Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This belongs on Irsay's fridge

19colt

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Well, I'm not sure what you're lookin for here but from what I can see that P.Manning fella was purty good.  And that A.Luck fella looks like he has a good start.  He reel gud.

I think the takeaway from the table (Colts perspective) is that Luck is well on his way to finishing at or above where Manning is. I find that to be quite incredible considering he has already missed time with injury in his young career. 

1 minute ago, 19colt said:

I think the takeaway from the table (Colts perspective) is that Luck is well on his way to finishing at or above where Manning is. I find that to be quite incredible considering he has already missed time with injury in his young career. 

Oh yeah - and he is already well passed that Brady guy that is supposed to be so great and all!

12 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Really? That was why you wanted Irsay to hang this on his fridge? I thought you wanted him to put it up as a reminder to get a damn defense!

21 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Yeah, But Manning will most likely end up with much more wins. 

Regarding Andrew it's only fair to compare him to guys that have been drafted this decade because he's still young. Since the 2010 Draft only Russell Wilson has been better regarding winning % for starting QB's that have started in at least 30 games for a solid sample size. Here's a look at the QB list since the 2010 Draft that have had hype behind them. Their overall Regular Season/Playoff record:

1. Russell Wilson 62-25-1 71.3% - Best Playoff run = Won a SB

2. Andrew Luck 45-29 60.8% - Best Playoff run = Championship Game appearance

3. Andy Dalton 54-38-2 58.7% - Best Playoff run = Has never won a Playoff game!

4. Cam Newton 54-41-1 56.8% - Best Playoff run = SB appearance

5. Colin Kaepernick 31-31 50% - Best Playoff run = SB appearance

6. Ryan Tannehill 37-40 48.1% - Best Playoff run = Has never made the Playoffs!

7. Jameis Winston 14-16 46.7% - Best Playoff run = Has never made the Playoffs!

8. Kirk Cousins 18-21-1 46.2% - Best Playoff run = Lost his only Playoff game!

9. Derek Carr 21-25 45.7% - Has never made the Playoffs!

10. Sam Bradford 31-44-1 41.3% - Has never made the Playoffs!

11. Robert Griffin III 14-25 35.9% - Lost his only Playoff game!

- I just reeled off 11 big name QB's that have been drafted since 2010 and Luck ranks 2nd in winning % out of the 11 and has a Championship Game appearance. Only Wilson has been better in the winning category. Newton and Kaepernick got their team to the SB but failed to win.

Yet, everyone wants Josh McDaniels. Maybe we can boost the #3 offense (minus the Tolzien game) to #2.

That chart is one hell of an indictment on this organization.  This organization certainly has made it as difficult on Manning and Luck as it possibly could.  It's been even worse for Luck.  Look at the other names and the number of years played by the other QBs on the list.  Divided by years played, Luck is #1, even above Manning.

Next to this on his refrigerator, Irsay should have a sign reading, Don't fall for late season victories.  Two wins at 6-8 in 2015 got Grigson and Chuck new deals.  Don't again fall for what happens at 7-8 in 2016.

A couple things you have to take into account when looking at that:

Aaron Rodgers did not make a start until his 4th year in the NFL

Brady did not start his rookie year

Peyton missed 2011 season

Brett Favre did not start his rookie year despite making 4 passes

19 hours ago, 19colt said:

I'm hopeful that within all those number somewhere is at LEAST one championship.

I wish I understood why we can't build a D here in Indy. 

Offense, no problem, D forget it. I'm sure some will say we had some good ones, but they were usually bad without a lead where they could pin there ears back and get after the QB.

I mean we won that Mia game years back where the D couldn't get off the field even if they were given shotguns to take out the other team.

Didn't we win that one with like 10-15 minutes of TOP on offense??

You want O, come to Indy...D's not sold around these parts.

29 minutes ago, IinD said:

Offense, no problem, D forget it. I'm sure some will say we had some good ones, but they were usually bad without a lead where they could pin there ears back and get after the QB.

I mean we won that Mia game years back where the D couldn't get off the field even if they were given shotguns to take out the other team.

The problem is our coaching staff lacks good fundamentals, and we see this time and time again with tackling.

Back during Peyton's days, bad tackling extended onto special teams, where we seemed to give up a special teams TD on every game (including the Superbowl against Devin Hester), which is why as a Colts fan, I was relieved when the NFL made special teams harder by removing wedge blocking and starting possession at the 25-yd line.

It's committing to defense in the draft. After drafting Luck, they should have gone D in the next few rounds instead of trying to get him "weapons" with 2 TE's. The first overall pick in the draft IS your weapon! Then they blow a first rounder on Richardson trade and Dorsett. They tried with Werner and failed miserably, but at least they tried.

First thing I noticed:

For their entire careers, Peyton Manning has 100+ wins with a defense ranked 16th or worst, despite having defensive minded head coaches for most of his time in Indy (another reason why Dungy doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, but I digress).  On the other hand, Tom Brady has just 19 wins.  Not to turn this into a Peyton vs. Brady thread, but that's eye-opening.  Peyton has 5 times has many wins as Brady when playing with a bad defense

13 hours ago, IinD said:

Indy had a #1 and #2 ranked defense in 2005 and 2007 - the only two years Bob Sanders was healthy. So even with possibly the best defensive end play over a decade with Freeney and Mathis, the defense was still almost always ranked poorly for points allowed. The exception being 2009 when the 7th ranked D lost the SB. The play of the offense and special teams aside, if Freeney plays in the second half its a different game. 

22 hours ago, IinD said:

when peyton became the sheriff

What screams to me is that Brady always has a great defense to support him.

What is Peyton or Luck had an average defense?? We would have several more banners in the rafters 

We ask way to much of our quarterbacks.  Bad Management, Bad Scouting, Bad Vetting and Bad Drafting 

i think what really needs to be looked at is how many Championships have been won by the QB's at or near the bottom of the page! Sure Manning was a great QB. One of the best QB's of All-time, but holding up the Lombardi Trophy is a team effort and when your Defense Sucks you may win 93 games but you only win 1 Championship!

To me this goes to show the greatness that is peyton manning. Most experts who don't already believe he is the greatest ever, always say his one knock is his lack of super bowl wins and playoff losses. Well, this stat shows that no one did more with far less than the sheriff. Many people say Brady is the best ever and I don't want to make this a Brady v manning debate so I'm sorry for this......but I really think Peyton would of won at least 2 or 3 more rings if he had belichick and the pats defense especially from around 2002 to 2006 or so. You add those hypothetical rings with all his stats and no doubt he is the greatest to play the game in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Yeah it is amazing.  Brady is ranked that low because his defenses are always seemingly at least decent to great.  Hoping to see fewer wins in this column in the future for Andy though by means of having our defense NOT qualify for this "award".  But Andy has been carrying things no doubt.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

But, Patriot fans told me their defenses have been bad...

Of course they do.  Anything that makes St. Thomas look like a "football gawd".  They probably tell you Belichick sux and the division is a powerhouse too.

What this chart says is that Peyton won more games with a terrible defense than anyone else and Luck is on pace to pass him. You want to be low on that list, not higher. With a better defense, we'd be closer to the likes of Steve Young, Terry Bradshaw, and Joe Montana that have actually won Super Bowls, not just regular season games.

I also don't put too much stake into this chart either, because of the range they used. There's a HUGE difference between the #16 defense and the #32 defense.