Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did Garcon not re-sign with the Colts in 2012?


Tsarquise

Recommended Posts

This is an odd topic, six years later.

 

I'm pretty sure they let him walk because they were able to keep Reggie for a lot less, and they had major cap constraints that offseason. 

 

I also don't think it was any great loss, in the grand scheme of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is an odd topic, six years later.

 

I'm pretty sure they let him walk because they were able to keep Reggie for a lot less, and they had major cap constraints that offseason. 

 

I also don't think it was any great loss, in the grand scheme of things.

Actually if I remember correctly, could ne mistaken, Griggs prefered bringing back Garcon But the Redskins blew  colts offer away. So then Reggie decided he'd like to come back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He got more money than I think he deserved at that time. Also was inconsistent with some awesome catches and bad drops. We got Reggie cheaper and for a little while he still balled out.  I think a few years with Reggie helped more with Luck and Hilton’s progression than 5 years with Garçon would have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Garcon got a 64 million dollar contract with the Redskins.  No way was he worth that.

 

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

$42m.

Thanks for the contract correction there Superman. I remember being shocked at how much the Skins offered him & then went oh, it's Dan Snyder he always throws too much money at high impact players.

 

I was happy with Garcon getting decent money for his hands & speed. I always wanna see guys getting well compensated so that they can take care of their families. 

 

The thing I will never forget about Pierre is his ability to make impossible circus catches & then drop easy 3rd down conversion passes that Peyton threw him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

YEp...and I say he earned it. He played well in Washington. Everyone kills him on that one drop in the SB and it was huge but he has had a good career.

I loved when ray lewis gave him one of his cheap shots and garcon just popped right back up and went to his face and started jawing the dirty lb.

Garcon was one of my favorites.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I loved when ray lewis gave him one of his cheap shots and garcon just popped right back up and went to his face and started jawing the dirty lb.

Garcon was one of my favorites.

On a team with Harrison, Collie, Wayne, Clark he was the one guy that had fire...would run his mouth a bit. He was fun and always played physical. Loved that too. Just wish he caught that 3rd down pass in the SB...he would still be running today and would have changed the complexion of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

Anyone know? 

 

If he had, how much better would this offense be?

 

Because he hoodwinked (Love that word Reggie! :) ) the Redskins on a deal of a lifetime. 

 

We were too broke (cap-strapped) to pay him a fifth of what he got. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

This is an odd topic, six years later.

 

I'm pretty sure they let him walk because they were able to keep Reggie for a lot less, and they had major cap constraints that offseason. 

 

I also don't think it was any great loss, in the grand scheme of things.

I just saw he was the number 9 rated receiver in Bleacher Reports top 1000. I was surprised he was rated so high, which got me thinking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember I took Garcon on the Redskins in a late round fantasy draft because I knew he'd be a stud. I was right... until he injured himself and was out the entire season, but when he played, oh boy was he a player!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

This is an odd topic, six years later.

 

I'm pretty sure they let him walk because they were able to keep Reggie for a lot less, and they had major cap constraints that offseason. 

 

I also don't think it was any great loss, in the grand scheme of things.

 

 

As I remember it , they tried like heck to resign him . Just couldn't match what Washington ended up giving him. Like you say we had all those cap hits from releasing the vets. 

 

Then they went to Wayne ... almost like an after thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Who cares. I mean to bring up ex players from 6 years ago. Focus on the new HC hire of 2018.

I would like to ask you a question without meaning it in an insulting way.

Just who are you to tell anyone what to ask or what thread to start?

It is the off season and we have plenty of threads going regarding things happening with the present Colts so what's it to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Anyone know? 

 

If he had, how much better would this offense be?

He was no re-signed because he was askng for too much money and as it turned out, we were able to instead re-sign Reggie Wayne, who was infinitely better.  The funny thing is, it was assumed that we’d be unable to re-sign Wayne, but would retain Garçon.  I for one, though, remember it all very well and at the time, and retrospectively, I am way happy it turned out the other way around.  Wayne was phenomenal in 2012 and for a good part of 2013, until the injuries started.  No regrets, no second guessing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

 The Redskins backed up a Brink’s truck for him.  Grigson tried to keep him but he chased the money so later that day Grigson re-signed Reggie.

 

Yep.  I know what people mean when they say he wasn’t worth what they paid him.  That’s hindsight.  He was paid for his potential, it just didn’t work out.  

 

Every quality FA is going to be overpaid.  The Redskins are the kings of overpaying.  Remember Haynesworth?

 

Probably 90% of the players in the NFL don’t get a chance at a second contract, much less a big one.  I never fault any of them for doing it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually if I remember correctly, could ne mistaken, Griggs prefered bringing back Garcon But the Redskins blew  colts offer away. So then Reggie decided he'd like to come back.

 

47 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

As I remember it , they tried like heck to resign him . Just couldn't match what Washington ended up giving him. Like you say we had all those cap hits from releasing the vets. 

 

Then they went to Wayne ... almost like an after thought.

 

These are both more accurate. I didn't feel like Reggie was the afterthought, but the Colts did make a big push to keep Garcon even before free agency started. They were outbid by Washington. But they didn't take long to make the offer to Reggie, and got him back under contract on the first day of free agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Yep.  I know what people mean when they say he wasn’t worth what they paid him.  That’s hindsight.  He was paid for his potential, it just didn’t work out.  

 

Every quality FA is going to be overpaid.  The Redskins are the kings of overpaying.  Remember Haynesworth?

 

Probably 90% of the players in the NFL don’t get a chance at a second contract, much less a big one.  I never fault any of them for doing it.  

Yeah I don’t fault him either.  Honesrly I thought he was pretty good as a redskin he just didn’t play on a good team.  Not his fault.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

... But they didn't take long to make the offer to Reggie, and got him back under contract on the first day of free agency.

Which came as a most pleasant surprise.  It was like a ray of sunshine breaking through a dark, bleak winter.  I remember being shocked, but oh so happy!  And Wayne rewarded us all with a season that truly ranks as one of the best season I can ever remember a receiver having.  Wayne was simply fantastic that first year back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Which came as a most pleasant surprise.  It was like a ray of sunshine breaking through a dark, bleak winter.  I remember being shocked, but oh so happy!  And Wayne rewarded us all with a season that truly ranks as one of the best season I can ever remember a receiver having.  Wayne was simply fantastic that first year back!

 

Yup. I was happy to have Mathis stay as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...