Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hire the Next HC of the Colts(list updated 1/12/18)

csmopar

Hire the next HC!  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you are the GM/Owner of the Colts, who would you hire from the names rumored to be in the hunt thus far....

• Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots
    • Dave Toub- ST Cord. Chiefs
    • Mike Vrabel-DC Texans
    • Kris Richard-DC Seahawks
    • Pat Schurmur-OC Vikings (unconfirmed 1070 the fan report)
    • Other: Please comment with who and why

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Mcdaniels.  Especially when Irsay is demanding a minimum of 2 Super Bowl titles during the Luck era.  The fact that the Pats have done that and more under Mcdaniels as the OC is going to have some weight with Irsay.

I'm not opposed to him but he does make me nervous.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HeSoColt said:

Just curious as to why you'd take "most of these options" over McDaniels?!

1.He was involved in the infamous Spygate scandal, as well as a seperate videotaping scandal when he was HC in Denver.

2. Last time he had a HC coaching job he failed quite miserably,

3. Reports out of Denver and NE whether true or not go to show he is not a 'locker room' guy. Basically he is not a very likable person.

4. I personally dont think he will have success without BB and Brady.

I’ve noticed some people knocking McDaniels for having Brady as a QB on this site and some others.  But Toub is viewed as the “greatest special teams coach ever” when he had Devin Hester.  I’m sorry but I think Hester has shown himself to be great at returns with or without Toub.  Matter of fact, give McMahon (our Special Teams coach) Hester along with McAfee and Vinny and he should be considered the greatest...  So why isn’t McMahon getting HC consideration?

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why? He was under him in Philly 

And then he was under Lovie, and then worked for Norv Turner. He's a defensive coach so his influences are more closely associated with that side of the ball. Jim Johnson was the DC in Philly, and Ted Cotrell was the DC in San Diego. What would Rivera have learned from Reid 15 years ago that would be a major part of his approach now?

I consider Rivera to be part of the Lovie Smith tree more than the Andy Reid tree. JMO

Just now, Superman said:

And then he was under Lovie, and then worked for Norv Turner. He's a defensive coach so his influences are more closely associated with that side of the ball. Jim Johnson was the DC in Philly, and Ted Cotrell was the DC in San Diego. What would Rivera have learned from Reid 15 years ago that would be a major part of his approach now?

I consider Rivera to be part of the Lovie Smith tree more than the Andy Reid tree. JMO

Maybe so but everything I see has him part of Andy's tree 

12 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

But he is probably the best special teams coach in the game.  He is well respected in the league.  John Harbaugh was only a special teams coach as well.  I've seen a multitude of hot shot coordinators and college coaches fail as well.  If he interviews the best and you feel that he could lead your team then hire him.

John Harbaugh also was the coach for the Eagles Defensive back too. Toubs only did special teams and that it. That all he is known for nothing else. John Harbaugh also had the best defense in the league and defensive capt Ray Rewis which made his job pretty easy.

7 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

John Harbaugh also was the coach for the Eagles Defensive back too. Toubs only did special teams and that it. That all he is known for nothing else. John Harbaugh also had the best defense in the league and defensive capt Ray Rewis which made his job pretty easy.

Every head coach in the league started out as coach. It really don't matter what kind of coach as long as he can get players to follow what all of the coordinators and assistant coaches have to teach and instruct their players.

A good head coach can be found anywhere as long as you find the right person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

1.He was involved in the infamous Spygate scandal, as well as a seperate videotaping scandal when he was HC in Denver.

2. Last time he had a HC coaching job he failed quite miserably,

3. Reports out of Denver and NE whether true or not go to show he is not a 'locker room' guy. Basically he is not a very likable person.

4. I personally dont think he will have success without BB and Brady.

So if Belichick said he wanted to coach the Colts how would you feel about that?  He was the center if "spygate".

