Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hire the Next HC of the Colts(list updated 1/12/18)

csmopar

Hire the next HC!  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you are the GM/Owner of the Colts, who would you hire from the names rumored to be in the hunt thus far....

• Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots
    • Dave Toub- ST Cord. Chiefs
    • Mike Vrabel-DC Texans
    • Kris Richard-DC Seahawks
    • Pat Schurmur-OC Vikings (unconfirmed 1070 the fan report)
    • Other: Please comment with who and why

Shurmur is intriguing but so is Jim Bob Cooter....just not sure we as Hoosiers could live down Jim Bob's name.......Wilks is interesting to me as well. I am not interested in McDaniels, he mucked things up in quick order in Denver....maybe he is more polished (see crack made in another thread) but I don't want to be the litmus test for that theory.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, Dilger85 said:

So your sales leaders would be coordinators in the football world.  Would you think a sales leader with one year experience could do what you do?

Also, I never said anything about not rewarding people/winners so I am not sure what your point is on that issue.

dude pull the stick out and lighten up 

Like several others- would like to see them give Frank Reich a shot. Just like the fact that he has been successful in whatever role he has been in. Coached Manning for a while, that wouldn't hurt his resume.

Ultimately, unless there is some change in the people we are interviewing, IMO it comes down to McDaniels or Nagy. Of those two, I really don't care- just give us an O that we can run successfully and hire a bang up DC to get after the QB. 

Still wish we would go "All In", for Harbaugh, and make him a huge offer he  would have a hard time refusing, now is gonna be our only chance and I feel he would get us to contender status the quickest...Other than him, Wilks is gonna be a great HC, he has all the traits to be very successful, so I will be happy with him as well...

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Still wish we would go "All In", for Harbaugh, and make him a huge offer he  would have a hard time refusing, now is gonna be our only chance and I feel he would get us to contender status the quickest...Other than him, Wilks is gonna be a great HC, he has all the traits to be very successful, so I will be happy with him as well...

Harbaugh has put himself out of the running for a head coaching job in the NFL. He has a very lucrative job at Michigan. Why should he leave? He has control and that is what we all know he wants by his past history.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Harbaugh has put himself out of the running for a head coaching job in the NFL. He has a very lucrative job at Michigan. Why should he leave? He has control and that is what we all know he wants by his past history.

Coaches never lie right? That's what he has to say.....Gruden was never gonna leave his cushy job either....If we called him offered him 6 years 60 million and LUCK personally talked to him, and assured him he was gonna be back, I think he would at least consider it....You have to at least try in my opinion...

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Coaches never lie right? That's what he has to say.....Gruden was never gonna leave his cushy job either....If we called him offered him 6 years 60 million and LUCK, talked to him and assured him he was gonna be back I think he would at least consider it....You have to at least try in my opinion...

Gruden has never said he was never going to leave what you call his cushy job. He has said all along he would come back under the right circumstances.

What you don't understand is money don't buy everything you want. Harbaugh does not need money. He needs power and he has it where he is at.

He would not have it here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gruden has never said he was never going to leave what you call his cushy job. He has said all along he would come back under the right circumstances.

What you don't understand is money don't buy everything you want. Harbaugh does not need money. He needs power and he has it where he is at.

He would not have it here.

He is too competitive, he wants  succeed at highest level and he was so close with 49ers....I have no doubt he will be back in NFL eventually, he has unfinished business.....You are most likely right on the power aspect, if it's up to Ballard it will never happen...Irsay can overrule him though, as I hope he does if he tries to pass on Barkley as well....

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

He is too competitive, he wants  succeed at highest level and he was so close with 49ers....I have no doubt he will be back in NFL eventually, he has unfinished business.....You are most likely right on the power aspect, if it's up to Ballard it will never happen...Irsay can overrule him though, as I hope he does if he tries to pass on Barkley as well....

You may 100% correct down the road who knows?

But we do not need Irsay to over rule anything Ballard does. Ballard was hired to do a job so Irsay needs to stay out of it and let him do it.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:39 PM, Dilger85 said:

See, I guess my personal definition of tree is deeper that scheme.  I would definitely consider McDaniels a part of the BB tree.  There is a lot more to coaching than scheme IMHO.

No you're right, there's obviously a lot more about HCing than just scheme.  I'm just saying that at least personally, I tend to think of shared scheme when I think of a coaching tree.  For example, if I wanted to know what kind of offense Matt Nagy ran, I'd follow him up the tree.  First above him would obviously be Reid and then above Reid would be Walsh.  So I know that Nagy's offense is going to very closely resemble the Walsh/Reid WC type of offense.  

Just now, J@son said:

No you're right, there's obviously a lot more about HCing than just scheme.  I'm just saying that at least personally, I tend to think of shared scheme when I think of a coaching tree.  For example, if I wanted to know what kind of offense Matt Nagy ran, I'd follow him up the tree.  First above him would obviously be Reid and then above Reid would be Walsh.  So I know that Nagy's offense is going to very closely resemble the Walsh/Reid WC type of offense.  

