Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interviewed Baylor Coach Matt Rhule this week (Merge)

IndyScribe

14 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Thank you for a reasonable thought.  Clearly he sees something in Rhule and knows waaay more than we do.

Should it come to this the hire would certainly be uninspiring but that all changes if he is right about the guy and the team starts winning at a high level.

I was thinking about this last night, McVay was hired by the Rams in part because the Rams didn't think he would be available in two or three years.  So if you think a coach has the goods you might have to get him early rather than let him gain extra experience.  Rhule has taken on tough challenges and did well in those situations.  If he stays at Baylor, that program will be much better for it in a year or two.  The guy can flat out coach and build a culture.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

I was thinking about this last night, McVay was hired by the Rams in part because the Rams didn't think he would be available in two or three years.  So if you think a coach has the goods you might have to get him early rather than let him gain extra experience.  Rhule has taken on tough challenges and did well in those situations.  If he stays at Baylor, that program will be much better for it in a year or two.  The guy can flat out coach and build a culture.

Vrabel would fit that description as well.  Getting him early rather than waiting. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I feel bad for Rhule.  He took a chance on participating in a secret interview and Lombardi let the cat out of the bag and the digging started.  He probably jeopardized his recruiting class and Baylor could be revisiting the hire.  He could wind up a big loser here.  I hope not. 

I feel bad for the team he was willing ditch after one season. 

3 minutes ago, Drew Mills said:

Baylor grad here. Hearing that there's a team meeting scheduled for 4:30 Eastern today, but that he'll be staying.

I look forward to seeing him build Baylors program back up. He did it with Temple I am sure he can do it again with Baylor 

8 minutes ago, Drew Mills said:

Baylor grad here. Hearing that there's a team meeting scheduled for 4:30 Eastern today, but that he'll be staying.

Based on an exchange I had with Stephen Holder on Twitter he seems to think Rhule isn’t getting the gig. I think it’s a safe bet that’s he not the Colts guy.

19 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Rhule's or Ballard's?  I recall Ballard saying he kept a binder of coaching candidates, so maybe this is for future reference purposes in regards to an assistant coaching position.

Makes sense. Keeping Rhule on the radar would be a good thing I would think.

13 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Ballard is slick.  Richard, for instance, supposedly interviewed for HC but is now being considered for DC.  If true this proves Ballard is actively constructing his coaching staff under the guise of finding a HC by way of his complex approach.  A similar scenario probably holds true with Vrabel except he would have to be elevated to Assoc. HC as well as DC.  Ultimately it feels like a stall tactic by the Colts to bide time while the playoffs continue as they wait to announce McDaniels as the new coach.  Rhule could be a candidate for OC.

I am expecting the unexpected to happen in regards to Toub.  My best guess.

HC: McDaniels

OC: Rhule

DC: Richard

AHC/ ST: Toub

Couldn't agree more. Dont let what the Bears are doing distract from our own process. They re snatching up coaches, Hiestand is a steal and steams me up a bit (love my Irish also). But Ballard is doing the right thing here, and we need a stall tactic. Irsays pocketbook is open and these guys will see that. Patience my friends. Like your coach picks btw.:rock:

13 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Ballard is slick.  Richard, for instance, supposedly interviewed for HC but is now being considered for DC.  If true this proves Ballard is actively constructing his coaching staff under the guise of finding a HC by way of his complex approach.  A similar scenario probably holds true with Vrabel except he would have to be elevated to Assoc. HC as well as DC.  Ultimately it feels like a stall tactic by the Colts to bide time while the playoffs continue as they wait to announce McDaniels as the new coach.  Rhule could be a candidate for OC.

I am expecting the unexpected to happen in regards to Toub.  My best guess.

HC: McDaniels

OC: Rhule

DC: Richard

AHC/ ST: Toub

How/why is Toub making a lateral move?

1 hour ago, esmort said:

How/why is Toub making a lateral move?

Maybe his contract is up. Or maybe the Chiefs give him permission to leave. 

I like the idea of that staff, but I don't like creating a situation where your most experienced coordinators are likely to leave within a year or two. Richard and Toub are legit HC candidates, and have interviewed for multiple jobs. They won't be wherever they are for long.

By the way, as has been established, it is absolutely a lateral move, no matter what. Anything other than "Head Coach" is a lateral move and can be blocked as long as the coach is under contract. Bottom line.

Another name im curious about is our very own Schotty. Since McDaniels seems to be a serious candidate, wouldnt Schotty be a logical candidate as OC? It seems as though some continuity could go a long way. McD would be primary play caller or at least be installing his system, Schotty could handle a role like that, not to mention he coaches our most important piece. 

Just now, ND Irish said:

Another name im curious about is our very own Schotty. Since McDaniels seems to be a serious candidate, wouldnt Schotty be a logical candidate as OC? It seems as though some continuity could go a long way. McD would be primary play caller or at least be installing his system, Schotty could handle a role like that, not to mention he coaches our most important piece. 

Not really. Schotty is capable and qualified, even if I don't really like his play calling (and I don't, at least I didn't when he was with the Jets). But he runs a different offense than McDaniels. He's a Coryell guy, which is why he was a logical fit with Chud.

