Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

22 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This guy doesn't seem very good as a 1st rounder to me...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-hooker?id=2558060

"Raw and still learning nuances of the position."
"Just one year of experience."

Uhh, if all it takes is one year of experience to make it to the NFL, I should have made it my New Year's Resolution. What exactly are you guys seeing in this pick?

A natural ball hawk who has had almost as many INTs (7) as the Colts D.  A first year player who is a freak athlete with a high celling, had 43 solo tackles and 74 total.  He was mocked in the top 10 in multiple drafts. 

Some more?

A player who's good for the community:

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/2017-nfl-draft-ohio-state-db-malik-hooker-visits-childrens-hospital-pittsburgh

A player who possibly was possibly a Colts fan:

Malik Hooker, 21, grew up a Colts fan (loved Joseph Addai). Visited a children’s hospital in the Pittsburgh area toady for his draft day.

Most of all, what Chris Ballard sees in him.  Very difficult to dislike it. 

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Look. I wanted Takk, but I love this pick. AGAIN. We just stole a top 5ish talent. A day 1 starter, who'll play at a high level the minute he steps onto the field. Best player we've drafted in 6 years after that sorry s O b Ryan got ran out of Naptown. We got a premier talent. Not a developmental prospect. So stop with all the stupid s***. And be happy......WHY???? Cause we just got an Earl Thomas type talent.

Great Post, I am out of LIKES. I like the Hooker pick and we still have 5 more picks to go. Tomorrow is a huge day ahead of us.

I like the pick defense I honestly don't care what position we draft as long as it's defense and Oline.  Don't want another WR in the 1st round!!  This pick will help our defense and it may seem ugly but it'll work.  GJ Ballard and Pagano!! 

I didn't see the part about him being a Colts fan.

Honestly, I'm good with the pick then.

Definitely see that Ballard understands its a passing league so I totally 'get' the pick even though I don't know squat about him.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Our coaching has done nothing to improve the d tackling.

There is nothing a coach can do to fix tackling. Players are held accountable for tackling. It's a technique that is learned in pee wee football. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just lost Foster to the 49ers

49ers traded a 2nd and 4th to get him too. I posted earlier we should trade back into the 1st to get "Ray Lewis"-Foster to go with our "Ed Reed"-Hooker.  I definitely would have made that trade for a 2nd & 4th. 

Just now, Johnny U. said:

Peppers more versatile and he can tackle. Couldn't believe they passed on Allen or Foster.

Peppers?? The guy who went 10 picks later? Hooker outperformed him by a LARGE margin as a safety. Hell Hooker had more pick-6's alone than Peppers had INT's, to which he had none. Peppers college versatility is virtually irrelevant in the NFL because he won't be a LB or RB.

Allen is debatable, but his 3 shoulder surgeries don't look good and Foster went 31st. So the Colts weren't the only team that didn't see the high value in him.

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

A natural ball hawk who has had almost as many INTs (7) as the Colts D.  A first year player who is a freak athlete with a high celling, had 43 solo tackles and 74 total.  He was mocked in the top 10 in multiple drafts. 

Some more?

A player who's good for the community:

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/2017-nfl-draft-ohio-state-db-malik-hooker-visits-childrens-hospital-pittsburgh

A player who possibly was possibly a Colts fan:

Malik Hooker, 21, grew up a Colts fan (loved Joseph Addai). Visited a children’s hospital in the Pittsburgh area toady for his draft day.

Most of all, what Chris Ballard sees in him.  Very difficult

That's what stuck out to when I heard it, the fact that he spent a big day for him where he could have been at the draft and made the day all about him, but instead he goes to children's hospital to put a smile on kids faces and make thier day. Speaks volumes, not selfish all about me kid.

I know you guys won't believe me lol. But last night I had a dream that I was a football plAyer, ( i guess I was me, I dunno) and I kept getting interception after interception. It was like the ball and players were in slow motion and I was super fast. I can't recall ever dreaming about playing football, I never played organized football, and I didn't know the draft was today. Maybe I was psychically predicting the future lol. I don't believe in any of that mojo but what if?? lol.

So wait let me get this straight.  The Colts flat out steal a top 5 talent and arguably the top safety in the draft at 15 and somehow there were better players and it's a bad pick??? Rofl

And for everyone who is saying he's a bad tackler, you are instantly showing you have no clue what you are talking about and just repeating what the talking heads are saying.  Hooker can tackle.  He can tackle very well.  His issue is he doesn't understand angles with runners and that mainly comes from lack of experience approaching carriers from center field.  

Im flabbergasted at how many people are complaining about this pick.  It's insane. 

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can still Draft a CB in Round 2 or 3 and Butler can actually play CB to pair up with Vontae and Green and Hooker will take Safety duties. I voted Happy, the 2nd best one. I am actually ecstatic in a way though considering most experts had Hooker in the Top 15 at worse.

Did you forget about Geathers? In no world does Green see the field over Geathers. 

28 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Honestly would have preferred Foster. Not really understanding the pick, unless Geathers is moving to LB why did we resign Butler? 

You don't pass on a potential stud because you just signed a 31yr old corner to play FS on a massive 1yr 3m deal.

Took a good paragraph on one of Ballards interviews recently so I definitely get what his vision is for us...

