Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

2 minutes ago, MarvinTheGreat88 said:

What the heck, Colts fans?! Did our fanbase have a collection really bad day today?! GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE haha. Let's happy up!! I just watched this live at Buffalo Wild Wings with my buddies & began seeing the Hooker possibility around pick #10. As it became more possible that we'd have a shot at him, my heart beat quickened. Then came pick #14, which guaranteed that we'd have our choice of Hooker, Allen or Foster. I was in shock.

Then it happened - somehow, someway we landed Malik Hooker! Woohoo!! What an amazing and surprising pick. For a franchise that has neglected its' defense for a decade, it's refreshing to see us finally select the following:

1) A defensive STUD with a high-ceiling

2) A consensus Top 5-10 projected player overall

3) Arguably the best defensive player at his position

4) Fits a position of need (our entire secondary needs overhauling, not just CB)

5) Represents great value, rather than being a reach

Are you kidding me?! This is great!

Then I came home and was so excited to get on this forum, which I read and enjoy daily. I expected nothing but overjoyed ecstasy from our beloved Fan Forum. But boy... I sure was wrong.

Rather than feed into this bizarre and ridiculous negativity, I'm here to enjoy this pick. Today is a great day. I remember so many stupid, dumb, "reach" draft picks over the years. We've used 1st rounders on TE's, on WR's, on Bjoern Freaking Werner. Heck, we've even traded a 1st-rounder for... yep, Trent Richardson.

This pick is the OPPOSITE OF THAT. For once, you can read a Colts Draft Day article and take pride in our pick. That makes me feel really, really good. Thank you, Chris Ballard, for taking advantage of a surprising draft board and taking the best talent on the board. I cannot wait to watch him develop not only as a rookie, but throughout what will hopefully be a multi-Pro Bowl career.

Let's go, Colts!!

Great Post!

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, bigt said:

With all the linebackers and dline FA's brought in, it won't surprise me if we go CB in rounds 2 and 3.  The secondary has been neglected for so long and it's time to address it like we did the Oline last year.  We have nothing beyond Davis except Melvin.  Hopefully, we are set at safety with Geathers, Hooker, Butler, and Green.

With the Hooker pick Butler could very well now be moved back to his natural slot position thereby improving our corner situation some. We still need to find our number 2 corner. 

Would someone describe what you want from a FS in today's pass happy NFL I feel like i'm wrong on some of my analysis. Hooker has great hands not good but great hands. Is a play maker one of the knocks on Ed Reed was tackling i think that will improve but he has some range that is elite. Range you don't see at pick 15. I think its a steal i thought he'd be gone by 15 but we lucked out with some offensive players going a touch earlier than expected. If you think he wasn't high on our board re-watch how quick we got our pick in. I think he can be Earl Thomas like this is a great pick. This team will take a few drafts and off seasons to get right but this guy is a play maker. I don't buy the one year wonder thing at all. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

With the Hooker pick Butler could very well now be moved back to his natural slot position thereby improving our corner situation some. We still need to find our number 2 corner. 

I think we will still Draft a CB but I can see Green and Hooker at Safety's, Vontae and Butler at Corners.

His tackling bothers me. I know a safety shouldn't be known for his tackling, but our years stuck with chuck have taught us that tackling isn't something they seem to put much emphasis on. If Hooker is failing to tackle someone that means it's probably 6 points.

He's a better player than Green. I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to move Green.

It's just bugging me because we spent a 2nd on Green last year, a 1st on Hooker tonight, and we seem to have long-term plans for Geathers. That's a lot of stock for three guys fitting into two spots.

They wouldn't try to convert Green to corner.... right?

Oh. Oh my. Oh my what an awful thought...

I admit I was disappointed with this pick initially but I admittedly did not know much about this kid and had my sights locked in on Foster or Allen.  After familiarizing myself with Hooker and learning that he was the best available player at 15, I am starting to warm up to what Ballard did there.  We now have a ball hawking safety and it allows Butler to return to his natural slot position.  We improved our secondary on two fronts with one pick and got value to boot. 

49 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Another no-name with limited tape, limited experience (at least in the sport of football), injury history, and no tackling ability.

Beyond bummed out by this pick.  

"Another no-name"? I'm guessing you have not read many mock drafts leading up to today. He has been a near-consensus Top 5-10 player overall. I've seen Hooker be projected as high as #2 to the 49ers (by "The Ringer"). Sports Illustrated praises him in his player profile and rates him the 9th best overall prospect. Here's Michael Lombardi declaring Hooker as one of the Top 14 players available and a Day One starter. Another article highlights Hooker's most impressive plays since he's one of the most exciting players available in the draft.

To be fair, he has limited experience as a 1-year starter. I give you that. He also has an injury history. So I'm not completely disputing your post. No player is perfect, they all have flaws, and picking at #15 typically gives you a player with high-end talent and reasonable question marks. That's to be expected.