I think McDaniels -- or any offensive minded head coach -- would want a coordinator who speaks the same language.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. Schotty is capable and qualified, even if I don't really like his play calling (and I don't, at least I didn't when he was with the Jets). But he runs a different offense than McDaniels. He's a Coryell guy, which is why he was a logical fit with Chud.

I think McDaniels -- or any offensive minded head coach -- would want a coordinator who speaks the same language.

Suppose I really dont know much about his previous experience. But if he is like Chud, excuse me just threw up im my mouth a bit, Id have to say no thanks. Appreciate the insight.

21 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Suppose I really dont know much about his previous experience. But if he is like Chud, excuse me just threw up im my mouth a bit, Id have to say no thanks. Appreciate the insight.

By the way, I don't know what the Colts are going to do, or what McDaniels is going to do, but I do expect him to be his own play caller. I would think that if Schotty takes an OC job, he'll take one where he has play calling duties.

2 hours ago, ND Irish said:

I think what hes saying is that he would get a promotion to associate head coach, allowing him to make the move.

Um for the 4000th time this thread, the NFL considers ALL coaches other than the single Head Coach to ALL BE ASSISTANTS... therefore any move other than to Head Coach is a LATERAL MOVE and not allowed under the NFL rules unless approved by the team they are currently under contract with.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Um for the 4000th time this thread, the NFL considers ALL coaches other than the single Head Coach to ALL BE ASSISTANTS... therefore any move other than to Head Coach is a LATERAL MOVE and not allowed under the NFL rules unless approved by the team they are currently under contract with.

Um, got it thx.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, IndyScribe said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Dc6-YRHMhUA

Begins at about 31 minutes. 

Lombardi offhandedly mentions that the Colts conducted a secret interview. Many of you will probably think it's a college coach, but I think it's the opposite. I think it might be Kris Richard for our DC spot. We don't have a HC yet, so we can't hire coordinators, which is why the interviews have to be in secret. Ballard already knows he wants McDaniels and there's an agreement between the two. Now, McDaniels may not be available until February, so Ballard is locking up his coordinators early. Richard makes sense because he was released by the Seahawks and has connections to the Colts FO(Ed Dodds). He hasn't gotten many interviews for HC(I don't think any team has him as the favorite), and he probably knows it, which is why he's willing to be DC. The Colts fit because McDaniels is offense minded and Richard gets full control of the defense. I could be completely wrong, but it's some food for thought.

Interesting.

No prognostications here, but the Colts are doing this and keeping it very quiet. Every leak we hear is wrong. They were interested in Nagy, and he could have had the job it seems, but he was never offered the job. A small difference, but my point is the media was wrong, and Ballard is doing all this very low key, under the radar, and every time there is a story, it seems some part of it is wrong. Rhule was interviewed, that is all. The way Ballard operates, I truly believe he is using the opportunity to scout out coaches for the future.

Now Kris Richards is no longer the Seahawks DC, so he is not under contract. It is possible Ballard and him talked and with the direction they seem to want to take the defense he would make sense as the DC. I also think it is possible that McDaniels and him have an agreement, but as I said, everything is being kept quiet, which in this day and age is amazing. Who knows though, McDaniels may want to go to the Giants.

My point is, until an acceptance happens, not an offer, I don't think we are going to know anything. The one thing I truly hate about all of this is how each time someone is looked at, all they can talk about is Luck's health, and speculating on what part it plays. Whoever we take, I want a coach who wants to coach the Colts. I think Ballard feels the same. I do believe Luck will be back, but I don't know the future. I just know I want a coach who wants to work with Ballard, who from what I have seen is very good, and thorough! Buckle up, because it may be until after the Super Bowl before we know anything, unless the Patriots lose, and although I am one who would like McDaniels to be our coach, I sure hope they lose sooner than later. I do not want to see them in another SB!

5 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Ballard knows who his next coach is

That's what I think as well.

The guy playing until February most likely makes it look like we're still looking or don't know who we want.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't McDaniels at this point.

I think if we're still looking after a NE win this weekend guarantees us it's him.

If they get bounced we'll know real fast.

I actually like Rhule a lot! Wish he would have taken the job. I’ve listened to him on the radio several times and how he builds character with his team and how he didn’t have 5 star recruits but guys work hard in his system and get to the NFL (at Temple) and how even in the NFL they have continued to grow through this process and many are now making their first pro bowl and some got captianship in their second year in the league and that means a lot to him and he believes speaks highly of how he builds his teams and what he is trying to do in Waco. He has a top 15 recruiting class coming in so he will turn that program around quickly. Every time I hear him talk he is full of energy and sounds very grounded and just impresses me. He will be one to watch in the next few years.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I actually like Rhule a lot! Wish he would have taken the job. I’ve listened to him on the radio several times and how he builds character with his team and how he didn’t have 5 star recruits but guys work hard in his system and get to the NFL (at Temple) and how even in the NFL they have continued to grow through this process and many are now making their first pro bowl and some got captianship in their second year in the league and that means a lot to him and he believes speaks highly of how he builds his teams and what he is trying to do in Waco. He has a top 15 recruiting class coming in so he will turn that program around quickly. Every time I hear him talk he is full of energy and sounds very grounded and just impresses me. He will be one to watch in the next few years.

I think it's obvious that he has a lot to prove...