Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Who wants a player to develop? We need instant D starters.

Always want a player to develop. No player, none is perfect to NFL standards on day 1. Kid has flaws that are easily fixed with decent coaching. The only concern I have is his hip/hernia

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I cant believe some of you guys don't realize we just STOLE a top 5-6 talent. He's Earl Thomas man. The tackling will improve and we're gonna have a top 5 FS for the next 8-10 years. SMDH

Plus you gotta love the name Hooker. LOL. But only a high class Hooker. lmao 

He fell to 15 so something is askew. He's a project and Pagano isn't known as a talent developer. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There is no sure thing in the draft, that is a load of nonsense. Plus, we are several players away from being a SB contender, so you take the guy with the biggest upside here. That was clearly Hooker at that point.

Ballard played free agency for the pass rush with Simon and Sheard, he got pretty much ZERO outside help for the secondary. 

Not if we take advantage of all this mess. Get Tim Williams in the 2nd-3rd. Conley in the 3-4. Jourdan Lewis in the 4th. Then we're instant SB contenders. Hell. Maybe Takk falls to 45????

All I know is all cast members of the NFL Network and ESPN gave this a thumbs down and it was the first thumbs down of all the first 15 picks. Gruden was especially tough on him as he said he was "shocked that he went so early". So the guy was a First Team Al American and our new GM is innocent until proven guilty so I shut up until further notice.

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

He fell to 15 so something is askew. He's a project and Pagano isn't known as a talent developer. 

He fell to 15 because 3 teams traded up for a QB, 3 teams went WR, and 2 teams went RB.

He's not a project.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Not if we take advantage of all this mess. Get Tim Williams in the 2nd-3rd. Conley in the 3-4. Jourdan Lewis in the 4th. Then we're instant SB contenders. Hell. Maybe Takk falls to 45????

Conley is going Round 1. It's already been reported

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I cant believe some of you guys don't realize we just STOLE a top 5-6 talent. He's Earl Thomas man. The tackling will improve and we're gonna have a top 5 FS for the next 8-10 years. SMDH

Plus you gotta love the name Hooker. LOL. But only a high class Hooker. lmao 

I hope your right I really do. 

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

Yeah like tons of teams trading up for mediocre QBs and the run on WRs...... I think because the deep defensive draft this is, it forced teams with offensive skill needs to focus there first

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

BPA in action! I love this pick!

I was wanting to change my Conley pick to Hooker in our contest, it was a gut feeling but I did not. I remembered 2011 when I had charted out an article where Boston College and Michigan OTs were the most successful OTs in the league. I did not think Castanzo would fall to us, so Coffeedrinker pointed out why I did not choose a BC OT in the contest. The same feeling happened to me when I was reneging on Conley, could Malik Hooker fall to us? He did and like 2011, I did not place him despite my gut telling me to do so. I am just glad we got Hooker. I did get him in a fanspeak draft though, see other thread. :) 

6 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Who wants a player to develop? We need instant D starters.

I never meant he wasn't a "instant D starter." He clearly is. I am just saying don't expect him to be All-Pro out of the gate (though it certainly is possible with how little time it has taken him to become this good). 

His instincts are off the charts and its even more incredible considering his limited experience with football. He is a good pick, basically a steal. He is a PLAYMAKER. That is what this defense needs the most. A guy that can come in, make plays, CHANGE GAMES. Ballard is all about those one or two elite traits and playmaking ability. We only had 8, EIGHT, TOTAL picks last year. Good addition.

This draft has a bunch of depth on the edge and CB. The board wasn't that great for CB or Edge. Ballard stuck by his word: Best Player Available. We will be fine, plenty of time in the draft to pick up a starter at CB. 

Ballard did say, he would make picks that may not be that popular.  Also, at positions that may not be of high need.  I certainly have mixed feelings, but got to trust him, I suppose!  With Geathers/Green, and Butler moving to S, I definitely would've wanted to trade up and get Lattimore or Barnett.  Or even D. Cook!  Hooker is a very talented player, so I suppose it is okay, but definitely not an IDEAL pick...

14 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

He's definitely a project to get up to speed. 

He needs to improve, like all rookies, especially his tackling form, but Hooker is far from a prjoect player, he is a Day one Starter at FS, Butler goes back to the slot......  Green backs up and plays ST's

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If run D is improved, teams have to throw on us. If you are expecting a free safety to be your best tackler, there is something clearly wrong with that defensive philosophy, my dear fellow fans!!! Deion Sanders wasn't a great tackler either, but he could cover. Instead of a jack of all trades, we got someone very good at playing center field. 

The voice of reason. I like it!!!

Just now, King Colt said:

All I know is all cast members of the NFL Network and ESPN gave this a thumbs down and it was the first thumbs down of all the first 15 picks. Gruden was especially tough on him as he said he was "shocked that he went so early". So the guy was a First Team Al American and our new GM is innocent until proven guilty so I shut up until further notice.

I don't trust anything Gruden says. He was giving two great teams when he coach and didn't build anything. He's just a personality point black period. 

27 minutes ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

Wanted Reuben Foster, Yet We Got A Guy Who Had Two Surgeries

you must mean Lattimore?  Haven't seen anything about Hooker and injury issues, ok he had hip surgery and a hernia, but nothing expected to be chronic, he played behind all americans early in his career, so less wear and tear than most his age, even if inexperienced.....

Just now, Shafty138 said:

He needs to improve, like all rookies, especially his tackling form, but Hooker is far from a prjoect player, he is a Day one Starter at FS, Butler goes back to the slot......  Green backs up and plays ST's

Yeah, You'll have him and Geathers together maybe a very solid combo. 

14 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Screw what ESPN or NFL Network say. lmao Come on brothers. Hooker's a premier ball hawking FS. One thing we've been lacking for years. Now lets get Tim Williams, Joe Mixon, Gareon Conley, and Jourdan Lewis and like I said......ITS FREAKING ON. 4 1st RD talents, and 1 2nd RD talent. Immediate SB contenders.

how are we gonna get 3 dudes who will all be gone by the end of the 2nd? lol

One of the biggest knocks on Hooker is his lack of experience.  There's nothing he can do about that now.  All he can do is play and get as many reps as possible.  He has a DB-minded head coach to work with him, and he has some Earl Thomas-like abilities.  If Geathers stays healthy, Hooker and Geathers could be a QB nightmare for years to come