But to call him "no name"... I just wanted to maybe change your perspective on that one :)

6 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

A steal. Everyone says this was a slam dunk besides Gruden. This guy is easily a top 10 pick and getting value like that at 15. Can't complain.

No one NFL Network liked this pick either.. time will tell... but there was a lot of talent that would have been a better choice at 15...

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

Injury history... 1 yr starter.. poor angles and misses tackles... We needed a lot more than a safety.  Butler would be fine... We need CB, EDGE, LB.... with Allen and.lots more available,  more of a Grigson pick

I agree!  Wish we would have taken Harris. Too bad the coin flip cost us Barnett.

I wanted Takk more than any other player. And say what you want, but that (The way he just acted) is one of the reasons we should've taken him. So passionate. YES that is passion. Relentless. No holds bared. Non stop motor, freak athlete. Kids gonna be a superstar and I really wish we had taken him.

30 minutes ago, bigt said:

To all the people calling him incomplete and a project player, he was the number one rated FS on every mock draft board in a decent safety class (compared to Earl Thomas and Ed Reed).  Give me a freaking break.  Some people just like to be unhappy.

It's truly baffling, right? I cannot believe how much negativity is on this board. We took advantage of a bizarre early draft board and landed arguably the top secondary talent in the class. This is a great day!!

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

Injury history... 1 yr starter.. poor angles and misses tackles... We needed a lot more than a safety.  Butler would be fine... We need CB, EDGE, LB.... with Allen and.lots more available,  more of a Grigson pick

We can still Draft a CB in Round 2 or 3 and Butler can actually play CB to pair up with Vontae and Green and Hooker will take Safety duties. I voted Happy, the 2nd best one. I am actually ecstatic in a way though considering most experts had Hooker in the Top 15 at worse.

33 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Absolutely ecstatic ive been dying for a ball hawk saftey on our colts guy has ed reed takeaway potential 

Yeah the thing is I feel the Colts have always been bass aackwards with their safeties.  I always though of Gaethers as a SS, Landry as a SS and they play them @ FS.  Now this seems to give them the ability to rotate Hooker @ FS and Gaethers @ SS which I think personally is a more natural position for him.  I don't think they've had a pure ball hawk type fella @ FS since I can remember.  This will give them a lot of flexibility hopefully if it pans out AND the ability for the backfield to remain solid if Davis is gone.

I still expect them to draft a CB however, rush, possible ilb, and  some ol. 

Again though, I don't know #*)@ just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah the thing is I feel the Colts have always been bass aackwards with their safeties.  I always though of Gaethers as a SS, Landry as a SS and they play them @ FS.  Now this seems to give them the ability to rotate Hooker @ FS and Gaethers @ SS which I think personally is a more natural position for him.  I don't think they've had a pure ball hawk type fella @ FS since I can remember.  This will give them a lot of flexibility hopefully if it pans out AND the ability for the backfield to remain solid if Davis is gone.

I still expect them to draft a CB however, rush, possible ilb, and  some ol. 

Again though, I don't know #*)@ just my opinion. 

I agree totally about us and our safties finally we got one that is a beast in coverage 

17 minutes ago, drums1st said:

Dang, I thought CB was a bigger need. We got nothing beyond V. Davis at corner. 

The 2nd starting corner could have been addressed. 

D. Butler or T.J. Green could have competed for that FS type position. 

I know they'll draft a corner or two in later rounds but the really good guys will be gone. 

Hope this works out. 

Peace

I would be in total agreement. Doesn't mean we are negative or doesn't mean we don't know what we are talking about.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree totally about us and our safties finally we got one that is a beast in coverage 

Thing is he may be like Matheiu who can play EDIT: Saftey @ the next level when he played CB in college.  Could be a flip for Hooker where he plays CB @ the next level???  The thing is I have no idea how the Colts will use him.  In the end I agree though the FS should be covered barring injury.  Pending on his hip surg they may be wise and do some rotation for the first half of the season, no clue. 

This guy doesn't seem very good as a 1st rounder to me...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-hooker?id=2558060

"Raw and still learning nuances of the position."
"Just one year of experience."

Uhh, if all it takes is one year of experience to make it to the NFL, I should have made it my New Year's Resolution. What exactly are you guys seeing in this pick?

33 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

There were 3 QBs taken along with 2 WRs, plus 2 RB. The only thing askew was the teams who jumped up to pick mediocre QBs. Doesn't mean something is wrong with hooker. 

Exactly. We just happened to take advantage of a perfect-breaking board ahead of us. You could see it happening. Teams panicked to reach big-time on QB's and WR's. That just guaranteed that a few good defensive players were going to fall in our lap. Plus heading into the draft, nobody projected Hooker to "fall" due to any issues. In contrast to Allen/Foster, who each had pre-draft issues facilitating their fall, Hooker just happened to be the 2nd safety and 3rd overall secondary player taken.

This draft was loaded with top-tier defensive talent, and we scooped up one of those studs. Gotta love that 1st-round good luck :)