Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interviewed Baylor Coach Matt Rhule this week (Merge)

IndyScribe

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This literally makes no sense.

The only way it makes sense is if Rhule is being interviewed for a lesser job, perhaps at the request of an HC candidate.      So, perhaps Rhule as a possible OC?      Richards is apparently out in Seattle.     Maybe he is interviewed as our DC?

Irsay and Ballard literally could NOT introduce Matt Rhule to the media as the new HC of the Colts.   An Impossibility.

There has to be much, MUCH more to this than meets the eye.....

If he is an IL coach maybe to Gage if he would leave Baylor to coach the OL

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Doyle Rhules

Awesome comment! We have a Mack to go with our Hooker. Imagine if we get both Chubbs. I’d surely have one myself. Plus we already have Luck. Heard he stayed at a Hilton while he was overseas. 

28 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

He also won in one of the lowest conferences.  Stop trying to defend this like it was a good interview it wasn’t...

He is a talented football coach. Back to back 10 win seasons at Temple is like the NFL equivalent of turning around the Browns. I don’t think he is ready but can see why intrigue was there. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This literally makes no sense.

The only way it makes sense is if Rhule is being interviewed for a lesser job, perhaps at the request of an HC candidate.      So, perhaps Rhule as a possible OC?      Richards is apparently out in Seattle.     Maybe he is interviewed as our DC?

Irsay and Ballard literally could NOT introduce Matt Rhule to the media as the new HC of the Colts.   An Impossibility.

There has to be much, MUCH more to this than meets the eye.....

Seriously. It’s there last chance to get it right while Luck is still there. No way they make the savior the Baylor head coach

Waiting for the forum to explode because he is now one of the candidates.If Indy Star is running a story about him, they must be considering him. As far as everyone saying Irsay would not allow it, from everything I have read, this is Ballard's decision. You may want to peruse the article, since at the bottom, Keefer says he thinks Toub will still be interviewed. I think Ballard is going to look under every rock. He is very diligent, and who knows maybe he is looking to hire one of the guys as an assistant coach, or something no one has thought about.

Look, I have no idea how good of a coach Rhule is, but he is highly thought of in College coaching circles. Baylor hired him for that specific reason, since the mess they had, and what he did at Temple. I don't think he has enough experience on the NFL level, but unlike this forum, I think Ballard knows a little more than I do about what he wants and is looking for in a coach. Whatever his decision, I trust him. We have no idea how good of a coach Rhule can or could be. All we have is judgments and who we each would prefer.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/10/3-things-know-colts-coaching-candidate-matt-rhule/1022883001/

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Baylor is rebuilding that's why they went 1-11 he was pretty good at temple.

Pretty good at Temple . . . I agree . . . but that's a bit of an understatement.

Temple football was a dumpster fire and Rhule made it something.

I also admire the fact that Rhule was not intimidated by how daunting the Baylor situation was.  The guy must have a lot of quiet confidence in his abilities.

During the Alabama-Clemson national championship game a few years ago, one of the ESPN channels had a broadcast where current CFB coaches watched the game live and provided commentary.

Rhule absolutely stole the show.  He was very intelligent, well-spoken, and seemed genuinely passionate about football.

The more I learn about Rhule, the more I am intrigued by the possibility of his hire.

Ballard is slick.  Richard, for instance, supposedly interviewed for HC but is now being considered for DC.  If true this proves Ballard is actively constructing his coaching staff under the guise of finding a HC by way of his complex approach.  A similar scenario probably holds true with Vrabel except he would have to be elevated to Assoc. HC as well as DC.  Ultimately it feels like a stall tactic by the Colts to bide time while the playoffs continue as they wait to announce McDaniels as the new coach.  Rhule could be a candidate for OC.

I am expecting the unexpected to happen in regards to Toub.  My best guess.

HC: McDaniels

OC: Rhule

DC: Richard

AHC/ ST: Toub

Wow, I go to bed and wake up to see the Colts interviewed someone and the forum goes mad about him being the new HC!

I know its frustrating to not have any information, but that is the way it should be! Ballard is running a tight ship with very few leaks, taking his time and considering all options (well, except Toub!).

Trust the process and lets hold off judgements until Ballard, Irsay and the new HC are sitting in front of the media.

Ballard is obviously a process over results guy. He doesn't seem to care for resume as long as he thinks the guy's thought process and qualities are commensurate with being a good coach and he believes good process and decision making will ultimately lead to good results. 

13 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Maybe they were just fulfilling the Matt Rhule, the lesser known counterpart to the Rooney Rule, where teams are required to interview one really bad candidate for head coaching vacancies. 

You win the internet today. :lol:

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Pretty good at Temple . . . I agree . . . but that's a bit of an understatement.

Temple football was a dumpster fire and Rhule made it something.

I also admire the fact that Rhule was not intimidated by how daunting the Baylor situation was.  The guy must have a lot of quiet confidence in his abilities.

During the Alabama-Clemson national championship game a few years ago, one of the ESPN channels had a broadcast where current CFB coaches watched the game live and provided commentary.

Rhule absolutely stole the show.  He was very intelligent, well-spoken, and seemed genuinely passionate about football.

The more I learn about Rhule, the more I am intrigued by the possibility of his hire.

Ya and now that he isn't there anymore its sort of a dumpster fire again but I would agree terrible interview.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Ballard is obviously a process over results guy. He doesn't seem to care for resume as long as he thinks the guy's thought process and qualities are commensurate with being a good coach and he believes good process and decision making will ultimately lead to good results. 

Thank you for a reasonable thought.  Clearly he sees something in Rhule and knows waaay more than we do.

Should it come to this the hire would certainly be uninspiring but that all changes if he is right about the guy and the team starts winning at a high level.