“We need guys defensively with speed and explosive playmaking ability, guys that can go get the ball,” Ballard said. “That’s important. Everywhere I’ve been, we’ve led the league in turnovers. In Chicago I think under Lovie [Smith] our defense was in the top five of the league every year that he was there, and then the last few years in Kansas City we’ve led the league in turnovers. And look, that was a big reason when we drafted Marcus [Peters], his ability to go get the football. Extra possessions in games, I think the average is nine, so the more possessions you could add by taking away the football is important. So the more speed you have, the more athleticism you have, guys with hands, guys that can catch the ball, guys with that can run so when the ball pops out they can get the ball, we’ve got to continue to add those type of players.”

43 minutes ago, MarvinTheGreat88 said:

"Another no-name"? I'm guessing you have not read many mock drafts leading up to today. He has been a near-consensus Top 5-10 player overall. I've seen Hooker be projected as high as #2 to the 49ers (by "The Ringer"). Sports Illustrated praises him in his player profile and rates him the 9th best overall prospect. Here's Michael Lombardi declaring Hooker as one of the Top 14 players available and a Day One starter. Another article highlights Hooker's most impressive plays since he's one of the most exciting players available in the draft.

To be fair, he has limited experience as a 1-year starter. I give you that. He also has an injury history. So I'm not completely disputing your post. No player is perfect, they all have flaws, and picking at #15 typically gives you a player with high-end talent and reasonable question marks. That's to be expected.

But to call him "no name"... I just wanted to maybe change your perspective on that one :)

Calling him a no-name was a consequence of posting while disappointed.  You were right to call me out on that one.

I appreciate your response.  You made me start to feel better about the pick.  I knew a bit about him, but genuinely didn't think he'd go as high as he did in Round 1.

On a side note, I think your post is the epitome of how to respectfully disagree with someone on the board.  A genuine and sincere thank you for that.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Peppers?? The guy who went 10 picks later? Hooker outperformed him by a LARGE margin as a safety. Hell Hooker had more pick-6's alone than Peppers had INT's, to which he had none. Peppers college versatility is virtually irrelevant in the NFL because he won't be a LB or RB.

Allen is debatable, but his 3 shoulder surgeries don't look good and Foster went 31st. So the Colts weren't the only team that didn't see the high value in him.

Why would you not want a player who can play several positions? And play them well.

16 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

49ers traded a 2nd and 4th to get him too. I posted earlier we should trade back into the 1st to get "Ray Lewis"-Foster to go with our "Ed Reed"-Hooker.  I definitely would have made that trade for a 2nd & 4th. 

Here's the problem with that...

The 49ers 2nd round pick was 12 picks HIGHER than our 2nd round pick.   And their 4th round pick is higher than ours...   by about 10 picks.

Why would they do that deal?   We'd have to offer a lot more to beat that,  plus the team would have to be willing to trade all the way down to 46 which is where we are,   rather than 34 which is where SF was.

There has to be a fit that goes both ways...

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

The only people hating on this pick are the needs based draft thinkers.

True. Even then, this pick satisfies a need! Our secondary as a whole needs a complete overhaul. How does a rare ball-hawking talent with incredible range and instincts not help the secondary? There will be corners available in future rounds. But moving forward, Hooker will make all future CB additions better.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah a top 10 player from a power house school is a no name good call bud :facepalm:

He is from a Power 5 school but so is TJ Green, and he is on line 1 for you to discuss college safeties with limited tape.

7 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

But Hooker can't move down into the box and be a mediocre LB like Peppers.....

The toxin and acidity level on this forum rn is almost below 1 on the pH scale. I can't stand the hate for this pick. Tackling is COACHABLE, instinct is not. This guy was a top 5 talent and people are mad when they knew from day 1 Ballard was picking BPA. I'm going to bed to avoid any further rising in my blood pressure from reading "we missed on allen and foster". 

33 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Honestly would have preferred Foster. Not really understanding the pick, unless Geathers is moving to LB why did we resign Butler? 

We re-signed Butler because we needed him and there was no way to know that a player of Hooker's quality would fall all the way to 15.

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

So wait let me get this straight.  The Colts flat out steal a top 5 talent and arguably the top safety in the draft at 15 and somehow there were better players and it's a bad pick??? Rofl

And for everyone who is saying he's a bad tackler, you are instantly showing you have no clue what you are talking about and just repeating what the talking heads are saying.  Hooker can tackle.  He can tackle very well.  His issue is he doesn't understand angles with runners and that mainly comes from lack of experience approaching carriers from center field.  

Im flabbergasted at how many people are complaining about this pick.  It's insane. 

You must be the same guy who tried to defend Heremans a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's the problem with that...

The 49ers 4th round pick was 12 picks HIGHER than our 4th round pick.    Why would they do that deal?   We'd have to offer a lot more to beat that,  plus the team would have to be willing to trade all the way down to 46 which is where we are,   rather than 34 which is where SF was.

There has to be a fit that goes both ways...

True. But I'd have added an extra pick from next year or this year to sweeten the deal for a chance to grab 2 top 15 talent type guys. Especially one that will be our "QB" on defense. I'm not knocking Ballard for not making the deal. Just saying it's something I would have explored.