Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interviewed Baylor Coach Matt Rhule this week (Merge)

IndyScribe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Dc6-YRHMhUA

Begins at about 31 minutes. 

Lombardi offhandedly mentions that the Colts conducted a secret interview. Many of you will probably think it's a college coach, but I think it's the opposite. I think it might be Kris Richard for our DC spot. We don't have a HC yet, so we can't hire coordinators, which is why the interviews have to be in secret. Ballard already knows he wants McDaniels and there's an agreement between the two. Now, McDaniels may not be available until February, so Ballard is locking up his coordinators early. Richard makes sense because he was released by the Seahawks and has connections to the Colts FO(Ed Dodds). He hasn't gotten many interviews for HC(I don't think any team has him as the favorite), and he probably knows it, which is why he's willing to be DC. The Colts fit because McDaniels is offense minded and Richard gets full control of the defense. I could be completely wrong, but it's some food for thought.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Lombardi offhandedly mentions that the Colts conducted a secret interview. Many of you will probably think it's a college coach, but I think it's the opposite. I think it might be Kris Richard for our DC spot. We don't have a HC yet, so we can't hire coordinators, which is why the interviews have to be in secret. Ballard already knows he wants McDaniels and there's an agreement between the two. Now, McDaniels may not be available until February, so Ballard is locking up his coordinators early. Richard makes sense because he was released by the Seahawks and has connections to the Colts FO(Ed Dodds). He hasn't gotten many interviews for HC(I don't think any team has him as the favorite), and he probably knows it, which is why he's willing to be DC. The Colts fit because McDaniels is offense minded and Richard gets full control of the defense. I could be completely wrong, but it's some food for thought.

could be

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Coordinators will be brought in by whomever the HC is. 

Who told!!!! I might as well spill the beans, I was interviewed for the HC job.  I told them I'd think about it but I was very uncomfortable the whole time because Irsay kept saying Dynasty and staring deeply into my eyes. I'll let you guys know whether I accept though!

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Coordinators will be brought in by whomever the HC is. 

Yep.  I doubt any HC will like being told who his coordinators are before he takes the job.  

How about this - they want a guy who's familiar with the Colts and has a winning records, maybe even SB experience?  

Jim Caldwell.  

This literally makes no sense.

The only way it makes sense is if Rhule is being interviewed for a lesser job, perhaps at the request of an HC candidate.      So, perhaps Rhule as a possible OC?      Richards is apparently out in Seattle.     Maybe he is interviewed as our DC?

Irsay and Ballard literally could NOT introduce Matt Rhule to the media as the new HC of the Colts.   An Impossibility.

There has to be much, MUCH more to this than meets the eye.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

This literally makes no sense.

The only way it makes sense is if Rhule is being interviewed for a lesser job, perhaps at the request of an HC candidate.      So, perhaps Rhule as a possible OC?      Richards is apparently out in Seattle.     Maybe he is interviewed as our DC?

Irsay and Ballard literally could NOT introduce Matt Rhule to the media as the new HC of the Colts.   An Impossibility.

There has to be much, MUCH more to this than meets the eye.....

FWIW

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

FWIW

Baylor had the big issue with Art Briles and the program kind of fell apart, but to go from 10-3 to 7-6, then 1-11 with Rhule, doesn't look good on him. Sounds like he's a stellar recruiter, but what kind of coach is he?

To his credit, he had a good run at Temple.

I'm hoping this was either just due diligence, or he's in the mix for an assistant spot. 

Kind of reminds me of 2012 when Marc Trestman's name came out of nowhere...

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

FWIW

I understand.     Rhule inherited the mess,  the fiasco at Baylor.      It's not at all his fault.

That said.....

He is still completely not employable as the HC of the Colts.     Not in any way, shape or form.

Completely unhireable.      Irsay and Ballard could not stand before the media and introduce Rhule as our next HC.

There just HAS to be more to this.....      a coordinator or line coach is one thing...    as the HC ---- no.    Just no.

Not possible.    No chance. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Baylor had the big issue with Art Briles and the program kind of fell apart, but to go from 10-3 to 7-6, then 1-11 with Rhule, doesn't look good on him. Sounds like he's a stellar recruiter, but what kind of coach is he?

To his credit, he had a good run at Temple.

I'm hoping this was either just due diligence, or he's in the mix for an assistant spot. 

Kind of reminds me of 2012 when Marc Trestman's name came out of nowhere...

I'm just trying to make sense of it, because right now it's a total head scratcher.

2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Baylor football is an absolute dumpster fire. Even with all the issues that they had, there's no excuse for a team like Baylor to lose at home to teams like UT-San Antonio or Liberty. If Rhule is the next head coach my days as a season ticket holder are over.

Ridiculous comment. At least give him a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Baylor football is an absolute dumpster fire. Even with all the issues that they had, there's no excuse for a team like Baylor to lose at home to teams like UT-San Antonio or Liberty. If Rhule is the next head coach my days as a season ticket holder are over.

Except the vast majority of Baylor’s good players either transferred, decommitted, or were ineligible. Making the rosters pretty similar to those other teams.  Baylor in essence suffered the death penalty on their own accord.