Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interviewed Baylor Coach Matt Rhule this week (Merge)

IndyScribe

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Baylor had the big issue with Art Briles and the program kind of fell apart, but to go from 10-3 to 7-6, then 1-11 with Rhule, doesn't look good on him. Sounds like he's a stellar recruiter, but what kind of coach is he?

To his credit, he had a good run at Temple.

I'm hoping this was either just due diligence, or he's in the mix for an assistant spot. 

Kind of reminds me of 2012 when Marc Trestman's name came out of nowhere...

Remember the movie necessary roughness? That is literally the situation that he walked into down there. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

if all the nfl prospects turned us down we have to try college coaches, high school is next

No NFL prospects turned us down.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We did just lose Joe philbin

Rhule doesn't have much experience as an O-Line coach though.

Just now, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

What’s your point with Oline experience?? Ballard wouldn’t interview candidates for coordinator jobs until his coach was hired.  

I'm just responding to a post that says Rhule might replace Philbin. And an O-Line coach isn't exactly a coordinator. I think they can be hired separate of the head coach.

I read some thoughts on why he was interviewed and this was the most interesting: 

Makes sense. He's looked at strongly due to his work at Temple, back to back ten win seasons at that program is great. Hard to hold his first season at a completely gutted Baylor program against him. Don't think this gets out unless he's not getting the job, though. Baylor has enough obstacles to overcome with recruiting without adding "coach might leave for the NFL in two weeks" to the list.

It makes sense and if he was being hired, there's no way this would be leaked. 

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I'm just responding to a post that says Rhule might replace Philbin. And an O-Line coach isn't exactly a coordinator. I think they can be hired separate of the head coach.

Lol this dude isn’t leaving a college HC job for an NFL oline job. But you are also incorrect the head coach hires his own staff.  Obviously with input from the GM but the hire is his.

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Lol this dude isn’t leaving a college HC job for an NFL oline job. But you are also incorrect the head coach hires his own staff.  Obviously with input from the GM but the hire is his.

I never said he was. The poster said he could be a replacement for Philbin and I said it's probably not likely. I know the HC hires the coordinators, but I think the position coaches are probably a mix of both. McDaniels(or whoever the HC is) might be thinking about bringing him in(unlikely) and Ballard decides to take a look.

3 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I never said he was. The poster said he could be a replacement for Philbin and I said it's probably not likely. I know the HC hires the coordinators, but I think the position coaches are probably a mix of both. McDaniels(or whoever the HC is) might be thinking about bringing him in(unlikely) and Ballard decides to take a look.

If they're following the Niners blueprint and hiring McDaniels, then they'll line up several assistant candidates before they officially make the hire. Shanahan was announced one day after the SB, and the next day, the Niners announced a handful of assistants. So they were working on that well before he was sworn in.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

If they're following the Niners blueprint and hiring McDaniels, then they'll line up several assistant candidates before they officially make the hire. Shanahan was announced one day after the SB, and the next day, the Niners announced a handful of assistants. So they were working on that well before he was sworn in.

I don’t think we’d be interviewing him for that.  I said before he won’t leave Baylor for a positions job in the nfl.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/ind/indianapolis-colts

Adam RittenbergESPN Staff Writer 

SOURCES: Baylor coach Matt Rhule interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching vacancy earlier this week. Rhule, who completed his first season with the Bears in November, spent the 2012 season as the New York Giants offensive line coach. He is 29-34 in five seasons as a college head coach.

So minus the dumpster fire at Baylor in 2017 does that make him 28-26 as a college coach?

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't worry about this folks. No way Irsay will allow this hiring. If he does I would be really shocked. Makes no sense and no way would Ballard and Irsay be able to get on local TV here and announce this guy as the next HC. The fan base would crap their pants.

Cool ndisder me worried that we are even interviewing a guy who has only had success at one of the lowest levels of college football...

1 minute ago, krunk said:

No interview for Toub, but Matt Rhule gets one. I'm sure Toub is steaming.

Toub was only mentioned as a potential candidate because of the media and his connection to Ballard.  I don’t think he was ever on the list.  It makes me sad that had we fired Pagano last year we’d probably have Kyle Shanahan as our head coach...

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

Makes sense to have a few candidates lined up to me.