Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why cant Irsay drop the axe?

Nesjan3

52 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You should stay away from talking about the things that Irsay does and does not know.  You don't really have any idea.

With how condescending you are you should probably stay away from the boards. You always seem to feel the need to respond to every comment you don't like. And always in a manner to try and make someone sound foolish. Stop taking things so literal.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

With how condescending you are you should probably stay away from the boards. You always seem to feel the need to respond to every comment you don't like. And always in a manner to try and make someone sound foolish. Stop taking things so literal.

In the foolishness department, you don't need my help there.  

I was just curious to know how you are aware of the things in Irsay's mind.  

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I think at the very least Josh McDaniels would be available as an interested candidate for HC. I think he'd do a better job over Pagano. For GM candidates I like Eric Decosta and Nick Caserio. I think Grigson has slightly been better than Pagano though. 

I don't want Josh McDaniels he set Denver back if not for Manning falling into Denver's lap(thanks to the Colts ironically) they would still be digging out of it. 

Plus I see him taking over Belichick when he chooses to hang it up.

19 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

Fire them after the Jacksonville game or we will waste another year! Colts are lacking talent and there is no progress at all. The Offensive Line is still a mess and we don't have a Defense and we can't accept injuries as excuse any longer. 

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong again.  I think you could say we disagree.  But that's okay,  that's what this board is for.  

31 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

Fire them after the Jacksonville game or we will waste another year! Colts are lacking talent and there is no progress at all. The Offensive Line is still a mess and we don't have a Defense and we can't accept injuries as excuse any longer. 

Injuries are never an excuse unless you're talking about a legit franchise QB going down. The only people who use injuries as an excuse are blind fans.

37 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

wrong the offensive line has been doing the job of late. so we need to stop blaming the the line

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Could it be he has carefully considered that NO GM or coach has ever been faultless? Could it be that he realizes that the Colts were one of the most injured teams this year? Could it be that bringing in a new regime has its own drawbacks? If the Colts do not win a SB in the next 3 years, your question might warrant some merit. Relax, it takes time to build a championship and the Colts are close. Let's see how the draft goes and how the team responds next year.

3 years?  You want to wait until Luck is 30?

Also, close?  We're not even a playoff team, let alone a championship contender

One or two personal shots at Irsay's problem with drinking. Super uncalled for. You guys should be ashamed to say such things. 

I hoping he does "drop the axe" because this team would be much better off. We went into rebuild mode and the foundation was not stable.  A few screws/nails loose and two of the more important ones are Grigson and Pagano. It's no disrespect to Pagano, but I really feel this guy is here because Irsay has a heart. Pagano recovered from cancer and I feel Irsay has a soft spot for him. As for Grigson's extremely poor decisions, I couldn't say why he keeps this guy around. Probably gives great birthday and Christmas gifts.

Just now, Shepman said:

So for all you let's cut X who is out there that is proven in the NFL that can come in here and turn it around?  I am not saying I wouldn't make a change but only if it was a sure thing; otherwise, you are just starting all over again gambling.  

So keep a bad coach and gm just cause there isn't a guarantee the next ones will be better? Seems stupid as hell.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So keep a bad coach and gm just cause there isn't a guarantee the next ones will be better? Seems stupid as hell.

That's because you are playing with Monopoly money and emotion.  Unless a can't miss becomes available I give it another year especially at GM. Now I don't think I would have grouped 2 unproven GM and HC in the beginning but my guess is emotions of Ravens Defenses got the best of us.

13 minutes ago, Shepman said:

That's because you are playing with Monopoly money and emotion.  Unless a can't miss becomes available I give it another year especially at GM. Now I don't think I would have grouped 2 unproven GM and HC in the beginning but my guess is emotions of Ravens Defenses got the best of us.

Yeah but you still have to try. You can't just settle for mediocrity. If it takes 3 coaching/GM changes until we find the right fit, so be it. I'd rather have losing seasons knowing Irsay is trying than just keeping Pagano and Grigson because we could have worse. Better coaches and GMs have been fired for less.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Could it be he has carefully considered that NO GM or coach has ever been faultless? Could it be that he realizes that the Colts were one of the most injured teams this year? Could it be that bringing in a new regime has its own drawbacks? If the Colts do not win a SB in the next 3 years, your question might warrant some merit. Relax, it takes time to build a championship and the Colts are close. Let's see how the draft goes and how the team responds next year.

This forum is the only place I've ever seen a fan seriously say, Be patient, wait for the 8 year plan.

Eight year plan?  In today's NFL?

