Tweet about Luck's bicep 2-16-18

JRnINDY

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Sounds like old news to me...

Yes...   to me as well.    At the time of my post,  I had not seen the video that's now posted of Tiki talking to Glazer.    

Now that I've seen that,  I agree...   it feels like old news that Tiki misinterpreted to be NEW news.

I think if Jay Glazer was going to break new news about Andrew he'd have done it in his own Twitter page and not on someone else's radio show.   But I checked Jay's page and I didn't see anything about Andrew.   Now maybe that changes...  but until that happens, my view is your view...   old news.

lol wow glazer good way to rehash a story from a couple months ago, good reporting :thmup:.

As far as Luck, he is yet to throw a football (as far as we know) and nobody is saying anything which is a little worrisome to be. I have to think the silence is not a good sign. As well as Mcdaniels backing out might have had something to do with Lucks injury, although i am firm believer it was krafts revenge, lots of people believe he had some negative information about Lucks status.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV opened up his show by saying this was old news.

Thank you. It is actually but everyone is going to panic until there is video of Luck actually throwing a Football 50 yards down the field. I cant blame them but I am one that thinks Luck will be fine. Nobody really knows but it does no good worrying about it.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank you. It is actually but everyone is going to panic until there is video of Luck actually throwing a Football 50 yards down the field. I cant blame them but I am one that thinks Luck will be fine. Nobody really knows but it does no good worrying about it.

No worries, I am the type of person that believes what I see with my own eye's but I'm not panicked. At the end of the day there's nothing You, I, or anyone on this forum can do about it. It'll either be fine, or it won't.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Fair enough. I will back off my comment but I am just naturally suspicious of all media after what this teams been through in that regards.

Thank you....

I appreciate your natural suspicions...   they're completely justified.

I hope you remember what I've posted a number of times...   that I don't like the way Luck and Ballard have handled news and information the last 13 months.   I've repeatedly said if you don't control your own message then odds are someone else will and they won't do a good job of it. 

And I think that's where we've been for way way too long.....   just my two cents.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you....

I appreciate you natural suspicions...   they're completely justifiable.

I hope you remember what I've posted a number of times...   that I don't like the way Luck and Ballard have handled news and information the last 13 months.   I've repeatedly said if you don't control your own message then odds are someone else will and they won't do a good job of it. 

And I think that's where we've been for way way too long.....   just my two cents.

I agree. No news is easily interpreted as bad news.

I don't know what is going on with Luck. I feel like it could go either way at this point. Although I kind of feel like this is old news that we already knew about, but who knows.

The two issues with the situation for me ...

1, IF he does require another surgery, even if it is supposedly a "minor" surgery, and we have not seen Luck throw by draft I don't understand how can so many here completely dismiss considering drafting a QB in this draft. I know we have Brissett, and I think he can be a competent QB, but don't think he is a franchise QB.  If there is a QB that we feel could be a franchise QB I would rather go ahead and get him while we are in a position than "waiting and hoping", and then having to potentially spend a kings ransom next season to try and get a QB.  If Luck comes back to be his old self .... great, than we have an insurance policy, and trade options with Brissett, the QB we drafted, or both. Hedging your bets at the most important position in the NFL just seems like a legitimate option.

2. Seems like a lot of things you read Dr. Andrews would have handled Luck's shoulder differently. I just don't understand how you don't at least consult Dr. Andrews if you are Luck.  Maybe he did and we haven't been told or I missed it ... but it seems he did not.  I understand that he had a Dr. he was comfortable with which is important, but if you are in Lucks position with his resources how do you not at the very least get a 2nd opinion from Dr. Andrews. If it is me I am going to the proven best in the business.

29 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't know what is going on with Luck. I feel like it could go either way at this point. Although I kind of feel like this is old news that we already knew about, but who knows.

