpot in our FA signings for O-line, then maybe the option of trading down to draft Nelson is not as viable and we draft SB to run behind that new line.

If we sign a RB or two to form our committee in the backfield, then #3 doesn't need to be used on SB and we could draft Chubb or trade down to get extra picks.

If the above two happen, then we can trade down to get extra picks and draft BPA, whether it be edge rusher, DB or LB.

I'm sure Chris Ballard will have several binders with different scenarios to follow depending on who goes #1 and #2.  And, he will be getting lots of phone calls right up to the time we draft at #3.

We all have opinions on who should be picked at #3, or who we trade down with and draft at the new spot.

I'm not gonna agonize over it, but will trust Ballard and Reich to build this team by whatever means are necessary and begin putting together a playoff caliber roster.

I'll just sit back and watch and enjoy...very exciting times ahead!!

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

You might be right but after the combine results. I bet the Browns or Giants won't pass up Barkley now. We need OL help too, however I don't see us grabbing Nelson at #3.

My question is this, Who are the next best OG/Rush OLB/RB that could be had at the top of the 3rd? IF we cant get or if the talent drop off is too much, then we have to make our first decision based on this understanding. And focus FA with this in mind. Nab key positions that you absolutely cannot fill during FA, and add new weapons during the draft.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

I would trade down for  nelson once barkley and chubb go 1 and 2 perhaps. Colts phone be ringing off the hook from denver or jets who need qb. If luck is having ongoing issues, easy call for qb at 3.

I agree.   Getting Nelson along with another pick would be great.   

Barkley won’t be there at 3. The Browns are zeroing I’m on McCarron. Already reports out today saying Hue Jackson has tabbed him as his guy. If it were me, I’d take Chubb #1. But Barkley just put up a real pretty set of numbers at the combine, and the Browns may pull the trigger at 1.

If they do pass there is absolutely no way the Giants do. He will help them get more out of Eli. 

If Chubb is there he’s the pick. 

Although I’m still not willing to bet he will be there at 3 by any means. 

I'd love to see Barkley in the blue and white, but it's not the most pressing need. Select Bradley Chubb to help generate some semblance of a pass rush. You can find quality running backs later in the draft, and this is a deep class. I like Sony Michel or Nick Chubb for us. Michel especially reminds me of a poor man's Saquon Barkley. Chubb would be a nice between the tackles runner to compliment the speed and versatility of Marlon Mack. 

57 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Barkley won’t be there at 3. The Browns are zeroing I’m on McCarron. Already reports out today saying Hue Jackson has tabbed him as his guy. If it were me, I’d take Chubb #1. But Barkley just put up a real pretty set of numbers at the combine, and the Browns may pull the trigger at 1.

If they do pass there is absolutely no way the Giants do. He will help them get more out of Eli. 

Agreed. It makes sense for the Browns to take Barkley at #1 If they have acquired a qb in FA or they feel they can get their franchise qb at # 4.

Then the Giants could trade down or possibly grab Chubb at # 2.

I hope it doesn’t work out this way but if it does, should the Colts trade down and get Nelson, or grab a guy like Davenport? Is there another player besides Chubb or Barkley worth taking at # 3 ?

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Agreed. It makes sense for the Browns to take Barkley at #1 If they have acquired a qb in FA or they feel they can get their franchise qb at # 4.

I hope it doesn’t work out this way but if it does, should the Colts trade down and get Nelson, or grab a guy like Davenport? Is there another player besides Chubb or Barkley worth taking at # 3 ?

The draft going this way would be a dream scenario. QB hungry teams will

trade the house for our #3 pick at that point.

14 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I mean, there’s gonna be a run on QBs if we get to 3 and Barkley and Chubb are gone. I think it decreases the value of #3 in that case. A team like Arizona can spend less to trade up, because there are so many QBs and they can basically really pick a spot to trade into. They can spend less and still get a target. 

I’d be fine with Nelson, but how far back can we move and still land him? I’m all for trying to acquire another pick while landing him a little later, but I don’t want to move too far back and miss him completely. 

Draft night should be a real fun one. 

23 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I mean, there’s gonna be a run on QBs if we get to 3 and Barkley and Chubb are gone. I think it decreases the value of #3 in that case. A team like Arizona can spend less to trade up, because there are so many QBs and they can basically really pick a spot to trade into. They can spend less and still get a target. 

I’d be fine with Nelson, but how far back can we move and still land him? I’m all for trying to acquire another pick while landing him a little later, but I don’t want to move too far back and miss him completely. 

Draft night should be a real fun one. 

#4 Broncos and #8 Bears could take Nelson. The only to truly get him for sure is take him at 3. 

On March 1, 2018 at 11:26 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They will both take QB's. Here's why, the Browns have been criticized for not getting it right at QB so they will take Darnold IMO. Eli is going to retire in a couple of years and the Giants will never pick this high again so they take Rosen or Allen to groom, then let the games begin!

I like your line of reasoning here CBE. Eli just isn't feared anymore & the Browns can never seem to draft the right field general if their life depended on it. 