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Voted Other 

Matt LaFleur Rams OC

Nothing like IGNORING the explanation on why LaFleur isn't a good candidate.

There's an old saying.....    You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink....     oh well....      

I want an OC to become Colts HC and install a system which Luck can operate in for years to come. That's why I I'm not so much on the Toub bandwagon. If his OC is successful, he might leave and we have yet another new offense for AL. 

I'm interested in Shurmur b/c he built a quite respectable offense around a QB who had been cut 5 times (Keenum), got Adam Thielen (!) a spot in the Pro Bowl at WR, did well in Philly, and has head coaching experience.

There are other good OC candidates too. I think the most important thing is an offensive system being in place for many years to come.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if Belichick said he wanted to coach the Colts how would you feel about that?  He was the center if "spygate".

Obviously would be a little different story as BB is a proven head coach in this league with 5 superbowls. Although i would still be leary as in many peoples opinion he has not always "played fair". In my personal opinion the Pats superbowls will always be tarnished for these reasons. If im the owner of the Colts these are definetly things i take in to account when deciding who will lead my team.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Obviously would be a little different story as BB is a proven head coach in this league with 5 superbowls. Although i would still be leary as in many peoples opinion he has not always "played fair". In my personal opinion the Pats superbowls will always be tarnished for these reasons. If im the owner of the Colts these are definetly things i take in to account when deciding who will lead my team.

I wasn't being totally serious about Belichick. My point was no matter where the next head coach comes from they just have to be the right one..

If he was a special teams coordinator who cares if he can get the job done? Does it really make any difference where a positional coach comes from as long as he can put together a good set of coordinators?  A head coach's job is to put his team in the best possible situation to win. End of story.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Nagy, he is only 39 and is a Good OC. Has KC ties to Ballard as well so I think that relationship would click chemistry wise.

To follow this up I see Nagy is in 2nd even over Toub at the moment in our Poll. Looks like people are really in love with McDaniels. If McDaniels got hired I wouldn't complain but he failed miserably in Denver and seems like a person that is arrogant that may not be a good locker room guy. Not sure how Luck would like him either? McDaniels has been a Great OC but also has had BB and Tom most of his career as well.

9 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

BB has had the arguably the best QB ever, you want to downgrade his accomplishments as well?  Also, he didn't primarily coach the secondary as his primary coaching responsibility was special teams.  Toub helped with the defensive line during the same time frame.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Mcdaniels.  Especially when Irsay is demanding a minimum of 2 Super Bowl titles during the Luck era.  The fact that the Pats have done that and more under Mcdaniels as the OC is going to have some weight with Irsay.

Having someone that have the inside track of how Belichick’s mind work wouldn’t be bad either. They will probably still be the team to beat in AFC, if you want to go all the way.

”Thou shall not pass!”

4 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

not really the 3 4 defense need to go in indy

Pettine runs a hybrid system and conforms to his talent not the other way around.  Versatility is key for that defense.  Google Mike Pettine, and read some articles if you are interested.  It is pretty interesting regarding his philosophy.

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

not really the 3 4 defense need to go in indy

Funny thing is.... just 6 years ago, this forum was BEGGING for the switch to a 3-4 base defense........ We have some decent pieces, but if we can get a decent OLB/Edge, and some upgrades at coverage ILB, I think it'll be good.

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

I have seen Mike linked to Toub as well.

Seen that too

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

Pettine runs a hybrid system and conforms to his talent not the other way around.  Versatility is key for that defense.  Google Mike Pettine, and read some articles if you are interested.  It is pretty interesting regarding his philosophy.

Yep, and his coaching tree stems from some very good defense coaches.  Combined with the fact he actually for the browns to win 10 games in his tenure, 7 in one season, the 2nd most successful year for the Browns in the last 20-25, speaks volumes.  Yeah he went 10-22 in his head coach tenure, but it is the browns..... Even the Hooded one flamed out in Cleveland.

• Like 1