Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hire the Next HC of the Colts(list updated 1/12/18)

csmopar

Hire the next HC!  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you are the GM/Owner of the Colts, who would you hire from the names rumored to be in the hunt thus far....

• Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots
    • Dave Toub- ST Cord. Chiefs
    • Mike Vrabel-DC Texans
    • Kris Richard-DC Seahawks
    • Pat Schurmur-OC Vikings (unconfirmed 1070 the fan report)
    • Other: Please comment with who and why

If you were the Colts GM/Owner, pick who you'd hire.

These names come from confirmed interview requests and a couple are unconfirmed rumors/suggestions which are noted.  1 choice.  If you choice OTHER as an option, please say who and why. I know this is being debated across multiple forums, but as someone who likes to see quantitative data, thought a poll would be nice. Candidates will be removed as they are hired by other teams and more candidates added once confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

FYI - David Shaw is the HC of Stanford, not Clemson

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

interesting choices. however which ever rumor suggest that David Shaw is the HC of Clemson needs to lay off the booze:pokerface::facepalm:

Noted, thank you.  I just copied and pasted from the tweet lol. Guess I should of checked

I would choose Matt Nagy.

What he has been able to do with Alex Smith and the whole KC offense has been incredible. He finds ways to get the playmakers such as T.Hill the ball and finds ways to get receivers open with his schemes. He also should get credit for some of his rookie running back success.

Now obviously he wouldn't be our OC but I think having a good offensive mind would be great and I think J.Mcdaniels is overrated.

• Like 2

I like Pat Schurmur.

He was a head coach in the past with the Browns, but he won 4 games and then 5 games with the Browns which in Browns terms is a pretty darn good season.  

Then he's OC for the Eagles under Chip Kelly, ran a pretty darn good offense under Nick Foles until Chip Kelly took over roster control and decided to go crazy and trade away all of their talent.  

He becomes the Eagles interm HC and wins that game.  

Then he's Vikings OC and he's running a pretty solid offense with Case Keenum.  And I will also note that the Vikings offense doesn't have a lot of big name players on it either.  They have a solid TE, but I don't see a top 10 receiver on that offense.  

• Like 1

My pick was Nagy.

It is so hard for the regular fan to know how a coordinator will translate into a HC but to see Andy Reid call him the best head coaching prospect he has ever had is high praise and, in all honesty, I just don't feel that McDaniels is a good fit.....but that is just my gut.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I like Pat Schurmur.

He was a head coach in the past with the Browns, but he won 4 games and then 5 games with the Browns which in Browns terms is a pretty darn good season.  

Then he's OC for the Eagles under Chip Kelly, ran a pretty darn good offense under Nick Foles until Chip Kelly took over roster control and decided to go crazy and trade away all of their talent.  

He becomes the Eagles interm HC and wins that game.  

Then he's Vikings OC and he's running a pretty solid offense with Case Keenum.  And I will also note that the Vikings offense doesn't have a lot of big name players on it either.  They have a solid TE, but I don't see a top 10 receiver on that offense.  

Shurmer is my preference too. I like the offense of the Vikes and the fact that he's had head coaching experience is a big plus for me.

27 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

The more and more people say Toub the more and more i do not like it. That all he has been was special team coach nothing else

But he is probably the best special teams coach in the game.  He is well respected in the league.  John Harbaugh was only a special teams coach as well.  I've seen a multitude of hot shot coordinators and college coaches fail as well.  If he interviews the best and you feel that he could lead your team then hire him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Pat Shurmur all day!  Would be perfect for our offense and Luck imo.

He is probably my second choice to Toub.  I just really believe in the Andy Reid coaching tree. Which ultimately flows from Bill Walsh who in my opinion is the best HC ever.

• Like 1

If we go with a DC or ST guy I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Bob come in and run the offense since he is likely out of a job. I assume none of the rest of the list would come for a lateral movement...so as of now he is my leading candidate to work with Luck unless we go to the offensive side for HC.

• Like 1

I can't choose one, so I rather list who I wouldn't pick:

- Tom Cable (absolutely no way)

- Kris Richard (a Pagano from Seattle, not now)

- Any college coach who has no NFL (good) experience

- Jim Bob Cooter (an underarchiver with that offense)

- Steve Wilks (another DB coach with one year DC experience, we've been there)

- Pat Shurmur (honestly, dunno, it's from instincts, i have no faith in him)

And here is one name who I would like to see on the to be interviewed list: Frank Reich.

The more I read about Toub the more sold I am on him. He had 7 of the top 10 special teams seasons in the history of the league and he's done it in 3 different teams. Now this doesn't necessarily make him a good head coach, but this type of consistently great performances by the teams he's been tasked with coaching points to an incredibly good ability to coach and teach, relay and impart information into his players, make them execute with high end level attention to detail. This is pretty much the opposite of what Pagano was doing IMO. He will need to get good coordinators too, but I no longer am skeptical of this hire like I was before I started reading on the guy. 

