Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

During Ballard's press conference he was asked several times where Hooker was on their board....   he wouldn't specifically say,   but he kept using the phrase "he was very high on the board,   way up there..."

But....

On the video that the team posts inside the Colts war room,  first Ballard talks to Hooker,  and then Pagano does and Chuck says the team feels like they got a top-5 pick and calls him the best free safety since Ed Reed....

So.....     clearly Hooker is top-10 and more likely a top-5 pick on the Colts board....

Ballard says he's picking BPA,   and he just proved it tonight.

I wish Chuck would learn to tone down the hype on guys.  Let the kid fly under that radar best he can.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Which is what exactly? Hooker has injury concerns like the next player. I agree with Gruden, this was a need pick instead of BPA. Sure Hooker is a good player but tell me one thing that Hooker does any better than Budda Baker. Before you make a comment like that, go and look at Baker's tape. Baker is smaller but has more sacks, less picks but is a playmaker just like Hooker which makes them similar. Hate it, like it or love it...it doesn't really matter. Tape doesn't lie.

~Facts~

That was probably the dumbest thing Gruden said all night.

Funny that Gruden praised Denver for filling a need with an inexperienced player. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-michigan-2016/

Go to 4:30 and just watch 15 seconds of film before you talk about how he "can't tackle," please. 

He is absolutely not a physically imposing tackler, he's not an enforcer or thumper. But he absolutely can make big plays as a tackler. And more importantly, he gets in good position, breaks down well and gets his arms around ball carriers to bring them down. Not quite a drag down tackler, but he's definitely not out there stoning guys left and right. 

This is a great draft pick, without a doubt. He was the best secondary player in this draft, let alone safety. To me, the only reason he didn't go in the top five -- rare air for a safety, but he belonged, IMO -- is because he's still recovering from surgery. Same reason Jonathan Allen fell to #17, but apparently Hooker's medical is less concerning than Allen's. 

I was so focused on whether Barnett would fall and so wrapped up in all the trades (what an eventful first round! I can't remember the last time so much happened in the first round. A couple years ago, there were virtually no trades, then tonight everybody wanted to be Kevin Costner...) that I forgot about Hooker. The board worked out very well for the Colts, and assuming Hooker has a clean bill of health, this will be a slam dunk draft pick. 

34 minutes ago, Shive said:

Different positions, so it's hard to directly compare them. Allen is a top 5 player that dropped due to long-term concerns with his shoulders. Foster was thought of as a potential top 10 pick, then came the combine kerfuffle, then concerns about the people he surrounds himself with, then concerns about his ability to understand x's and o's, then the diluted drug test, and finally news about how his medical re-check didn't go well. Tape was great, but there's a reason so many teams passed on him.

The fact that you think Hooker is a similar player to Budda Baker tells me everything I need to know...

And Baker is a better tackler..clearly you don't know everything. Don't feel bad though...no one does

Just now, BOTT said:

I wish Chuck would learn to tone down the hype on guys.  Let the kid fly under that radar best he can.

Well...

I suspect Chuck thought it would be a private call and wouldn't get out....    but yeah,  I agree with you,  point taken.

With the 15th pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts select: Jesus of Nazareth, Linebacker, Bethlehem Christian.

Scouts: Oh man, I just love this pick. Jesus is a DAY ONE starter for the Colts, and was my number one guy across all boards. This is an absolute steal. Jesus leaves it all on the field, and is a tremendous leader. He's got great feet, and can practically float sideline to sideline. Superb hand skills, and can leave opposing players breathless.

Colts Fans; OMG TERRIBLE PICK!!! Did you see that play where he took five extra seconds to help that guy up after his injury!?!? He's super selfish. I mean, why would he let that guys with the broken leg sit there that long before healing him?? Ugh. Also, do you know he destroys places of worship? Like, wow, Do we REALLY want that kind of attitude on this team.

Man, there is truly no pleasing some of you is there?

8 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Which is what exactly? Hooker has injury concerns like the next player. I agree with Gruden, this was a need pick instead of BPA. Sure Hooker is a good player but tell me one thing that Hooker does any better than Budda Baker. Before you make a comment like that, go and look at Baker's tape. Baker is smaller but has more sacks, less picks but is a playmaker just like Hooker which makes them similar. Hate it, like it or love it...it doesn't really matter. Tape doesn't lie.

~Facts~

Coaches don't think like GM's....     He said he was surprised that Hooker went so early at 15?

