Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why cant Irsay drop the axe?

Nesjan3

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I've gone back and forth with myself thinking which one of them to get rid of first.  If I could only fire one, I'd fire Pagano.  Grigson at least had a decent offseason last year.  Pagano continues to make bad in-game decisions and the coaching staff makes questionable decisions all the time.

I'd still pick Grigson better players will mask the coaching with a better D we win a ton more games this year 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd still pick Grigson better players will mask the coaching with a better D we win a ton more games this year 

I think we have more talent than the coaching staff uses.  They don't optimize the talent this roster has.  Many people like the last offseason Grigson had, but the coaching staff doesn't take full advantage and doesn't always put players in the best positions.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think we have more talent than the coaching staff uses.  They don't optimize the talent this roster has.  Many people like the last offseason Grigson had, but the coaching staff doesn't take full advantage and doesn't always put players in the best positions.

We have hardly no talent on the D side of the ball Grigson has ignored that side long enough should be fired just for that reason 

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The talent on defense is embarrassing.  

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We have hardly no talent on the D side of the ball Grigson has ignored that side long enough should be fired just for that reason 

He's been ignoring it because he's been trying to build the offense.       I'm not defending him, just explaining.

he has a franchise quality QB,  so he's been trying to surround him with the needed pieces.    It's just taken far too long to do that.....     Far too long.

So, now it's time to build the defense.     And it won't get done with one off-season.    It's going to take a couple of off-seasons.      I wish it wasn't so and would love to be wrong,   but I don't see it.

We can make the playoffs next year winning the division.     But more than that is going to be hard....

On 12/25/2016 at 7:01 PM, IndySouthsider said:

By no means am I a Grigson apologist. But how did Grigson destroy a team that was 2-14 when he was hired? If anything success came way to fast and they never reloaded!

Yes your dead on with that.  Grigson first draft was great he hit on almost every single player.  But what I meant is Grigson tried to reload in FA.  We colts was in the top 5 teams in the NFL with a huge I mean a huge salary cap.  And what did Grigson do sign a ton of horrible to average players at best to his team friendly contract.  That's how Grigson destroyed this team!! And afternoon the first draft it was all down hill from there also!!

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's been ignoring it because he's been trying to build the offense.       I'm not defending him, just explaining.

he has a franchise quality QB,  so he's been trying to surround him with the needed pieces.    It's just taken far too long to do that.....     Far too long.

So, now it's time to build the defense.     And it won't get done with one off-season.    It's going to take a couple of off-seasons.      I wish it wasn't so and would love to be wrong,   but I don't see it.

We can make the playoffs next year winning the division.     But more than that is going to be hard....

I partially agree, I think Grigson has tried to bring in defensive talent, but it hasn't worked out.

Bjorn Werner 

LaRon Landry

Erik Walden (solid player)

Trent Cole

Mike Adams

Kendall Langford

Were all brought in to hopefully make a difference as role players while on offense he swung and missed on:

Andre Johnson

Hakeem Nicks

A million different journeyman offensive lineman 

So I wouldn't really say he "ignored the defense" to build an offense.

The guys who he's brought in on defense, just haven't worked out. I think in 2013 or 2014 the Colts actually had the most money invested on defense than any team in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I partially agree, I think Grigson has tried to bring in defensive talent, but it hasn't worked out.

Bjorn Werner 

LaRon Landry

Erik Walden (solid player)

Trent Cole

Mike Adams

Kendall Langford

Were all brought in to hopefully make a difference as role players while on offense he swung and missed on:

Andre Johnson

Hakeem Nicks

A million different journeyman offensive lineman 

So I wouldn't really say he "ignored the defense" to build an offense.

The guys who he's brought in on defense, just haven't worked out. I think in 2013 or 2014 the Colts actually had the most money invested on defense than any team in the NFL. 

You're probably right on the money involved.     But that's because we were building the offense with cheap draft picks.      We had to "buy" a defense on the free agent market.

Now that the offense is most, but not entirely set,   it's time to spend draft picks on the defense....

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're probably right on the money involved.     But that's because we were building the offense with cheap draft picks.      We had to "buy" a defense on the free agent market.

Now that the offense is most, but not entirely set,   it's time to spend draft picks on the defense....

One big reason I'm not giving up on Pagano and Grisson. Last years draft was a success. If the Colts do just as good in this year's draft I truly believe the Colts will win the AFC south

3 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Listening now to Kravitz on JMV.  Both are saying they're hearing rumblings that Irsay may be making a full-court press to bring Peyton back in the organization.  

