Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts held players-only meeting as front office tension continues

Colt^2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will start by saying that my response is based on assuming this is all true....

With that being said, this really makes me angry as a fan. Who knows how much better we could have been had the coaches been allowed to play the people they felt were the best fit. We may have one the SB by now. It could also be said that we could have done worse but I would take the opinion of the coaches who are with the players every practice over that of the front office.

Maybe canning Grigson isn't enough. Perhaps Irsay should just turn operations over to his daughter. It appears that his judgment is impaired if he is allowing this implosion to happen. It's now clear to everyone that Grigson is the common denominator here.

I'd personally like a detailed account of the changes in who plays and who sits Grigson is accused of making

I don't have a list but it has been rumored for a year now that he was responsible for pulling Shipley from the center position. A dumb move considering how well he was playing at the time.

I will start by saying that my response is based on assuming this is all true....

With that being said, this really makes me angry as a fan. Who knows how much better we could have been had the coaches been allowed to play the people they felt were the best fit. We may have one the SB by now. It could also be said that we could have done worse but I would take the opinion of the coaches who are with the players every practice over that of the front office.

Maybe canning Grigson isn't enough. Perhaps Irsay should just turn operations over to his daughter. It appears that his judgment is impaired if he is allowing this implosion to happen. It's now clear to everyone that Grigson is the common denominator here.

Nonsense.

I don't have a list but it has been rumored for a year now that he was responsible for pulling Shipley from the center position. A dumb move considering how well he was playing at the time.

He really wasn't playing very well, He missed multiple line calls...He is also sitting on the bench in Arizona

I'd personally like a detailed account of the changes in who plays and who sits Grigson is accused of making

Richardson is an obvious won. He never got better week to week either so it's not like the "showing progress" excuse was applicable. He remained in the lineup until the infamous "healthy scratch" incident.

Nicks might be another example too. Moncrief was clearly better by mid season last season,

Richardson is an obvious won. He never got better week to week either so it's not like the "showing progress" excuse was applicable. He remained in the lineup until the infamous "healthy scratch" incident.

Nicks might be another example too. Moncrief was clearly better by mid season last season,

But who this year? Maybe the Offensive Line 1st two games, but what else?

Nonsense.

That's it? Just nonsense huh? No rebuttal? No intelligent reply to back your elementary single word response? Nothing? I'm just starting to think that you have an affinity for me. Two straight posts in which you have nothing intelligent to say in regards to my comments. Please. Enlighten us with your endless wisdom crazycolt1. Why is this nonsense? I'll wait....

I'd like to call a posters only meeting here. To ensure we stop all the crazy defeatist knee-jerk alarmist claptrap which we see on a regular basis.

No forum mods, no community mods, no trolls and most importantly, no Patriots fans.

9pm ET, Saturday.

Let's turn this Forum around. Posters on 3...1, 2, 3....Posters!

I'd like to call a posters only meeting here. To ensure we stop all the crazy defeatist knee-jerk alarmist claptrap which we see on a regular basis.

No forum mods, no community mods, no trolls and most importantly, no Patriots fans.

9pm ET, Saturday.

Remember to sweep the thread for bugs, trojans, virus, key loggers, etc

That's it? Just nonsense huh? No rebuttal? No intelligent reply to back your elementary single word response? Nothing? I'm just starting to think that you have an affinity for me. Two straight posts in which you have nothing intelligent to say in regards to my comments. Please. Enlighten us with your endless wisdom crazycolt1. Why is this nonsense? I'll wait....

This is easy. You really think the Colts were good enough to beat the Patriots? That is nonsense. Jim Irsay is the owner. He will not turn over his team to anyone till he retires. Irsay has earned the respect from most of the fans of the Colts. I see your not one. Plus your sarcasm needs work. If you cant be any more sly than that, maybe you need more practice? Try some more name calling, it gets you very far in this forum.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/11/05/indianapolis-colts-team-meeting-chuck-pagano/75248720/

Why go to SB when Holder has the actual article? And because of the portion quoted below, this article has teeth. Much more than anything else that has been reported about this staff.

But, over time, concern among players has grown, with some feeling they were beginning to be personally affected and such a meeting was necessary to try and salvage the season.

The players, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the delicate nature of the situation inside Colts headquarters, outlined a number of concerns.

Chief among them: coach Chuck Pagano and his staff are being directed to follow lineup decisions — usually the coaches' prerogative — made by the front office, something numerous NFL sources confirmed. This has been a recurring source of irritation for Pagano and his coaches.During the past several weeks, and even dating to last season, there have been instances in which, sources said, players approached Pagano or his assistants with suggestions or requests, only to be told they could not act on the ideas because of forces beyond their control.

That's not good.

The article is written in such a way that I don't think Holder's sources are players, but rather 'NFL sources' who claim to have heard this from Colts players. Either way, this story is going round and round, and if it's true that this meeting was last week -- before the Panthers game, and before Pep was fired -- then it calls into question the effectiveness of this kind of leadership.