I mean,   seriously?      Who didn't have Hooker in every mock projecting in the top-10?    Almost no one.   At least, no one who follows this stuff.     

I don't know why you try to compare Baker with Hooker.     Baker's name still hasn't been called.    There's a reason for that.     Not only is he not as good,  he much smaller in every respect...    not a great comparison.

2 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

~Facts~

Hooker's medical re-check came back "as good as it could possibly be". He didn't miss any time and his injuries aren't ones that would be a concern from a re-injury standpoint. Your other 2 favorites have significant injury concerns. One long-term in Allen and one with a bad medical re-check in Foster.

Budda is definitely a playmaker, but I don't see him on the same level as Hooker.

2 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

It wasnt dumb. Its a fact you Hooker lovers wanna ignore.

Lol. Ballard could have picked any defensive position and it would have filled a need.  I like Gruden, but that was borderline mentally challenged.

I am thrilled. I don't do mocks or any of that so sometimes I think some upset are just mad that their mocks and predictions were wrong.

Whats not to like?

This dude is huge and has talent beyond the sun. The name Malik Hooker is like.......a rock star name. And he just kicks aazz.

And thats it, thats my expert analysis. And I dedicated this pick days ago to Gavin, so it will work out great.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-michigan-2016/

Go to 4:30 and just watch 15 seconds of film before you talk about how he "can't tackle," please. 

He is absolutely not a physically imposing tackler, he's not an enforcer or thumper. But he absolutely can make big plays as a tackler. And more importantly, he gets in good position, breaks down well and gets his arms around ball carriers to bring them down. Not quite a drag down tackler, but he's definitely not out there stoning guys left and right. 

This is a great draft pick, without a doubt. He was the best secondary player in this draft, let alone safety. To me, the only reason he didn't go in the top five -- rare air for a safety, but he belonged, IMO -- is because he's still recovering from surgery. Same reason Jonathan Allen fell to #17, but apparently Hooker's medical is less concerning than Allen's. 

I was so focused on whether Barnett would fall and so wrapped up in all the trades (what an eventful first round! I can't remember the last time so much happened in the first round. A couple years ago, there were virtually no trades, then tonight everybody wanted to be Kevin Costner...) that I forgot about Hooker. The board worked out very well for the Colts, and assuming Hooker has a clean bill of health, this will be a slam dunk draft pick. 

Yes, Hooker can tackle well enough.  He just needs to improve the angles he takes to the ball.  Hopefully he can be coached up on that and can improve by simply playing more and getting more reps and experience.  Overall due to his ball hawking skills and rare range he was a very good pick for the Colts at 15. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I wanted Takk more than any other player. And say what you want, but that (The way he just acted) is one of the reasons we should've taken him. So passionate. YES that is passion. Relentless. No holds bared. Non stop motor, freak athlete. Kids gonna be a superstar and I really wish we had taken him.

Nobody drafts just based on passion alone.

You can put a picture of Takk on your wall and stuff if you want. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Coaches don't think like GM's....     He said he was surprised that Hooker went so early at 15?

I mean,   seriously?      Who didn't have Hooker in every mock projecting in the top-10?    Almost no one.   At least, no one who follows this stuff.     

I don't know why you try to compare Baker with Hooker.     Baker's name still hasn't been called.    There's a reason for that.     Not only is he not as good,  he much smaller in every respect...    not a great comparison.

I'm not necessarily comparing the two, but what I am saying is AS DEEP AS THIS DRAFT IS AT SAFETY, A PLAYER LIKE BUDDA BAKER COULD HAVE BEEN THE PICK. But again, I'm not saying Baker is better than Hooker...that doesn't matter really. What does matter is that edge, that d-line and the middle linebacker spot. 

As fans we have our wants and preferences.  I certainly have mine.  But I have no doubt that Ballard at least knows what he is doing.  All though it wasn't what I had in mind...this was a very good pick.  No prospect is perfect but Hooker brings a lot of rare attributes to the table.  Hopefully, he can develop into a pro bowl caliber safety and patrol our secondary for years to come.

This was my board for the Colts from before the draft:

Here's my list

1. Myles Garrett
  2. Marshon Lattimore
  3. Malik Hooker
  4. Solomon Thomas
  5. Jamal Adams
  6. Reuben Foster(if cleared by Ballard)
  7. Johnathan Allen

I am HYPED! Short of Myles Garret somehow falling to us I don't think there was a much better situation we can be in. We had our pick of the litter among 3 of my top 7 players and that's without moving up. Amazing. I LOVE IT!