That would be amazing, if true. I want Peyton as OC and would gladly pay ANY growing pains that might come with it! ANY!

1 minute ago, grmasterb said:

Listening now to Kravitz on JMV.  Both are saying they're hearing rumblings that Irsay may be making a full-court press to bring Peyton back in the organization.  

Yeah, JMV been hinting at that for a while now. Rumor was that Manning wants part ownership if he takes a GM job like that though. Maybe he could be talked out of that last part for now though. Apparently there were some late night conversations between the 2 the night of the reunion that has led to this. I'd be all for it though, bring him in and he would for sure surround himself with the right people to help with the process. 

8 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Big Joe was talking about this a lot on the morning show with Grady too. Big Joe hinted, imo, that he has heard rumblings of this too. He really likes this possibility.

Just now, Mr Clueless said:

I understand this is what people are talking about, but GM? Is that really Peyton's strength? I'm thinking OC + assistant to the HC. But maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. :headspin:

My hunch is that Peyton wishes to follow Elway's path.

6 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Yeah, JMV been hinting at that for a while now. Rumor was that Manning wants part ownership if he takes a GM job like that though. Maybe he could be talked out of that last part for now though. Apparently there were some late night conversations between the 2 the night of the reunion that has led to this. I'd be all for it though, bring him in and he would for sure surround himself with the right people to help with the process. 

Regarding ownership, the one issue I think may sway Irsay is estate taxes.  His daughters may have to pay a big estate tax bill upon Jim's passing.  To be fair, that may not be much of an issue considering potential tax law changes, and Jim may already have a life insurance policy in force to cover potential taxes.  I'm less clear on gift taxes and whether Jim can gradually transfer shares of the team to his daughters. Still, by Peyton having partial ownership, it may reduce the tax bill while still keeping the team in his family.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree, but the coaches don't do much to make it better.  Antonio Morrison in coverage?  That's asking for trouble

I don't know who could make it much better.  I actually thought Manusky did a respectable job considering the talent level.

1 hour ago, grmasterb said:

Window dressing.

Being a great player is no guarantee of being a great executive.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Window dressing.

Being a great player is no guarantee of being a great executive.

True, but.....Peyton has a great mind, he has a great eye for talent, and reading defenses, and I happen to believe he  also has the ability to make a great executive. I think he'd  also be great to have on board for scouting, and being involved with the Draft.

10 minutes ago, Gramz said:

True, but.....Peyton has a great mind, he has a great eye for talent, and reading defenses, and I happen to believe he  also has the ability to make a great executive. I think he'd  also be great to have on board for scouting, and being involved with the Draft.

Not to be argumentative...

How would we know if he has a great eye for talent?

He's never been a scout or participated in the scouting, evaluating or drafting process.

He played with the guys who the team provided him with.      I've never read here that Polian consulted with Peyton over who to draft......

If you could elaborate that would be helpful....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's never been a scout or participated in the scouting, evaluating or drafting process.

He played with the guys who the team provided him with.      I've never read here that Polian consulted with Peyton over who to draft......

Oh, but you do want to be argumentative... haha

I don't have any proof.  Just going on what I've  heard other coaches, and fellow players have voiced over the years about him, his mind, his ability to see things.

You weren't here when Peyton was here. You came on board with Luck.  I'm not sure you can grasp the respect most have for him.

I foresee nothing but good coming out of having him on board with our organization, no matter what the capacity.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have faith that Jim would surround Peyton with good football people.

12 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I don't have any proof.  Just going on what I've  heard other coaches, and fellow players have voiced over the years about him, his mind, his ability to see things.

You weren't here when Peyton was here. You came on board with Luck.  I'm not sure you can grasp the respect most have for him.

I foresee nothing but good coming out of having him on board with our organization, no matter what the capacity.

It could be the greatest thing that has ever happened to the Franchise = Peyton for GM, then again it could blow up in our face? I happen to like the idea because of Peyton's high Football IQ and his competitive drive. He has been around the game his whole life. He is such a big icon here as well/greatest Indianapolis Colt player ever, I almost feel like he belongs here in Indianapolis.

Obviously most of you are content to settle for an average season which is 8-8 and above, I consider this low expectations.  Whenever you have low expectations, you are embedded in mediocrity which this team is in right now. I consider a winning season is being in the Super Bowl aka the Big Dance year in year out, however you want to term it.  This is what I call a level of success for any business. But this team conduct themselves business as usual, go out there play your game, earned your money, and the distinction of being labeled for the most part  overrated every year, which this team is in right now....Unless Irsay start  snorting some common sense pill, your team isn't going nowhere, no how, not anytime soon,  not probably in our life time,  that's just the facts.....