No question Pep needed to go. If it's true that he was Grigson's guy, then the fact that he's now gone might be a sign that Grigson's authority is reduced from what it was previously. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/1070-the-fan-1/1104-holder-jmv

I find this very interesting, especially with Holders article released tonight. JMV also mentions that he has heard rumor that TY returning punts was Irsay's call.

Speaking of JMV .... does he not take long pauses in between sentences?....It nearly drives me nuts. (But not even close to the voice and dramatic word usage by Ron Wolfley, AZ Cards announcer)

I was listening to the radio today and it sounds like Irsay might be sticking his nose where it doesn't belong so while I agree Grigson might be out of control that's nothing if Irsay is turning into a meddling owner. 

Why would Jimmy not meddle? It's his team. 

I was listening to the radio today and it sounds like Irsay might be sticking his nose where it doesn't belong so while I agree Grigson might be out of control that's nothing if Irsay is turning into a meddling owner.

At this point Irsay should be sticking his nose into what has been going on, actually long overdue. I am only surprised/disappointed if the reports are true that Irsay allowed Grigson to be micro-managing the coaches.

9pm ET, Saturday.

resized_forever-alone-meme-generator-hey

Geeze, why can't they just give the fulls reigns to Pagano.  Even for a game or two.  Pulling things around him is demeaning.  No wander the reports of him wanting out.  Who would want a HC job that doesn't have the control of a HC?  That's a set-up for a fall guy,...no matter how you slice it.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/11/05/indianapolis-colts-team-meeting-chuck-pagano/75248720/

Why go to SB when Holder has the actual article? And because of the portion quoted below, this article has teeth. Much more than anything else that has been reported about this staff.

That's not good.

The article is written in such a way that I don't think Holder's sources are players, but rather 'NFL sources' who claim to have heard this from Colts players. Either way, this story is going round and round, and if it's true that this meeting was last week -- before the Panthers game, and before Pep was fired -- then it calls into question the effectiveness of this kind of leadership.

No question Pep needed to go. If it's true that he was Grigson's guy, then the fact that he's now gone might be a sign that Grigson's authority is reduced from what it was previously. 

Thanks for posting the link Superman.

This goes to a comment I made a week or so ago.  Assuming the items mentioned in Holder's article are true, no coach worth his salt is going to come to Indy... nor should they, to carry on with Parcells cooking analogy, not only is he not being allowed to buy the ingredients, but he is also being told what kitchen utensils to use and in what order the ingredients need to be mixed in.

Perhaps that is Grigson's plan.  perhaps after this season Grigs wants to install himself as the HC (that is just speculation on my part).

Thanks for posting the link Superman.

This goes to a comment I made a week or so ago.  Assuming the items mentioned in Holder's article are true, no coach worth his salt is going to come to Indy... nor should they, to carry on with Parcells cooking analogy, not only is he not being allowed to buy the ingredients, but he is also being told what kitchen utensils to use and in what order the ingredients need to be mixed in.

Perhaps that is Grigson's plan.  perhaps after this season Grigs wants to install himself as the HC (that is just speculation on my part).

giphy.gif

That's not good.

I'm lead to believe Holder's sources are in fact the players since:

A. He says his sources are players speaking on anonymity.

B. It confirms what other reporters have said when they have gotten information from the organization.

Whether Pep was Grigson's guy or not, the offense sputtering out of control the way it has nearly every game that Luck has started warrants a firing. Grigson may be naive in some facets but he's no dummy either. His job is starting to be looked at just as much as the coaching staff's and firing one of them may, at least temporarily, deflect some of the blame from him.

All of that aside, if it's true that management is deeply interfering with the coaching staff, management needs to go. Let the coaches do their job.

I'm lead to believe Holder's sources are in fact the players since:

A. He says his sources are players speaking on anonymity.

B. It confirms what other reporters have said when they have gotten information from the organization.

Whether Pep was Grigson's guy or not, the offense sputtering out of control the way it has nearly every game that Luck has started warrants a firing. Grigson may be naive in some facets but he's no dummy either. His job is starting to be looked at just as much as the coaching staff's and firing one of them may, at least temporarily, deflect some of the blame from him.

All of that aside, if it's true that management is deeply interfering with the coaching staff, management needs to go. Let the coaches do their job.

Grigson has had ample time to get protection for Luck.

Luck is still paranoid it seems.

If Grigson is not letting Pagano coach, he needs to either be fired or fire Grigson.

Speaking of JMV .... does he not take long pauses in between sentences?....It nearly drives me nuts. (But not even close to the voice and dramatic word usage by Ron Wolfley, AZ Cards announcer)

i figured it out the other day.  he talks to someone else in studio and listens to the reply...  its like listening ot someone one on a phone call... 