By the way, the Colts aren't remotely close to anything.  How could anyone look at this team and believe they are headed in the right direction?  At no time in the near future could you possibly, with this defense, defeat Brady, Roethlisberger or Carr in a playoff game.  Other possible AFC playoff teams - Chiefs, Broncos, Texans...  Yeah, even with lesser QBs, we lost to all of them too.

Pagano and Grigson need to be fired based on what happened in the divisional games. The losses to Jacksonville and Houston were coaching and leadership abominations. Win two of those and they are AFC South Champs and this thread doesn't exist.  

The Pats don't have overall superior talent.  They have a consistent system they know by heart and they work on execution.  Luck has new coordinators every year and execution is inconsistent.  When I watch our team, I never feel confident they will get a 1st down or get that stop on defense.  Geathers stopping Murray is the closest clutch play I've seen in a while.  Freeney ....you knew he would get that sack when you needed it.  Coaching or talent? I think we need our best players to be leaders and to make plays when it counts.  Our punter has it in spades.  

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I appreciate your input and opinions as a colts fan.  But to say we are close is something really far off!!  Last year showed how the colts function without Luck.  We can't have a team like this anymore.  Houston has been through 7 franchise QB we went through 1 and we have 1 now.  At least Houston can hang in there with top teams outside of the division with there defense.  We need a new GM and HC.  I love Pagano but his defense isn't working could be Grigsons fault!  But I'm tired of Grigson drafting players that last 1-2 seasons then gets cut.  Grigson destroyed this team.  Grigson had a ton i means ton of salary cap to work with and he whiffed on all of them!!

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

If I were owner, I'd sit down to hear what the regime has to say.   I would also express how unhappy I am with the offensive play calling, which only every now and again is any good, I would express how I question the in-game decision management, and I would very strongly express my utter dissatisfaction with the lack of defensive progress five years in.

Given the extensions handed out last year and given what I consider to be a very encouraging draft this past year, depending upon what Grigs and Pags have to say, I might give them the benefit of another year.   I would make it very clear, though, that 8-8 without Luck is one thing, but to now go 7-9 or 8-8 WITH Luck is an unacceptable regression.  Ergo, if things do not significantly improve in the 2017 season, then I will be looking to intervene to right the ship.

I would evaluate Grigson and Pagano independent of each other, though.  If one makes noticeable improvement, but one does not, them I would not necessarily be inclined to make wholesale changes just for the sake of change.  

If he's made up his mind to get rid of them both, there is no reason to sit down and have a talk. Talking is why we're in the mess we're in. Grigson was forced into drafting the way he did. He drafted 4 o linemen because Irsay told him he had to protect Luck. And what did drafting 4 o linemen do?  It forced Grigson to neglect other needs like pass rushers, etc.  We will be perpetually trying to play catch up.  Pagano also fired virtually his entire coaching staff. When you fire your entire staff then you need to be gone too. 

23 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

I appreciate your input and opinions as a colts fan.  But to say we are close is something really far off!!  Last year showed how the colts function without Luck.  We can't have a team like this anymore.  Houston has been through 7 franchise QB we went through 1 and we have 1 now.  At least Houston can hang in there with top teams outside of the division with there defense.  We need a new GM and HC.  I love Pagano but his defense isn't working could be Grigsons fault!  But I'm tired of Grigson drafting players that last 1-2 seasons then gets cut.  Grigson destroyed this team.  Grigson had a ton i means ton of salary cap to work with and he whiffed on all of them!!

By no means am I a Grigson apologist. But how did Grigson destroy a team that was 2-14 when he was hired? If anything success came way to fast and they never reloaded!

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you think there's a chance that the guy who is in the building with this team every day and knows all the little secrets that rarely get out,    do you think that Irsay knows his team a little better than the average fan?

Come on now.........    of course he does.

Lol, the marriage is failing yet no one has the cajones to end it. You don't need to be an expert to see when a marriage is failing buddy. Even tho said spouses know one another better than anyone outside of the marriage. This logic doesn't make sense to me. You have pagano with an actual cranchise QB fail every year. This is unacceptable, and before anyone says firing coaches can result in bad play, I would love a few examples of any of them having a legitimate franchise QB. This is where everyone turns a blind eye when wanting to keep pagano on the payroll. Why turn a blind eye? We have the single most important position covered and covered well, yet are a losing team. Losing teams miss the playoffs. Losing teams lose against the worst division in football. Losing teams are inconsistent. A 5 year head coach should never be this inconsistent. 

13 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

By no means am I a Grigson apologist. But how did Grigson destroy a team that was 2-14 when he was hired? If anything success came way to fast and they never reloaded!

