Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Trouble for Week 4 vs. J'Ville....

NewColtsFan

OK....     let's not sugar coat it....   our o-line, already plagued by injuries and inconsistent play has its biggest challenge of the season so far.

In no specific order....

--- Harrison is out because of emergency appendectomy...

--  Reitz still has a bad back, but he traveled.

--  Good still has a bad back,  but he traveled.

It's not clear if either will be able to play,  but the team is praying they will...

--  Our right side of our line could include Clark,  Blythe and Haeg.        Seriously, not kidding.      If Reitz and Good can't go,  our right side could be manned by two rookies, which, of course, would make for THREE ROOKIES on the line including Kelly.        Honestly,  it would be a disaster if this happens.     So, cross your fingers that Good and Reitz can play and play at a level that doesn't hurt the team.      

This is a bad time for this to happen....   but life in the NFL is often not fair....   and this is one of those times....

Oh.....    I got this info from a story on the front page of the website....     

http://www.colts.com/news/article-notebook/Colts-Could-Be-Shuffling-Right-Side-Of-Offensive-Line-This-Week/cce551da-a7fb-4a6f-a16b-0850f43a3b04

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....     let's not sugar coat it....   our o-line, already plagued by injuries and inconsistent play has its biggest challenge of the season so far.

In no specific order....

--- Harrison is out because of emergency appendectomy...

--  Reitz still has a bad back, but he traveled.

--  Good still has a bad back,  but he traveled.

It's not clear if either will be able to play,  but the team is praying they will...

--  Our right side of our line could include Clark,  Blythe and Haeg.        Seriously, not kidding.      If Reitz and Good can't go,  our right side could be manned by two rookies, which, of course, would make for THREE ROOKIES on the line including Kelly.        Honestly,  it would be a disaster if this happens.     So, cross your fingers that Good and Reitz can play and play at a level that doesn't hurt the team.      

This is a bad time for this to happen....   but life in the NFL is often not fair....   and this is one of those times....

Oh.....    I got this info from a story on the front page of the website....     

http://www.colts.com/news/article-notebook/Colts-Could-Be-Shuffling-Right-Side-Of-Offensive-Line-This-Week/cce551da-a7fb-4a6f-a16b-0850f43a3b04

It looks like it will be Blythe at RG and Haeg at RT.  Both will struggle a bit by default, because they are rookies.  If Haeg pulls off an above ave. Game (let's say he gives up no sacks, and is hit and miss or better in the run game) he may not give the position back.  If he could hold up there, then Blythe is the issue and RG continues to haunt us, our biggest position of weakness for a few years.  If anyone else has to miss any part of the game, that leaves Clark who really is the only under achiever as a 3rd round pick.  It's sad that the guy picked almost as Mr. Irrelevant as a center is a better option than Clark to fill in, while Haeg in the 5th may be the steal of our draft, I think they need whichever RB is the best pass blocker to just camp out and be the check down only if & after Luck is safe. 

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It looks like it will be Blythe at RG and Haeg at RT.  Both will struggle a bit by default, because they are rookies.  If Haeg pulls off an above ave. Game (let's say he gives up no sacks, and is hit and miss or better in the run game) he may not give the position back.  If he could hold up there, then Blythe is the issue and RG continues to haunt us, our biggest position of weakness for a few years.  If anyone else has to miss any part of the game, that leaves Clark who really is the only under achiever as a 3rd round pick.  It's sad that the guy picked almost as Mr. Irrelevant as a center is a better option than Clark to fill in, while Haeg in the 5th may be the steal of our draft, I think they need whichever RB is the best pass blocker to just camp out and be the check down only if & after Luck is safe. 

Not really sad at all.  In fact far from it if you understand the situation.  I firmly believe that they knew Clark would not be ready this year and my guess is they hoped to have him inactive this year as much as possible.  He comes from a system that is nothing close to how they play in the NFL and needs development.  But his raw skills and measurables warranted his high draft choice.  

In other words, is it sad if it was planned?

My guess is that they see the Kelly - Haeg - Clark as their 2017 center to RT.