Yeah, I think people mistake poor angles with inability to tackle. I think he can tackle relatively well, he just takes bad angles at times. This is COACHABLE! What is not coachable is his range, his speed and size, and his INSANE BALL SKILLS. We got a blue chip prospect and we did it without losing any draft capital.I'm extremely happy with our first pick.

I wanted Takk more than any other player. And say what you want, but that (The way he just acted) is one of the reasons we should've taken him. So passionate. YES that is passion. Relentless. No holds bared. Non stop motor, freak athlete. Kids gonna be a superstar and I really wish we had taken him.

I like Takk too but he showed a lack of restraint in the interview with Deion but we got a solid playmaker so I'm happy. Not to mention kudos to Malik for doing charitable work at a children's hospital on the biggest day of his life. I like the character already.

I liked Foster's nastiness and Allen's flexibility but they both came with a little concern. I was initially a little bummed (I liked Foster's nastiness for our D) but if Hooker continues to develop he could be an amazing game changer without the injury concerns.

Wow, look at the awareness and instincts this kid brings! Those are of the charts for a young player, let alone a player that only played one year? This is a crazy good pick. Every Colt fan should feel blessed today. He has the potential to be an elite support of our corners. Soooo excited man! :rock:

36 minutes ago, Exodus said:

With the 15th pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts select: Jesus of Nazareth, Linebacker, Bethlehem Christian.

Scouts: Oh man, I just love this pick. Jesus is a DAY ONE starter for the Colts, and was my number one guy across all boards. This is an absolute steal. Jesus leaves it all on the field, and is a tremendous leader. He's got great feet, and can practically float sideline to sideline. Superb hand skills, and can leave opposing players breathless.

Colts Fans; OMG TERRIBLE PICK!!! Did you see that play where he took five extra seconds to help that guy up after his injury!?!? He's super selfish. I mean, why would he let that guys with the broken leg sit there that long before healing him?? Ugh. Also, do you know he destroys places of worship? Like, wow, Do we REALLY want that kind of attitude on this team.

Man, there is truly no pleasing some of you is there?

I haven't read everything,  but I've read a lot tonight.....     lots of good smart insight from some really great posters....    and then lots of complaining from the usual suspects who never understand why the GM doesn't think exactly as they do?!?

So....   with all that said....   this post,  by Exodus,  for me at least,  is the Post of the Day!

Bravo!!      Well done, Sir!!         :thmup:

:colts:

I'm only disappointed because I was hoping to find our next Dwight or Robert, those guys are hard to find like QBs. Still have a lot of draft to go so can't lose it yet.

After reading up on him and seeing his highlights (which are pretty good when most, if not all came from one huge season) I'm liking how Ballard picked impact potential. Wasn't a reach when you look at our secondary.

I absolutely LOVE this pick. Hooker was my favorite player in the draft and the guy I was crossing my fingers for to fall to us at 15. When he did I was on the edge of my seat to hear his name. Some people on here say Budda Baker is a player we could have drafted that's a similar to Hooker, and a safer pick based on need and that there were other BPA options on the board that fits our need better. I say that's nonsense. Hooker was in my mind the BPA. Even at a safety it fills a CB need as it makes Butler more versatile were we can keep him in the slot more often and we can pick a #2 CB still in the 2nd round. This pick makes Gathers and Green more versatile as well, with Gathers playing that LB/S hybrid and Green playing more in the box as a SS and covering TE/RB if he improves in coverage skill.

Not only has Ballard said he wanted BPA, he wanted players that can create turnovers on D. Hooker will do this for us no doubt about it. Can anyone tell me how many turnover Foster had in his college career??? This might shock people but the answer is ZERO! No interception No fumble recoveries, and No forced fumbles!!! That right there I am just as ecstatic that we passed on Foster as I am that we drafted Hooker.

Great Pick and I can not wait to see what rounds 2 and 3 have in store for us tomorrow. For those people who don't like this pick.... well IDK what else I can say. 

I absolutely LOVE this pick. Hooker was my favorite player in the draft and the guy I was crossing my fingers for to fall to us at 15. When he did I was on the edge of my seat to hear his name. Some people on here say Budda Baker is a player we could have drafted that's a similar to Hooker, and a safer pick based on need and that there were other BPA options on the board that fits our need better. I say that's nonsense. Hooker was in my mind the BPA. Even at a safety it fills a CB need as it makes Butler more versatile were we can keep him in the slot more often and we can pick a #2 CB still in the 2nd round. This pick makes Gathers and Green more versatile as well, with Gathers playing that LB/S hybrid and Green playing more in the box as a SS and covering TE/RB if he improves in coverage skill.