At this point, everybody on the forum is throwing darts at the draft board blindfolded. Whoever we get at 3, better be a game 1 starter. Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb. Can't go wrong among that group of recruits man. 

Mary Cabot, the long time sports writer for Cleveland newspaper, said she thought they would go QB with the 1st pick....says Barkley  is probably a smokescreen and And Darnold is who she thought they targeted ,mayfield is not hue Jacksons type of QB so that may come into play regarding the pick at 4 being Mayfield. 

20 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Mary Cabot, the long time sports writer for Cleveland newspaper, said she thought they would go QB with the 1st pick....says Barkley  is probably a smokescreen and And Darnold is who she thought they targeted ,mayfield is not hue Jacksons type of QB so that may come into play regarding the pick at 4 being Mayfield. 

I don't know why they would need to smokescreen anybody when they have the first pick.  Of course, they ARE the Browns so maybe they are trying to outsmart themselves?

On 3/5/2018 at 10:16 AM, JColts72 said:

I would trade down for  nelson once barkley and chubb go 1 and 2 perhaps. Colts phone be ringing off the hook from denver or jets who need qb. If luck is having ongoing issues, easy call for qb at 3.

or you could do what the '83 Colts did, Draft and trade, neigh!, neigh!     ;)

On 3/5/2018 at 8:34 AM, John Waylon said:

I don't think the Browns are figuring McCarron to be their franchise QB. What I've read is they don't want to start a rookie in 2018 .. so Mccarran would just be a bridge . The Browns have tons of cap room and McCarron shouldn't warrant a big payday . 

4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

If I were the Browns, I'd trade down because they can't be trusted to make a pick. They always screw it up. Better to roll the dice on multiple players then trust their inept scouting department.

Somehow I don't think Dorsey will be messing anything up. He has drafted guys like Keice, Morse, Hill and Hunt at Kansas City.

He was Director of football operations with the Packers when he drafted Rogers, Matthews and Jennings while having great drafting results.  

So he does know talent and how good teams do things.

IMO the days of the Browns being so called dumb are over.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Somehow I don't think Dorsey will be messing anything up. He has drafted guys like Keice, Morse, Hill and Hunt at Kansas City.

He was Director of football operations with the Packers when he drafted Rogers, Matthews and Jennings while having great drafting results.  

So he does know talent and how good teams do things.

IMO the days of the Browns being so called dumb are over.

"IMO the days of the Browns being so called dumb are over". I agree unless they think AJ McCarron can be a franchise QB. I don't see that happening.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"IMO the days of the Browns being so called dumb are over". I agree unless they think AJ McCarron can be a franchise QB. I don't see that happening.

I feel pretty sure he will find a QB with 12 picks and almost 109 million dollars in cap space.

It might be a QB to groom for the future but I would imagine he will get it done.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I feel pretty sure he will find a QB with 12 picks and almost 109 million dollars in cap space.

It might be a QB to groom for the future but I would imagine he will get it done.

I agree, I think they draft one actually. They can get who they believe is the best one in the Draft with pick #1 so why not. They goofed when they didn't draft Wentz and goofed when they Drafted Trent, don't see Dorsey making those type mistakes.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, pgt_rob said:

Right now, Barkley is like the media darling of the combine; usually that role would be fulfilled by a QB. Unfortunately for the Colts, this is an awkward draft to take a QB. You know the QB draft class is bad when the best choice is being compared to Johnny Manziel!

I suspect the QB's will slide down, and would be absolutely shocked if the Browns took one with pick #1, and I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even take one at #4.

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I suspect the QB's will slide down, and would be absolutely shocked if the Browns took one with pick #1, and I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even take one at #4.

No way do they not take a QB in their first two picks.....unless they trade for one leading up to...or at the draft. 

1 hour ago, pelonskee323 said:

Browns take Barkley at 1, Giants Darnold at 2, Browns trade Indy at 3 pick up Allen, Colts get Chubb and more piks at 4. Just my opinion.

Colts are not taking a QB...so no need for the Browns to move from 4 to 3. 

15 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

or you could do what the '83 Colts did, Draft and trade, neigh!, neigh!     ;)

That horrible trade set the Colts back for years until that Eric D trade in 87 and did not do well again until 95/96 Colts. If u saw 30 for 30 on the 83 Draft, the Colts folded like a cheap suit without using the 15 minute time on the Clock. They had some other possible deals in the making but not to be. One was possibly Danny White and another good Cowboy player. They picked in 1 second to stick it to Elway, who still can't stand since that time. He was smart to use the Yankees as his leverage.

6 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

That horrible trade set the Colts back for years until that Eric D trade in 87 and did not do well again until 95/96 Colts. If u saw 30 for 30 on the 83 Draft, the Colts folded like a cheap suit without using the 15 minute time on the Clock. They had some other possible deals in the making but not to be. One was possibly Danny White and another good Cowboy player. They picked in 1 second to stick it to Elway, who still can't stand since that time. He was smart to use the Yankees as his leverage.

One reason I struggled to cheer for PM after he left Indy