1, IF he does require another surgery, even if it is supposedly a "minor" surgery, and we have not seen Luck throw by draft I don't understand how can so many here completely dismiss considering drafting a QB in this draft. I know we have Brissett, and I think he can be a competent QB, but don't think he is a franchise QB.  If there is a QB that we feel could be a franchise QB I would rather go ahead and get him while we are in a position than "waiting and hoping", and then having to potentially spend a kings ransom next season to try and get a QB.  If Luck comes back to be his old self .... great, than we have an insurance policy, and trade options with Brissett, the QB we drafted, or both. Hedging your bets at the most important position in the NFL just seems like a legitimate option.

2. Seems like a lot of things you read Dr. Andrews would have handled Luck's shoulder differently. I just don't understand how you don't at least consult Dr. Andrews if you are Luck.  Maybe he did and we haven't been told or I missed it ... but it seems he did not.  I understand that he had a Dr. he was comfortable with which is important, but if you are in Lucks position with his resources how do you not at the very least get a 2nd opinion from Dr. Andrews. If it is me I am going to the proven best in the business.

I don't disagree at all with drafting a QB if there is question of Luck's health. Like you said having an insurance QB would be a good thing to have. He could later be used as draft picks or trade material in the future if Luck gets back to his old self.  If Luck is not going to be ready it is going to be a tough decision for Ballard come draft time.

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   to me as well.    At the time of my post,  I had not seen the video that's now posted of Tiki talking to Glazer.    

Now that I've seen that,  I agree...   it feels like old news that Tiki misinterpreted to be NEW news.

I think if Jay Glazer was going to break new news about Andrew he'd have done it in his own Twitter page and not on someone else's radio show.   But I checked Jay's page and I didn't see anything about Andrew.   Now maybe that changes...  but until that happens, my view is your view...   old news.

Yes... the video also is what convinced me it was old news also.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Since we are another year away from contending, even with Luck at 80-90%, I'd say ignore the noise and draft a 3rd or 4th round QB that will challenge Brissett and develop Brissett and the 3rd QB through the off season, IMO.

You almost have to.

4 hours ago, esmort said:

At this point I think the Colts should strongly consider drafting a QB with the position they’re in with the 3rd overall pick. If everything is true about the bicep injury he’s not starting the beginning of the season, and potentially missing yet another year. I don’t think Brissett is the answer and the Colts might not be in position say next season to draft a franchise QB if need be. And if Luck eventually does come back 100% having to franchise QB would be a nice problem to have for a team needing a QB. Just my two cents!

I have a hard time believing that he is in Cali working with supposedly the best throwing Gurus in the world and they agree to work with him if it is apparent that he needs surgery and I assume that the Colts are more than likely paying for their services. I don't think the Colts, Andrew or his DRs are dumb enough to go thru this process and that the throwing Gurus are greedy enough to take the money if he needs surgery. It may eventually be the case but till then I truly believe they are convinced at this point that he doesn't need it.

Looking at the shape he was in when he came back from Europe and the lifting he must have done makes me feel his bicep muscles are quit strong. Let's let it play out. If they really felt he needed surgery he would have it. They are not clueless people.

50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

At this point I think the Colts should strongly consider drafting a QB with the position they’re in with the 3rd overall pick. If everything is true about the bicep injury he’s not starting the beginning of the season, and potentially missing yet another year. I don’t think Brissett is the answer and the Colts might not be in position say next season to draft a franchise QB if need be. And if Luck eventually does come back 100% having to franchise QB would be a nice problem to have for a team needing a QB. Just my two cents!

I think the bicep thing may be old news. If he is throwing good by draft I think you go the route Chad72 said and maybe look to draft your insurance in the 3rd.

But, if he is still not throwing, struggling, or needs another surgery I agree we need to seriously consider a QB at #3. 

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think the bicep thing may be old news. If he is throwing good by draft I think you go the route Chad72 said and maybe look to draft your insurance in the 3rd.

But, if he is still not throwing, struggling, or needs another surgery I agree we need to seriously consider a QB at #3. 

None of these guys are a big enough upgrade on Brissett for me to want to use #3 on them.

10 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

you will notice the comment is in quotes. You can look up Luck's surgery on the internet. Almost all sites talk about the need to reattach the bicep. When the reports of delayed recover came out there were doctors discussing the fact that his problem is related to the bicep not being reattached. By the way I do have a J.D. does that count. 