IMO they never actually were able to rebuild because they had as much success. This past year was kinda like a rebuild I had a pretty good feeling they weren't going to be great this year they had alot of holes very little captain space and we were trying too grab comp picks. This year with as much cap space and decent draft position and more experience from Grigs I expect alot. Now if they are sub par again next year I'll lead the angry mob.

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Really???......

I think we're closer to the celler of the division than the top, especially while griggs & pagano are here.

8 hours ago, indy1888 said:

I'll bet you money if the 2 are retained, there will be plenty of season tickets not renewed. Interested?

It's not like those seat will just sit empty.  There are many waiting to be STH.    The stadium will be full and there will still be a waiting list 

Actually Grigson made some nice draft picks this yr didn't sign a bunch of aging untalented FA.  It seems to me he may have listened to Irsay and has corrected his mistakes.  So he is showing an upward trend. Yes we need to address the defense.    It IMO he did a pretty good job taking care of the Oline this yr.

Pagano on the other hand is still making bad in game decisions with clock management bad use of timeouts. Bad bad bad trick plays  using guys like Ferguson over and over for the first few games when it was obvious he wasn't ready.  Not going for 4th and one when he needed to. Bad choice of coordinators etc etc 

Grigs has faults but between the two one is showing progress one is not 

im ok keeping Grigson and getting a new HC and new coordinators 

I'd hate to have you people get your hopes up. I don't see Grigs or Pagano getting the axe after this season. I think Irsay knows the bad past drafting and FA signings have caught up with us so he's giving them some slack to catch up. Grigs has to really nail this coming draft and see how well we play next year before I see Pagano and Grigson getting fired if we have another bad season.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you think there's a chance that the guy who is in the building with this team every day and knows all the little secrets that rarely get out,    do you think that Irsay knows his team a little better than the average fan?

Come on now.........    of course he does.

Just because he is in the building every day doesn't mean he comprehends what's up with the team. The janitors are in the building everyday also and may well understand more about what is going on

6 hours ago, #12. said:

This forum is the only place I've ever seen a fan seriously say, Be patient, wait for the 8 year plan.

Eight year plan?  In today's NFL?

Nobody is suggesting Grigsano deserves eight seasons. But way too many fans here THINK they know how to run an NFL franchise.  

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Lol, the marriage is failing yet no one has the cajones to end it. You don't need to be an expert to see when a marriage is failing buddy. Even tho said spouses know one another better than anyone outside of the marriage. This logic doesn't make sense to me. You have pagano with an actual cranchise QB fail every year. This is unacceptable, and before anyone says firing coaches can result in bad play, I would love a few examples of any of them having a legitimate franchise QB. This is where everyone turns a blind eye when wanting to keep pagano on the payroll. Why turn a blind eye? We have the single most important position covered and covered well, yet are a losing team. Losing teams miss the playoffs. Losing teams lose against the worst division in football. Losing teams are inconsistent. A 5 year head coach should never be this inconsistent. 

What Colts team are you watching?

We are likely going to win Sunday.    We beat the Jags and we're 8-8.

That means in 5 seasons with Grigson/Pagano,  the Colts will have had ZERO losing seasons.

These are the kinds of posts that make me wonder about the fan base.

We have had zero losing seasons under Pagano.    And when we wake up Monday,  I'm expecting that number to remain ZERO.

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

For all of you that say we aren't close....  what is the difference between this team and the AFCCG team 2 years ago?   

That team still had some vets that helped like Reggie Wayne plus the Colts I think lucked out getting that far they played the Bengals who can't win a playoff game and the Broncos with Manning who was on his last legs.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Injuries are never an excuse unless you're talking about a legit franchise QB going down. 

Thats something that sounds all well and good in theory, but in real life its not that simple. No coach is going to use injuries as an excuse, but anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense knows  that in real life, injuries absolutely can be the difference in winning and losing. Especially when they seem to be constantly occurring to the same position groups, such as the OL and secondary. 

1 hour ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Pagano better be gone on Black Monday.

I'm not saying I am opposed to that but I expect him to be back unless Irsay thinks he can get a big name coach to replace him. Grigson only goes if that's what it takes to get a big name coach. It has been a disappointing season filled with missed opportunities but I don't believe the season itself is enough to make Irsay hit the reset button.

Irsay is part of the problem. Back in the late 90's, Bill Polian made the job of being Colt's owner a lot easier.  The problem is there aren't any Bill Polian ' s out there.  It's on Irsay to make the right hire at the right time.  I'm remain unconvinced it's going to happen though