Understood and see the logic.  I look at the time spent together as well.  Look at McDaniels, spent a lot of time working with BB so I view him as part of his tree.  Same thing with Coughlin and Parcells.  But JMO, see your point as well.  Good discussion

6 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Understood and see the logic.  I look at the time spent together as well.  Look at McDaniels, spent a lot of time working with BB so I view him as part of his tree.  Same thing with Coughlin and Parcells.  But JMO, see your point as well.  Good discussion

agreed, good discussion, and I'll go a step further and explain why I think that way.  IMO, scheme is really the only thing that you're guaranteed to see shared amongst all coaches on a tree.  Imagine Nagy is coaching under Reid, but Nagy prefers to be a lot more aggressive than Reid does?  Nagy could very well want to get out from under Reid so that he can be more aggressive without the HC holding him back.  But when he does get that chance to get out from under Reid, he's still going to run a similar type of offense.

So I just don't think you can really get much in the way of an idea of a coaches' competitiveness, how aggressive are they, how are they going to handle game management decisions etc etc just by looking at who they coached under.  Sure, all of those coaches on the tree above will have had their influences, but those influences could be good or bad.  Scheme, however, is the one thing that will be consistent as you move down the coaching tree. :)

boy, per the votes it's Mcdaniels by a landslide.....shame on you guys for wanting a dirty cheating (twice!!!!!!!! SEE DENVER SPYGATE) rule breaking soulless classless coach from those dirty cheatin deflatin watergatin tradegatin player cutting blizzard workin New England patriOTs(as Polian used to say) as the next great coach for our great classy  team. why don't we just hire SATAN????!!!!! did you guys root for the empire in star wars????????????

shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys could learn a lot from the REAL colts fans that used to post on the old indystar forum back in the manning era....they would rather have burned the stadium down and committed hari kari than see a former patriot running the the colts. real fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess losing will make people toss away their resolve, their morals, their values,  their class, their souls........

shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give me jim bob cooter, he's done wonders with Stafford, we need a good offensive mind that wont turn our team into a bunch of soulless classless robots.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eseae said:

boy, per the votes it's Mcdaniels by a landslide.....shame on you guys for wanting a dirty cheating (twice!!!!!!!! SEE DENVER SPYGATE) rule breaking soulless classless coach from those dirty cheatin deflatin watergatin tradegatin player cutting blizzard workin New England patriOTs(as Polian used to say) as the next great coach for our great classy  team. why don't we just hire SATAN????!!!!! did you guys root for the empire in star wars????????????

you guys could learn a lot from the REAL colts fans that used to post on the old indystar forum back in the manning era....they would rather have burned the stadium down and committed hari kari than see a former patriot running the the colts. real fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess losing will make people toss away their resolve, their morals, their values,  their class, their souls........

give me jim bob cooter, he's done wonders with Stafford, we need a good offensive mind that wont turn our team into a bunch of soulless classless robots.......

It's a shame you couldn't have simplified by saying you don't want McDaniels.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's a shame you couldn't have simplified by saying you don't want McDaniels.

I also wanted to let my fellow colts fans how disappointed I am in them...

I admit, I flirted, nay, LOVED the idea. then I prayed on it and saw the error of my ways.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, relkins said:

Ask Peyton

OMG.....look, I Loved peyton, but you don't hire someone with ZERO coaching experience to be a HC. plus, I doubt he would do it, probably has his sights set higher, like ownership down the road somewhere.

2 minutes ago, eseae said:

OMG.....look, I Loved peyton, but you don't hire someone with ZERO coaching experience to be a HC. plus, I doubt he would do it, probably has his sights set higher, like ownership down the road somewhere.

I take someone who has respect with command,no one who's more  hardworking with a great offensive mind.

9 minutes ago, eseae said:

31 minutes ago, eseae said:

so you're new to the site and want to say those voting for McDaniels aren't true colts fans?  What a joke!  I'm not for or against McDaniels but come on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, relkins said:

I take someone who has respect with command,no one who's more  hardworking with a great offensive mind.

totally agree with your description of his great attributes but zero coaching experience makes him a non candidate in my mind. your opinion may differ, but you're entitled to it!!!!  that America was made great and will be made great again!!!!!!!!

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

so you're new to the site and want to say those voting for McDaniels aren't true colts fans?  What a joke!  I'm not for or against McDaniels but come on.

yeah, Im new  to this forum, but Im not new to the colts or colts forums...back in the manning era I was a regular at the old indy star forum...it was invaded by pats fans who thought brady was better than manning, that the pats were better than the colts.  we fought them day in and day out....Jules was there too, she'll remember...they trolled us all day long, every day, but we stood firm, telling  them what a bunch of classless losers they were rooting for a classless bunch of cheating lying liars...one guys name was oneanddungy, shows what a bunch of classless losers they were......they actually defended their team running up the score in 2007....it was unreal.

when we said BB was a scumbag cheater, they said "you'd love have him". the response was unanimous from the REAL colts fans that made up that site: no, you can keep your cheating coaches, we want our titles to be asterisk free and win without cheating, which we did. god bless Dominic Rhoades, he should have been SB  mvp.  Not gonna complain too much about Peyton getting it though lol.

Now.....we cant wait to have a CONVICTED TWO TIME CHEATER (fact, not opinion) coach our team. what have we become? have we become pats fans willing to look the other way for wins?

when the old indy star forums shut down, I stepped away from forums for a while, but now that the future of the colts is up in the air and could go a lot of different ways,  its more fun to talk about so im back. talking about winning all the time like in the maning era got boring.....

so, in closing, know your audience before calling them names. If cheatdaniels (I coined that just now, BTW, in the good old days its what every colts fan would be calling him from here on out) ends up coaching the colts, I will be disappointed beyond words.  let cheatdaniels take over the Patriots when Belichick retires.  

God bless!

• Like 1