I think McDaniels would be good option too. I think Nagy might be a good option, but I don't know enough about him and his make up so if that's the choice I would have to trust that Ballard knew everything there is to know about him and that he beat some good competition for the job.

The little I've seen from Kris Richard, he seems like an interesting option as well. I don't know much about his abilities though. 

• Like 2

I don't quite understand the people who are bent out of shape over McDaniels being a Patriot coach - the Patriot connection.  Coaches are identified with the teams they serve as a head coach for, not the teams they were an assistant for.  If he comes here and succeeds, he'll be a Colt.  Belichick spent a decade as an assistant with the Giants.  No one views him as a Giant.  Bill Walsh spent nearly a decade with the Bengals.  No one views him as a Bengal.

Also, for people expecting McDaniels to come here and run a carbon copy of everything they did in New England, that's generally not how things work.  When a long time assistant gets his own job, he wants to be his own man.  He wants to make his own mark, do his own thing and try new things.  

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I don't quite understand the people who are bent out of shape over McDaniels being a Patriot coach - the Patriot connection.  Coaches are identified with the teams they serve as a head coach for, not the teams they were an assistant for.  If he comes here and succeeds, he'll be a Colt.  Belichick spent a decade as an assistant with the Giants.  No one views him as a Giant.  Bill Walsh spent nearly a decade with the Bengals.  No one views him as a Bengal.

Also, for people expecting McDaniels to come here and run a carbon copy of everything they did in New England, that's generally not how things work.  When a long time assistant gets his own job, he wants to be his own man.  He wants to make his own mark, do his own thing and try new things.  

I don't get it either.  If Ballard thinks he fits best, then do not let the NE connection stand in the way.  I do have a little more concern over him just based off of the past NE assistants not really doing well as HCs as opposed to the Andy Reid tree which has had more success (Pederson, Harbaugh, Childress (for a time), Sean McDermott, Ron Rivera, etc.) but every candidate is different.  He could be much better this time around.  I think that McD will run the same offense but yes he will put his own signature on it. 

I like Toub. He isn't as glitzy an option because he's a ST coach. But he just seems to have the "it" factor. He most strikes me as the kind of coach who can build a lasting program of success. 

I think hes he's the biggest risk vs. reward candidate. I think he has the right kind of leadership to be special. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Where is this Pat Shurmur excitement coming from? I can't imagine he'd be the guy.

I think its cause JMV, Rick Venturi and others on 1070 the fan have talked him up big for the last 2-3 months now and especially in the last week or so.  They even did about 30 minutes on him in yesterday's show.

• Thanks 1

I’m very intrigued by Kris Richard, but we need an offense minded HC. Or at least I want one. haha

I think I’ll go with Matt Nagy, I fear McDaniels will wear his welcome out but that is just hear-say to be honest.

A lot of these guys are very intriguing. Not a bad time to go HC shopping! :thmup:

• Like 1

Top 3 in order:

1. McDaniels: I believe he’s learned from his failure in Denver. He will run an offense that will be both QB friendly and productive. He also has some good connections in New England and around the league to assemble a good staff.

2. Toub: One of the most highly regarded special teams coaches out there and well respected around the league. He already has a strong working relationship with Ballard.

3. Nagy: Andy Reid has called him the best head coaching prospect he’s ever seen. He has run a terrific offense out in KC that has gotten a lot out of the weapons he has.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

Top 3 in order:

1. McDaniels: I believe he’s learned from his failure in Denver. He will run an offense that will be both QB friendly and productive. He also has some good connections in New England and around the league to assemble a good staff.

2. Toub: One of the most highly regarded special teams coaches out there and well respected around the league. He already has a already strong working relationship with Ballard.

3. Nagy: Andy Reid has called him the best head coaching prospect he’s ever seen. He has run a terrific offense out in KC that has gotten a lot out of the weapons he has.

That's literally mine. Was gonna post it then ya beat me to the punch haha.

But yeah I like guys who are very well respected in the league. Gives me confidence that they can build a strong staff around them too. I don't know if any of the other names are more respected than the 3 you named. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

But yeah I like guys who are very well respected in the league. Gives me confidence that they can build a strong staff around them too. I don't know if any of the other names are more respected than the 3 you named. 

Great minds think alike haha.

I think the Colts have a better pool to select from this time around as well. Some people have mentioned Pat Shurmur but I’m not completely sold on him either.

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I have more of a 1A and 1B with the first two names but right there with both of you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

He is probably my second choice to Toub.  I just really believe in the Andy Reid coaching tree. Which ultimately flows from Bill Walsh who in my opinion is the best HC ever.

Pat Shurmur was under Andy Reid for the Eagles days.  I would take Shurmur over Toub just as my preference.  Nothing against Toub (I see him being a coach for us or Bears next year).

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Mcdaniels.  Especially when Irsay is demanding a minimum of 2 Super Bowl titles during the Luck era.  The fact that the Pats have done that and more under Mcdaniels as the OC is going to have some weight with Irsay.