Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hire the Next HC of the Colts(list updated 1/12/18)

csmopar

Hire the next HC!  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you are the GM/Owner of the Colts, who would you hire from the names rumored to be in the hunt thus far....

• Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots
    • Dave Toub- ST Cord. Chiefs
    • Mike Vrabel-DC Texans
    • Kris Richard-DC Seahawks
    • Pat Schurmur-OC Vikings (unconfirmed 1070 the fan report)
    • Other: Please comment with who and why

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Funny thing is.... just 6 years ago, this forum was BEGGING for the switch to a 3-4 base defense........ We have some decent pieces, but if we can get a decent OLB/Edge, and some upgrades at coverage ILB, I think it'll be good.

Yeppers. 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:56 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I like Pat Schurmur.

He was a head coach in the past with the Browns, but he won 4 games and then 5 games with the Browns which in Browns terms is a pretty darn good season.  

Then he's OC for the Eagles under Chip Kelly, ran a pretty darn good offense under Nick Foles until Chip Kelly took over roster control and decided to go crazy and trade away all of their talent.  

He becomes the Eagles interm HC and wins that game.  

Then he's Vikings OC and he's running a pretty solid offense with Case Keenum.  And I will also note that the Vikings offense doesn't have a lot of big name players on it either.  They have a solid TE, but I don't see a top 10 receiver on that offense.  

I couldn't agree more. But have the Colts been rumored to even interview him? Ballard probably is going to hire his buddy from KC Toub. It because he knows him but he'll get to know these other candidates as well to isn't that what the interview is for come'on Ballard. I just think hiring a special teams coach with no head coaching experience is a big mistake I don't care if he and Ballard were roomies. 

5 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I couldn't agree more. But have the Colts been rumored to even interview him? Ballard probably is going to hire his buddy from KC Toub. It because he knows him but he'll get to know these other candidates as well to isn't that what the interview is for come'on Ballard. I just think hiring a special teams coach with no head coaching experience is a big mistake I don't care if he and Ballard were roomies. 

You are making huge assumptions into Toub.  He isn't being considered just because he knows Ballard.  He has had several interviews that are not connected to Ballard.  He is well respected in the game and several well respected individuals in the game think that he is ready including Andy Reid.  You can find fault in all of these candidates.  Most of the coaches with HC experience have bad experience so have they learned?  To disregard Toub just because he is a ST coach and probably the best in the league at it would be folly. IMHO

• Like 2

I chose Nagy, The offenses in KC are dynamic and the QB is Alex Smith, Imagine a healthy Andrew Luck under center. He has paid his dues and deserves a head coaching job. McDaniels scares me because he has the same temperament as Belichek does but not the acumen or experience 

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

I chose Nagy, The offenses in KC are dynamic and the QB is Alex Smith, Imagine a healthy Andrew Luck under center. He has paid his dues and deserves a head coaching job. McDaniels scares me because he has the same temperament as Belichek does but not the acumen or experience 

i was with you until the paid his dues part.  If he's "paid his dues and deserves a head coaching job" then so has every single coordinator in the league :)

On 1/3/2018 at 7:24 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why? He was under him in Philly 

IMO, when looking at "coaching tree" you're looking for similarities in the schemes that are run.  So when someone says that Mike Shanahan and Andy Reid both come from the Bill Walsh tree, that means Shanahan and Reid are going to run a similar style of WC offense that Walsh created.  

That's why Superman said he considers Ron Rivera more under the Lovie Smith tree...both run similar styles of the Cover 2 4-3 defense.  

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

i was with you until the paid his dues part.  If he's "paid his dues and deserves a head coaching job" then so has every single coordinator in the league :)

IMO, when looking at "coaching tree" you're looking for similarities in the schemes that are run.  So when someone says that Mike Shanahan and Andy Reid both come from the Bill Walsh tree, that means Shanahan and Reid are going to run a similar style of WC offense that Walsh created.  

That's why Superman said he considers Ron Rivera more under the Lovie Smith tree...both run similar styles of the Cover 2 4-3 defense.  

Well I don't know all that stuff I just googled Andy's coaching tree and it showed him lol

Of the names we've seen, there are no current college coaches listed.  I know in the press conference it was mentioned that they will search all over for candidates.  Just wondering if any college coaches will be called in for an interview.  Ballard also said it would be an internal process, but that's difficult to keep mum with all the media outlets keeping tabs on things.