Peyton for GM is receiving a lot of positive comments.  Just wondering if you think he could ever recruit Harbaugh as a coach.  Could it work?  Both icons in the minds of Colts fans.  Could their personalities mesh.  Could he mesh with Saban or any of the name college coaches.  He would be calling the shots.  Would a new coach with a powerful personality be able to take direction from.  Could Peyton as GM actually hinder our ability to hire what everybody wants, a real experienced NFL head coach?  Just wondering.  

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

Have you been reading the posts from Superman?      He's been a Colts fan for far, far longer than I have.

Please view his posts that they speak for me as well.    I share his viewpoint.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Have you been reading the posts from Superman?      He's been a Colts fan for far, far longer than I have.

Please view his posts that they speak for me as well.    I share his viewpoint.

Yes, i have read them.  You two have his viewpint, I have mine. 

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

Yes, i have read them.  You two have his viewpint, I have mine. 

My point is....   Superman has been a Colts fan for a very long time.      I've been a Colts fan for a shorter time.

We have the same viewpoint.       Being a Colts fan for a long time doesn't automatically mean I'm going to want Peyton as the GM without any training for the job.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My point is....   Superman has been a Colts fan for a very long time.      I've been a Colts fan for a shorter time.

We have the same viewpoint.       Being a Colts fan for a long time doesn't automatically mean I'm going to want Peyton as the GM without any training for the job.

Okay....and Bill Polian says Peyton is ready to be GM immediately.   We all have opinions, don't we?

On 12/25/2016 at 0:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Speaking of complete ignorance.....

I love a fan who think he knows more about the owners team than the owner.    Especially an owner as involved as Irsay.      He's an owner who is around this team every day.       He's not an owner who lives elsewhere and shows up on game day.       He knows his team well.

But you think you know it better.....

Now THAT'S complete ignorance.

You must be from the younger generation.  Complete ignorance is resigning a coach and gm instead of firing them last offseason like everyone said they should of been,the writing was on the wall last year that this wasn't gonna work - can't say that they got better in the drafting players cuz any * could of chose draft oline heavy starting with kelly since that was the biggest need. Anyway everybody has an opinion and hey if it keeps going down this road there are atleast 15 teams better than the Colts to cheer for, eventually alot of fans will get fed up with  this train wreck.

3 hours ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

You must be from the younger generation.  Complete ignorance is resigning a coach and gm instead of firing them last offseason like everyone said they should of been,the writing was on the wall last year that this wasn't gonna work - can't say that they got better in the drafting players cuz any * could of chose draft oline heavy starting with kelly since that was the biggest need. Anyway everybody has an opinion and hey if it keeps going down this road there are atleast 15 teams better than the Colts to cheer for, eventually alot of fans will get fed up with  this train wreck.

I'm from the younger generation only if you think being born in 1957 makes me young.

I'll be 60 in a month.

Been a football fan for 50 years.

Covered the NFL as a member of the media for 20 years.     Covered sports in general for 30 years.

Have continued to follow football even after my media days.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned.....   the fact that you call 8-8 two years in a row "a train wreck" tells me all I need to know about you.....

Goodness gracious...           :facepalm:

17 hours ago, Gramz said:

Okay....and Bill Polian says Peyton is ready to be GM immediately.   We all have opinions, don't we?

I'm not sure that Polian's comments can be taken absolutely literally.  A lot of times, comments like that are filled with hyperbole just to make whatever player they're talking about sound as good as possible. 

19 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Obviously most of you are content to settle for an average season which is 8-8 and above,

This is based on...what?

I consider a winning season is being in the Super Bowl aka the Big Dance year in year out, however you want to term it. 

You have GOT to be kidding.  I understand that every team has the ultimate goal of getting to the SB, but no team reasonably expects to be IN the SB year in and year out. 

But this team conduct themselves business as usual, go out there play your game, earned your money, and the distinction of being labeled for the most part  overrated every year, which this team is in right now....Unless Irsay start  snorting some common sense pill, your team isn't going nowhere, no how, not anytime soon,  not probably in our life time,  that's just the facts.....

I'm just gonna leave this here for you:

http://www.auburn.edu/~murraba/fact.html

18 hours ago, Gramz said:

Just wanted to acknowledge that I looked it up and you are right.

Bill Polian did indeed say that back in February.      I confess I was very, very surprised.

Thanks for pointing it out.      Always appreciated.