If Haeg excels at RT (he's naturally a tackle) why not keep him their? I think he really benefitted from being in the FPS (is that the right way to say it?) because they usually have kids for all 4 years, usually they are good students and citizens living in the middle of nowhere usually trying to get a real education and the coaches really can teach technique at a much deeper level than a 2 or 3 and done guy lost in most football factories,  It seemed to help his confidence as well.  Clark on the other hand really got no favors from his college experience and has to be rebuilt from scratch,  He seemed to get worse each time he played.

By the way, who was it that said he bought a Haeg Colt's Jersey? He gets a gold star...let's hope Haeg lives up to all this positive support.

Both Good and Reitz practiced today. It's possible both play, it's only Friday.  I'm expecting Good and Haag to start.  If we were playing Denver I would be nervous. Jacksonville not so much. I know all NFL teams are pros but there are differences.  Haag is a great prospect.  I am a expecting great game from him.

51 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Well Malik Jackson will give those rooks and nice warm welcome to the NFL and to Europe.  It may just be the experience this young line needs to find a unit that works.  If not Allen and Doyle.............SEND HELP!!

I believe Malik Jackson plays on the other side. I haven't really watched any Jags games this year though, do they move him around at all?

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

If Haeg excels at RT (he's naturally a tackle) why not keep him their? I think he really benefitted from being in the FPS (is that the right way to say it?) because they usually have kids for all 4 years, usually they are good students and citizens living in the middle of nowhere usually trying to get a real education and the coaches really can teach technique at a much deeper level than a 2 or 3 and done guy lost in most football factories,  It seemed to help his confidence as well.  Clark on the other hand really got no favors from his college experience and has to be rebuilt from scratch,  He seemed to get worse each time he played.

By the way, who was it that said he bought a Haeg Colt's Jersey? He gets a gold star...let's hope Haeg lives up to all this positive support.

FPS? Only thing I could think of was First Person Shooter.

7 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Blythe worries me way more than Clark. Just too undersized by modern day standards at 6'2'' and 290 lbs, also has extremely short arms and small hands.

Just seems like an automatic bull rush on every play.

Blythe is on the roster at 6"3 298 so its a little bit cause for concern but I think he will be alright.

37 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

If Good and Reitz are out, do you think they'd even consider moving Kelly over to RG to match up with Jackson, and put Blythe in at his natural C position? Seems better to me than Blythe at RG, but I'm no expert.

The colts drafted RK to be Luck's Centre for the next decade. I doubt they move him even for one game, especially in there fourth game together.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

FPS? Only thing I could think of was First Person Shooter.

Football Playoff Series... FBS Football Bowl Series.... that's what I was thinking... I had CPS and CBS (for college) and that didn't look right either... not sure what's right. I liked Division 1A and 1AA and 2 and 3 and NAIA.... we lived with those a long time.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I believe Malik Jackson plays on the other side. I haven't really watched any Jags games this year though, do they move him around at all?

I don't know.  But if I had all that fresh rookie meat out there I sure would let my veteran feast on them.  Either way between him and Fowler and A-gap blitzes (all things the Jags coordinator should use to test these young guys) it should be a great trial by fire for the young bucks.

I think both Good and Reitz will be active (but not 100%) this week.  My guess is that the OL will be Costanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg-Reitz.  As a young player, Good gets more time to get to 100% before (if) he resumes his starting role.  Reitz plays injured in the more important RT role, where his experience is invaluable.  I'm not worried, as it will be better than against SD, where we had RG Blythe and RT Haeg for the 2nd half...

7 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I thought Blythe looked a little lost at RG against the Chargers tbh. Clark obviously struggled in preseason games at RT, so its a tricky one. Thornton being injured doesnt help the situation either. I think I would go Haeg at RG and Clark at RT, with Clark getting alot of TE help.

Not ideal.

I'm pretty sure Blythe played 1 snaps vs the Chargers and it was at LG (when Mewhort had the scare). Blythe has played a total of 4 snaps this year.

9 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I thought Blythe looked a little lost at RG against the Chargers tbh. Clark obviously struggled in preseason games at RT, so its a tricky one. Thornton being injured doesnt help the situation either. I think I would go Haeg at RG and Clark at RT, with Clark getting alot of TE help.

Not ideal.

Blythe played one snap at LG and was used as an extra lineman on three other snaps. Not enough time to see if he was lost or not.