My hope is that the next HC is someone who can make game-time decisions, be good at clock management and oversee adjustments as the game progresses.  Obviously, a very good coaching staff is needed from top to bottom, so I don't put a lot of credence on whether a guy has been an OC or DC in the past.  Build a strong staff and let the HC manage them and the games.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Nagy had one year as an OC if he did it more then one year then yeah hire him 

59 minutes ago, J@son said:

So what about defensive coaches?  Ron's Cover 2 also has ripples of Jim Johnson's defense.  Jim worked under Andy in Philly.  So would you and Superman consider Jim to have his own tree which includes McDermott and Spags and maybe Ron or would that still fall under Reid?

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He has played and coached since 2002! Is this discussion about splitting hairs or discussing who we like??

It is not splitting hairs when discussing leadership positions.  Usually the more experience that you have actually leading a unit, then you understand what it takes from a leadership and organization stand point to run a unit and could make the jump to a team.  If you do not have that much experience, then you might not have fully developed those skills yet.  Same thing with any other job.  Most businesses don't hire CEOs who have only been Directors for one year.

6 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

So what about defensive coaches?  Ron's Cover 2 also has ripples of Jim Johnson's defense.  Jim worked under Andy in Philly.  So would you and Superman consider Jim to have his own tree which includes McDermott and Spags and maybe Ron or would that still fall under Reid?

well the tree would branch out as new coordinators are promoted.  in the example I used above, both Mike Shanahan and Andy Reid came from the Bill Walsh tree.  But now, you'll hear about guys like Doug Pederson and potentially Matt Nagy as being under Andy Reid's tree, but since Reid is under Walsh's tree both Pederson and Nagy would also be considered under Walsh's tree.  So it just depends on how high up the tree you want to go.  

To your specific example, no I wouldn't consider Jim Johnson under Reid's tree because Reid is an offensive minded coach and Johnson was a DC.  If Johnson had previously worked under a defensive minded HC and that's who he learned his defensive philosophy from, then that's who's "tree" Johnson would fall under, imo.

TL:DR version...imo the tree will be all offensive minded coaches or all defensive minded coaches.  I wouldn't consider any defensive guy to be under an offensive minded coache's "tree" nor vice versa.

35 minutes ago, J@son said:

well the tree would branch out as new coordinators are promoted.  in the example I used above, both Mike Shanahan and Andy Reid came from the Bill Walsh tree.  But now, you'll hear about guys like Doug Pederson and potentially Matt Nagy as being under Andy Reid's tree, but since Reid is under Walsh's tree both Pederson and Nagy would also be considered under Walsh's tree.  So it just depends on how high up the tree you want to go.  

To your specific example, no I wouldn't consider Jim Johnson under Reid's tree because Reid is an offensive minded coach and Johnson was a DC.  If Johnson had previously worked under a defensive minded HC and that's who he learned his defensive philosophy from, then that's who's "tree" Johnson would fall under, imo.

TL:DR version...imo the tree will be all offensive minded coaches or all defensive minded coaches.  I wouldn't consider any defensive guy to be under an offensive minded coache's "tree" nor vice versa.

So you would not consider McDaniels being under the BB tree?

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

It is not splitting hairs when discussing leadership positions.  Usually the more experience that you have actually leading a unit, then you understand what it takes from a leadership and organization stand point to run a unit and could make the jump to a team.  If you do not have that much experience, then you might not have fully developed those skills yet.  Same thing with any other job.  Most businesses don't hire CEOs who have only been Directors for one year.

Well winners get rewarded in companies all over the world every hour of the day. I own an business and I reward people that have been in this business for a long time and I allow them to be sales leaders. Nagy has done it all in his coaching years, so he is well rounded and MY choice for the colts, Agree to disagree brother 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:49 AM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If it were my decision to make, I would go with Josh McDaniels. That's just my gut opinion. As long as the next coach wins I'll be happy!

the only way to make Mel's Kiper's hair go completely gray then fall-out is to win and win more, as long as that happens, I'll be happy.  :rock:

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I know this,  I am pulling for the Titans to beat the Chiefs tomorrow so we can get Toub and Nagy in for an interview and make a decision next week.  Our new coach has a staff to put together.  Let's get the ball rolling.

I'm hoping the Titans win, but for a different reason....Mike Mularkey is probably safe with a playoff win.

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

I dont't know whose tree Rivera fits under, but I think it's clear he was influenced by a lot more than Lovie.  I definitely wouldn't consider Rivera a Lovie disciple.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Well winners get rewarded in companies all over the world every hour of the day. I own an business and I reward people that have been in this business for a long time and I allow them to be sales leaders. Nagy has done it all in his coaching years, so he is well rounded and MY choice for the colts, Agree to disagree brother 

So your sales leaders would be coordinators in the football world.  Would you think a sales leader with one year experience could do what you do?

Also, I never said anything about not rewarding people/winners so I am not sure what your point is on that issue.