Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did Garcon not re-sign with the Colts in 2012?

Tsarquise

34 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yep.  I know what people mean when they say he wasn’t worth what they paid him.  That’s hindsight.  He was paid for his potential, it just didn’t work out.  

Every quality FA is going to be overpaid.  The Redskins are the kings of overpaying.  Remember Haynesworth?

Probably 90% of the players in the NFL don’t get a chance at a second contract, much less a big one.  I never fault any of them for doing it.  

Good point. I never faulted Garcon for taking the best offer on the table especially when players are 1 concussion or serious knee injury from having their career significantly shortened. Take the money & run. Oh God, Albert Haynesworth...Colossal disaster...loved big money & had a tiny work ethic. 

That drop on that deep in in the Super Bowl was a killer.  But Pierre definitely has had a good career.  That deep in is actually a difficult catch to make.  Most guys don’t know how to position your hands to catch it and if it’s a little lower guys try to basket catch it and it eats em up.  Moncrief and I think TY both dropped the same kind of pass this year...  Oh and don’t forget that pass usually brings you right back into a waiting safety which will make you take your eyes off the ball for a half second.

I will say this though. When he left INDY for Washington, I didn't think Garcon was ready to take his game to the next level outside Manning's shadow since Peyton molded him; & I was wrong. I remember QB Kirk Cousins even telling Al Michaels I think that he wanted to thank Peyton for teaching him so well transforming into a great WR who ran great routes, always got open, & was very dependable in clutch situations. 

He was always fascinating to watch. 

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Most guys don’t know how to position your hands to catch it and if it’s a little lower guys try to basket catch it and it eats em up.

Well said Smoke. Cool username BTW.

I'm no expert at WR, but you do make a great point about hand placement & grab the ball out of the air before it hits your body & bounces off of it. Cris Carter for the Vikings was incredible at this. Catching the ball out of the air & pulling it in seamlessly in stride. Cris is a key reason why Randy Moss is in the HOF or about to be anyway. 

Yep, Pierre has tremendous hands no question. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I'm no expert at WR, but you do make a great point about hand placement & grab the ball out of the air before it hits your body & bounces off of it. Cris Carter for the Vikings was incredible at this. Catching the ball out of the air & pulling it in seamlessly in stride. Cris is a key reason why Randy is in the HOF or about to be anyway. 

He had to have great hands 

43 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'm no expert at WR, but you do make a great point about hand placement & grab the ball out of the air before it hits your body & bounces off of it. Cris Carter for the Vikings was incredible at this. Catching the ball out of the air & pulling it in seamlessly in stride. Cris is a key reason why Randy Moss is in the HOF or about to be anyway. 

Thanks SW1. That’s just a tough catch when the ball is dropping and you’re running across the field...  If it’s chest or even should high, you can snag it and never lose a step.  When it’s dropping you can't just snag it like normal without going to the ground.  So you basically try to bend down and just try to squeeze it with both arms but you don’t have your body to block it like with a normal body catch and your momentum is carrying you perpendicular to the ball...  

I think Pierre made the same catch against the Jets but it was chest high and he could run after the catch. Pierre had good hands but I think both Reggie and Marvin would have caught the one in the Super Bowl.  Reggie would have had the awareness to just go down and make the catch and sacrifice the yac.  Marv would have caught it and rolled out like Pierre was supposed to do because Marv had hands only rivaled by Cris Carter...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

These are both more accurate. I didn't feel like Reggie was the afterthought, but the Colts did make a big push to keep Garcon even before free agency started. They were outbid by Washington. But they didn't take long to make the offer to Reggie, and got him back under contract on the first day of free agency.

After thought is probably a bad description. More like a sudden shift i gears.

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

The thing I will never forget about Pierre is his ability to make impossible circus catches & then drop easy 3rd down conversion passes that Peyton threw him. 

Yeah, that was my recollection of him as well. Glad someone else said it too. Garcon made hard catches look easy and easy catches look so, so difficult. As such, I was not unhappy to see him go. Conversely, I had no inkling that he would ever have the ability to lead the league in receptions like he did one season. He was looked to as a pretty reliable catcher in retrospect (I think) but that was not the case in Indianapolis...

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for the contract correction there Superman. I remember being shocked at how much the Skins offered him & then went oh, it's Dan Snyder he always throws too much money at high impact players.

I was happy with Garcon getting decent money for his hands & speed. I always wanna see guys getting well compensated so that they can take care of their families. 

The thing I will never forget about Pierre is his ability to make impossible circus catches & then drop easy 3rd down conversion passes that Peyton threw him. 

Don’t forget his lateral to Saturday in Cincinnati that cost us that game. 

Garcon almost deserved his contract.  Josh Morgan got $12 million in his first two years of his deal that same off season from the Redskins.  RGIII needed WRs, and the Redskins overpaid.  The Redskins, full of optimism and hope for a bright future, got out over their skis a bit that off season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7682579/2012-nfl-free-agency-pierre-garcon-josh-morgan-agree-deals-washington-redskins

Yes I agree he was a very good receiver that did make some amazing catches with the Colts.

But he did have a good amount of drops on easier catches which was frustrating.

For a 6th round pick he was absolutely amazing value but the money was too rich for the Colts to outlay at the time to re-sign him.

There was a lot of discussion at the time but most agreed he was not worth the $$$ the Redskins signed him for.

On February 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM, mikey287 said:

Yeah, that was my recollection of him as well. Glad someone else said it too. Garcon made hard catches look easy and easy catches look so, so difficult. As such, I was not unhappy to see him go. Conversely, I had no inkling that he would ever have the ability to lead the league in receptions like he did one season. He was looked to as a pretty reliable catcher in retrospect (I think) but that was not the case in Indianapolis...

Bingo! 

I agree with you M287. Going to Washington & then the Niners was good for Garcon just to get out of the shadow of Peyton Manning. I know he's grateful for everything #18 taught him. But I also know it can be very hard to be around a perfectionist 14 hours a day too. Yeah I know, attention to detail wins games in this league, but we all need a reprieve from demanding professionals once in awhile too.