Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need to make a play for Wade Phillips DC

Indeee

Chances are that if Vance Joseph, who is a defensive guy, gets the Broncos gig he may want his own stamp on that defense and it may conflict with Wade's. Wade's contract is also just about over as well. If I'm the Colts I make a play for wade and give Monachino and farewell. wade has done a lot with a lot less from a defensive perspective.

Of course this is all pipe speculation, but I would entertain it if it was available.

While Philips and even Rex Ryan look attractive as a DC, I think we should give Ted one more year and a couple playmakers through the draft and FA before we do anything with him. It was his 1st year as a DC with mediocre talent and a long list of injuries. Just my .02. 

If Kyle Shanahan ends up being their HC, it is very likely that Wade is retained. Given the clout those defensive guys enjoy there, it is in their best interest to retain Wade. It is very much like John Harbaugh inheriting a team with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, what Kyle Shanahan would be walking into. The D will take care of itself if they retain Wade so that Kyle can worry about their O more.

While I think the Colts HC and OC position could be some of the most appealing job openings in the NFL (if they were open), I really don't see that being the case for our defense. Plus, I'd admittedly be skeptical of working under Ryan Grigson if I was a DC.

But yeah, if they could get him I'd be all for it.

I love Wade Phillips, but considering his age, well he's not going to be a long-term solution.  now if we could bring him in as some sort of consultant, similar to what Tom Moore is in Arizona to have him work with Monachino for a couple of years, that would be great!

All that said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting Monachino go if Phillips would only come here as a DC, but we'd want to figure out who was going to be his successor so that they can work with him in a mentor/apprentice type role while he's here.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Chances are that if Vance Joseph, who is a defensive guy, gets the Broncos gig he may want his own stamp on that defense and it may conflict with Wade's. Wade's contract is also just about over as well. If I'm the Colts I make a play for wade and give Monachino and farewell. wade has done a lot with a lot less from a defensive perspective.

Of course this is all pipe speculation, but I would entertain it if it was available.

I know the bold part helped dramatize your point, but you don't really believe that, do you?

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Kyle Shanahan ends up being their HC, it is very likely that Wade is retained. Given the clout those defensive guys enjoy there, it is in their best interest to retain Wade. It is very much like John Harbaugh inheriting a team with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, what Kyle Shanahan would be walking into. The D will take care of itself if they retain Wade so that Kyle can worry about their O more.

Shanahan is exactly who they will hire I'm sure

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Yes, great idea on canning the DC. Last year I thought we needed to make significant assistant coaches changes and let Chuck get his guys.  Maybe this will be the year Irsay lets Chuck hire his guys and prove it's not his fault that the team looks so unprepared so often.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Yes, great idea on canning the DC. Last year I thought we needed to make significant assistant coaches changes and let Chuck get his guys.  Maybe this will be the year Irsay lets Chuck hire his guys and prove it's not his fault that the team looks so unprepared so often.

Ted Monachino is Pagano's guy (worked together at the Ravens), Manusky was Pagano's choice too (when they couldn't get Keith Butler, then assistant to Dick LeBeau).

Pep Hamilton was not Pagano's guy, IMO, but Chud was (worked with Pagano before). Joe Philbin, I am not sure.

At least the OC and DC are Pagano's choices based on his past connections.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ted Monachino is Pagano's guy, Manusky was Pagano's choice too. Pep Hamilton was not Pagano's guy, IMO, but Chud was. Joe Philbin, I am not sure.

At least the OC and DC are guys Pagano's choices based on his past connections.

Hopefully he just forgot his sarcasm emoji 

I'm inclined to give Monachino some time. I mean this was his first year as a DC and probably knew going in that there wasn't going to be much in the way of a pass rush and really good LB's at that....let's see what he can do when(if) they're able to upgrade the pass rush and linebackers. Once those are in place, we could see a big increase in defensive efficiency. Even if the team just goes up to average defense wise, the offense could more than offset that.

19 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Maybe I am remembering this wrong, but I could've sworn I saw somewhere that he did not want to be a head coach because he believes his best fit is as a DC.  I could be wrong.

His history would indicate that for sure

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

I would to he's done wonders with underachieving defenses.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

I wish, but I'd be ok with Manusky back at this point. 

Lol at least he blitzed 50% of the time when we had no Mathis but he was vanilla...this defense isn't vanilla as his but no blitz and any running back with agility and quickness could juke everyone on the defense on an outside run 

I like the idea of hiring Wade Phillips.    He's a top DC.

But it's hard to see a scenario where he'd want to come to Indy with the terrible lack of talent we have on that side of the ball.      At his age,  I don't think he wants to spend the next 2-3 years building a new defense hoping to get back to the post season.

He wasn't to win now.     If he leaves Denver,  I'd think he'd want to go someplace much closer to a Super Bowl than the Colts are.

Sorry......    it's just hard to see that happening....

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Which underachieving defenses?   The defenses he has had have been loaded with talent

I think the poster is saying the defenses he's taken over were under-achieving before he got there,  and then Wade made them much, much better.

That's my read of his post.........       but you never know....?

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

I don't know... we have nowhere near the talent Denver has.

This is what we do: When Wade rejects us, we say to him, "Well, I guess managing our defense is indeed a tough challenge. We can understand if you'd want to run away. We can't blame you. This job isn't for the faint of heart after all. We're not even sure if your father could do it. By the way, we have your family held hostage."

12 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol at least he blitzed 50% of the time when we had no Mathis but he was vanilla...this defense isn't vanilla as his but no blitz and any running back with agility and quickness could juke everyone on the defense on an outside run 

How sad were some of the runs against us in the oak/jax games?

RB's untouched literally until 10 yds down field. Some huge cutback lanes.

I'd go after him if it were possible just because any extra scheming we get would be helpful even though he wouldn't get much talent to coach. Even if it's only a small improvement, it's still something.

I'd love for Phillips to become DC, but I  wouldn't be expecting a '15 Denver Broncos defense to take shape within his first season. Not happening. However, I don't doubt that between the draft and free agency, he could turn it into a somewhat respectable unit. But if we're being realistic, that'd probably good enough for this team to win 11 or 12 games. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:15 AM, Indeee said:

I read where Vance Joseph's coaching idol is Wade Phillips..

.....If Joseph is hired.,...he'd want Phillips and the other defensive coaches to come back

..might be different if Kyle Shanahan was hired

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I read where Vance Joseph's coaching idol is Wade Phillips..

.....If Joseph is hired.,...he'd want Phillips and the other defensive coaches to come back

..might be different if Kyle Shanahan was hired

Earlier I read on Twitter that Vance Joseph is likely to have Joe Woods (current Broncos DB coach) as defensive coordinator he gets the Broncos HC job. I tried to find it again bu no luck yet. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it.

Edit: I did find an article that speculates Phillips out in Denver if Joseph is the head coach.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/01/05/Vance-Joseph-will-can-Wade-Phillips-if-hired-by-Denver-Broncos/2601483657963/

strange..on one of the Denver Broncos web sites........they guess that one of the reasons Joseph would get the job is the high regard he has for Phillips....Joseph was the DB coach when Phillips was the DC in Houston

He is quoted as saying how much he admired Phillips way if coaching

definetly conflicting stories

...who is the guy on twitter ?