It doesn't count, but brag noticed lol

44 minutes ago, BlackPanther said:

None of these guys are a big enough upgrade on Brissett for me to want to use #3 on them.

If you look back to my post previous to that one I specified to take one at #3 if the Colts think one can be a franchise QB (Brissett is not and won't be IMO). 

10 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Isn’t that good? Everything I read the Bicep cam be fixed

Dunno if "good" is the right word, but, if he needed the bicep surgery, he could get it any time in the next couple months and should still be healed in time for TC (according to reports).

It is better than the shoulder still not being healed, for sure. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I have always assumed Jacoby is our qb until I see Luck in pads throwing the ball. I don't think this affects our offseason or rebuild. We need to surround the qb with better players regardless. When Luck gets back he gets back. I think with a better team Jacoby can win games for us...we were very very very close to winning many games this year...I think Frank and Company can put us over the top. I just plan on starting the season with Luck not playing like last year and we move forward. We aren't winning the division without Andrew whether we draft a rookie or not. Personally that is why if we move back this year I would rather get a future first then picks this year. If you want to hedge your bets you look at stock piling picks in 2019 to either move up or have a high pick to get a qb. There isn't a qb in this class that blows me away regardless....none I prefer over Jacoby at this point anyways. All the speculation and angst etc is pointless. It heals when it heals...no amount of worrying and speculating will change that. Give it time and if it doesn't we move on. I think given Lucks talent if there is a chance it heals we don't draft a qb....we only do that if he is done....so this changes nothing...nothing except perhaps how fast we will be able to rebuild. Sometimes faster isn't always better....it may just mean we go through another frustrating season but we land some more high talent in the draft to build with. Ballard wanted to build through the draft anyways....what better way then to not have Luck and pick at the top every round for a couple years...he will have plenty of swings at this then.

We can Win the division with a back up , The Eagles won a SB with a back up so saying without Andrew Luck IMO is false what we learned in the SB is as you pointed out  anything is possible  provided you surround your QB with weapons & a solid o-line & a defense that contributes . 

We need a new Freeney & Mathis to anchor the D-line & IMO a stud RB to replace Frank Gore 

I hate the idea of sucking to build a team yeah Cleveland does it & they still suck the culture is a losing one we did'nt suck for Luck before & we should not now .

You play the game to win we need some players but what we lacked the most was a COMPETENT COACHING STAFF  starting with the HC . 

Frank Reich is everything Chuck Pagano was'nt & IMO we will see immediate progress & a Colts team that will come togeather like nothing we have seen since Pagano was diagnosed with Cancer . Differing circumstances but ultimately comparable results of course I'm a Homer & we can easily lose a ton of games I just can't see it .   One last thing ...

It boggles my mind that a doctor fixes the shoulder & not the bicep I don't get this .

18 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

The shoulder is not the problem. The original surgeon should have moved the bicep. He did not and now it may have to be redone.

"When you have a labrum tear sometimes your biceps tendon can be involved as well and be partially torn. If the biceps tendon is not involved and you only have a labrum tear, it can still be contributing to your pain by pulling on the labrum. With a biceps tenodesis, the biceps tendon is cut out of the shoulder joint from the top of the labrum and is reattached to the humerus (which ends up being right near your armpit).  The most common question we get once we describe this to patients is “Will my biceps work normally after this procedure?”  The answer is an unequivocal yes.  There is very little functional role for the biceps tendon in the shoulder joint.  You can expect to be in PT for about 3 months where they will work on restoring your range of motion and strength. After 3 months of PT you will be finished with treatment and back to mostly everything that you want to be doing."

17 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

17 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

you will notice the comment is in quotes. You can look up Luck's surgery on the internet. Almost all sites talk about the need to reattach the bicep. When the reports of delayed recover came out there were doctors discussing the fact that his problem is related to the bicep not being reattached. By the way I do have a J.D. does that count. 

For every one you post that says do it, I can counter with as much or  more that don't.  and mine sources are world renowned orthopods (Dr. Andrews, Dr, Atcheck, etc...)