Not only has Ballard said he wanted BPA, he wanted players that can create turnovers on D. Hooker will do this for us no doubt about it. Can anyone tell me how many turnover Foster had in his college career??? This might shock people but the answer is ZERO! No interception No fumble recoveries, and No forced fumbles!!! That right there I am just as ecstatic that we passed on Foster as I am that we drafted Hooker.

Great Pick and I can not wait to see what rounds 2 and 3 have in store for us tomorrow. For those people who don't like this pick.... well IDK what else I can say. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I think people mistake poor angles with inability to tackle. I think he can tackle relatively well, he just takes bad angles at times. This is COACHABLE! What is not coachable is his range, his speed and size, and his INSANE BALL SKILLS. We got a blue chip prospect and we did it without losing any draft capital.I'm extremely happy with our first pick.

I 100% agree with you stitches. From both the good and bad highlights I've watched of him, its all poor angles. It's most certainly not a lack of want to or how to.  He's definitely not afraid of contact. He's just trying to be the 1st one there. Lol.  It's like he has the desire and instincts to want to make plays. They get him into trouble when coming down on the run.  That's bad but it can be coached up or out of him. But it may still be something that he is never elite at. 

That being said, that same desire and instincts combined with the ball skills he brings to the table make him an ELITE coverage specimen. And the positives that he brings to pass coverage far outweigh his tackling deficiencies against the run. You can tell this kid has ELITE anticipation and ball tracking skills. And I do mean ELITE. I can't recall us having a guy with his kind of talent. Maybe Ray Buchanon? This guy quickly reads and reacts.  And ironically, unlike when defending the run,  his angle of pursuit when tracking the ball in flight is outstanding. It's like he's the receiver.  

It's also kinda ironic that Hooker and Green kinda have similar deficiencies. Difference being Hooker has the instincts and ball skills that Green has never shown. If Green doesn't pan out, this pick could really define the career of Ballard while slamming the door shut on Grigs. Part of me kinda hopes that Green could eventually transition to SS and Geathers could bulk up some more and move to LB in the future.  

Would a move like that be possible or even plausible?  Could Geathers' frame handle the added weight?  Would he be able to shed blocks and make tackles?

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I have done a lot of amateur scouting over the past month, and he was my favorite player in this draft.

I am pretty sure the Colts had him ranked 4th on the board. 

temp2017_0427_Draft_0206--nfl_mezz_1280_

Evidently they viewed Barnett as a Sam. Can't see them drafting a Sam prospect at #15...

Malik Hooker is the anti-TJ Green. I love the Hooker pick as much as I hated the TJ Green pick last year.

Horrible coverage vs elite coverage

Horrendous ballskils vs elite ballskils

best attribute - run support vs worst attribute - run support

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Evidently they viewed Barnett as a Sam. Can't see them drafting a Sam prospect at #15...

Yeah, he was too slow for EDGE in our scheme, IMO. I know you loved him, but probably his fit wasn't great with what we want from our OLBs.

2 hours ago, Johnny U. said:

The safety is the last line of defense. Isn't much good if he can't tackle.

Last line of defense doesn't only mean on the ground, it also means in the air and that is where Hooker will make his plays worthy of this pick. Turnovers win games and Hooker will create a lot of them in a pass happy league and playing against QBs like Bortles, Savage, Watson, and even Mariota in our division, let alone any other QB we will play. With teams like the Rams, 9ers, Bills, Broncos, and Ravens who don't have a QB. Granted the ravens have a QB but they also like to throw so I see potential for turnover there.

29 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

Last line of defense doesn't only mean on the ground, it also means in the air and that is where Hooker will make his plays worthy of this pick. Turnovers win games and Hooker will create a lot of them in a pass happy league and playing against QBs like Bortles, Savage, Watson, and even Mariota in our division, let alone any other QB we will play. With teams like the Rams, 9ers, Bills, Broncos, and Ravens who don't have a QB. Granted the ravens have a QB but they also like to throw so I see potential for turnover there.

Bills have medicore QB but Taylor doesn't throw many picks, only 12 the last two seasons. He avoids MOF like plague.