Here is Grigson's history before the Colts:

Playing career[edit] College[edit]

Grigson played college football for the Purdue Boilermakers from 1991–1994.[1] On October 10, 1992 in a game against Minnesota, Grigson was hit in the stomach by a defender and developed a kidney ailment. He was hospitalized immediately after and missed the rest of the season.[2][3] Grigson returned for the 1993 season and was named one of three captains, along with Mike Alstott and Matt Kingsbury, for the 1994 season (Purdue's first winning season in a decade).[4]

Professional[edit]

Grigson was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the sixth round (175th overall) of the 1995 NFL Draft. He was signed to a contract by the Bengals on June 10, 1995, but was waived during final cuts on August 28. He was signed by the Detroit Lions shortly thereafter and spent the 1995 season with the team. He was released by the Lions on August 14, 1996.[5] He played for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League in 1997 before he suffered a career-ending back injury and was forced to retire.[1]

Executive and coaching career[edit] Early career[edit]

Following his retirement from playing, Grigson became a pro scout for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1998. In the same year, he was an assistant coach for McPherson College's football team. In 1999, he was a player personnel coordinator and assistant coach for the Buffalo Destroyers of the Arena Football League.[1]

National Football League[edit]

Grigson was hired by the St. Louis Rams as a national scout in 1999. He was part of the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV championship team in 1999 and the Rams' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXVI team in 2001 as an area scout.

On May 15, 2004, Grigson was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as a western regional scout. He was a part of the Eagles' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXIX team in 2004. On June 8, 2006, he was promoted to director of college scouting,[1] and on February 3, 2010, he was promoted to director of player personnel.[6]

It really hurts to take a look at who exactly we hired to be our GM...  His playing career in the NFL was short lived.  Drafted in the 6th, cut before the season started, and then picked up for one year as a deep backup.  He was then waived from that team also and joined the ​CFL where he was injured and forced to retire. 

PLAYER GRADE = F

So he wasn't a very good player, maybe he was a good lower level coach or something before we picked him to be our GM.  Lets see....

He was a ​​scout for a CFL team, assistant coach for a liberal arts college, and a player personnel coordinator for an arena league team.

He was a scout for the Rams and Eagles.  He put together the epic fail of a "Dream Team" in Philly.

NFL COACHING/PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE = D

What in the hell were we thinking hiring someone so freaking inexperienced to be the leader of our front office?????????????????????? 

Geeze, why can't they just give the fulls reigns to Pagano.  Even for a game or two.  Pulling things around him is demeaning.  No wander the reports of him wanting out.  Who would want a HC job that doesn't have the control of a HC?  That's a set-up for a fall guy,...no matter how you slice it.

If Irsay & Grigson have orchestrated this whole mess together ... we're in a lot of trouble.

SIGH!

Here is Grigson's history before the Colts:

Playing career[edit] College[edit]

Grigson played college football for the Purdue Boilermakers from 1991–1994.[1] On October 10, 1992 in a game against Minnesota, Grigson was hit in the stomach by a defender and developed a kidney ailment. He was hospitalized immediately after and missed the rest of the season.[2][3] Grigson returned for the 1993 season and was named one of three captains, along with Mike Alstott and Matt Kingsbury, for the 1994 season (Purdue's first winning season in a decade).[4]

Professional[edit]

Grigson was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the sixth round (175th overall) of the 1995 NFL Draft. He was signed to a contract by the Bengals on June 10, 1995, but was waived during final cuts on August 28. He was signed by the Detroit Lions shortly thereafter and spent the 1995 season with the team. He was released by the Lions on August 14, 1996.[5] He played for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League in 1997 before he suffered a career-ending back injury and was forced to retire.[1]

Executive and coaching career[edit] Early career[edit]

Following his retirement from playing, Grigson became a pro scout for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1998. In the same year, he was an assistant coach for McPherson College's football team. In 1999, he was a player personnel coordinator and assistant coach for the Buffalo Destroyers of the Arena Football League.[1]

National Football League[edit]

Grigson was hired by the St. Louis Rams as a national scout in 1999. He was part of the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV championship team in 1999 and the Rams' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXVI team in 2001 as an area scout.

On May 15, 2004, Grigson was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as a western regional scout. He was a part of the Eagles' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXIX team in 2004. On June 8, 2006, he was promoted to director of college scouting,[1] and on February 3, 2010, he was promoted to director of player personnel.[6]

It really hurts to take a look at who exactly we hired to be our GM... His playing career in the NFL was short lived. Drafted in the 6th, cut before the season started, and then picked up for one year as a deep backup. He was then waived from that team also and joined the ​CFL where he was injured and forced to retire.

PLAYER GRADE = F

So he wasn't a very good player, maybe he was a good lower level coach or something before we picked him to be our GM. Lets see....

He was a ​​scout for a CFL team, assistant coach for a liberal arts college, and a player personnel coordinator for an arena league team.

He was a scout for the Rams and Eagles. He put together the epic fail of a "Dream Team" in Philly.

NFL COACHING/PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE = D

What in the hell were we thinking hiring someone so freaking inexperienced to be the leader of our front office??????????????????????

It hurts having an owner like Irsay. Can we start #FireIrsay?

9pm ET, Saturday.

Unfortunately, even if we all wanted to the "outsiders" could still get in!  How about Starbucks @6?