Dr. Altchek from New York report in meetings that he thinks biceps tenodesis may be an option, but one he reserves for those who fail a SLAP repair (as Luck has now been shown to have done). However, this is not as part of the original repair.

There has also been discussions about the use of the biceps tenodesis procedure in overhead athletes and the increased risk of humeral head fracture.  This is a potential consequence that must also be taken into consideration

Noted orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews was once asked about the biceps and the potential for biceps tenodesis, to which he replied  “The biceps is there for a purpose — it’s too intrinsically associated with the shoulder joint.  Until we know what the real function of it is, we’re stabbing in the dark.”  When asked if a biceps tenodesis is the answer to athletes returning to sport, similar to a Tommy John procedure, he replied “With Tommy John surgery, we’re actually restoring anatomy. In the case of biceps tenodesis, you’re deleting anatomy.

Here's a good read too...

http://www.athletico.com/2016/03/03/hot-topics-regarding-overhead-throwing-from-this-years-asmi-conference/

13 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Well, I heard that the bicep isn't a long recovery like the shoulder was if he needs surgery on it. 

Wrong...

13 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Typical response from you

if you listen to the video post you will see he was asked.  "Tell is what you know about Andrew Luck".    That's what he did.   He didn't say this was breaking news.   He answered the question

The bicep issue has always been questioned because it should have been taken care of at the time of the first surgery. But Luck and his Dr decided not to do it.    When the pain was when he started throwing Dr Andrews explained this.  And said he always does both surgeries at the same time because of this issue

The bicep can actually detach and that is was the worry is

since the Dr Andrews report I have felt this was a possible issue in the future. Seems like it possible moreso now

Double wrong...

On 2/16/2018 at 7:53 AM, JMichael557 said:

The shoulder is not the problem. The original surgeon should have moved the bicep. He did not and now it may have to be redone.

SMH...

14 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

No wonder that surgeon skipped town. I think he knows he goofed badly.

Major sigh.... :grumpy2:

23 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is what I thought too.  The two are connected, so it could just be a matter of semantics.  For example, if the shoulder is damaged at the point where the biceps attaches, then some will say shoulder and some might get technical and say bicep.  Either way, I'm going to ignore what the media says.  I still think Luck will be fine come opening day.

You don't have to listen to the media. Let the facts and evidence be your guide. Luck could have been throwing a football just 6 months after the surgery. Instead, it took an additional 3 months. Then pain (presumably caused by inflammation) forced him to quit throwing and go on I.R., and ultimately to Europe for some very suspicious and vague treatment. Now, over 1 full year removed from surgery, he's still not throwing a football, but supposedly "getting close." My guess is that Luck will ultimately need another surgery to correct the bicep issue. All the signs point to an unaddressed problem.

To those suggesting the Colts waste their first round pick on a QB, I say that would be THE most foolhardy thing the Colts could do!

Even IF Luck suffers a setback, thus requiring a second surgery to clean things up ... and even IF that puts his 2018 in jeopardy, you simply cannot waste the pick on a developmental rookie QB when you will most assuredly have your star QB back for 2019.

In other words, what we have here is a possible stopgap situation, and as Pat Kirwin mentioned a couple of months ago, if the Colts are not convinced that Luck will make it back for 2018, you wade into free agency to get a free agent QB to compete with Brissett for the starter role, for 2018, for there is an unusual amount of starting caliber QBs available in this year’s free agency.

Example ... his own frailty aside, a guy like Sam Bradford is a very competent starting QB.  He won’t command big dollars because of all the injury concerns around him, but he’s healthy now and could easily serve as the bridge the team needs until Andrew makes it all the way back.

In the meantime, you use your draft assets AND free agency to build the rest of the team, so that when Luck does make it back, he has a team around him that can compete.  I wholeheartedly agree!

So once again in other words, the calls for the Colts to draft a QB with their premium first round pick represents the most ill advised, panicked, franchise wrecking course of action that the team could possibly make.  We are not and will not become the Cleveland Browns.  You build the rest of the team, so that when you DO get your star QB back, the team around him is better than when he left.